• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announcing their new AAA IP before E3

Euron

This is also a online service focused game a la The Division/Rainbow Six/For Honor/Ghost Recon IIRC.
Well that kills any hype I could have had. Though being a Ubisoft open world game, I would have been proceeding with caution either way.

ohNOitsRO

Can't trust Ubisoft.. Doubt I'll be interested in whatever this game will be, because whatever it is that they show us, won't be what's actually released to us..

So thanks Ubisoft for making the decision easy..

Setsuna

Can't trust Ubisoft.. Doubt I'll be interested in whatever this game will be, because whatever it is that they show us, won't be what's actually released to us..

So thanks Ubisoft for making the decision easy..

What game are you talking about

What game was maketed as something different from its release?

Mediking

If it's following the Division's formula then its an automatic no buy from me. I want something similar to Quantum Break and Uncharted from Ubisoft.

How exciting! Ubi is awesome. They keep churning out new and different games with AAA treatment and budget. For Honor and Wildlands look awesome. I am anticipating whatever they announce.
Go Ubi!

Eh, I liked waiting until the end of their conference for their surprise. Helped build anticipation. Kind of a bummer.

This is also a online service focused game a la The Division/Rainbow Six/For Honor/Ghost Recon IIRC.
So likely nothing I'll really be interested in, neat. FFS, Ubisoft.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Like, a Black Flag follow-up as its own IP?
Yes. Full-on pirate without AC baggage.

It's been a while, but I swear there were legitimate rumblings of this, after the strong positive reception of BF's pirate theme.

SentryDown

They seem to learn, between this and WD2, they realized making hype trailers 2 years before release was dangerous. That's good.

It will be a new IP that is only about long laborious collection quests. There will be no main story...just treasure chests in far reaching places containing things like "a poker chip" or "old shoelaces". the goal will be to 100 percent it.

Green Yoshi

It would not suprise me if this bubble will burst.

Battleborn won't be the last online service focused game, that will bomb.

Nobody has the time to play all those games simultaneously. But I will have always time for a 14 hours long singleplayer campaign as in Uncharted 4.

sjay1994

If it's not an open world game, I'll be stunned.

Prepare to not be stunned. Its going to either be open world, multiplayer focused, or a combination of both.

What I really want to see is a more meaningful open world that actually has interesting things to find and do like in Witcher 3 where everything has a story to it.

Bandit1

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know, with Disney looking for more external license partners, and Ubisoft's general tendency to be inclined towards picking up licenses, I could easily see them do a POTC game or a Marvel game. EA's deal is conspicuously Star Wars-only and there's lots of room for success in this space. Not sure they'd want to do a game specifically attached to a film, but maybe just using the IP.

Reader note: I don't know anyone who's worked at Ubisoft in the last four or five years, so if I'm actually right, please don't fire anyone. It's just a blind guess.

sjay1994

You know, with Disney looking for more external license partners, and Ubisoft's general tendency to be inclined towards picking up licenses, I could easily see them do a POTC game or a Marvel game. EA's deal is conspicuously Star Wars-only and there's lots of room for success in this space. Not sure they'd want to do a game specifically attached to a film, but maybe just using the IP.

Reader note: I don't know anyone who's worked at Ubisoft in the last four or five years, so if I'm actually right, please don't fire anyone. It's just a blind guess.

A Pirates of the Carribean game using the technology and gameplay from black flag makes so much sense to make, but at the same time do you think ubisoft is interested in making a high profile licensed game?

They seem more invested in creating their own IP's/ strengthening theirs opposed to working on others. Last time I remembered them making a big deal about a licensed game was with Avatar (James Cameron).

I have the inside scoop.

It's going to be called "The Subtraction."

It is an MMO RPG set in the last inhabitable cities and areas around the world after a world war where everyone started launching nukes and no one knows who started it and why.

You have two roles to choose from.

A: You are a "Spy Hunter" working for the "New World Coalition" tasked with rooting out capturing and questioning members of a suspected network of spies that infest the cities and who are said to be responsible for a plethora of attacks upon it.

B: You are a "Spy" working for the mysterious "Shadow Net" who has become disillusioned with the governments that where and are since the war and you are working to figure out what actually happened and why. You will need to elude the "Spy Hunters" in order to do so.

Both classes will need to deploy subterfuge and stealthy tactics in order to infiltrate your opponents network for the info you need. The more info you get for your cause the more points you have to upgrade your spy equipment and abilities.

There will also be an influence system. The better you do at your civilian cover the more influence you will gain in society allowing you to take better jobs higher up the ranks with better possible payout but also with much higher risk. For as you become more of a public figure there will be more to your backstory that you will have to cover and convincingly play. There will be more eyes on you and it will make it hard for you to slip away unseen to do your missions if you want to progress.

The game will play as if both sides are morally just.

The gameplay itself will be like Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs had a baby on steroids. The world is populated with NPCs in a realistic environment and both classes are required to integrate into society in order to keep their respective covers. You don't know who anyone is, even from your own factions. You only get info from those you work for. You can choose from a variety of jobs on the civilian side and will also be tasked with missions from the people you work for as well. The challenge is to use clues conversation and detective work to figure out who is who while also not blowing your own cover. There will be safeguards to insure that people don't just go and shoot everyone. If you kill an NPC or a member of your own faction a certain number of times then you are booted from the game for a period of time.

There will be events to spice things up every once in a while ranging from small incidents to pretty substantial stuff, think 9/11.

Will spill more as the beans come to me. Ninjas may be coming after me though.

est1992

I have the inside scoop.

It is an MMO RPG set in the last inhabitable cities and areas around the world after a world war where everyone started launching nukes and no one knows who started it and why.

A: You are a "Spy Hunter" working for the "New World Coalition" tasked with rooting out capturing and questioning members of a suspected network of spies that infest the cities and who are said to be responsible for a plethora of attacks upon it.

B: You are a "Spy" working for the mysterious "Shadow Net" who has become disillusioned with the governments that where and are since the war and you are working to figure out what actually happened and why. You will need to elude the "Spy Hunters" in order to do so.

Both classes will need to deploy subterfuge and stealthy tactics in order to infiltrate your opponents network for the info you need. The more info you get for your cause the more points you have to upgrade your spy equipment and abilities.

There will also be an influence system. The better you do at your civilian cover the more influence you will gain in society allowing you to take better jobs higher up the ranks with better possible payout but also with much higher risk. For as you become more of a public figure there will be more to your backstory that you will have to cover and convincingly play. There will be more eyes on you and it will make it hard for you to slip away unseen to do your missions if you want to progress.

The gameplay itself will be like Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs had a baby on steroids. The world is populated with NPCs in a realistic environment and both classes are required to integrate into society in order to keep their respective covers. You don't know who anyone is, even from your own factions. You only get info from those you work for. You can choose from a variety of jobs on the civilian side and will also be tasked with missions from the people you work for as well. The challenge is to use clues conversation and detective work to figure out who is who while also not blowing your own cover. There will be safeguards to insure that people don't just go and shoot everyone. If you kill an NPC or a member of your own faction a certain number of times then you are booted from the game for a period of time.

There will be events to spice things up every once in a while ranging from small incidents to pretty substantial stuff, think 9/11.

Sheesh, I have no idea what to think of this, real or not.

schaft0620

I have the inside scoop.

Ehhhhh, I take South Park 2.

M2C3

Neo Member
Sheesh, I have no idea what to think of this, real or not.

Yep same. Sounds interesting if true. Not sure what to think but the detective aspect could be cool

Edit: Oh and if true, please for the love of god keep everything server side so we don't have another Division PC again

Lucreto

I expect another squad based shooter like the 3 they showed off last year. I really thought they would reduce the multiplayer games since they removed the pvp hide and seek multiplayer from Assassin's Creed series.

Ubisoft have nothing I am really interested in this year since there is no Assassin's Creed this year. Still hoping the Assassin's Creed collection is a thing.

I really hope for a pirate game as I am surprised how much I loved it in Black Flag and Rogue.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What game are you talking about

What game was maketed as something different from its release?
No one will ever answer this question. No idea why that kind of blatant shitposting is still allowed honestly. Because if we're gonna actually pay attention, Ubisoft is one of the companies that some gaffers scrutinize for actually advertising their games and tell us too much about it. Like, oh my lord some people live in a weird fantasy land where they false advertise every aspect of their games or something.

jschreier

No one will ever answer this question. No idea why that kind of blatant shitposting is still allowed honestly. Because if we're gonna actually pay attention, Ubisoft is one of the companies that some gaffers scrutinize for actually advertising their games and tell us too much about it. Like, oh my lord some people live in a weird fantasy land where they false advertise every aspect of their games or something.
Incidentally, from what I hear a lot of people over there were pretty shellshocked by the whole Watch Dogs "downgrade" backlash and have worked very hard to prevent that from happening again. (Hence why they're not revealing WD2 until a few months before it comes out.)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Incidentally, from what I hear a lot of people over there were pretty shellshocked by the whole Watch Dogs "downgrade" backlash and have worked very hard to prevent that from happening again. (Hence why they're not revealing WD2 until a few months before it comes out.)
Probably because aside from that original showing, (and a lot of the alpha footage), it looked very similar visually to what they were advertising. Ofc it didn't help that there were several cherry picked gifs being thrown around constantly.

Top Bottom