• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarienA said:
See that's where I disagree... Kat at least gave Starbuck something to compete against.

Right now it's just a standard pecking order and nobody is challenging anybody.. not only that but I'd be hardpressed to even NAME another Viper pilot besides Kat.
Which reminds me, when they made Kat CAG they had a decent shot of pilot hierarchy. I don't think you could see the entire list, but if anyone knows where some screen caps can be found that would be interesting to take a further look at.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Which reminds me, when they made Kat CAG they had a decent shot of pilot hierarchy. I don't think you could see the entire list, but if anyone knows where some screen caps can be found that would be interesting to take a further look at.

I noticed that too. There are some funny nicknames in there. "Fuzzy" and "Raygun" :lol

http://galacticabbs.com/index.php?a...key=caption&order_key=ASC&prune_key=30&st=920

gallery_1_26_4725.jpg

gallery_1_26_11944.jpg

gallery_1_26_15814.jpg

gallery_1_26_3819.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
ManaByte said:
FYI: Number Six is posing nude in the February issue of Playboy.

She's done nude stuff before BSG, but I'll take any additional stuff I can get, even extremely Photochopped Playboy crap. Now Grace Park needs to get teh naked.

She was just in "The Captain's Hand" last year. No references since. Pretty face, it's why she stood out in that episode.

I always remember the names of the pilots and what not. Years of playing Wing Commander style games in my earlier years makes me focus on the pilots in this show more than most people would.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Anyone else feel like BSG has been mediocre since Exodus pt2? It's like they blew their budget on this one awesome episode and then had to have a bunch of filler episodes. The Kat episode was OK, but I always disliked her character so there was no empathy there.

The Baltar is a cylon arc seems like a stretch. Weren't the Cylons talking about killing him around episode 5, and then one side argued they should keep him alive (around that virus episode)?

I'm hoping the mid-season finale tomorrow night can turn things around. Anybody going to that?

tedtropy

Eggo said:
Anyone else feel like BSG has been mediocre since Exodus pt2? It's like they blew their budget on this one awesome episode and then had to have a bunch of filler episodes. The Kat episode was OK, but I always disliked her character so there was no empathy there.

The Baltar is a cylon arc seems like a stretch. Weren't the Cylons talking about killing him around episode 5, and then one side argued they should keep him alive (around that virus episode)?

I'm hoping the mid-season finale tomorrow night can turn things around. Anybody going to that?

I've been loving the hell out of this season, last episode aside, and even it was passable. Yeah, the season started with a hell of a bang, but the writing's remained consistently good IMO.

Eggo said:

I don't agree. I think the season has been the best one so far with consistent quality across the board. Of course Exodus was an awesome episode, so nothing else can compare, but still, it's been a really good season in my opinion.

Baltar being a cylon may not be as big of a leap as you think. Especially considering the cylons don't know who the remaining five are or what they look like.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I just got back from the theater screening of The Eye of Jupiter, tomorrow night's episode, which is also the mid-season finale. It was cool that they did this screening. A lot of writers from the show were in attendance, and they did a short Q&A after it ended. The turnout for this was pretty nuts. We got there 1.5 hours before the screening was supposed to start, and we barely got in. There were so many people, they decided to do a second screening 1.5 hours later, but even with that, I doubt they'd be able to accommodate all the people in that line.

I was worried the series was on a downward slide this season, but this episode returned to greatness. More impressions of the episode (little to no spoilers, but spoiler tagging just in case):
It's a fantastic episode that covered a lot of different story arcs. It sets up multiple story lines that could be analyzed or resolved over the next 3-4 episodes easily.

Some of the areas covered in the episode:
*Xena's dreams/plan
*The Eye of Jupiter pointing the way to Earth
*The Lee/Kara relationship is expanded upon further

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAJOR SPOILERS (DO NOT READ if you don't want things ruined):
*The episode ends in a tense cliffhanger
*Boomer runs into Sharon and tells her Hera is alive.
*They set us up for a major battle next episode, with multiple arcs colliding, a la Exodus pt2

After the screening, they opened up the floor to a few questions and answers. The writers mentioned multiple times the ratings were doing poorly, and they encouraged people to tell their friends to start watching. They were also overwhelmed with the response to this screening (hopefully, they do something like that again). The Q&A ended with
someone asking, "Will we see one of the final 5 cylons before season 3 ends (previously, the writers mentioned it was already finished shooting)?" The writers conferred for 10 seconds, then said "Yes." Then someone in the audience asked, "Will we know we saw them?" but that went unanswered. :eek:

Mashing

Ratings are poor? That ****ing sucks. I hate to say it, but moving it to NBC just might be a good move (especially if it's paired with Heroes). I'm still pissed this show was passed over for a Golden Globe nomination. Would have helped it's visability.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Mashing said:
Ratings are poor? That ****ing sucks. I hate to say it, but moving it to NBC just might be a good move (especially if it's paired with Heroes). I'm still pissed this show was passed over for a Golden Globe nomination. Would have helped it's visability.

Yeah, that's why they're moving to Sunday at 10pm after the break, to try to find new interest in the series. One of the questions asked was, "Is the show in danger of getting cancelled?" and they said "Yes, although season 3 is already shot, so you'll probably see those at least."

Coop

Here is something about the ratings..
http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ask-Ausiello/default.aspx

Question: With the move to Sunday nights, should I be worrying that Sci Fi is mounting a last-ditch effort to save Battlestar Galactica, or are they just trying to boost its popularity? How dire is the situation?— Tim
Ausiello: Good news: I bumped into a high-ranking Sc Fi exec at a holiday party last week, and he/she scoffed at the mere suggestion that BSG might be in trouble. And it seemed like genuine scoffing, not just network spin. Of course, I was seeing double at that point, so my memory of the conversation is admittedly a little fuzzy.

it sucks the ratings are so low (around 1.4), I try to tell people to watch the show but they just laugh because of the name.

B.K.

Maybe they'll do a second mini-series to end the story after the series is cancelled, like they did for Farscape.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh, and interesting tidbit - I gather from other impressions that the episode was originally titled "Eye of Zeus," but they changed Zeus to Jupiter because it rolled off the tongue better or somesuch. (so they do at least recognize the Greek/Roman thing)

Someone posed this question to the writers, "Why the change from Zeus -> Jupiter?" They said there wasn't really a reason for it, purely aesthetic. No hidden meanings/conspiracy behind it. Was just a last minute change because they thought it sounded better. Actually, one of them quipped, "Well that day we had Greek food, and it was bad, so we changed it."

Coop

Great episode, Baltar looks like Jesus now. It was funny when Anders said, "What, you think youre the first?" to Lee :lol The whole Kara/Lee love stuff is getting stale, easily the worst part of the episode. I can't be the only person who thinks Roslin is being a bitch to Baltar right?? :( what else could he do when the cylons came?

And man, is Dean Stockwell ****ing awesome or what? I want a Cavil spinoff show, dammit.

He's great, I was waiting for him to say something to Tigh about his wife. Maybe next time ;)

As for the break it's not bad, last season was a couple of months.

tegdf

icarus-daedelus said:
Dude, Baltar signed her ****ing death warrant. Hers, and hundreds of other peoples. He only did that anyway to keep himself alive, and Roslin (as the only other person who has been president of the rag tag fleet for any real amount of time) would have expected him to sacrifice himself for those people. That's what I got out of it, anyway. Besides, it was fun watching Baltar squirm. :lol Everybody's reactions to Baltar were hilarious, too. The guy doesn't know when to shut up.

Did anybody else notice how much taller Lucy Lawless was compared to Edward James Olmos? He held his own pretty well, but I still chuckled a bit when Adama was staring down her nose.

Speaking of staring contests (which this ep. seemed bursting full of), Boomer vs. Athena was awesome, especially the stuff leading up to it. The Cylons' reaction to Sharon (more Dean Stockwell awesome), Tigh's reaction to Boomer, everything.

It was also really, really creepy to see non-Sharon cylons (and crazy hallucinatin'/projectin' Baltar, bwaha) walking around the hallways of the ship, not to mention the BSG being within kissing distance of four basestars.

Despite the awkwardness of some of the Anders/Starbuck/Apollo/Dee high school relationship drama scenes, I can't help but feel Anders and Dee were pretty awesome. They need to hook up and dump those crazy cheating pilot spouses of theirs.

Also: Chief Tyrol gets lines! I'll stop typing now, because this is becoming a small novel within a post, but wow, that was a great episode.

she was wearing high heels

Reese-015

WTF @ that cliff hanger...

Did they just create a situation in which EVERYONE of the characters is completely FRACKED?!!

Oh and... A MONTH?! WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH THAT?!

aku:jiki

icarus-daedelus said:
It'll be interesting to see how the writers get out of that one.
Come on, that part is completely predictable. Whatever happens on the planet, they'll be FTL-jumping right before the supernova and we'll see the Galactica flash away right before the shockwave comes.

Oh, and the eye of jupiter is the temple itself. That part is also too easy. The writers are getting sloppy.
Prove me wrong plz.

Holtz

Good finale, everything was working out great, except for the Apollo/Starbuck melodrama. Those two were much better as friends/rivals. :/

Reese-015 said:
Oh and... A MONTH?! WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH THAT?!

Most shows are on hiatus now for a month. Heroes, The Office, etc. It's not that unusual.

Last year Battlestar had a 4 month wait between season 2 & 2.5. I'll gladly take a month. And like JoshuaJSlone said, it was a 7 month wait between season 2 & 3.

bachikarn said:
Bah, I haven't been keeping up with this at all. Is 'Season 3.0' DVDs coming out any time soon?

Season 3 ends March 7th. I wouldn't expect the DVDs before Fall 2007. Probably around November or December if It's anything like the previous seasons. So might have almost a year to wait.

tedtropy

Ah yes, BSG back into its prime. Nobody does cliffhangers quite like these guys, and I loved that they reused the Season 2 whole Adama vs Cain theme music (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lNv9Qz-O-k - scene still gives me goosebumps). Anyone else get a raging hard-on in the scene where Adama prepared the nukes and the whole CG start-up sequence?

It's gonna be a rough month, but I've been rewatching my Season 1 DVDs and I get the sneaking suspicion I'll be getting at least part of Season 2 on DVD this Christmas, what with the oh-so-subtle hints I've been dropping on friends.

tedtropy

Coop said:
Saw this at another forum and thought it was pretty cool

190us5.jpg

Valley of Darkness

001gcecgud3.jpg

EOJ

Hah, wow, can't believe I didn't think of the connection...

Awesome episode. Can't wait to see where it goes.

How anyone can think Roslin is being a bitch to Baltar is beyond me. The guys has essentially betrayed the human race at least twice now. And when he was President it was the biggest disaster possible. Many people died under his watch, and they fell under Cylon rule. He deserves death if he's handed back over to the fleet. A long, slow, very painful death.

And anyone complaining about the one month layoff obviously haven't been watching this show for very long. Did you guys get caught up on the DVD's or something? Long breaks have been the norm, and this isn't a long break by BSG standards.

Just watched the episode...those last few minutes were so damn intense...

Very good episode.

And tedtropy, your avatar is freaking hilarious.

fat_lee.gif

Kung Fu Jedi said:
And anyone complaining about the one month layoff obviously haven't been watching this show for very long. Did you guys get caught up on the DVD's or something? Long breaks have been the norm, and this isn't a long break by BSG standards.
Heh, yeah. I have a friend who literally started watching the show with "The Story So Far" clip thing and then Exodus, and loved it so much that he quickly went out and watched the DVDs. (Like I told him to in the first place so major events wouldn't be spoiled!)

Him: A whole month!? :( :( :(
Me: Dude, we had to watch the season 2 finale then wait _7 months_ for this show to begin. Hell, both Stargate shows have been on mid-season break since before BSG season 3 started up, and won't be back until BSG season 3 is over.

tedtropy

CajoleJuice said:
Just watched the episode...those last few minutes were so damn intense...

Very good episode.

And tedtropy, your avatar is freaking hilarious.

fat_lee.gif

Thanks, Fat Lee had his moments. :lol

Costanza

Banned
Oh man, I just saw one of the trailers for season 3.5...

One will die, one will find out they're a cylon(then they show Rosalin, Admiral Adama, and Baltar), and one will find earth!

****, 21 MORE DAYS

lessthanthree said:

One will die, one will find out they're a cylon(then they show Rosalin, Admiral Adama, and Baltar), and one will find earth!

****, 21 MORE DAYS
WFTBBQAHGHAGHAPHGAHG!!!!!

21 days...:(

24 will keep me busy though.:)

Thaedolus

My parents finally got a HD receiver for their Dish Network. Five days later, their TV dies. So Saturday night I head out to Best Buy with my pops and pick up a 56" Samsung DLP. 1080p, the works. It's awesome.

The best part is I found the Universal HD channel, which shows BSG uncut and in HD, 5.1 sound. Last night was the two part season 2 finale. Awesome.

The bad part is I'm going back to school Wednesday :(

Kak.efes

lessthanthree said:

****, 21 MORE DAYS

So wait, one of either Adama, Rosalin, or Baltar will die? Or just one of them will be revealed to be a cylon? There's no way they'd kill off any of those characters.. unless it's a play on words, and one dies, only to be resurrected on a resurrection ship..

icarus-daedelus said:
Universal HD is one of the best things about having Direct TV, especially on Sunday nights when they show an episode of Firefly with an episode of BSG. It's too bad they take so long to release episodes, because I can hardly stand watching it on the Sci Fi channel.

Agreed. It's too bad the show doesn't debut on SciFi on Friday (Now Sunday I suppose) and then show up on UHD two or three days later. I'd skip the first airing in SD if I could watch in HD soon there after. The show looks great in HD, even with it's intentional grittiness.

Costanza

Banned
Kak.efes said:
So wait, one of either Adama, Rosalin, or Baltar will die? Or just one of them will be revealed to be a cylon? There's no way they'd kill off any of those characters.. unless it's a play on words, and one dies, only to be resurrected on a resurrection ship..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_fjXPvZFa4 There's the trailer. I think it's more that they were just flashing all the characters along, not that the ones shown during that sentence mean it's one of them.
damn I'm so ****ing hyped for this.

Watching that video they pretty much have the voice over saying the "One will die..." while showing every major character in the show, not to mention a minor character or two. For instance, they show Dee, who to me is just a minor character. If she were to die, it would change the dynamic of things, but wouldn't have the same impact of say Adama/Baltar/Roselyn dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom