• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Season 3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltar isn't going to eat it for some time. He's one of the characters that are a driving force behind the show, and to eliminate him would take away some of the mystery and conflict. I think it's already been said that he would see a trial, and now we can see how that will happen.

And lets not forget that Caprica Six is now aboard the Galactica. I could see her rescuing him and fleeing back to the cylons before it's all said and done.

Woakes

I thought the edit her of reaching out to one of the fives hands cutting to Baltar helping her up was a pretty big tell that one of them was him. Is still a live one of her running around somewhere that we know of? I quite like her character.

Great so Kara's just started getting a few episodes where she's not a total train-wrecked desperate hateable mess, and now we're potentially screwing her up again as either a prophet or a cylon? I'm starting to hate her character. I know angst and struggle is the point of the show but I really feel they need to throw in a few rays of sunshine now and again.

Pikmindictator said:
I could be racist here but, why was the black cylon model cut out of the loop when they where voting over the raider recal?

The actor couldn't be brought in to film this episode? I think you're digging kind of deep here.

Phoenix

Pikmindictator said:
I could be racist here but, why was the black cylon model cut out of the loop when they where voting over the raider recal?

Its racial!

100-its_racial.jpg

Pikmindictator said:

Relax. You didn't notice that he wasn't the only cylon not present? Doral wasn't there, either. The reason is simple: They don't always have access to the actors who portray them.

This episode confused and disappointed me. I was distracted while watching, so help me here:

The Eye of Jupiter was a Supernova? How was that helpiong them find Earth? Did they get what they needed?

Why was this temple going to help the Cylons identfy the other 5?

What's up with Kara's painting? Was there more to it than that she had this pictur ein her head her whole life? That was revealed in the episode, I mean.

Disappointments:

The episode pretty much resolved all the cliffahnger elements by the book. No surprises.

The Deena/Apollo/Kara/Whatshisname subplot is hella boring.

We don't even get to see *one* of the five? C'mon, give us a little something.

And the Eye of Jupiter thing.... meh. My wife's comment-- this is getting to be like a videogame. Get thing, solve the riddle, go to the next encounter. This is not a good thing.

About the only things of serious interest and surprise were "Welcome home Mr President" (awesome moment) and the Sharon stuff.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ignatz Mouse said:
The Eye of Jupiter was a Supernova? How was that helpiong them find Earth? Did they get what they needed?

The Eye was a signpost showing them were they went next. 4,000 years ago there was a supernova they were able to see from that planet, and that's where they headed.

ManaByte said:
The Eye was a signpost showing them were they went next. 4,000 years ago there was a supernova they were able to see from that planet, and that's where they headed.

Ah, thanks, I missed that. Did the Cylons also figure that out?

Vyse The Legend said:
She's resentful of the other Sharon that took her place on Galatica, hence the hatred.
True but she never even made an attempt to go back to Galactica which is why it's puzzling. If she had tried and failed to come back then I could understand but as of now if felt forced to me.

NimbusD

Systems_id said:
True but she never even made an attempt to go back to Galactica which is why it's puzzling. If she had tried and failed to come back then I could understand but as of now if felt forced to me.

Im in love with your icon, best moment in bsg ever.

I suppose the clues were vaguely there before, but it's neat to know that the 13th colony and the cylons are closely related, with the final 5 being revealed at the temple (or perhaps it was just the power of temple itself that empowerd her to have a vision, but the vision itself wasn't really related to the temple).

mamacint said:
I suppose the clues were vaguely there before, but it's neat to know that the 13th colony and the cylons are closely related, with the final 5 being revealed at the temple (or perhaps it was just the power of temple itself that empowerd her to have a vision, but the vision itself wasn't really related to the temple).

Whatwhatwhat?

I didn't get the association at all... and if they are releated, that's a major mind****. I like it-- but I didn't get that out of the episode, if it was hinted at in there.

I guess that might explain why that vision and the subplot with #3 happened (which didn't make much sense to me) but it doesn't fit with my understanding of the Cylon history.

Mashing

I can't be sure but was that location the final 5 were the same location that Baltar had a vision about Hera (the threatre). It looked eerily familar.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Whatwhatwhat?

I didn't get the association at all... and if they are releated, that's a major mind****. I like it-- but I didn't get that out of the episode, if it was hinted at in there.

I guess that might explain why that vision and the subplot with #3 happened (which didn't make much sense to me) but it doesn't fit with my understanding of the Cylon history.

Just the fact that she stepped into a vision a similar way that the Galactica crew did when they visited the other temple, or maybe she was *projecting*, hard to tell. She did have a Jupiter related vision in a previous episode though, and didn't she say "maybe God your Gods are connected somehow?"

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
NimbusD said:
Im in love with your icon, best moment in bsg ever.

Nah, Galactica and Pegasus teaming up to destroy the two Cylon basestars and Resurrection Ship was the best BSG moment. NERD BATTLE ON!

Mashing said:
I can't be sure but was that location the final 5 were the same location that Baltar had a vision about Hera (the threatre). It looked eerily familar.

Hmm, you may be right on that one...or they had to re-use the set for budgetary concerns. :D

Also, big potential spoiler preview pic of the next episode, although knowing BSG it's probably a dream sequence...

SPOILER LINK
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4558/bsgspoiler12es.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
mamacint said:
Interesting that the final five were referred to
as the creators and programmers of the Cylons
. (Unless I'm just putting more in than was actually there in that final cold storage discussion.)

Coop

tedtropy said:
Nah, Galactica and Pegasus teaming up to destroy the two Cylon basestars and Resurrection Ship was the best BSG moment. NERD BATTLE ON!

Hmm, you may be right on that one...or they had to re-use the set for budgetary concerns. :D

Also, big potential spoiler preview pic of the next episode, although knowing BSG it's probably a dream sequence...

SPOILER LINK
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4558/bsgspoiler12es.jpg

It is a dream, RDM confirmed it in a interview.

Btw, Im sticking to my original prediction that
Gaeta is a cylon..i've been saying this since season 1 and I'm not giving up yet. :)

Meier said:
My bet is that
the president
is one of the final 5.

I was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered that her cancer was cured with cylon blood or something. So you could say that if she was cylon she would have never gotten cancer.

They are leading us to believe that Baltar is cylon. Because of that I don't think he is, too obvious.

Nicodimas

Banned
Baltar is a Cylon. Maybe he is not a final five, but a prototype.

Either that or hes batshit insane.

Why does he keep seeing whatsherface talking to him.

maharg

idspispopd
thelegend69697 said:
I was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered that her cancer was cured with cylon blood or something. So you could say that if she was cylon she would have never gotten cancer.

*hybrid* blood. But that assumes she was really sick to begin with. Which is the problem, really. In guessing who's a cylon, their actions are not a very good indicator of their 'guilt.' The two Sharon's have done plenty of non-cylonish things while they were under cover, for example.

maharg said:
*hybrid* blood. But that assumes she was really sick to begin with. Which is the problem, really. In guessing who's a cylon, their actions are not a very good indicator of their 'guilt.' The two Sharon's have done plenty of non-cylonish things while they were under cover, for example.

I'm not sure how she could act like she had cancer. My opinion is based off the fact that she was diagnosed with cancer by multiple doctors. But I guess we will find out soon enough. I actually hope I'm wrong because I've always thought that she was cylon.

thelegend69697 said:
I'm not sure how she could act like she had cancer. My opinion is based off the fact that she was diagnosed with cancer by multiple doctors. But I guess we will find out soon enough. I actually hope I'm wrong because I've always thought that she was cylon.

For all we know, the Cylons could give themselves cancer. The series plays pretty fast-and-loose with the Cylon rules, and I would not put it past them to have an "explanation" for something like this.

BTW-- Are we ever going to find out that the Cylon "plan" is? It sure doesn't seem like they have a plan for like a season and a half now! Are tehy really trying to stop Galactica, follow it, or something completely different? Perhaps the plan is/was to make the humans feel hunted and watch them adapt? What the hell.

Still love the show.

Ignatz Mouse said:
BTW-- Are we ever going to find out that the Cylon "plan" is? It sure doesn't seem like they have a plan for like a season and a half now! Are tehy really trying to stop Galactica, follow it, or something completely different? Perhaps the plan is/was to make the humans feel hunted and watch them adapt? What the hell.

Still love the show.

I figured that their plan was the same as the humans: find Earth.

icarus-daedelus said:
I do too, although I think the main problem with this episode was that not only did we get a huge dump of information, but none of it was telegraphed very clearly; although the episode was technically the second part of a two-parter, it seemed more like a setup for things to come later on in the season/show, too.

I didn't get the huge dump of information. Just a few teasers. Unless I am missing something.

Bottom lime-- BSG continues to Earth, Gaius back on BSG, #3 is boxed.

icarus-daedelus said:
OK. What are you confused about, then?

I listed them in my post (and some were becuase I was distracted while watching):

What the eye of Jupiter was (Mana filled me in)
Why it was the Cylons got some revelattion from the temple (answer: I dunno, perhaps to be explained in the future?)
Kara's relation to the eye-- unexplained mysticism, apparently. I didn't catch all the dialogue surrounded here talking about it, so I may have missed something.

Ignatz Mouse said:
How it was the Cylons were going to get some revelattion from the temple (answer: I dunno, perhaps to be explained in the future?)

The Cylons wanted to get to the temple before the humans and find the key to locating Earth. I swear they explained that a couple episodes back.

distantmantra said:
The Cylons wanted to get to the temple before the humans and find the key to locating Earth. I swear they explained that a couple episodes back.

I know why they wanted to go there, I wasn't sure why #3 had that vision there. Seemed random to me, and further irritating that she gets to see the five, and then gets written out.

Oh, I guess I caught all the stuff about Kara that there was. I thought maybe there was a little more explanation.

I see a pattern here-- it's not what I actually missed, it was some cohesive explanations for what we saw. Lots of unexplained mysticism in this episode. Bleah, they over-rely on that as it is already.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I know why they wanted to go there, I wasn't sure why #3 had that vision there. Seemed random to me, and further irritating that she gets to see the five, and then gets written out.

Remember right after the sun went supernova, you saw the top spire inside the temple begin to glow with bright light? Apparently that was a bunch of that mysticism you dislike shooting down into the temple. I'd frankly be upset if they just explained away everything with logic right away, otherwise everything would be wrapped up too soon.

Do you really think #3 is gone? She'll be back.

I thought the episode was fantastic. Answered some questions, closed the book on some issues, and raised a slew of new ones (Starbuck's prophecy, who exactly is one of the Final Five, etc.)

Unlike some others in this thread, I think Boomer's progression is pretty good actually. She never really had the chance to reintegrate, and doing so would not have jived at all with the humans; I mean she nearly killed Adama after all. However, when she first downloaded she never really meshed with the Cylons either; she insisted on keeping her name, living in her old apartment, etc. It was only when she met Caprica 6 that she finally decided to take her unique position and lead the Cylons to a different path, i.e. what happened on New Caprica. She had the intention of trying to live with the humans peacefully, even going out of her way to tell Cally that she was happy for them. However the humans never at all accepted this (for obvious reasons) and got the hell out of dodge, and ended up again as an enemy. After all these events, I can totally see why she's so jaded.

As for the identity of one of the Final Five,
I don't think it's Baltar, because it's too obvious and I think the writers enjoy having him be a complex mess. By having him be a Cylon, it's almost like saying "well no wonder he did all that crazy stuff! He's been one of them all along!" whereas if he isn't, then he's still an antagonist, but fed strictly off his own arrogance. Baltar's a narcissistic, extremely warped and complicated character, but a Cylon? Methinks not.

I really think it's gonna be someone that you have NO idea to expect. Anders? Roslin? Tigh? Kara? Ellen Tigh comes back as one? Hell maybe even Lee or Adama? (there'd have to be loads of explanations for either one of those.)

My personal vote would be for Billy to come back as a Cylon, with a vengeance. :)

This show rocks.

Just thinking again, hasn't Roslin twice identified Cylons through her supposed dreams/visions?

She saw the face of the one that kept Starbuck in a love den on New Caprica in a dream/nightmare before he was found and known to be a Cylon. (I believe that's how it happened right?)

Also, in a flashback/memory she remembered seeing Baltar/Six making out. That could be possible, but maybe she was just unconsciously inserting that into her memory.

Boogie

mamacint said:
She saw the face of the one that kept Starbuck in a love den on New Caprica in a dream/nightmare before he was found and known to be a Cylon. (I believe that's how it happened right?)

Uh, no, Adama guessed at Leoben being a Cylon when they were trapped together at Ragnar Anchorage in the pilot miniseries.

Zen

Banned
One of the final five could be Anders, just some speculation because of how 3 paused and said "It's you... I'm sorry if I had known..." Remember she had tried to kill Anders personally in season 2.

Coop said:
And I think they had pictures of Six before her vision of Baltar/Six

But she had memories of seeing Baltar/Six together on Caprica, just saying it may not be a real memory. DUN DUN etc...

Quick question:

When did the fleet find out that Number 3 was a Cylon? AFAIK in the documentary episode, we the audience find out at the very end when she's revealing Athena's preganncy, but I don't recall the humans ever finding out. Was it the occupation of New Caprica?

distantmantra said:
Remember right after the sun went supernova, you saw the top spire inside the temple begin to glow with bright light? Apparently that was a bunch of that mysticism you dislike shooting down into the temple. I'd frankly be upset if they just explained away everything with logic right away, otherwise everything would be wrapped up too soon.

Do you really think #3 is gone? She'll be back.

I don't want everything explained, I'm just feeling a little string along and *everything* is mysterious voodoo lately.

Throw us a bone-- wrap up or explain *one thing*!

Reese-015

It's definitely still pretty much the best series out there but I think they've gone far down since Resurrection Ship, with a few exceptions.

BSG used to be so goddamn character driven, gimme episodes like Flight of The Phoenix or pretty much anything season 2 up to the crappy ones over this stuff.

I wanna see them play out the unique relationships of Apollo & Starbuck, Apollo & Commander Adama, Adama & Rosslin etc the way that they used to, added so much atmosphere.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
My read on the series mythos:

If the 13th Colony is advanced enough to leave an astronomical bread-crumb trail thousands of years before it was followed involving celestial events yet to occur (Eye of Jupiter) then they're probably advanced enough to imprint genetic memory into offspring generations hence. Such being the explanation for what we're seeing with Starbuck and Baltar.

13th Colony/Final Five are one in the same, I think. Either in straightforward sense as silent stewards for the "lesser" human colonies who also helped the Cylons to ascend to a higher form of being or more indirectly as beings emerging from genetic memory, as crafted by the original 13th Colony.

maharg said:
It doesn't necessarily follow that just because plot point A is picked up as a relation to plot point B that they were planned together. If that were the case, soap operas would be the most impressive long term planning ever.
except soaps have tons of RETCONS and SORAS

and sometimes, just plain ignoring previous facts with no explanation whatsoever

antipode

Did anyone else download this episode on iTunes and find it very poorly mastered? I can barely make out characters' faces in dark scenes, like around 22 minutes. I feel like asking for my money back, unless there is something I can do about it (I don't see a brightness level in iTunes?)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mashing said:

Yeah, according to the podcast commentary it is intentionally in the same opera house. Yes, I'm a huge BSG dork that eagerly anticipates the commentary tracks and listens to them while on lunch at work...

Frog

IAmtheFMan said:
Quick question:

When did the fleet find out that Number 3 was a Cylon? AFAIK in the documentary episode, we the audience find out at the very end when she's revealing Athena's preganncy, but I don't recall the humans ever finding out. Was it the occupation of New Caprica?

Presumably on New Caprica when they were all living together between seasons. Also Anders had seen her face before returning to Galactica in LDYB2, so it could have been around that point. We never saw "the moment" when the Colonials found out about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom