• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child story leaks out (Spoilers obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was discussion of this in the picture thread, but this really deserves its own thread.

I won't post the actual text of the articles, but here are two versions, one via Tumblr and another via The Daily Beast:

Part I
http://corpidicarta.tumblr.com/post/145605618010/i-know-its-a-lot-to-ask-but-would-you-consider

Part II
http://corpidicarta.tumblr.com/post/145680623155/im-too-tired-for-a-longford-summary-here-are-the

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ild-spoilers-here-s-the-plot-of-the-play.html

EDIT:
It should be noted in the OP that the Daily Beast version is a much more detailed rundown of the plot points.

Duly noted. The Daily Beast is the version I read all the way through. It's absolutely insane.

Qq6Fk7q.gif

Yeah, it sounds fucking insane. Maybe it works really well when you see it actually performed and such, but I'm disappointed how much is relies on past events and characters. Was hoping if they were going to go the route of another dark wizard being a big threat it wouldn't be someone relating to Voldemort.

sphagnum

Banned
I heard it retcons important stuff ...is it true ?

Yes, but it resolves it all by the end of the play. For example, Albus and Scorpius accidentally cause Ron and Hermione to never get together when they time travel, leading to Rose and Hugo not existing in the present. They then screw up further allowing Voldemort to win the war. But everything is set right by the end.

The only big retcon (and it's not really a retcon since it doesn't change something but adds something, I would say) is that Voldemort and Bellatrix had a daughter, Delphie.

Wanderer5

Uggggggggh why did she went this route. I thought Rowling didn't like the idea in the end. I probably still read/watch it (via video recording if they come out with one), but I am disappointed.:/

And honestly even if this has great actors and stage design, that didn't really help Love Never Dies much......

Well, the epilogue was the single worst passage in all seven Harry Potter book, so it's not surprising that something predicated on it is... whatever the hell this is.

So I finished reading it all the way through.

What's weird is that in some ways, the story is nearly completely pointless.

I mean, I guess arguably Harry, Albus and Scorpius (lol @ that name) get some character building, but the whole thing is a gigantic waste.

Kimaka

s75R4lM.gif

Yeaaaah, I really dislike the Voldemort retreading. Let him go. I mean there is so much fuckery other than that that is going on too, but I had to stop reading the article to try to process this for a moment.

So I finished reading it all the way through.

What's weird is that in some ways, the story is nearly completely pointless.

I mean, I guess arguably Harry, Albus and Scorpius (lol @ that name) get some character building, but the whole thing is a gigantic waste.

what's the best way to write a new story, make millions, and not have to come up with a whole new set of characters and villains and situations?

Why, do
family angst and time travel of course

ZOOM ZOOM

I feel it is just a matter of time before this is made into a movie. Probably after the Fantastic Beasts movies are finished, that way the original cast would be old enough.

Pappasman

Instead of doing something new and interesting, this just sounds like an excuse to retread a bunch of old elements from the books purely for fanservice.

MattyG

Banned
I keep comparing it to The Force Awakens' style of "next generation sequel". I think my biggest problem with this is that rather than doing what Star Wars did and using the old elements as a launchpad to something bigger, this is retreads older elements to no ultimate effect.

what's the best way to write a new story, make millions, and not have to come up with a whole new set of characters and villains and situations?

Why, do
family angst and time travel of course

ZOOM ZOOM
That's what's even more shocking.

I mean, I love Harry Potter, but it's not like it was a literary masterpiece.

But this is like near creative bankruptcy. You go "just kidding!" with a story beat from the Order of the Phoenix, then you write a single new (and from all accounts rather uninteresting) character, bring back old characters and just chuck them into a time travel-family angst blender.

Instead of doing something new and interesting, this just sounds like an excuse to retread a bunch of old elements from the books purely for fanservice.

I keep comparing it to The Force Awakens' style of "next generation sequel". I think my biggest problem with this is that rather than doing what Star Wars did and using the old elements as a launchpad to something bigger, this is retreads older elements to no ultimate effect.
Yep, that's exactly what I thought. There's nothing new here. This isn't a launchpad for JKR to finally give everybody an "Expanded Universe" of sorts with HP. It just go back to the same old, tired well and does something that seems to be not even vaguely compelling with it.

Wanderer5

Lol.
"Every conversation in this alternate reality ends by people crossing their wrists and saying: For Voldemort and valor."

Saturday

this is, uh, pretty dense. I was expecting a stand-alone story, not Rowling's compiled notes of ideas for the next six Harry Potter novels.

Also, the hell at
Harry & the cast having to watch Lily & James die.
Dude spends his entire childhood fighting off evil and now it's like "You know what? Despite my messed up past I'm relatively mentally healthy as an adult, I could really use a break from that."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom