• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child story leaks out (Spoilers obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
A summary would be appreciated

Edzi

So aside from this being terrible, doesn't this contradict the way time travel works in the HP universe according to the third book? It's supposed to be a stable time loop, not this mess.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So aside from this being terrible, doesn't this contradict the way time travel works in the HP universe according to the third book? It's supposed to be a stable time loop, not this mess.

Time travel generally tends to suck ass when featured in a work that's not centred on time travel.

TheXbox

Stopped reading halfway through. I can't handle
time travel fuckery
. I can't.

Also: we need to spoiler tag shit in a spoiler thread about spoilers?

Well, that's very fan servicey.

It has some good ideas and character moments going from the summaries, but it might be a little too convoluted of a narrative for its own sake.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Stopped reading halfway through. I can't handle
time travel fuckery
. I can't.

Also: we need to spoiler tag shit in a spoiler thread about spoilers?

We're trying to give people a second chance to bail out from the fuckery.

Quentino

Neo Member
WOW I hope they never try to make this into a movie. I cant believe Rowling came up with such a mess of a story. This even got me worried for Fantastic Beasts.

Toxi

Banned
Literally the second sentence
For years, there has been a rumor about an existing time-turner that Draco and Astoria had used to go back in time and have Voldemort father their kid. In short, some people believe that Scorpius is Voldemort’s son.
This sounds like the Harry Potter equivalent of r/KotakuInAction.

Wanderer5

So I guess
Voldemort and Bellatrix's child (Oh god I can't believe this is a thing in canon) can grow wings or something, and that what the logo is all about?

Permanently A

Jokes on you guys, they grabbed the first thing they found off fanfiction.net and built a whole production out of it to prevent leaks for the REAL show.

...right? right guys?

Edzi

So I guess
Voldemort and Bellatrix's child (Oh god I can't believe this is a thing in canon) can grow wings or something, and that what the logo is all about?

The fun thing about canon is that once an author/creator get's too nuts, you can just pick and choose which sources are the true canon as your personal head canon (on top of the whole "Death of the Author" stuff). For me, anything that comes out of JK Rowling's head after the books is garbage, so I feel okay rejecting it. I was forced to do the same with Kojima after MGS3.

Life is better this way.

Jigorath

Banned
What the fuck did I just read.

What makes me laugh the most is that Rowling didn't even follow her own rules of time travel she set up in Prisoner of Azkaban. It's supposed to be a closed loop. Not this Back to the Future shit.

Toxi

Banned
Delphi is not Amos’ niece, but Voldemort’s daughter whom he had with Bellatrix Estrange a few months before the Battle of Hogwarts and whom was kept a secret.
I... what.

So does this mean Voldemort has a working dick?

Toxi

Banned
What the fuck did I just read.

What makes me laugh the most is that Rowling didn't even follow her own rules of time travel she set up in Prisoner of Azkaban. It's supposed to be a closed loop. Not this Back to the Future shit.
To be fair, lots of series about time travel do that. See: Terminator vs Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Wanderer5

She actually said this on Pottermore regarding the time turners:

I went far too light-heartedly into the subject of time travel in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. While I do not regret it (Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favourite books in the series), it opened up a vast number of problems for me, because after all, if wizards could go back and undo problems, where were my future plots?

I solved the problem to my own satisfaction in stages. Firstly, I had Dumbledore and Hermione emphasise how dangerous it would be to be seen in the past, to remind the reader that there might be unforeseen and dangerous consequences as well as solutions in time travel. Secondly, I had Hermione give back the only Time-Turner ever to enter Hogwarts. Thirdly, I smashed all remaining Time-Turners during the battle in the Department of Mysteries, removing the possibility of reliving even short periods in the future.

This is just one example of the ways in which, when writing fantasy novels, one must be careful what one invents. For every benefit, there is usually a drawback.

Delio

Ugh what the hell did I just read. Also wow Scorpius and Albus have a lot of "Heart eyes" moments which is kinda cute.

Samimista

The sad thing is they will end up turning this into a movie and I'll go see it cause I'm pathetic

Even though my head physically hurts from reading the spoilers, I'm right there with you. I'd probably see this on opening night like I have with the other Harry Potter films, lol.

Cheebo

Banned
Why are people acting like this is only a play that they will never get to see the full story?

The book verison of the play is out July 31st to those who are unaware.
book.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Reads like fanfic.

The only reason I know it isn't is that Draco Malfoy doesn't seem to have leather pants and Ron's not a Death Eater in secret.

Samimista

Why are people acting like this is only a play that they will never get to see the full story?

Aaaand I'll be buying this to go with my Harry Potter book collection.

Permanently A

She actually said this on Pottermore regarding the time turners:

Yeah but I mean now they have a time turner with unlimited travel time. Like they can go back in time and pick up Tom Riddle's basket and raise him with care. It'll completely alter the timeline but millions of wizards would be saved.

rowling what the fuck

book.jpg

i ain't touching that with a 10 foot pole until we get confirmation from readers it's not as bad as these summaries make it seem.

And like a whole fucking corner of my house is a bible to harry potter. I just went to Fan Expo SOLELY to get the signature of Fred and George Weasley.

JackDT

That is even more bananas than I expected from the surprised comments here.

To be fair, if you read a plot summary of a Harry Potter novel rather than the book -- devoid of dialog and all the charming characterization and atmosphere -- it would probably be pretty bad too.

But even so... what a crazy story.

I'm sure it will be a least somewhat better when we can read the actual script and some of the charm should come through in the actual dialog.

Saturday

A summary would be appreciated

I gotcha.

Harry & Ginny sees their son, Albus, off to Hogwarts. He meets Scorpio, Draco's son, on the Hogwarts Express. Surprise, Scorpius is a'ight. They become best friends. Albus gets into slytherin. Ain't that something.

Year later. Albus has beef with Harry, but it's regular father-son 'living in your shadow' cowboy shenanigans. It's revealed Time-Turners still exist, one has been found. Amos Diggory, the father of Cedric Diggory, says to Harry, now head of Magical Law Enforcement and therefore in possession of the illegal time-turner, 'hey you should fuck around with time to save my son.' Harry says no, Albus overhears this along with Amos Diggory's niece, Delphie Diggory.

Albus steals the time-turner and decides to fuck around with time, citing that a lot of people have died because of Harry. Scorpius, Albus, and Delphie all go to sabotage Cedric during the triwizard cup, because winning the cup ended up killing him. It doesn't go as planned, alternate universe is made where Ron marries Padma, Hermione becomes a teacher, surprise surprise Albus and Harry don't get along still.

The three go back in time again and properly fuck everything up. Only Scorpius manages to go back to the present, because, well, they properly fucked everything up. By sabotaging Cedric and embarrassing him in front of Hogwarts he becomes a death eater and kills Neville and so Harry dies at the battle of Hogwarts. Umbridge is now headmistress of Hogwarts, for Voldemort & For Valor, Scorpius is known as 'The Scorpion King' and apparently there's a thing called a blood ball and I'm just rambling so let's move on.

Ron and Hermione are the world's most wanted criminals, hidden by Snape, still alive, still ballin. Scorpius convinces the three he's from an alternate universe and so all of them go back in time to fix the timeline, in what I'm sure is a shot-for-shot remake of Back To The Future 2. Alternate Ron, Hermione & Snape all die in the process.

The timeline is fixed, and everything's found out by the adult cast who's been tracking them down this entire time and so Albus & Scorpius are, uh, put into detention for the rest of the year. Jesus, when I type that out I realize how inconsequential it all sounds. the boys lie about the time-turner being broken, and decide enough's enough and that they should break it themselves. But before they can do anything, Delphie, summoned by the two boys and properly filled in on what happened in the other universe- disables the two and takes the time-turner.

Plot twist, she's Voldemort's kid. Voldemort and Bellatrix's kid, actually. She goes back in time to sabotage Cedric for a third time- damn, poor guy, taking L's after death- but is stopped by the two boys. They end up in Godric's Hollow, where Delphie is planning to... ugh, it's not worth typing all up, you think it'd just be killing Harry but it's not, so basically just back to fucking up time. They manage to signal the adult cast in the future, who wrangle up another hidden time-turner from Draco and so the entire cast is reunited, Albus & Harry fight Delphie, win, and they all watch Harry's parent's deaths before hopping back to the present. Delphie ends up in Azkaban. Harry & Albus visit Cedric's grave.

Something something friendship? redemption? courage? 'You were named after two great men, who had flaws, but their flaws made them better.'

TL;DR Out of spite, Harry's kid dicks around with time, ends up fighting Voldemort's kid who also wants to dick around with time. Harry watches his parents die.

Kimaka

Together they all watch as Harry�s parents are murdered. Harry collapses to the floor in tears.
Holy shit

Is it bad that I burst out laughing when I read that line?

book.jpg

I thought that was only the script of the play and not an actual novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom