• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet Collectors Edition

snatches

Hey Guys,

I just was notified that Lost Planet is still on track for a January release in North America and they are going to be releasing a Collectors Edition. I pushed for details and all they were saying at this point is that the premium version would include 3 exclusive multiplayer maps, one only available if you preordered.

No word yet on other details except metallic packaging.

I can't wait for this game and it looks incredible but I hate this trend of collectors editions. It turns an already expensive $59 game into a $69 game.

Hopefully online matchmaking wont be affected like it was with GRAW.

How it is going to work:

On November 23rd, a multiplayer Lost Planet demo will hit the marketplace.

This download will include one exclusive multiplayer map that will integrate with the retail release of the game.

If you preorder either version of the game, you will receive a scratch ticket and if you enter this into the marketplace, you will receive another multiplayer map bonus download.

If you preorder the collectors edition, you will receive another exclusive multiplayer map to use in the game.

Tieno

I'd buy the CE of Lost Planet, but I don't know wether I think it's a good idea those multiplayer maps are exclusive...especially the one only available through pre-order. EA did something like that with battle for middle-earth on the 360...
Edit: No, don't like it at all Capcom!

Jeff-DSA

snatches said:
Hey Guys,

I just was notified that Lost Planet is still on track for a January release in North America and they are going to be releasing a Collectors Edition. I pushed for details and all they were saying at this point is that the premium version would include 3 exclusive multiplayer maps, one only available if you preordered.

I can't wait for this game and it looks incredible but I hate this trend of collectors editions. It turns an already expensive $59 game into a $69 game.

This premium pack for extra maps pisses me off...almost as much as extra maps for preordering. Way to stick it to your fans, Capcom. Bravo!

Man, Lost Planet is the 360 game I've been looking forward to most since E3. Now I'm just pissed. I'll still get the game, but I'm going to be bitter about either missing out on some features or having to pay extra for them.

REV 09

i'm sure you'll be able to download the maps sooner or later. Either way we'll end up paying extra for them though.

snatches

I really think they need to make $59 the premium price for Collectors editions and such. $49 for a bare bones version.

Kabouter

snatches said:
75 euro for Gears of War CE here bitches.
(That'd be 94 US dollars)

GhaleonEB

I'm on this like flies to fresh elephant dung, but "3 exclusive multiplayer maps, one only available if you preordered" is the worst ****ing kind of LE ever. All that's going to do is fragment the online community from the word go, and make the regular SKU purchasers feel cheated.

I'm really, really excited for this game, but that's really not classy, not all all, Capcom.

Uncle Dukey said:
It's not cool to split the userbase from the very beginning...
beaten

Dahbomb

This has to be one of the worst investment of your $10 EVER!

$10 for 2 extra maps? LOL they will probably be cheaper as a Microtransaction...

This game is going to own, and apparently Capcom realizes this.

GhaleonEB

Dahbomb said:
This has to be one of the worst investment of your $10 EVER!

$10 for 2 extra maps? LOL they will probably be cheaper as a Microtransaction...

This game is going to own, and apparently Capcom realizes this.
good point

it's basically a baked-in microtransaction for those extra maps

now I feel all dirty for wanting it. :(

Owzers

Lame. $70 Collector's editions have replaced pre-order bonuses. Give me an incentive not to wait till your game drops below $40, don't hike the price up another $10 in collector edition fashion. $70 ftl.

Mrbob

I was checking EBgames yesterday, and noticed practically every 360 game coming out has a CE attached to i t.

Glad to see Capcom is shattering the online userbase before launch. Usually they do it after launch but this time they are a step ahead!

GhaleonEB

sillymonkey321 said:
Lame. $70 Collector's editions have replaced pre-order bonuses. Give me an incentive not to wait till your game drops below $40, don't hike the price up another $10 in collector edition fashion. $70 ftl.
I'll pay $70 if

1) the core game is truly AAA stuff
2) the LE packaging and extras rock

for me, GoW is fine for $70 considering the game and package; Oblivion met 1) and failed 2). I think LP will be AAA game...but that LE set does not sound so hot.

Still buying it though. I'm weak. :(

jarrod

Banned
I wouldn't worry about it much, no doubt the extra maps will be made available in the XBLM sooner or later....

*preorders CE*

Mifune

Mehmber
I just refuse to buy limited editions on general principle. 10 bucks more for some middling extras? Don't encourage ass rape! Or devs will start throwing in exclusive multiplayer maps. Oops, too late.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mifune said:
I just refuse to buy limited editions on general principle. 10 bucks more for some middling extras? Don't encourage ass rape! Or devs will start throwing in exclusive multiplayer maps. Oops, too late.

If only there were less idiots in the world, maybe the Collectors Edition would not have arisen.

Gears LE just doesn't grab me.

this... might go for it, if only because i know the crazy guys i play games online with will all get it and want to play on the exclusive maps a lot. 3 maps isn't worth $10 but being able to play online with a bunch of really fun people sadly is.

hell they're the only reason i bought graw, and i got so much play time out of that online (didn't care to finish the single player... not my kind of game).

GhaleonEB

snatches said:
Nice find! they must have been on the same conference call :lol
it definately was added recently - I did a release date check earlier this week and the LE wasn't there. someone is on the ball :lol

snatches

also exclusive to the CE:

exclusive patch for dead rising text on sdtv fix!
exclusive save anywhere patch for dead rising!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Shard said:
If only there were less idiots in the world, maybe the Collectors Edition would not have arisen.

True, I get a mettalic box, big deal. It is just Microtransactions at the purchase level. Keeping already made maps out of the game, just to saved for the CE.

REV 09

last gen, i jumped on just about ever CE version of a title that i was already planning on purchasing. However, 70 dollar games is just pushing it. I doubt i'll get the Gears CE, and even though at least LP CE has maps, i'll probably pass on it as well. I'll purchase the maps down the road on the marketplace if the MP has lasting appeal.

GhaleonEB

dskillzhtown said:
True, I get a mettalic box, big deal. It is just Microtransactions at the purchase level. Keeping already made maps out of the game, just to save for the CE.
I'm kind of a packaging snob. Put it in a nice metal box and I'm there. I was a fan of Working Designs partly for that reason (Dragon Force Saturn memory card sticker FTW)

snatches said:
also exclusive to the CE:

exclusive patch for dead rising text on sdtv fix!
exclusive save anywhere patch for dead rising!
if they ever released a save anywhere patch i'd be annoyed about it. people are spoilt by such options but that's a debate for another thread another day.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
At GAME in the UK, they don't seem to notice the difference... I bought "Dead Rising" for the usual £40 and a tin landed on my doormat, not complaining, of course!

Shard said:

They arose because of the overly elaborate limited editions released in Japan and demand for something similar here. The only problem is that the American companies got greedy and charged people for actual game content instead of stuffed animals, t-shirts, action figures, CDs, and leatherbound artbooks.

Owzers

distantmantra said:
They arose because of the overly elaborate limited editions released in Japan and demand for something similar here. The only problem is that the American companies got greedy and charged people for actual game content instead of stuffed animals, t-shirts, action figures, CDs, and leatherbound artbooks.

And all that fun stuff that Japan gets is what i'd be interested in, not a second disc with trailers and 3 minute interviews on how they managed to get an extra $10 from people.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm going to have to wait for confirmation on this. It's just too stupid to be real.

Multiplayer fractured into three groups before the game is even released? That's ****ing suicide.

C4Lukins

snatches said:
Hey Guys,

Awesome that there is a Collectors Edition, lame that it has exclusive maps. I am guessing that they will be made free over the marketplace withen a couple of months of release, or they will offer them shortly after for a couple hundred points.

mikeGFG

Banned
distantmantra said:

American-style extras FTL. Lost Planet plushies would own.

svenuce

From EB:

* Steelbook Packaging
* Game Manual
* 24 page Art book
* Token Card to download a new Multiplayer Map on Xbox Live Marketplace

Single map (not three) + art book + steel case.

raYne

Chris_C said:
I'm sorry but that's daft, exclusive, as in they won't be available via DLC? The shizzle?
Exclusive as in to the Edition, not as in forever. They'll no doubt become DLC eventually.

It's similar as to how COD2 "Game of the Year Ed" came with the extra maps that were DLC in the normal version. The release timeframe is different of course, but you see where I'm going.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
A token card to download a new map? Doesn't that suggest the map won't be available upon game's release? It's just a free download for when new content is available?

I'm getting thread whiplash.

Top Bottom