• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.I.biz: Sony's entire future rests on PlayStation

Wollan

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-01-sonys-entire-future-now-rests-on-playstation
Their take on Sony's market updates earlier this week:
Sony is over the hump. That's the message that the company wanted investors and market watchers to understand from its presentations earlier this week. Though it expressed it in rather more finessed terms, the core of what Sony wanted to say was that the really hard part is over. Four years after Kaz Hirai took over the corporation...

...becoming the first person to complete the leap from running PlayStation to running Sony itself (Ken Kutaragi had long been expected to do so, but dropped the ball badly with PS3 and missed his opportunity as a consequence), it was widely expected that he'd make PlayStation into the core supporting pillar of a restructured Sony. That's precisely what's happened - but even Hirai, surely, couldn't have anticipated the success of the PS4, which has shaved years off the firm's financial recovery and given it an enviable hit platform exactly when it needed one most...

...the extent of PlayStation's role as the company's "pillar" is becoming ever clearer. Aside from its importance in financial terms, Sony clearly sees PS4 as being a launchpad for other devices and services. PlayStation VR is the most obvious of those; it will start its lifespan as an added extra being sold to the PS4's 40 million-odd customer base, and eventually, Sony hopes, will become a driver for additional PS4 sales in its own right..

...its first major foray into VR and its first major foray into subscriber TV - are being treated as "PlayStation-first" launches. The company is also talking up non-gaming applications for PSVR, which it sees as a major factor from quite early on in the life cycle of the device, and is rolling out PlayStation Vue clients for other platforms - but it's still very notable that PlayStation customers are being treated as the ultimate early adopter market for Sony's new services and products.

To some degree, that explains the company's desire to get PS4 Neo onto the market - though I maintain that a cross-department effort to boost sales of 4K TVs is also a key driving force there. In a wider sense, though, Neo is designed to make sure that the platform upon which so much of Sony's future - games, network services, television, VR - is being based doesn't risk all of those initiatives by falling behind the technology curve. Neo is, of course, a far less dramatic upgrade than Microsoft's Scorpio; but that's precisely because Sony has so much of its corporate strategy riding on PS4, while Microsoft, bluntly, has so little riding on Xbox One. Sony needs to keep its installed base happy while encouraging newcomers to buy into the platform in the knowledge that it's reasonably up-to-date and future proof. Microsoft can afford to be rather more experimental and even reckless in its efforts to leapfrog the competition.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Sony's manoeuvring thus far is that the company has managed to position the PlayStation as the foundation of such grand plans without making the mistake Microsoft made with the original Xbox One unveiling - ignoring games to the extent that the core audience questioned whether they were still the focus. PSVR is clearly designed for far more than just games, but the early focus on games has brought gamers along for every step of the journey. PlayStation Vue, though a major initiative for Sony as a whole, is a nice extra for PlayStation owners, not something that seems to dilute the brand and its focus. On the whole, there's no sign that PlayStation's new role at the heart of Sony is making its core, gaming audience love it any less..

...But with supportive leadership, strong signs of cooperation from other parts of the company (the first-party Spiderman game unveiled at E3 is exactly the kind of thing the relationship between PlayStation and Sony Pictures should have been yielding for decades) and a pipeline of games that should keep fans delighted along the way, PlayStation is in the strongest place it's been for over a decade.

More details and writing about subscription numbers and such on the site.

Kysen

I can't help but feel that using PlayStation as the cornerstone for recovery is too risky a move in the long term. At the end of the day it's just a console that provides access to services which rely on a fickle user base.

not like Sony really has a choice in the consumer electronics front. Sony doesn't have popular phones, TVs, PCs, or audio. Their camera offerings are quality but it's a competitive segment.

vypek

not like Sony really has a choice in the consumer electronics front. Sony doesn't have popular phones, TVs, PCs, or audio. Their camera offerings are quality but it's a competitive segment.

I thought their TVs were relatively popular

Jigolo

Their TVs are good just way too expensive. Their cameras are good just way to expensive. Their smartphones are good just way to expensive. The Playstation is good and not expensive.

See a trend?

Sony is a stupid company

kvn

This is great , pretty sure PlayStation is the reason Sony keep doing Tvs and they do great ones.

Sorry, but No. Design-wise I'd agree. Everything else... not so much: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/td-p/1949079 This thread is for the 2015 Android-TV ones. 187k views, 6k replies. I own one and at times I want to fucking smash that thing into pieces. The 2016 models are the exact same shit. The Bravia models went pretty much completely downhill since Sony decided to use Android as the TVs' OS and employed some one-armed blind people to implement it.

yyr

I'm not a rabid fan of the PlayStation brand, myself, but I'm really happy about the turnaround and the success of the PS4, and everyone should be, honestly. It's good for the industry to have two major players.

It's largely because of Microsoft that the PS3 turned out as good as it did in the end.

It'll be largely because of Sony that the Xbox brand is improving right at this moment.

If PS4 hadn't been a success, there were going to be some real questions about what would happen to Sony as a result. Now, the future looks much brighter. I can't imagine what the gaming industry would look like if Sony went bankrupt and had to quit. As much faith as I have in Microsoft and the Xbox brand, they are very obviously better because Sony's around, so I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Their TVs are good just way too expensive. Their cameras are good just way to expensive. Their smartphones are good just way to expensive. The Playstation is good and not expensive.

See a trend?

Sony is a stupid company

If Sony could find a way to get significant licensing fees and subscriptions costs on their cameras and TV's they'd be a lot cheaper too.

Alebrije

See a trend?

Sony is a stupid company

Their reflex cameras are not expensive compared to Canon and Nikon

Kill3r7

Not really, financial services has been the engine for a while now. That is not to say that PS4 is not doing phenomenal.

fhqwhgads

Who's more doomed: Sony, Nintendo or Xbox?
Probably Microsoft, I mean Xbox. From what I remember, the main investors in the company want nothing more than for them to completely scrap the Xbox and get out of the console business since they've never been number one in the market.

GHG

Probably Microsoft, I mean Xbox. From what I remember, the main investors in the company want nothing more than for them to completely scrap the Xbox and get out of the console business since they've never been number one in the market.

It's not about being number one for shareholders. It never has been.

It's about being profitable.

I think the #1 priority for Sony right now is to find ways to keep current Playstation owners from jumping to another platform. Console gamers are notoriously fickle and can be convinced to switch consoles after a new generation very easily.

SNES fans went to PS1, PS2 fans went to 360, 360 fans went to PS4, etc etc.

Their platforms need to be full BC for a start, i will be much less likely to jump ship if my games work on all future PS platforms.

KoopaTheCasual

Not Nintendo. They can fuck up 10 more times like the Wii U and still be fine.
No. No public traded company could ever boast something that silly. Not even Apple. They can't go till they "run out of money", that's not how it works.

It's not even like Nintendo is in any remote trouble. Just wanted to dispel this weird myth that keeps getting brought up.

Unknown?

Not really, financial services has been the engine for a while now. That is not to say that PS4 is not doing phenomenal.

Yeah, while PlayStation is big reason for Sony's success, this article is misleading. Financial services and sensors are also doing really well.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some of us said the same thing about Vue. MS seemed to drop the ball with TV, TV, TV but Sony snuck Vue in with out a hitch.

Biggest difference is Sony didn't make Vue a main focus.

horkrux

When was this ever any different? Selling 4K devices by introducing a new Playstation? How about the PS1 (CD), PS2 (DVD), PS3 (BD and SACD)? It's nothing new. To me this is just a natural continuation of what they have always done, with the exception that every other electronics division is not nearly as successful as it once was.

labaronx

Some of us said the same thing about Vue. MS seemed to drop the ball with TV, TV, TV but Sony snuck Vue in with out a hitch.

I finally just subscribed to psvue and i love it so far, and now i save about 100 dollars a month

Alebrije

PS4 "Sony look at me, look at me, I am the captain now."

Endeed

images

Cess007

I remember some people asking why Sony wasn't getting the same backlash as MS when Vue launched for the media content. The difference, as you say, is that Sony/PS remains focused on the games, with Vue being an extra.

Ascenion

Honestly with all the stupid decisions on pricing and missed opportunities with Walkman and the like I'm not entirely convinced Sony deserves to be saved . A lot of the bullshit that put them in this position still hasn't changed. Aside from PlayStation they seem to have no idea what they are doing anymore, not with films, tech or anything aside from that financial stuff they are good at.

You know I look at all the services they have and wonder if like a yearly mega bundle of plus is in anyway viable. Like ps plus,ps vue and psnow for like a set price for a year. Than offer different bundles like ps plus&vue etc. Wonder if that's something they're looking into

Honestly with all the stupid decisions on pricing and missed opportunities with Walkman and the like I'm not entirely convinced Sony deserves to be saved . A lot of the bullshit that put them in this position still hasn't changed. Aside from PlayStation they seem to have no idea what they are doing anymore, not with films, tech or anything aside from that financial stuff they are good at.
So you want an entire business to collapse causing thousands their jobs?

Curufinwe

I remember some people asking why Sony wasn't getting the same backlash as MS when Vue launched for the media content. The difference, as you say, is that Sony/PS remains focused on the games, with Vue being an extra.

A Vue to a Kill
er App

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Yeah Vue is already over 100,000 subscribers and is only getting better with each update to the program or addition of new channels. Hell they have been adding content and dropping the price which I find amazing but its also smart as I see them picking up a lot of people who hate dealing with cable or satellite and want a cheap, easy alternative. I even sold my parents on it because of all the issues they've had with their local cable companies which is amazing as they are not tech. savvy at all.

Yeah its not like their financial arm and sensor business aren't doing very well for them or anything!

score01

Sorry, but No. Design-wise I'd agree. Everything else... not so much: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-bravia-android-tv-issues/td-p/1949079 This thread is for the 2015 Android-TV ones. 187k views, 6k replies. I own one and at times I want to fucking smash that thing into pieces. The 2016 models are the exact same shit. The Bravia models went pretty much completely downhill since Sony decided to use Android as the TVs' OS and employed some one-armed blind people to implement it.

Damn. Shame to read that. I bought a 2014-2015 pre android set and its cracking.

madmackem

I think the #1 priority for Sony right now is to find ways to keep current Playstation owners from jumping to another platform. Console gamers are notoriously fickle and can be convinced to switch consoles after a new generation very easily.

SNES fans went to PS1, PS2 fans went to 360, 360 fans went to PS4, etc etc.

Their platforms need to be full BC for a start, i will be much less likely to jump ship if my games work on all future PS platforms.
No they didn't, maybe in the USA but world wide PS3 did just as well as 360, people need to understand outside of USA and say uk Xbox as a brand has never been anything of note.

Isn't Sony Japan's leading insurance provider? (no joke) Maybe their electronics business rests on PlayStation, but one has to think they have that to fall back on.

Top Bottom