• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.I.biz: Sony's entire future rests on PlayStation

antonz

Sony for a number of years has been resting its future on PlayStation. That is why PlayStation 3 was such a massive fuckup. PlayStation as a brand allowed them to stay above water when tv market etc. went to crap for Sony.

Sony absolutely should have pillars of success to hold up the company but they need a lot more than just PlayStation. We have seen what happens to Sony when they mess up in that area. It tears the company apart.

Always felt like Sony was Apple with it’s head cut off. Perhaps not the iPhone, but Sony definitely could have made some serous bank if they weren’t so stupid with walkman.

But that’s lightning in a bottle, Apple just happen to do it multiple times in a short amount of time, incredible really. iPod, iTunes, iPhone, and iPad = 600B dollar company! Woot! Go Apple! lol...They really killed it.

I honestly just want Sony to be big again so we have amazing stuff coming out of the PS division. I know MS is huge, but I think a consumer product company like Sony would let the creative divisions run wild if they had the reserve of MS/Google/Apple.

Shu would be green lighting everything!! lol...

How big is their war chest compared to Microsoft now?
No where close man..MS has a monopoly on like an entire workforce lol...

I think MS is a 300B dollar company while Sony is like a 30B or 40B. It’s more technical that that of course, with assets, properties, debt, etc...But they are worlds apart, I understand that much at least.

Demoskinos

I just hope they keep their hubris in check this time around. They have the momentum and the hearts and minds this generation. Been loving how well the PS4 has performed and been supported as an early adopter. Honestly expected Xbox to keep the lead this gen.

Freeman

Banned
Absolutily satisfied with my smartphone from Sony and consoles. Even the failed Vita is still my favorite portable ever.

Sony usually falls short when it comes to software (outside of games).

Sony gets to keep all the MCU Spider-Man movie money though

Marvel is not going to make a new Spider-man film for Sony every year.

SPE's gross box office revenue in 2015 was $285M......from six films.

In 2016, they're banking on Ghostbusters and The Magnificent Seven, one of which has the worst prerelease buzz in the history of cinema.
I don't hate women

I don't know enough about all of Sony's profitable investments but seems smart to put everything you got towards PlayStation if that's all you really have making a lot of money

Geist-

Hopefully they have some non-console related expansion plans, because it seems rather risky to rely on gamers of all people to keep them afloat. Especially since it's very possible PSVR could fail, and fail hard. Do they plan on keeping up with VR advancements every couple years or are they sticking to the console life cycle? What happens if people just start buying PCs for their living rooms instead of consoles? What if their online service and customer support becomes even more shit than it already is and causes massive customer backlash?

I'd rather not see Sony fall apart, so I hope they use this current golden age to revitalize their other departments.

Outrun

I have to echo the sentiment that Sony needs to diversify thier pillars of profit.

Also, the turnaround took way too long. I hope to see Sony move to a stronger position in the coming years.

MysteryM

I was kind of hoping Sony would start trying to make a average consumer friendly, pricewise at least, version of their short throw laser projectors. Those things cost over $20K last time I checked but god damn if that isn't something I'd drop a couple grand on for a cheaper version.

Some of the short throw projectors look amazing given that they sit directly under the screen. My next purchase will be a 65 HDR sony tv again, or, a 4k hdr sony projector depending on them coming down to a decent price. I need to be ready for scorpio.

Top Bottom