• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO launches today in 26 more countries (RIP servers)

btkadams

Good luck getting anyone in Canada to play your game when you finally release it during the winter with snow and ice everywhere. Sorry, I'm not going for a walk by the river when it's -30.

w0s

Good luck getting anyone in Canada to play your game when you finally release it during the winter with snow and ice everywhere. Sorry, I'm not going for a walk by the river when it's -30.
Is this type of attitude that keeps them from caring about Canada /s

-Horizon-

That's what they all say till you find yourself waist deep in ice water looking for a golduck.

L.O.R.D

42 C in Saudi Arabia Fuck yah.

images

It's weird watching people on Facebook (non gamers) go mad over this, like they have just discovered something totally new, even though Pokemon has been around forever now.

I'd rather play a good Pokemon game on DS though, GO is complete shite, tried it for 10 mins and deleted it, just don't get the appeal, it's really not fun at all.

Bsigg12

Nintendo only take %10 from the revenue.
30% for Google
30% for apple
30% for niantic

This what I've been told.
Any one can correct this?

The Apple and Google in app purchase cuts aren't combined, they are separate based on which device something was bought on so it's 30% of a purchase to the platform holder not 60% like you're assuming. I have no idea what the deal with Niantic is. Depending on what Nintendo/The Pokemon Company have worked out with Niantic, they are at 70% of a sale before whatever Niantic is taking gets pulled.

30% for Google
30% for apple
30% for niantic

Other than the 30% to the platform holder (which is industry standard) there's no way to verify anything like that. Based on the fact that Nintendo owns the copyright to all of the Pokemon, 33% of TPC and a decent stake in Niantic, it's safe to assume they're making more than 10%.

There's also things that we can't put value on, like the increase in brand awareness and how that effects the sale of other Pokemon related merchandise.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Other than the 30% to the platform holder (which is industry standard) there's no way to verify anything like that. Based on the fact that Nintendo owns the copyright to all of the Pokemon, 33% of TPC and a decent stake in Niantic, it's safe to assume they're making more than 10%.

There's also thing that we can't put value on, like the increase in brand awareness and how the effects the sale of other Pokemon related merchandise.

The increase in brand awareness for the Pokemon IP and for Nintendo overall is priceless. Even if Nintendo were being fleeced and only got 10% of revenue... or none... they'd be making out like bandits still.

They just need to take advantage of this situation going forward.

Chaos17

30% for Google
30% for apple
30% for niantic

I doubt Nintendo has only 10% share specialy when they pay 30 millions $ for the game

The Pokémon Company, Google and Nintendo are investing up to $30 million in Niantic, Inc., which includes an initial $20 million upfront and an additional $10 million in financing conditioned upon the company achieving certain milestones. We will be using this capital to continue the development of Pokémon GO, to evolve and grow Ingress and its thriving global community, and to build out our real-world gaming platform.
https://www.nianticlabs.com/blog/

Still no Canada. Fuck off.

Niantic is honestly the worst gaming company in existence.

Calm down, buddy.

30% for Google
30% for apple
30% for niantic

Niantic doesn't really get direct money from the sales, as their revenue is based on the investments of the 3 companies: Google, Pokemon Co, and Nintendo invested an eventual total of 30 million dollars. Apple and Google also cuts into the overall profit as platform holders, but you should not include them as part of the overall distribution. So 70% ish of the money is split 3 ways, with Pokemon Co's third of a third going back to Nintendo. Based on this, Nintendo gets roughly a third of the money still from both platforms (on android, Google gets over half). The remiaining money is split between Creatures and Game Freak, the other owners of Pokemon Co.

_machine

Man if Apple X Google get 30% each , jeez that's just crazy

I can see 15% be fair but 30% , they didn't develop the game
That's the standard cut for pretty much any platform holder, so yes they absolutely do get 30%. We don't know how much Google's investment into Niantic might add to the revenue though. The poster above also probably didn't make it clear that 30% is only per platform, so the total for platform holders from total revenue is not 60% (The publisher makes 70%, which is then distributed to the investors and Niantic themselves),as probably explained better above:
Niantic doesn't really get direct money from the sales, as their revenue is based on the investments of the 3 companies: Google, Pokemon Co, and Nintendo invested an eventual total of 30 million dollars. Apple and Google also cuts into the overall profit as platform holders, but you should not include them as part of the overall distribution. So 70% ish of the money is split 3 ways, with Pokemon Co's third of a third going back to Nintendo. Based on this, Nintendo gets roughly a third of the money still from both platforms (on android, Google gets over half). The remiaining money is split between Creatures and Game Freak, the other owners of Pokemon Co.

Man if Apple X Google get 30% each , jeez that's just crazy

I can see 15% be fair but 30% , they didn't develop the game

Thems the breaks of Third Party development.

That's the standard cut for pretty much any platform holder, so yes they absolutely do get 30%. We don't know how much Google's investment into Niantic might add to the revenue though.

If we assume Google invested an equal amount of money with Nintendo and Pokemin Co, they would get a third of the remaining profit from the Android platform, which nets them over half overall.

zelas

I doubt Nintendo has only 10% share specialy when they pay 30 millions $ for the game

https://www.nianticlabs.com/blog/
That's $30 million TOTAL from 3 different companies. And technically its just $20 million total with the last $10 million coming from incentives to be awarded under certain conditions (downloads, longevity, ARPDAU, etc). I'd be surprised if every party involved wasn't directly making more than what Nintendo would be from it's initial investment.

That's $30 million TOTAL from 3 different companies. And technically its just $20 million total with the last $10 million coming from incentives to be awarded under certain conditions (downloads, longevity, ARPDAU, etc). I'd be surprised if every party involved wasn't directly making more than what Nintendo would be from it's initial investment.

Google makes most of the money as the app is available on their platform, but as Nintendo owns part of Pokemon Co, they make the most money after that by default through a combined revenue stream made up of their own investment and through owning a third of the company.

sfried

WTF @ no Canada

I guess the feeling of being the only person in Toronto not playing it will continue for another few weeks. :/

He was part of Niantic when Niantic pitched it to Nintendo? And then approved his own concept?
From what I understand, it started out as an April Fools thing from Google (which might have been the Niantic pitch) that Nintendo decide to pursue further considering the interesting things that could be done with the concept.

From what I understand, it started out as an April Fools thing from Google (which might have been the Niantic pitch) that Nintendo decide to pursue further considering the interesting things that could be done with the concept.

Nintendo was involved directly with the April Fools joke as Iwata and Pokemon Co pitched the original idea, soon after Niantic heads discussed with the Pokemon Company about a joint project. Nintendo did light supervising after that, but their main involvement was creating an accompanying peripheral.

Google makes most of the money as the app is available on their platform, but as Nintendo owns part of Pokemon Co, they make the most money after that by default through a combined revenue stream made up of their own investment and through owning a third of the company.

Nintendo still makes money in both platforms (iOS and Android).

If I have to guess, I'd say Nintendo makes the most of the money over this game, with Google and Apple as a close second, and then TPC and its owners (Creatures and Game Freak).

_machine

If we assume Google invested an equal amount of money with Nintendo and Pokemin Co, they would get a third of the remaining profit from the Android platform, which nets them over half overall.
Yeah, that could be the case, but given we're talking about a private company it's likely that the 3 investors don't necessarily own all of the company (which makes shacknews article above just a possibility) and it includes the value of an existing IP, there are other possibilities too.

wanders

It's weird watching people on Facebook (non gamers) go mad over this, like they have just discovered something totally new, even though Pokemon has been around forever now.

I'd rather play a good Pokemon game on DS though, GO is complete shite, tried it for 10 mins and deleted it, just don't get the appeal, it's really not fun at all.

It's sucks that you don't get it. I love that everyone, even non gamers, get it.

Nintendo still makes money in both platforms (iOS and Android).

If I have to guess, I'd say Nintendo makes the most of the money over this game, with Google and Apple as a close second, and then TPC and its owners (Creatures and Game Freak).

Google ALSO makes money on both platforms, you realize.

ok so it went live for me so i went outside superfast and again it only found a fucking weedle

where are my dragonites

Get out of the fucking area that has Weedles into a new area that does not have Weedles, it's a very simple concept, traveling places. Go near a creek bed, find water Pokemon. It's not that hard to grasp.

"We're holding off on releasing it in more countries while we fix the server issues."

"Ignore that first statement. We didn't need servers anyways."

Google ALSO makes money on both platforms, you realize.

Get out of the fucking area that has Weedles into a new area that does not have Weedles, it's a very simple concept, traveling places. Go near a creek bed, find water Pokemon. It's not that hard to grasp.

Oh yeah, for sure.

But as money goes, Google keeps a smaller part over the iOS platform then Nintendo and - I believe - Apple.

ghostjoke

Banned
This explains the extra groups in the park today when I was walking the dogs. I thought they were just taking advantage of the nice weather for once.

Datschge

RIP servers indeed. My GF went to the same place central in the city yesterday and today where a lot of players assemble close to three stops that constantly get lure modules, and today it was very apparent people stopped bothering with the game due to the server issues.

I went to a lake and only got more weedles.

No water pokemon. Nothing.

But then Staryu appears in front of my house, three miles from any lake.

munroe

Pretty much bored of the game already. I'm just not seeing the point. Why bother picking a Pokemon at the start when it doesn't even do anything? Is it pretty much just chance if they break out of the poke ball?

Its probably been mentioned loads but you should be able to fight the wild Pokemon otherwise there's very little engagement from the player.

See a Pokemon, tap it, throw the ball, done and repeat.

Sad to see people quoting this when it's so obviously just a bunch of nonsense, especially considering it assumes Niantic gets nothing, which is unfathomable.

Remember how when Wonderful 101 flopped, everyone noted that it wouldn't be detrimental to Platinum because they were already paid to make it?

Top Bottom