• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Weather in the USA is San D--wait no... Buffalo NY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

weather.jpg

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

“‘Great weather’ is a term typically applied subjectively,” explains Jeffrey Bartoo, who helped compile the list. “But when you start to look at time spent outdoors, you learn what conditions truly have mass appeal. An average temperature of 78 degrees might sound ideal but when you see activity drop significantly during the middle of the day because it’s 100 degrees outside, you get a truer sense of how the weather is being used.”

Is Bartoo surprised to see Buffalo surpass a big-name weather city like San Diego? “Not really,” he says. “Each benefits from having a big body of water just to the west, which really moderates temperature and gives a broad inventory of usable outdoor time. San Diego is starting to face some population issues that impact the weather — like air quality — and that’s a problem a smaller city like Buffalo doesn’t have.”

How much of Buffalo’s top ranking comes from an unseasonably mild winter and this “great” stretch of summer weather? Not a ton. Historical trends from the past ten years play a much larger role and, and in the big picture, economic activity used in the OII tends to stay fairly consistent.

Source: Trending Buffalo

OnPoint

Two years ago.

Eh, can't speak for what you did or saw. But I've been here 30+ years and we've seen a marked improvement in every regard recently. It ain't Pittsburgh yet, but it's getting better every year.

This. I spent four years at college in a school 3 hours south of Buffalo (with less lake effect snow) and it was miserable 90% of the time. Buffalo's weather is hellish 8 months a year.

We've actually had mild winters these last few snow wise, except for that one instance where we got like 8 feet in two nights haha Global warming has been good for something at least.

Buffalo is a top candidate for the most miserable city in the USA.

And fucking Shreveport? What is this list.

I never understand posts like this. There are a lot of backwater towns littered through out the country that have nothing going for them.

That said, I'm from buffalo and live here and have an amazing standard of living and love my 4 seasons.

Yes... yessssss... everyone planning on moving to San Diego should DEFINITELY instead plan on moving to Buffalo.

Please.

No thanks, housing prices are already getting out of hand for my tastes :lol

But I did just buy a house so I wouldn't mind the property value going up!

OnPoint

Yes... yessssss... everyone planning on moving to San Diego should DEFINITELY instead plan on moving to Buffalo.

Please.

Is that what anyone here has said? Get off your high horse.

For what it's worth, San Diego is #1 on my 'places I would move if I had the chance' list.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of such a list serves if it's different every single year.

Weather and climate changes every year. Why wouldn't the list change?

Alchemy

When I lived in SoCal I fucking hated the weather. I don't understand why people enjoy baking in the sun to death. Pacific Northwest is where its at.

Acerac

Banned
the fuck? buffalo is basically canada

and it snows 10 months a year here

Didn't this last year though, it was really nice all throughout this winter. April was cold, but for the most part it's been downright pleasant.

Still, my first reaction to this list was to burst out laughing.

Unless this is one of those "four seasons of weather is the best weather!" lists there's no way that Buffalo can appear on any list. It's miserable in Buffalo for 2 - 3 months of the year. Absolutely miserable. Passable for 2-3 months. And then pleasant for 6 months. Boston is similar. Miserable shit weather for 3 months. Tolerable for 3 months. And then pleasant for 6 months.

Also the thing with Buffalo is if you go 20 minutes outside of Buffalo, you can be absolutely nailed with multiple feet of snow, while Buffalo proper may stay above 35 degrees and get relatively little.

If you go 20 minutes outside of San Diego, you're still in beautiful Southern California.

I never understand posts like this. There are a lot of backwater towns littered through out the country that have nothing going for them.

That said, I'm from buffalo and live here and have an amazing standard of living and love my 4 seasons.

Agree with the post entirely - Buffalo has turned around a lot it a short while. Still has a ways to go, but it's exciting to be a part of its rebirth.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd give it to San Francisco but I like rain.

My man! And it doesn't even rain all that much compared to the PNW.

iSjJZ26.gif

SF is my ideal in terms of average temperature range day to day, season to season. San Diego gets too warm for me in the summer, and it doesn't rain enough there for my liking. The only time I mind hot weather is when I'm on the beach or near a pool and can stay in the water the whole time, but for normal day to day stuff it's just annoying and irritating. Cold weather in general, forget that noise.

Is that what anyone here has said? Get off your high horse.

For what it's worth, San Diego is #1 on my 'places I would move if I had the chance' list.

Heh, I think you missed my point. I really want fewer people to move to SD so I can get a job there and move there myself.

No thanks, housing prices are already getting out of hand for my tastes :lol

But I did just buy a house so I wouldn't mind the property value going up!

Everyone wants low housing prices until they themselves own a house!

Syncytia

I don't think they've mastered the art of pregoc yet. They can barely predict tomorrow's weather, let alone a year from now.

They're usually pretty good in AZ.

Today: hot, try not to die
Tomorrow: hot, try not to die
Everyday forever: hot, try not to die

Bread

Banned
as a long time san diegan i find this list offensive and i would like it removed from this website immediately

Yeah, Buffalo and Shreveport are two of those towns.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guys guys, the confusion is easily explained.

weather.jpg

"Weather Underground"

Obviously this list is intended for subterranean mole people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL what the fuck?

I live about an hour from Buffalo. Nice isn't a word anyone ever uses to describe its weather.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Buffalo is so fucking cold in winter they have fucking tunnels at Buffalo State University.

Yup. I'm not quite in Buffalo but Upstate NY and the weather is fine. I love having 4 seasons. I can't stand people that moan about snow in the Winter. It's Winter. Same as people complaining about heat in the Summer. It's Summer! Then you get the nice cool weather and foliage in the Fall. Spring is maybe the only mediocre season for a little bit when you have snow melting and it's not quite warm enough to do outdoors stuff but too warm to do winter activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom