• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Weather in the USA is San D--wait no... Buffalo NY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they've mastered the art of pregoc yet. They can barely predict tomorrow's weather, let alone a year from now.

I'm pretty sure the weather predictor in San Diego could just be a static sign that said "75" and it would be right more often than a team of advanced meteorologists in Buffalo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
We get some bad lake effect snow here in Pennsylvania. Every once in awhile you hear about a drunk college student or someone who drove off the road freezing to death in a snowbank. But yes, best weather. Winter kills up here. Like you actively have to stop the weather from murdering you every time you go outside for several months out of the year.

mollipen

If your city doesn't get actual seasons, you can't claim to have "weather". San Diego (and LA and others) just have "horrible summer" and "tolerable summer".

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't this last year though, it was really nice all throughout this winter. April was cold, but for the most part it's been downright pleasant.

Still, my first reaction to this list was to burst out laughing.

30 degrees average daily temperature in January is only considered "nice" for a small segment of the population.

feels bad to now be a member of that segment

The weather is perfect right now, what are you talking about?

Have you ever been to Buffalo?
Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be able to say something like that. You have to put up with living in New York with none of the perks while also having some of the most depressing weather in the country.

Bread

Banned
If your city doesn't get actual seasons, you can't claim to have "weather". San Diego (and LA and others) just have "horrible summer" and "tolerable summer".
if by "tolerable summer" you mean perfect weather then yes sadly san diego only has"tolerable summer" for 9 months of the year.

Often the local news in Buffalo will tell you to not go outside with any exposed skin for more than a minute. It's basically post-apocalyptic, with snow instead of fallout and frostbite instead of radiation poisoning.
There's a link at the bottom of the article that supports this titled "Only read this if you DON’T drink watered-down urine." Sometimes it gets real bad and you have to do what you can to survive.

Then I don't understand in saying it has nothing going for it. I get thta it's silly to call it the best weather in the country but that's a far stretch from calling it a shit hole.
I mean I guess it has a lot of people ironically voting it to the top of "best weather" lists and every once in a while it's famous because of the snowstorms. It has something going for it. There might be one of the bad college bowl games there? There's a med school that you go to if everywhere else rejected to you, there's a university that sometimes plays good teams very early on in the season. It's not all bad.

Maybe in the summer, short as it is. But what purpose does it serve to have a nice summer when shit hits the fan from late autumn, all winter and half of spring?

mollipen

if by "tolerable summer" you mean perfect weather then yes sadly san diego only has"tolerable summer" for 9 months of the year.

You say "perfect" I say "boring". And the tolerable part of SoCal weather is less than nine months, especially this year.

Thats why it's the best weather, no Winter.

As someone who grew up with proper winters, living in LA is the worst. There's nothing more depressing than it being sunny and warm on Christmas day.

Pikma

Banned
Horrible summer? What? Have you been to San Diego during the summer?

And if you have and still think that's horrible summer then you're mad and/or have probably never experienced a truly horrible summer (entire months with +110F days)

OnPoint

I mean I guess it has a lot of people ironically voting it to the top of "best weather" lists and every once in a while it's famous because of the snowstorms. It has something going for it. There might be one of the bad college bowl games there? There's a med school and dental school that you go to if everywhere else rejected to you, there's a university that sometimes plays good teams very early on in the season. It's not all bad.

If this were a voted list then you might have a point? But you can tell who didn't read the article when you get posts like this.

I mean I guess it has a lot of people ironically voting it to the top of "best weather" lists and every once in a while it's famous because of the snowstorms. It has something going for it. There might be one of the bad college bowl games there? There's a med school and dental school that you go to if everywhere else rejected to you, there's a university that sometimes plays good teams very early on in the season. It's not all bad.

Ok, got it. Really scrapping bottom of the barrel.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You say "perfect" I say "boring". And the tolerable part of SoCal weather is less than nine months, especially this year.

As someone who grew up with proper winters, living in LA is the worst. There's nothing more depressing than it being sunny and warm on Christmas day.

Man I cannot even fathom this. I live in Iowa and loathe winter. I'd rather it be sunny and warm on Xmas.

Bread

Banned

how terrible, that one day a year must really drain your spirits.

Living in LA is the worst, for every reason but the weather.

Going to the beach in flops and shorts on Christmas Day is the best.

Vandiger

Go get your snow in the mountains.

jblank83

Having lived in "10 months of grey and rain" Oregon for 3 years and now "So cold your face will fall off" Illinois for 3, I'll happily take "weather sucks" San Diego.

daveo42

Banned
This list looks all sorts of wrong.

Buffalo - Ice box
Shreveport - Melting pot
Joplin - wiped off map by tornado

Best weather?

OnPoint

I didn't expect actual San Diego weather hate to show up in this thread haha I guess there really is someone for every viewpoint.

I did expect the misinformation about Buffalo though :)

mollipen

And if you have and still think that's horrible summer then you're mad and/or have probably never experienced a truly horrible summer (entire months with +110F days)

To be fair, as a redhead, I don't mix well with heat. Any day that's above 90 is terrible if you ask me.

Have you ever actually been to San Diego? Its not like LA weather.

I haven't lived there, but I've been there, sure.

Man I cannot even fathom this. I live in Iowa and loathe winter. I'd rather it be sunny and warm on Xmas.

I grew up in Nebraska right next to you! Love the weather back home. Beautiful springs, tolerable summers, amazing falls, and the full of proper winters.

Go get your snow in the mountains.

I love how people (especially in Cali) say that. Dealing with snow only when you want to is for wimps!

Being a Buffalo native I love Buffalo's 4 seasons and I'm one of the crazy's that actually likes snow although I do get a little sick of it when it comes down in April sometimes. Although last winter was a fluke barely got any snow especially when you compare it to 2 years ago when people couldn't get out of the houses south of Buffalo from all the snow.

What a lot of people don't understand is that there's a snow belt south of Buffalo, which means suburbs south of Buffalo could get rocked with a blizzard but the northtowns could get an inch or less of snow. Here's a picture from 2 years ago showing the snow belt:

141119100214-04-wintry-weather-1119-horizontal-gallery.jpg

I don't know if I say Buffalo's weather is the best in the country but I don't think its that bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In San Diego the sky does occasionally turn the color of blood and ash falls from the heavens like snow.

Every other house burnt down in a neighborhood where some of my high school friends used to live, but I don't think that counts as weather.
I read about some people I went to school with having their houses rebuilt for free by Shawne Merriman.

gaugebozo

I'm a little surprised Rochester didn't beat Buffalo. The summers are pretty mild, but it's not at the end of the lake and it tends to get spared the worst of the snow.

I've lived immediately south of Buffalo for 10 years now, and I agree with this. Mild, low humidity, and *very* sunny summers. Winters aren't bad as long as you have a coat. And unless we get more than ~2 feet in a day, the snow gets cleared away pretty quickly, but it is cloudy most of the time until the lake freezes over. Spring and fall can be kinda rainy (thanks to the lake effect), but the showers are usually light.

I'm a little surprised Rochester didn't beat Buffalo. The summers are pretty mild, but it's not at the end of the lake and it tends to get spared the worst of the snow.

I think because of the breeze from Lake Erie, Buffalo has even milder summers. The temps close to the shore are often 10 degrees less than inland during the summer. And north Buffalo usually doesn't see too much snow anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom