• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition announced -- out now, free for previous owners

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Nordic's response to my support ticket for those wondering about their retail copies:
Hi there!

We took over the Titan Quest franchise in 2013 from THQ. We really put a lot of work and effort in the Titan Quest Anniversary Edition with countless fixes, we added content and we put our heart into it, because we used to play the living hell out of this game back in the days and there is a lot of love for it.

However, we have no control as far as all the different retail versions are concerned BEFORE that time. We had internal discussions on what to do with the retail versions who are not Steam bound and came to the conclusion that there is not an easy fix for this. Hence we opted for a -75% release week discount on Steam, GOG and all the other platforms, so that “old” retail versions at least get it for basically nothing (i.e. EUR/USD 4.99).

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Please feel free to contact us anytime.

WARNING:

When you answer to one of our e-mails, please send us the content of the entire received e-mail back (not as an attachment!) and place your response at the beginning of your e-mail! Thank you!

Best regards,
Nordic Games GmbH Support Team

grendelrt

Nordic's response to my support ticket for those wondering about their retail copies:

I feel that is pretty fair, you are getting an updated version for 4.99. I went to buy it on the assumption that my copy was retail then realized it was in steam, so the 4.99 really didnt bother me.

Vecks

Just started playing for a little bit.

Does Titan Quest not have damage numbers? I don't see any options for it in the settings.

Dragoshi1

Well, always was curious about this game, and now I'm in love. Reminds me of FATE, that weird dungeon crawler that was preinstalled in some PCs. Except OPEN WORLD, WOAH.

Just started playing for a little bit.

Does Titan Quest not have damage numbers? I don't see any options for it in the settings.

I think only for criticals, but you can see the life bars of enemies at the top of the screen to see how much dmg or rate of dmg you are dealing.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Never knew how much Diablo 3 drew from Titan Quest. Lots of the barbarian's main skills have equivalents here - wrath of the berserker, call of the ancients, war cry... lots of skill names reused in other areas...

On the rogue side, there are sentry traps too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A shame but understandable. I assume THQ didn't have a master list of the retail keys it had generated (making it practically impossible for them to be whitelisted on Steam) and Nordic deemed manually providing AE keys to be too impractical, which is fair enough, especially as the game didn't hit Steam until a few months after the release of Immortal Throne.

Chris R

So my laptop won't let me play this fullscreen.

Mouse just goes away when fullscreen, perfectly fine when windowed.

I'll give them some more time to iron out the bugs, at least it runs pretty well on my underpowered machine.

Anno

Do we need a new OT?

Maybe to organize for MP

That'd be cool!

Also, anyone recommend me a fun secondary for Defense that isn't Nature? Back in the day I went defense/nature basically every melee game and I know I will again this time unless someone sells me on something else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I forgot, does it matter what kind of weapons you use at all, depending on class? Or is it just a matter of having the right stats?

Like Dream seems pretty weapon focused given that it increases your strength a lot

RS4-

So I forgot, does it matter what kind of weapons you use at all, depending on class? Or is it just a matter of having the right stats?

Like Dream seems pretty weapon focused given that it increases your strength a lot

I have no idea, I'm just running whatever gives me more damage and buffs. I'm only level 11 anyway with Dream + Hunter.

There are a lot of builds around, forums and such

In normal mode game is pretty easy event without a good build

Going to upper difficulties without a plan is a recipe for disaster though

I've been playing at 1080 and every once in a while I get a stutter. The screen will freeze for a second, then catch up. Anyone else running into this?

DJ_Lae

I've been playing at 1080 and every once in a while I get a stutter. The screen will freeze for a second, then catch up. Anyone else running into this?

Yeah, it'll hitch occasionally and then speed up for a second. I figure it's just loading something, but who knows.

Most of the time it's buttery smooth, though.

Lucifon

Used to really enjoy this game but I believe I played with a blood mod, jumping in to this today I missed it instantly. The game has no feedback when hitting things so it feels like you're swinging at thin air. Is there a blood mod for the anniversary edition yet? Or a damage number mod?

It sounds like what they're saying is trying to corral all the serial numbers used in the different printings of the games would be a headache, especially trying to find a system to use them to generate a Steam key from them.

Not that I could find. Aside from Dream being nerfed pretty hard, though, I haven't seen a ton of change, so older builds might still be pretty viable.
Yeah I was going to go with my favorite Haruspex build, but unsure with the Dream nerfs. I may end up going pure Rogue or Brigand to take advantage of the stat buffs to bleed.

Lorcain

Also, anyone recommend me a fun secondary for Defense that isn't Nature? Back in the day I went defense/nature basically every melee game and I know I will again this time unless someone sells me on something else.
For my first playthrough I finished the game as Defense/Storm (Paladin). I felt like I was Thor. Weapons charged with lightning and cold, which if I remember right, also includes the shield bash and charge. It was a lot of fun.

Is anyone familiar with a Hunting + Storm (Sage) build? Was thinking of doing some sort of bow build with bleed + cold for slowdown. NO idea if its even possible/viable.

DJ_Lae

Other than the occasional hitching and the game running at 10fps while entering/exiting a portal, the game holds up really well.

I still love the ridiculous ragdolls.

XVgoGnJ.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This release has brought many good things. It made me wonder why it ran so much better than Grim Dawn, despite using the same engine. Turns out Titan Quest is just smarter about CPU core load, it's spread pretty evenly across two cores. Grim Dawn? It saturates one core which runs at 99% pretty much constantly.
So what I did was disable the core that ran at 99%, a step I repeated 3 times, until the game was only using 3 out of the 6. Suddenly it spread the load evenly between two cores and the game ran much better. So thank you, Titan Quest, you're the game that keeps on giving. All these years later :lol.
Just to give a taste of how much better it became, it now runs better maxed out than it did on the lowest settings. Which is insane. Huge oversight, can't think it's something that would've been especially hard to let the game automate, even if some games do get wonky as hell with the FX CPUs.

Edit: I'm also very stupid and had enabled an experimental feature in the options file that mucked everything up. That said, Titan Quest, what a game. Still amazing 9 years later.

ShadowOwl

Well, I had Titan Quest lying around for at least six years now but never got into. Damn I was missing out!

Started playing the version on Steam two days ao and I'm having a blast, already 15 hours in (char is a Conqueror). And those ragdolls are so fun, it's never getting old. Picked up the GOG release to support THQNordic in their efforts. Anyone who's remotely liking Diablo style games should absolutely pick this gem up! The 75% discount is ending tomorrow.

rainz

Having never played this before I picked it up and wow, these guys have done some great work as far as UI/polish goes from what I can tell. Having a great time by myself so far but think I want to stop and get a friend to join me before I go any further. How is the multi with just one other person?? Does it work the same as say D3?

Vecks

Having never played this before I picked it up and wow, these guys have done some great work as far as UI/polish goes from what I can tell. Having a great time by myself so far but think I want to stop and get a friend to join me before I go any further. How is the multi with just one other person?? Does it work the same as say D3?

Multiplayer works fine. The game seems to scale the enemy stats based on the amount of players in the server, so play with however many other players you want.

Top Bottom