• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition announced -- out now, free for previous owners

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Going back to Titan Quest makes me wonder why Grim Dawn runs so fucking bad :lol. Titan Quest looks great, shadows on everything, locked 60 FPS.

Meanwhile in Grim Dawn land, that shit hits 30 constantly, without looking that much better.

Crazy how good this looks for a 10 year old game.

29260709732_781096a8a8_o.png

28745584164_fea37ce2d3_o.png

Also I feel old as fuck now. 10 years old? Jesus Christ.

Yeah, TQ was always a looker. Sad it didn't set fire to the charts :( It deserved to become a franchise.

Mohasus

Oh, maybe. Never liked the idea of uneven downsampling - the menus wouldn't scale well, etc.

But isn't 8K 4x (twice the width and twice the height) the resolution?

edit: anyway, just tried downsampling from 5K to 1440p here, but the HUD is so small (even at large) that it isn't worth for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, TQ was always a looker. Sad it didn't set fire to the charts :( It deserved to become a franchise.

While Nordic did say that its intention to continue the series fell apart, I firmly believe that's because it went straight to Crate -- the studio having arose from the ashes of Iron Lore -- and it (Crate) declined for the time being as it couldn't commit to another Titan Quest without impacting Grim Dawn's roadmap. A sequel is still on the cards, I think, but probably not until after the release of GD's expansion.

JaseC

I bought titan quest on direct2drive not steam lol ;_;

If you still have proof of purchase, try asking Nordic for a key. The form doesn't allow attachments, so you'll have to upload the file somewhere (any modern e-mail client will allow you to save a message as an HTML file) and provide a link.

It does. I played the old game (with unofficial patches) just today before I read this great news of the Anniversary edition. Of course I wanted to try out if I could continue where I left off earlier today and I can continue with the Anniversary edition where I left off this afternoon. Great stuff.

Awesome. I'll have to dust off my old Assassin build hero and see how rad he is with the new Dexterity scaling benefits to Rogue DoTs.

And much love for the doubled stash size. I've been revisiting a lot of old Diablo-likes recently, and man, is the lack of a shared stash and generally anemic stash sizes ever the biggest black mark there could possibly be against Diablo 2 compared to the games it spawned.

styl3s

not a port beg but didn't i read somewhere recently that they would be porting to ps4?
I would double dip both this and Grim Dawn on consoles.

If Legion didn't just come out i would be ALL over this update Titan Quest is one my favorite games of all time it bums me out we never got a real proper Titan Quest sequel and i know Grim Dawn is a spiritual successor and it's a better game but it would of been nice to see the franchise continue.

Levito

Banned
How long is the main game + the expansion? I love ARPG's(Diablo 2 and Path Of Exile being my favs) but I never really got around to trying this one.

Man, this is so great. The original still held up really well, but there were things about it that just needed tightening up.

Also rolling the original and the immortal throne all into one simple package like this is perfect

THQNordic doing the work

release deadly creatures on PC tho

JaseC

How long is the main game + the expansion? I love ARPG's(Diablo 2 and Path Of Exile being my favs) but I never really got around to trying this one.

40~100 hours, depending on how thorough you are. Act 1 alone lasts around 20 hours if you're one to explore every inch of the map before moving forward.

after Diablo 3 any ARPG without controller support is disappointing

Yeah, no more excuses imho, especially for brand new games. Heck, I still even mad at Blizzard for not releasing a controller support for Diablo 3 PC.

However, I understand if this game is not gonna have it. Maybe it'll need a lot more tinkering or even an overhaul as it's a very old game that was originally developed and designed for PC.

My dad used to be in love with this game, as a huge Diablo fan and also a major mythology buff... I was 15 when the game came out, and we used to play together all the time, and he'd fill me in on all the more archaic mythological elements that I wasn't as familiar with. There was NOTHING in that game he didn't know about.

He doesn't have as much time for games as he used to, but tonight me and the old man are going to be reliving some very happy memories thanks to the boys at Nordic Games.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it's been a long time since I played this, even though I didn't play it much back then when it was released but I always played with the though to (re)play it since I got on steam, I guess now is the time.

/E/: I'm reading that the german version on steam had a low violence version, is this the same for the anniversary edition?

JaseC

Damn it's been a long time since I played this, even though I didn't play it much back then when it was released but I always played with the though to (re)play it since I got on steam, I guess now is the time.

/E/: I'm reading that the german version on steam had a low violence version, is this the same for the anniversary edition?

Nope. There's only one sub for the AE and it has no LV flags, so the ones applied to the German subs of the original releases wouldn't have any bearing on the AE.

Nordicus

This is one game that actually got its reputation ruined by DRM at the time.

It had a security check that crashed the game if it was pirated. The game got a reputation for being broken and buggy.

RS4-

Lol I died like 4x in the starting town. I didn't really look into the classes, so I just picked the middle dude. Spirit?

Anyway to run this in proper borderless window? Even with the taskbar set to hidden, the bottom part of the screen is cropped just a bit.

I'm not on atm, but what's the key for auto pickup? And is there any way to see stats of an item that's on the ground? Or do I really have to mouse over in stash lol.

Edit - oh I picked the dream class.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Going back to Titan Quest makes me wonder why Grim Dawn runs so fucking bad :lol. Titan Quest looks great, shadows on everything, locked 60 FPS.

Meanwhile in Grim Dawn land, that shit hits 30 constantly, without looking that much better.

Damn, I didn't realize performance was that bad. Looks far more fun to play.

RS4-

How do you pick up items?

Either alt, z, or x I believe. One of them is show all. I think the others are 'common' and 'rare?'

Something like that. I'm assuming that's what you meant, because without it you don't see the drops early on?

Jimrpg

40~100 hours, depending on how thorough you are. Act 1 alone lasts around 20 hours if you're one to explore every inch of the map before moving forward.

Damn that's awesome! Ive finished the main game, didn't realize immortal throne was a 15 hour expansion. That's solid.

Lanrutcon

An ARPG has to be designed from the ground up to support controllers. There's a distinct difference between, for example, TQ skills and D3 skills because of controller limitations in the heat of combat.

Guess people can try some kind of bastardised Steam controller config.

Stevey

Seeing a lot of posts in the community hub about Windows 10 compatability.
Does it work without any playing around?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
But isn't 8K 4x (twice the width and twice the height) the resolution?

edit: anyway, just tried downsampling from 5K to 1440p here, but the HUD is so small (even at large) that it isn't worth for me.

Nah, 4k is double each side of 1080p, so doubling each side again would quadruple the pixel count again, bringing it up to 16.

For 8k, the pixel count on each side would be increasing by the square root of 2 (about 1.414).

Late edit: actually, I was wrong here, they're going by the horizontal pixel count for these naming standards, so the one I was calling 16K (7680×4320) would actually be 8K.

No problems here. After alt tabbing, it has a black screen for about 10 seconds, then resumes normally.

JaseC

Damn that's awesome! Ive finished the main game, didn't realize immortal throne was a 15 hour expansion. That's solid.

Yeah, I've always felt somewhat shortchanged by Blizzard's single-act expansions to Diablo due to how relatively small they are, and while Immortal Throne also just adds one more act, it's a significant one -- comparable in size to those in the base game.

The shadows glitch in Delphi, but I noticed it also happens in TQ original, so I guess that's OK. Just happened to be where I loaded the game both times. Only happens there from what I can tell.

Glad my last save carried over to new version.

The visuals were always great, this new version seems to run a bit more smoothly though. If you look at screens of the older version compared to new version visually it looks almost exactly the same.

Even the originals if you boot them up look pretty much just as good as the Anniversary Edition, but the new one definitely refines some of the effects and makes them more apparent, or adds them in and stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn, I didn't realize performance was that bad. Looks far more fun to play.

I mean, your mileage will vary, it's probably much better on an Intel CPU, but still, Grim Dawn running on a modified Titan Quest engine and all, it's surprising to see how vastly different they perform when they don't look all that different graphically.

RS4-

No issues here, but I'm not using the Anniversary Update either. I do not have the alt-tab issue like Raticus though, where it takes 10 seconds.

inky

Whenever I replay this, I tell myself I'm going to try a new class, but always end up making a Defense/Nature character anyway.

Warfare + Spirit! (Spellbraker) for me, LOL. TBF I did try a lot of combinations back when it was new, but I never stuck with any for as long as I did with this specific one.

An ARPG has to be designed from the ground up to support controllers. There's a distinct difference between, for example, TQ skills and D3 skills because of controller limitations in the heat of combat.

Guess people can try some kind of bastardised Steam controller config.

Yup, like even ignoring the UI has to be redone to fit a controller scheme, the basics of the genre, from character movement to cursor speed and dealing with items and enemies has to be revamped.

This expectation for controller support in ARPGs that aren't even on console continues to baffle me.

Lol I died like 4x in the starting town. I didn't really look into the classes, so I just picked the middle dude. Spirit?

Anyway to run this in proper borderless window? Even with the taskbar set to hidden, the bottom part of the screen is cropped just a bit.

I'm not on atm, but what's the key for auto pickup? And is there any way to see stats of an item that's on the ground? Or do I really have to mouse over in stash lol.

Edit - oh I picked the dream class.

Dream is really good and very flashy too. Heck, as it originally was the expansion class it came out a bit OP but it seems to have been toned down.

I didn't have anything set to auto-pickup by default, but I just set it to Spacebar and it's really easy. As with many other ARPGs there are very few things you should be picking and you'll go through potions like mad in this game, at least in the first playthrough, so have that in mind.

Lorcain

The game still looks fantastic. It's amazing how well it holds up 10 years later.

This is kind of a niche thing to care about, but if anyone finds good melee shield combat fun, TQ does this so well. There are satisfying thuds and thunks, and visceral shield abilities and animations that are so rewarding and fun to use. The Defender class is just awesome if you're a fan of shields.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Noticing a few issues with the new release.

• When using the teleport, the fade in and out effect drops the FPS to 8.
  • The game noticably stutters when you open the inventory and the map
  • When you hold the mouse button down after killing an enemy, it takes a couple seconds for the character to register movement input. If you release and click again, it's instant

Anyone else having these issues?

The game still looks fantastic. It's amazing how well it holds up 10 years later.

This is kind of a niche thing to care about, but if anyone finds good melee shield combat fun, TQ does this so well. There are satisfying thuds and thunks, and visceral shield abilities and animations that are so rewarding and fun to use. The Defender class is just awesome if you're a fan of shields.

I especially enjoy when you send enemies flying off the screen or into the air :lol, I'm guessing the super launches were a bug that turned out to be amazing that they just kept in. It's amazing how satisfying they made killing enemies with zero blood whatsoever.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Noticing a few issues with the new release.

• When using the teleport, the fade in and out effect drops the FPS to 8.
  • The game noticably stutters when you open the inventory and the map
  • When you hold the mouse button down after killing an enemy, it takes a couple seconds for the character to register movement input. If you release and click again, it's instant

Anyone else having these issues?

Yeah I also have the movement input issue, I'm not sure about the stutter on the map/inventory though.

Top Bottom