• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition announced -- out now, free for previous owners

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Goddammit, i just finished my first walkthrough of original (yeah, i didn't played TQ back then in 2006 so i tried to catch up what i missed now), was planing to play Immortal Throne expansion later, but now i don't know what to do. I'm not sure i can do second walktrough so soon. Still, amazing news and impressive improvements for 10 year old game, original still looked beautiful even now, those textures are insane.

I'm particularly fond of the dynamic lighting, although it was rather expensive at the time:

titan_4x.gif

pr0cs

I have a key from the defunct direct2drive. Wonder if steam will accept it... Probably not but I'll try tonight

dLMN8R

OH MY GOD

I just realized I don't own this game on Steam! It was one of the last games I ever purchased at retail and I never opted to get a Steam version instead

There goes $5.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I got it on my S7 Edge and if you use Game Tuner with it (app that let's you lower the resolution and textures for games) it's possible to get a decent framerate.

to bad that curved screan is terrible for a game like that.
i also own one ;)

Fuck how do I get this?

I have steam versions.
Should I get this or Grim Dawn instead?

I personally prefer Titan Quest, Path of Exile, D2, and D3 over Grim Dawn.

Something didn't capture me with Grim Dawn, not sure what it was.

Oh it's already there in my library, was looking only at favourites, sweet :)

Just search "Titan Quest" in your Steam library and the anniversary edition should be in there.

Yea I just noticed thanks, 5 GB pretty big download but gonna be schweet.

I was playing Immortal Throne a few months back with camera mod, I want to see how this compares with all the updates.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With how crappy Grim Dawn runs I feel like I should just replay Titan Quest again, it's so damn good.

Edit: Was the original Titan Quest always split between Titan Quest and Immortal Throne as two separate installs like that? Pretty sure it used to be Titan Quest Gold, so I went from one TQ entry to 3 :lol.

Also to speak a bit about Titan Quest itself, it's absolutely fantastic, it looks great even by todays standards, I feel, Ancient Greece is a cool setting and multi-classing is great fun, it also has a fantastic soundtrack. I wonder which of the two main themes they went for in Anniversary, both vanilla and Immortal Throne have great main menu tracks

Santar

Wow this is great news, Titan Quest is one of those games I never got really into but always wanted to.
Why of why didn't I buy that humble THQ Bundle that had Titan Quest in it?! :(

Some of the changelog for the patch is insane;

- Athens spearmen now carry spears
LOL

- Added missing AoE explosion effects for Lightning, Cold and Elemental staff projectiles
Huh.

- Core Dweller AI behavior now corresponds to its orders
- Core Dweller now casts Provoke in normal and aggressive stance
No wonder it sucked so much shit before. lol

This is a GIGANTIC patch. They really did amazing work here. Buy the game if you haven't.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
- Fixed excessive Satyr grunts
- Fixed excessive Maenad screaming

Truly the most important change.
(EDIT: I just loaded up a save in vanilla TQ and these weren't as bad I as remembered. For some reason, I was thinking of the goblins in Torchlight II. Now those were damn annoying.)

But seriously, the fact that this game got such an extensive and much needed patch this many years later is blowing my mind. I'm no expert on the game, but it does appear way more balanced now.

With how crappy Grim Dawn runs I feel like I should just replay Titan Quest again, it's so damn good.

Edit: Was the original Titan Quest always split between Titan Quest and Immortal Throne as two separate installs like that? Pretty sure it used to be Titan Quest Gold, so I went from one TQ entry to 3 :lol.

Also to speak a bit about Titan Quest itself, it's absolutely fantastic, it looks great even by todays standards, I feel, Ancient Greece is a cool setting and multi-classing is great fun, it also has a fantastic soundtrack. I wonder which of the two main themes they went for in Anniversary, both vanilla and Immortal Throne have great main menu tracks

If you install just Immortal Throne it includes all of the original TQ and the expansion content.

And yes TQ is the best shit. Just less known because it's not called Diablo.

This and Diablo 2 are still the gold standard of these games imo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seriously, I cannot understate how good the soundtrack is

If you install just Immortal Throne it includes all of the original TQ and the expansion content.

And yes TQ is the best shit. Just less known because it's not called Diablo.

This and Diablo 2 are still the gold standard of these games imo.

Yeah I realised that when I compared the amount of time played between the two :p

Tagyhag

Truly the most important change.
(EDIT: I just loaded up a save in vanilla TQ and these weren't as bad I as remembered. For some reason, I was thinking of the goblins in Torchlight II. Now those were damn annoying.)

Oh man, I hope all the Satyrs still all scream at the same time when you kill them, feels so good when you get 5+ in one blast.

So this will work on Windows 10 now? When I tried to play the demo a few months ago, it keep crashing

Works flawlessly on Anniversary patch.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I worked with a bunch of the game's alumni a few years back before i went back to college. Always love seeing Titan Quest get recognition because of that, super nice guys behind the game.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I just remembered Paul told me that at one point they had hired this big Hollywood screenwriter (responsible for Troy or Gladiator or something like that) in charge of Titan Quest's story, but the script he produced was fuck awful, so they scrapped it and went with their own thing.

Mareg

Hmmm, funny I checked on my steam account and even thought I have TitanQuest and the Expension, they still want 5% for this version. Is that just for USA account ?

I will probably double dip. But that is still strange.

Dunlop

So this will work on Windows 10 now? When I tried to play the demo a few months ago, it kept crashing

Tried the Steam version to see if I liked the game and crashed hard on my Windows 10 machine

Will wait on the confirmation for win10 compatibility before shelling out the whopping $6.50 CAN lol

lcbrus

Hmmm, funny I checked on my steam account and even thought I have TitanQuest and the Expension, they still want 5% for this version. Is that just for USA account ?

I will probably double dip. But that is still strange.

I thought the same, click on the "play now" button instead of "add to cart".

Vuze

So this will work on Windows 10 now? When I tried to play the demo a few months ago, it kept crashing
Can't speak for anyone else but I played the original Titan Quest Steam version on Win10 without any major issues for a few hours.

Pretty damn amazing they are giving this away for free, I must say I'm impressed with the year-long support this game is getting. Kudos to them.

GCffT3A.png

Downloading when I get home, hoping to see 1440p support but if it's only doing 1080p I don't care!
Unlike some 60€ games that get released on Steam, even the original steam version supported arbitrary resolutions when I tried it, so I'd be surprised if this version would lack support :p

Mareg

I thought the same, click on the "play now" button instead of "add to cart".

Ok I'll check at home. I was looking at my profile on the steam web page.

In my profile, it is not in my library. Weird. I see the other two games.

Such an amazing game. I played it for months back in the days. Already 10 years ago. Wow. I never bought it on steam, still used my retail copy. But 4,99€ is a fair price for so much effort. Instant buy for me.

Nordic doing wonderful things with all the stuff they bought so far.

edit: finally a use for that old steam key from the humble thq bundle which I never redeemed because it was the edited German version - now magically transformed into TQ Anniversary Edition! :D

What edit version? The german version was always uncensored.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Crazy how good this looks for a 10 year old game.

29260709732_781096a8a8_o.png

28745584164_fea37ce2d3_o.png

Also I feel old as fuck now. 10 years old? Jesus Christ.

Top Bottom