• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition announced -- out now, free for previous owners

Sounds wonderful, can't say I expected this to happen. I would have liked to see some graphical improvements, but it's already a very pretty game.

Hopefully this means Nordic is interested in making a sequel.

Damaniel

Banned
The UI scaling support is enough for me - the rest is just a huge bonus. I just got around to playing it through about a year ago, but I guess I'll have to go and do it again now.

I wonder what compelled THQ Nordic to update a 10 year old game made by a defunct company. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - just curious.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The UI scaling support is enough for me - the rest is just a huge bonus. I just got around to playing it through about a year ago, but I guess I'll have to go and do it again now.

I wonder what compelled THQ Nordic to update a 10 year old game made by a defunct company. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - just curious.

I think they make a lot of their income selling older titles. This isn't the first game they've updated like this. For example they updated Nexus The Jupiter Incident in a similar fashion and that game is far *far* more obscure then this.

to bad that curved screan is terrible for a game like that.
i also own one ;)
With the S7 naked, it is tough to play some stuff, since my palms sometimes hit the screen. ( the Note 7 seems to have fixed this since it's a little wider at the sides).

But with a case, it gives me enough extra bezel that it's manageable.

But I probably won't play it much more until I get a good Android Bluetooth controller. Touch controls on action games like that aren't my favorite.

lmimmfn

wow, 21:9 support looks great, wasnt expecting that:
5A07FD7ECF3FE0C52E19FFFA38819CC38B081096

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
I would love for them to whitelist retail keys, like when DoW was re-released, and if you sent them a picture of your box, they would send you a Steam key. I have the retail box for the Gold Edition and just never got around to playing it.

Chris R

cursor doesn't work on my laptop... Hmmn

edit: I bet it has something to do with my display being 1080 but with a factor of 2 scaling on it... I'll have to mess around wiht it more when I'm not on my lunch break.

Primus

Windows 10 Anniversary here, no issues with TQ Anniversary Edition. Started it up, maxed out the resolution and graphics settings, increased the UI size, jumped right in. It even found my old save games and caravan storage.

Sweetness. Titan Quest's great and I love getting free updated versions of games.

Hallelujah for achievements, last I read about it, they were debating whether to spend time on them or not.

Drackhorn

Do saves from the older versions (on the same machine) carry over into the new version's install automatically?

It does. I played the old game (with unofficial patches) just today before I read this great news of the Anniversary edition. Of course I wanted to try out if I could continue where I left off earlier today and I can continue with the Anniversary edition where I left off this afternoon. Great stuff.

I loved TItan Quest. A great ARPG that still holds up to this day, however I will say, Grim Dawn's setting is more appealing to me and I really have no reason to go back to TQ after Grim Dawn.

Awesome. Wasn't expecting anything like this at all l. I will definitely download it ASAP. Now getting around to playing it is another story especially with new PoE league and Overwatch season 2 starting so soon.

RS4-

Oh..fuck lol. I already have it. Now I really have to play it again.

I wasn't a huge fan of Grim Dawn btw.

New multiplayer system and steam workshop support? This is great. I never did play through Immortal Throne, so maybe now is the time to rectify that.

Kadin

Just refunded the game. In-game cursor would not move at any resolution in fullscreen. Playing in windowed mode was terribly tiny. Apparently the issue has to due with dpi scaling up for people on higher resolution monitors like 4K. I dropped my dpi scaling down to 100%, rebooted and then it worked in fullscreen but that's just a terrible solution.

Also there's no way to assign a 'move to' key like most modern ARPGs. So yeah, beware if any of these things might be an issue for you. There's a thread on the Steam forums about the mouse cursor issue along with alt+tab problems.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Getting 13% GPU usage at 4K/60 on a Titan X Pascal. I could do 16k/60 with DSR if it didn't crash the game, ha

Edit: hmm, more like 40% now. That makes a bit more sense.

Just a heads up for those playing on laptops w/ intel & Nvidia graphic cards. If you get a grainy look, it may be using the intel graphics chip.

I had that effect; however, once I change it to use the Nvidia 960M graphics, it looked much better and no grainy look.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
what about 8K?

Oh, maybe. Never liked the idea of uneven downsampling - the menus wouldn't scale well, etc.

It's actually more like 40% once I get into some busier areas. This is with that Xmax mod - curious to see how well it holds up once some spell effects start stacking up, but so far so good.

This might well be the gold standard that we should only be so fortunate to see happen to the other ARPGS of the past several years in terms of a proper anniversary update to better set a spot at the table for these fine works for posterity---and there's no reason to reckon they won't further update it from here now that they've gone this far to satisfy any remaining major bugs and iron things out as per the greater audience at large. The audience for this game will almost certainly tick up quite a fair bit over this holiday weekend thanks to this, and only stands to gain with each continuing instance of them showing they are serious in making this into a revitalized, yet timeless, classic indeed. Just think of how many skills on so many classes in Diablo 2 are just as broken as the worst were in TQ prior to the advent of this crazy thing upending the table and scouring over damn near everything---really hope Blizzard responds to this in kind with a proper polished D2 at long last in the spirit of camaraderie.

Plus the modding scene! This should stand every chance at revitalizing it to perhaps even greater heights than some crazy folks managed all those years ago which, IIRC, some aspects were shiny enough to make it into Grim Dawn proper.

Jimrpg

Titan Quest is one of my favourite games and I never played through Immortal Throne. Still have the boxed copy at home but I don't think it came with a Steam code.

Will jump at 75% off.

Bought this super cheap years ago, but never got around to playing it - this just gives me incentive to do so.

Wish more devs supported their libraries in this way.

mstevens

Lol just finished playing Titan Quest + the expansion about two weeks ago.. Should have waited. Don't really feel like jumping right back in, even though those updates are nice.

I enjoyed it when it came out, but this time through it felt like I never had any worthwhile gear upgrades the entire game pretty much. It's possible that my build was just not viable.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I remember playing and beating this ages ago though I don't remember much of it. I do remember I had a blast though so this may be like playing it again for the first time.

Anyone have a problem with the shadows not looking quite right?

My player character shadow is half not showing and some of the shadows from environment are misaligned. Looks odd.

Seems like it needs a patch.

Holy crap! Titans quest was the reason I backed grim dawn years ago, it was right up there with diablo for my favourite hack and slack loot game lol.

Another vote for the "Titan Quest was awesome the first time round!" brigade. Loved it a LOT. Bought it on Steam not too long ago to replay it and - shock - never got round to it. This Anniversary Ed. is a great excuse to give it another go. Super hyped!

And yes, Grim Dawn also (not either - get BOTH, they are both awesome!)

Top Bottom