• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac themed pop-up restaurant draws 3 hour lines on his 20 year death anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.eater.com/2016/9/14/12913708/tupac-pop-up-restaurant-fresno

3Yf3d88.jpg

A line of Cronut™-esque proportions formed at a burger joint in Fresno, California last night, as hundreds of people flocked to a pop-up restaurant paying tribute to 2pac.

Opening (and closing) on the 20th anniversary of the rapper’s unsolved murder, the owners of Take 3 transformed their fast-casual restaurant into the Powamekka Cafe for one night only, and fans came from miles around to scope out the scene — and the Hennessey chicken wings, which shared the menu with a California Love chicken sandwich and the cleverly-named Brenda’s Baby Back Rib burger.

On Facebook, people reported waiting as long as three hours to make it through the line and order food; around 9 p.m., one person reported they’d been in line since 6:00 — the restaurant didn’t open until 7 — and there were now more than 100 people behind them, with the line stretching around the block.

Some of the less fortunate had to settle for hitting up In-N-Out once the restaurant ran out of food, but there were seemingly plenty of Ghetto Russians (a cocktail of Bailey’s and cognac) to go around.

In hosting the Powamekka Cafe, the hosts weren’t just paying homage to the late music icon; the restaurant concept, from the name to some of the menu items, was taken straight from sketches done by the rapper himself sometime in the 1990s, blown-up versions of which adorned the walls.

3fc2346.jpg

LoTjvPb.jpg

QAUjHCl.jpg

studyguy

Brenda's Baby back ribs seems like in bad taste considering the song, but I'm more interested in how it actually tastes.

Missed an opportunity with All Friez On Me or
I Ain't Mad At (chimi)cha(ngas)

Also not sure I want to eat a rib meal named after a dumpster baby.

jstripes

Banned
Boy, I can't wait for the 25th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. They can open up a pop-up restaurant with meals such as Come As You Are-BQ Ribs, About a Grilled Chicken, and Heart Shaped Bento, served with Pennyroyal Tea.

BosSin

Maybe my Pac knowledge is lacking, I have no idea what the name Powamekka has to do with him.

Also, it doesn't surprise me that a dead celebrity is being used for personal gain.

Az987

all good things
Lol im kind of offended by this.

Brenda's baby back ribs?

For real?

They shouldve gotten hologram Tupac as the waiter.

It was a one night pop-up y'all.

Maybe my Pac knowledge is lacking, I have no idea what the name Powamekka has to do with him.

Also, it doesn't surprise me that a dead celebrity is being used for personal gain.

It came from Tupac's sketches detailing the restaurant/cafe of he wanted to open.

Powamekka%20Before%20and%20After

novenD

I'm not a fan of Tupac, but I'd visit for those entrees.

Call me when Biggie gets a restaurant.

That would make for a very instangramable dining experience

"Motherfucker was amped, chef grabbed a candle, snuffed a candle, and it was on from there. The motherfucker, it wasn't nothing stopping him homes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom