• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulk_Rate

So my wife forbade me from buying PSVR and I pretended to struggle with her on that.

Little does she realize my long game -- to leverage her shooting me down on PSVR to justify adding a Switch to our repertoire on Day 1.

Plus confirmation that Splattoon will be available puts my kids firmly on my side.

I've locked it up!!! Will be my first Day 1 Nintendo since N64.

foxbeldin

RIP d-pad. :(

But it's here !

ZZL3AnQ.png

LordofPwn

1st impressions:
the name is terrible, the logo is ok. like Wii U 2 would have been better in my back, or just stick with NX. to solve this issue i shall call it the NS for short.
Concept is pretty much what i expected.
The concept is great.
3D Zelda on the go.
3D Zelda on the go.
Pro controller support.
Dock looks ugly but it'll blend into my black mass of an entertainment center.
Skyrim on the go.
Nintendo has 3rd party support.
Can't wait for more details, including menus, online interactions/storefront, OS features, and price.

So far it's looking like i'll be purchasing an NS in March.

They did it! I think this concept is going to go down very well for Nintendo especially now that they seem to have the third party support. Wouldn't mind going in a launch.

Pandy

Looks like I was beaten, but oh, well...I'll post these, anyway.

yO3rlz2.gif

Lwyvtrt.gif

It has to be said, they did a really nice job of mixing in the game teases along with hardware shots. It was a bit too 'lifestyle' heavy for me, but as a reveal trailer goes they definitely managed a 'something for everyone' feel.

I'm very interested in the technical breakdown, account systems, etc., but...
there's a new Nintendo console...
with physical media...
and has a brand new 3D Mario game...

I'm sold.

Not knowing what the console hardware does when it's plugged in, it looks okay but playing with dicky small controllers, you're not gonna be whooping and hollering like they're showing. Curious piece of hardware

Jerm411

I'm so in, wish I could pre-order now lol....

As someone who travels extensively for work, this is exactly what I wanted. Can play everything at home and when I leave, boom it all comes with me.

Zelda, Mario, Skyrim, maybe Souls, etc. all on the go....oh yes....oh yes.....

tensuke

So, it's basically a tablet with HDMI out and detachable bluetooth controllers. What really matters is the games, and to a lesser degree the specs. Is this thing really gonna be better than the Wii U? There seems to be a lot of Japanese support, which is good, and some western support, hopefully a good amount.

Adding portability to regular console games is cool, but I don't know what kind of hardware they've got to make it even decent. X2? It's running Skyrim apparently, but we've got tablets that can do that already, and not exactly at 60fps. We'll see in the coming weeks, I guess.

Also, that controller with the two sides attached looks dumb af. And the lack of a real dpad, and the fact they kept the dumb -+ buttons...ugh.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah using those side paddles as a tiny controller all in their own looks uncomfortable.

Looks tight though!

It's finally here. Several leaks were true. I suspect that they somewhat used the leak as an istrumet of guerilla or viral marketing, if the term is correct; or maybe we live in a world where avoiding info leaks are more difficult compared to years ago but isn't the Switch one of the most leaked Big N product. I'm ignorant on the matter, most probably.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lol it's a portable with a TV out charging dock. What justifies such a price?

Nintendo should sell the TV out and controller shell separately and hit $199.

Nah, they need that included to really sell the switch function. Plus it's not like a charging dock and controller shell cost them much.

Include those and try to hit the $200-250 mark would be ideal. Maybe $300 if they bundle it with something like the Splatoon and/or MK ports.

GoldStarz

I was on the fence before i saw the controlled set up now...

Nintendo can talk when they fix their circle pad placement on the right side.

Dark_castle

I just realize, this video is fake!

0:58 guy actually picked up a chick by showing her how far gaming has come. False advertising!

nikos

Alright, I'm HYPED. Day one for sure.

Please no low resolution display.
Please no friend codes.

All I ask, Nintendo.

This is actually more bold then what I expected from Nintendo.

The design of the Switch, Controller's and Dock are all 99% practical design and 1% aesthetic design, Don't get me wrong that's not necessarily a bad thing as I agree that comfort over design is king and I will be buying this day one just for the sole reason of Skyrim on the go, but you can't deny it's fucking ugly.

The name is fantastic, people. Short and communicates the idea behind the console.

Seriously, Switch has a nice ring to it.

Like, we are talking about Nintendo. WiiU, new 3DS XL, 2DS Nintendo.

Cut them some slack.

And it's not like the competition is particularly great at naming their systems either.

Skyrim in a launch trailer for a new Nintendo console? What the hell's happening.

It means Nintendo's third party support is still going to be old ports of games.

As expected, but it's pretty sad to see a 5 year old game shown in the reveal for a new console.

Steiner

Banned
I just had this idea...

What if each of the detachable controllers has its own separate battery that can charge the unit? That could improve battery life on the go.

In other words, say you're out and the Switch is running low on battery. Could you dock both controllers, each with their own separate batteries, and those would help charge / power the unit while you play with a full sized wireless controller?

I'd probably want to play with a full sized controller on the go anyway, those detachable guys look a little too small for me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing about this is, people who don't think they'll ever use it away from the TV at all don't have to worry about that. The point is it is both kinds of devices. If it's cheap, you basically have the prophesied dedicated Nintendo box with all Nintendo's software output in one place. It's also tiny and unobtrusive.

A small cheap thing you hook up to a TV with Nintendo's entire catalog, including ports of the best Wii U games that people didn't get to play because the Wii U flopped? There's definitely attraction here.

Dimmle

Name is really strange to me after spending two years working in storage but the concept is great.

The controller is a little too loud with its branding, though. I hope we're in for a redesign before release a la the original DS.

Saw the framerate chug hard in the Zelda and Skyrim handheld portions. Pretty worried about that. And no more gyro? Splatoon gonna suck then. And WHERE THE HELL ARE THE SCROLL WHEEL BUTTONS? They were the thing I was most looking forward to.

Genkobar

I think I like everything about this except the name, it's a bit bland.

Still, it gets right to the point of the console, so I can't argue with the marketing reasons behind it.

Dvidus

Why does it have to be the same symbols on the action buttons as the Xbox but inversed?

(although, I guess I should blame Microsoft for that mostly)

Theodran

I was a late 3DS and Wii U adapter, purchasing the former a year and a half after release, and the latter not until late last year.

Even before I finished watching the trailer for the Switch, I was frantically looking for a pre-order button on Amazon.

My body is ready.

That was a really good reveal trailer. Impressed.

A little unsure on the name, but once it bounced around in my head a few times i probably grow to like it, i think i've even started too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom