• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Art of Editing and Suicide Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentRob

So this year was pretty bad for anyone who cares about editing in movies. The two most obvious examples for this are Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad. However, explaining why a movie's editing is bad can be quite complicated and needs a lot of setup. Youtuber "Folding Ideas" went through that process and explained at length why Suicide Squad's editing was so terrible and why it made the movie that much worse. I think he does a great job explainign why exactly this movie feels so "wrong", even for anyone who isn't too interested in the specifics of movie editing.

The Art of Editing and Suicide Squad

If you want to skip the setup and go straight to the movie analysis skip to 7:26.

I remember laughing out loud at the "Her heart's out! We can end this!" scene during the movie's premiere and almost dying at the "Worst Edit" he talks about it in the video because it's SO jarring.

I like how it's frequently people I'm subscribed to on YT who get gaf threads made about them.

I enjoyed this video though, loved that Unicorn bit.

Watched the whole thing from the 7:26 mark. A pretty good summary of the narrative holes in the film which probably stemmed from its troubled development. I don't think I even noticed the pink unicorn thing the first time.

Ridley327

Wow, this film really does look unwatchable from this dissection. It's absolutely shocking that something like this happened with the amount of money that went into it.

That being said, I really need "shades of concrete" to become a part of the vernacular for similarly de-saturated films.

-shadow-

I've seen some terrible edited films the past few years, but Suicide Squad was one of the worst I've seen in a while, let alone in theaters. I still can't understand how the hell WB played this. Will watch the video when I get back home, will be interesting!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You know a film's editing is bad when layman can spot how off it is. I know absolutely nothing about film editing and could see how much of a mess it was in Suicide Squad. It's an aspect of film making you take for granted until you see how jarring it is to watch a poorly edited film.

Joeku

I cannot remember where exactly I heard it (and thus, it's third-hand info [maybe RLM?]) but wasn't there a suggestion that a trailer house did an edit of the movie?

If that isn't the case, that's sure what it kind of felt like.

Fake edit: he just mentioned this as I finished typing it.

KonradLaw

BvS wasn't that bad editing-wise. But Suicide Squad was a nightmare. The whole movie simply had no real flow or rhytm. It just felt bizzare and lacked any fluidity.

The criticism is on point but it's delivered a little too smug

Thanks for posting it tho. It's nice to see things that I might've not even realised were bad on top of the ones I already noticed.

I remember literally leaving the cinema in disbelief at just how poorly made the film was yet nobody else seemed to care. A lot of the chatter coming out of the cinema was "that was SO good!" etc.

Boney

Banned
Saw it pop up on my feed. Was it SS where he was just overwhelmed in his car talking how bad it was or was it BVS?

Adam Blue

BvS was not bad at all, IMO (it was good). But I'm open to examples. I guess I'm just the BvS defense Force, but whatever.

Not seen the film, but the editing cannot possible worse than Quantum of Solace? When I think of bad editing it's the first thing that comes to mind.

SS is definitely the worst edited big budget movie I've ever seen, and I'm not the type to ever even notice something like that. But this was just so in your face with it's problems. It's impossible to ignore if you even care a little about film.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
BvS was not bad at all, IMO (it was good). But I'm open to examples. I guess I'm just the BvS defense Force, but whatever.

Examples have been posted all over the internet since the movie came out and if you're still not receptive to them then that's on you.

Have not watched Suicide Squad, but I hated and found it baffling in Batman v Superman how it had no establishing shots to indicate when it was a new scene. It was a really poorly paced film, with a lot of pointless scenes in the first half particularly.

SilentRob

One of the most obvious examples is when there is a 10-minute action scene in which Batman tries to get the Kryptonite that ends with absolutely nothing being achieved only to then cut to the Kryptonite being stolen because Batman then accomplished his task off-screen. So something of no consequence whatsoever is given a huge amount of time while the actual plot development happens off-screen. Another example would be the whole Superman in Court scene that ends with the Bomb going off. At first it seems like someone wants to frame Superman, further pushing public opinion against him but then a few minutes later everyone is aware that it was actually in the wheelchair...so it didn't do anything? Also, the way that scene is shot and edited it seems weird and jarring that Superman didn't stop the bomb from going off and, in fact, doesn't even moven a muscle to protect anyone, instead just staring sadly at the camera.I haven't seen the movie since I saw it in cinema so I don't remember every detail but those are two examples that still jump out to me from an editing perspective.

But I would ask you to open a new thread or post in one of the existing BvS threads if you want to continue to discuss the movie, this is about the Youtube video I posted and the points that are being made there ;)

Glass Rebel

Have not watched Suicide Squad, but I hated and found it baffling in Batman v Superman how it had no establishing shots to indicate when it was a new scene. It was a really poorly paced film, with a lot of pointless scenes in the first half particularly.

I loved how some started arguing that people were too stupid to follow BvS because they needed establishing shots.

This thread is perfectly timed.
Just watched the movie while hangover on the 1st jan , and i noticed this almost imediately and i'm not an expert at all.

Kinyou

The katana introduction scene is getting better every time i see it. I can't believe someone actually signed it off.The actor also really swallows a bunch of words, so they could have at least gone with a different take.

Editing is only 20% of what's wrong with BvS and SS, no amount of editing can save these movies from the horrible scripts..

I'm big into video editing so I'm looking forward to watching this. I'm gonna start trying to make my own video essays soon, they're really enjoyable to work on.

Staf

The katana introduction scene is getting better every time i see it. I can't believe someone actually signed it off.The actor also really swallows a bunch of words, so they could have at least gone with a different take.

Have no idea what you're getting at. I find it very informative.
THIS IS KATANA! I'D ADVICE NOT GETTING KILLED BY HER! HER SWORD TRAPS THE SOULS OF IT'S VICTIMS!

It's not the worst film I have ever seen, but Suicide Squad was mighty strange.

Maybe if they named the movie "Flashback Squad" or the "Deadshot and Harley Movie", it would have been better.

Watched it over holiday, and while I felt like a few bits in there were fantastic, there were others that just fell flat. I like what they tried to do, and I look forward to them doing more, but I hope they hear some of the critical feedback.

And stop fucking around with Lex.

jett

D-Member
That was really good vid, may sub.

Best thing is they actually released it as a promo clip. Someone actually thought it was great. The people working behind the scenes in this movie have no discernible taste whatsoever.

Joeku

This was really good. Thanks for sharing. Totally gonna watch more of this guy's stuff.

I can't believe I went to the bathroom when this scene happened. I missed out on a good laugh.

KonradLaw

Editing is only 20% of what's wrong with BvS and SS, no amount of editing can save these movies from the horrible scripts..

Come on. Both have problems, but to suggest BvS's editing is anywhere near as bad as Suicide Squad is just plain wrong.
BvS's editing problems are something people with lots of knowledge of film making will notice and audience at most subconciously feel. Suicide Squad is edited so badly even somebody with no clue about filmaking will clearly notice how terribly it's cut.
BvS might bad, Suicide Squad is a nightmare

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The DCEU biggest enemies have been the editors. Why do people who do that for a living do it so, so bad?

In case of Suicide Squad, it was a trailerhouse that edited the movie. They don't do movie-editing for a living, they create ads for movies.

jmood88

Man, what an awful movie.

The DCEU biggest enemies have been the editors. Why do people who do that for a living do it so, so bad?
Because it's not just the editing that's the problem; the scripts are bad and the executives don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.

Ahasverus

In case of Suicide Squad, it was a trailerhouse that edited the movie. They don't do movie-editing for a living, they create ads for movies.
What about BvS TC? The Ultimate Cut might obviously be the intended version, but there's a better 2.5 hours cut to make out of it than the TC with out of order scenes and no stablishing shots, not no mention pivotal character moments being cut (All of Superman's characterization, basically).

iddqd

This was super interesting to watch, thanks for posting.
Lots of great youtube stuff coming out with people dissecting films in a smart and fun way.

jmood88

What about BvS TC? The Ultimate Cut might obviously be the intended version, but there's a better 2.5 hours cut to make out of it than the TC with out of order scenes and no stablishing shots, not no mention pivotal character moments being cut (All of Superman's characterization, basically).
A movie that requires 2.5+ hours to begin making sense (and even that is debatable) isn't the editor's fault.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
THIS IS KATANAAAAA

Can't believe they released that clip.

Great video.

I was so hyped that I didn't want to see the writing on the wall when those clips were released. The Katana introduction and the editing in the Joker car chase scene were GIANT red flags and I remember brushing them off. Katana's introduction has some of the clunkiest dialogue of any movie I saw in 2016, and I saw like every shitty YA movie. And the frantic editing is on full display with the Joker & Harley car scene.

Won't be fooled again.

LakeEarth

Not seen the film, but the editing cannot possible worse than Quantum of Solace? When I think of bad editing it's the first thing that comes to mind.

The movie has a scene where Amanda Waller has dinner with a bunch of high-up political guys, explaining her plan about putting together the squad of bad guys. In the VERY NEXT SCENE, Amanda Waller is in a boardroom with ... a bunch of political guys, explaining her plan about putting together the squad of bad guys. Back to back. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom