• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild dub comparision.

Good list.
Mine would probably be
1-Japanese
2-German
3-Latin American Spanish
4-French
5-Russian
6-Italian
7-English
8-European Spanish

Seriously the European Spanish dub sounds pretty awful in my opinion, as does the English dub. Both lack emotion for some reason.
The others are all fine and I'm so very surprised at how good the German dub sounds.
What's great across all dubs is how similar each character give sounds very similar across the different languages.
It's really Disney-esque.

I sorry but you clearly dont know wtf are you talking about. You can think you like some more than others, and thats a matter of opinion, but to criticise a language you clearly dont understand... For example, while I like some of the voices, I could say exactly the same thing about the german dub, but Im clearly not in a position to do so because I dont know the language or how german translates into acting, Ive never seen a series or movie in german so I cant compare either.

Spanish Zelda has a lot of emotion, even shouting no (that shout is funnily something not many people have talked about). The only bad thing you could say about her is the cry is a little bit strange in the second half.

And then the deku tree and King sound amazing. The Deku Tree is probably the best, he just really sounds like a 100 hundred year old tree with a melancholic voice. The King has a very royalty type voice being serious.

CrazyHorse

For those who are saying that the English one is bland: Remember that it has a lot of British voices. Brits are more reserved in public than Americans and thus the difference.

I quite like the British one along with the Japanese and LA. Some of the European ones seem to have volume issues.

NotLiquid

I never really cared for Zelda's English dub even in the previous trailer but the crying is the thing I have the least problems with. I definitely think that the strong impact of the other versions has a great influence but the subtle performance of the English dub works in it's own unique way. It feels much more subtle.

Eylos

Banned
Welp, then NoA should have made the Latam dub stay with that for accustumed purposes.

The italian deku tree ends when he says "qui no te recordi di me" The next voice is the King of Hyrule. I clearly only hear 1 voice when the deku tree talks, though his voice is a little more affable old man than in the other languages, where is more deep and melancholic.

Got it, then its my mistake i didnt notice

JS3DX

Wow, I'm really amazed by the Latin American dub!! :eek:

My ranking: Latin American = Japanese > Spain > Mute Characters >English

EDIT: What are the chances of Nintendo secretly making a Breath of The Wild animated movie?

DemWalls

For all the praise it gets, I really don't hear anything outstanding about the Latin dub. All in all, I think they're all equally decent, just with different nuances.

asagami_

Banned
As a Mexican who loves 80's/90's latin american dubs I'm really impressed by the work. Dubs here really nail it sometimes searching voice actors and actress who sounds similar to their japanese counterpart.

I love it. I will play first in my dub and later in japanese, sure.

I dont know for Latin America, but everyone in Spain pronounces Hyrule how it would sound if pronounced in spanish. So the H is mute, the Y is i and the E at the end is pronounced.
Nobody says High-rul here becuase it would sound stupid in a normal spanish conversation (I know some people like to use it now since the Between Worlds games becuase of the Lorule joke, but the are a minority).

I think plenty of people do. I do, for instance. Some twitter folks were annoyed at the pronunciation, and I tend to agree with them.

Fandangox

When I was a kid I thought "Irule" was the way it was pronounced, then I heard the actual english pronunciation and got used to saying it like that.

But now this, fuck. The Latin American dub would be pretty good if not for that >:V

jett

D-Member
The dub actors/actresses were asked about it and they confirmed Nintendo made them pronounce it that way. "Irule" is canon in Latino, my friend.

Well that's just awful. I'd never be able to play with the Spanish dub, not that I ever do. If I get a Switch, I hope the Latin American version comes with the option for English voices.

The only surprise to me is how "Hyrule" sounds different in every language. I got used to the English pronunciation tbh but I don't like the English dub so... Latin American Spanish would be the best choice for me.

DSN2K

those grading these....I presume you understand the languages in question because if you dont frankly how can say whats better ?

tr00per

those grading these....I presume you understand the languages in question because if you dont frankly how can say whats better ?

I imagine it's the sound and emotion given rather than the actual words. I understand some Spanish and Japanese but the Japanese V/O seems the most zelda-like to me.

Hypron

I'm totally all right with them saying "irule". It sounds weird to pronounce one word with an English accent in a sentence, especially when that place doesn't even exist.

Do you guys also pronounce the name of foreign cities the way they're supposed to be pronounced? Like, Paris as "Pari" with a guttural r? Or Tokyo as toukyou ("ou" = long drawn out "o" sound)?

I honestly prefer Zelda's English dub, particularly the crying scene. It's more subtle and unique and doesn't make her sound like a squealing little child. Not a fan of our Impa though, it's way too forced at trying to sound like an old woman.

The Latin dub is pretty impressive though from what I'm hearing, but then I don't understand any of it so I could be completely wrong haha. Sounds nice though.

tr00per

I'm totally all right with them saying "irule". It sounds weird to pronounce one word with an English accent in a sentence, especially when that place doesn't even exist.

Do you guys also pronounce the name of foreign cities the way they're supposed to be pronounced? Like, Paris as "Pari" with a guttural r? Or Tokyo as toukyou ("ou" = long drawn out "o" sound)?

Damn good question. I will or won't depending on the company. If I'm around people who wouldn't give me a strange look I will usually pronounce it correctly. Funny enough In the US, some words are usually pronounced naturally (ex. quesadilla) but some aren't (porsche is usually pronounced "poursh")
But you can always feel the flow of the sentence disrupt. I guess it's similar to when you hear adapted katakana words in Japanese

jdstorm

Banned
My personal preferences go

Tier 1

1. German - comfortably the best Zelda
2a. Spanish- Latin America
2b. Russian

Tier 2
3. Spanish -Europe
4. Italian
5. French

Tier 3
6.Japanese
7.English

Its a shame that the best languages for the setting have the worst Dubs.

Adryuu

Actually, Beedle has always been called Terry both in Spain and Japan. Maybe they used the Spanish translation for Latin America in WW.
So it's not like the Spanish translations change the English names, but rather that they choose a different one parting from the original Japanese one.

I'd say the european translations tend to keep the name or the idea behind it closer to the japanese, but it differs with every character and game.

The English Zelda wiki has section at the end of every character page where you can look up who's called what and where.

Oh interesting, thanks for the insight. It happens that my last Zelda previous to that one was Skyward and I played in English.

I'm on Twilight Princess now though, and I really disliked some of the names in the town (things like Braulio, Lolo, Otilia), that takes me too near the real world for these games (most games I play) so I default to English, and have set my Wii U to English now.

And btw yeah it's Hairaru in Japanese it seems, so kind of a japanified English pronunciation, which I don't understand but I'm ok with. But then in English it's not /hairal/ but /hairul/ (this will not make sense for native English speakers lol).

And I think Italian said Irule, too.

Chaos17

This. It sounds too 'anime' fake. Hysterical screaming. In the English version Zelda sounds like she's lost all hope and has absolutely no energy left.

The fact that you just used the argument "sound like in anime" just proove that you never really listened to other languages in your life. Heck did you even listened to some spanish musics ? When someone sing good whatever the language, you just know it, it's same with dubbing. You don't need some silly argument.

For me Dragon age origin was well dubbed in english and in french, I played in both version and heard that the voice actors in both languages weren't half faced when doing their job. But unfortunaly the quality in dubbing in Dragon age 2 dropped in french that I had to stick with english.

Heck did I even acknoledged Xenoblade chronocle X dubbing when I was totaly on the fence because I'm too used of half faced dub. But no, they pulled through and I even came to like Emma english voice actress, Nintendo america really make her work her voice. /thumbup

Neptonic

I would have preferred they just made a fake language but the Japanese sounds great. The english just sounds super weak.

Linkark07

Banned
For the first time in recent times, I actually liked a Latin American Spanish dub.

Japanese and Latin American Spanish Zelda, when she cried, it actually made me feel her pain.

oti

Banned
I have only seen the Japanese and English trailers and the English trailer is the one i like more but i don't understand Japanese so i can't say if that was good voice over or not which brings me to how does everyone in here who doesn't speak or understand other languages pick them over a language you do speak natively?

8-4 Play (Japanese localisation studio, great podcast) called it a AAA VO.

Neidii

Japanese and Russian Zelda are definitely the best imo, worst was easily English. I kinda liked eng Zelda in a gameplay video, but in the trailer she has like no emotion

trejo

Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread the Latin American dub is surprisingly good but if I go that route it's gonna be very difficult not to cringe whenever they say "Irúle". I mean, if they absolutely had to change it to something that sounded more natural I would've even taken "Airúl" or something like that. I assume it's way too late to change it by this point, which is a shame.

I sorry but you clearly dont know wtf are you talking about.
Careful there, friend. You appear to be catching some feelings.

The fact that you just used the argument "sound like in anime" just proove that you never really listened to other languages in your life. Heck did you even listened to some spanish musics ? When someone sing good whatever the language, you just know it, it's same with dubbing. You don't need some silly argument.

For me Dragon age origin was well dubbed in english and in french, I played in both version and heard that the voice actors in both languages weren't half faced when doing their job. But unfortunaly the quality in dubbing in Dragon age 2 dropped in french that I had to stick with english.

Alright. I'm a bilingual musician/actor who has listened to operas all my life. Does that make my opinion matter a bit more to you? I don't know if it should, but you saying that my statement proves that I've never listened to other languages all my life? C'mon, son.

To me, Zelda's crying was a bit over the top. The spoken words could be fantastically well done (I wouldn't know, because I have no knowledge of Japanese intonation and dialects), but crying? Crying is universal. Laughing and smiling is universal. Singing is not the same as dubbing. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard in my life.

AgeEighty

Yeah, I'm not ready to rank an entire game's worth of voice performances on a handful of trailer snippets. Trailers don't even always use the same takes.

Alright. I'm a bilingual muscian/actor who has listened to operas all my life. Does that make my opinion matter a bit more to you? I don't know if it should, but you saying that my statement proves that I've never listened to other languages all my life? C'mon, son.

To me, Zelda's crying was a bit over the top. The spoken words could be fantastically well done (I wouldn't know, because I have no knowledge of Japanese intonation and dialects), but crying? Crying is universal. Laughing and smiling is universal. Singing is not the same as dubbing. That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard in my life.

For someone who used the "well I'm a _____" card, you pretty much added to his argument instead of your own. Laughing, smiling, crying and singing are universal, so yeah you could easily equate the performance of the dub to a great singer's performance breaking through the language barrier. To say it's one of the most ridiculous statements you've ever heard really makes me question how valid this music experience of yours really is to miss such a fundamental similarity, they are both emotionally driven vocal performances that can be moving and transcend across multiple cultures.

To quote Shawshank Redemption
"I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't wanna know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you those voices soared, higher and farther than anybody in a grey place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free."

There's a lot more emotion packed into the JP Zelda performance, it certainly moved me. Maybe you're not a fan of exaggerated emotions in works of art but I personally would much rather have too much than too little, and the eng dub is certainly way too little.

I sorry but you clearly dont know wtf are you talking about. You can think you like some more than others, and thats a matter of opinion, but to criticise a language you clearly dont understand... For example, while I like some of the voices, I could say exactly the same thing about the german dub, but Im clearly not in a position to do so because I dont know the language or how german translates into acting, Ive never seen a series or movie in german so I cant compare either.

Spanish Zelda has a lot of emotion, even shouting no (that shout is funnily something not many people have talked about). The only bad thing you could say about her is the cry is a little bit strange in the second half.

And then the deku tree and King sound amazing. The Deku Tree is probably the best, he just really sounds like a 100 hundred year old tree with a melancholic voice. The King has a very royalty type voice being serious.
It needs more Onda Vital tbh.
/jk

On a perfect world they'd give us the Naughty Dog treatment:

Language option for
Voices
Subtitles
Text

Because if they'd do Id go:

Latin Spanish
Latin Spanish
English

I'm too used to 30 years worth of names and terms in English that I can't change now. I'll be confused the moment I hear Espada Maestra instead of Master Sword and it all goes downhill from there.

Mistle

English sounds good to me, other than Zelda's voice sounding a bit more mature/older than she visibly appears. I feel the Japanese version got it right on the other hand. The debated crying part doesn't really bother me though. Yeah, the Japanese version feels more distraught, but the English VA just gave a more subtle performance which is still powerful. Just different interpretations of the scene, it's not worse.

Will be playing in English first time round, if Japanese voices are included I'll probably toggle them on and off every now and then, or even just wait for a complete Japanese replay.

I am pleasantly surprised with the Latin American dub, never have played a game in Spanish, heck I don't even think it would be an option for me since I am in Canada, but if it's available I'd give it a try. Japanese is solid too be I can't stand the kawaii high pitch of young female voices

Top Bottom