• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new FFXIIHD footage from Taipei Game Show

A bunch of videos has been posted online.

Dualshockers did a small article.

Today Square Enix featured a nice chunk of gameplay of the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age during a stage event at Taipei Game Show.

The gameplay was introduced by Final Fantasy Brand Manager Shinji Hashimoto and played live Producer Hiroaki Kato.

We get to see quite a bit of exploration and combat, including a boss battle, the Gambit menu, and a glimpse on the Turbo feature that can be triggereed with L1. A second super-brief video showcased the boss battle again, but since it was streamed in full screen (as opposed to a window like the previous gameplay) the resolution is better.

The re-release of the game will have backgrounds, character models and even cutscenes and fonts will be overhauled in high resolution to match the current generation. Audio will support 7.1 surround sound, higher quality voice acting will be included

Both Japanese and English voices will be available as a selection in the options, and the soundtrack will also be available in two versions: “original” and “re-recorded” in the settings.

Loading times will be reduced, an auto-save feature will be added, and the Turbo mode will also be improved.

Hoping SE will upload the stream. Pretty bad quality in the videos since it's a capture of a stream.

poodaddy

Turbo mode and auto save sounds fantastic, but I'm curious as to the context of "higher quality voice acting." Is it being remastered or rerecorded?

This is one of the few cases where I won't be choosing Japanese over English. Fantastic dub.

And yeah I believe the camera has been changed.

Turbo mode and auto save sounds fantastic, but I'm curious as to the context of "higher quality voice acting." Is it being remastered or rerecorded?
From an older interview:
USG: Are these the original voice performances? Have they just been cleaned up for higher-definition audio?

FFXII: The assets we're using are the original recordings, but we're able to reproduce those audio assets with higher quality compared to the PS2.

I already know the game is fantastic, so they don't need to sell it to me or anything, at this point I just want a release date. I really hope they do give us that at the Anniversary event...

JPS Kai

It's looking pretty good, but that frame rate is really.. unoptimized.

Even the PS4 version doesn't look too far above what I played on the Vita at E3.

teiresias

The English VA is amazing for this game, so I'm glad they're keeping it. I'm actually impressed they have the original recordings to work from, I wouldn't have expected preserving those would have been high on their priority list.

cwistofu

Glad to hear it's shaping up well. Do we know if they've fixed it so you can have multiple big spells at once? Or is scathe always going to be one at a time?

Chris R

This looks really good.

I don't know if I can wait for the eventual PC port :( Probably going to end up with this on day one :(

BigEmil

This does not look like a good remaster at all. Those ground textures etc sheesh and they want near full price for this. I'll wait for it to be 20ish

teiresias

I would love if the PC port properly supported ultrawide aspect ratios. I doubt that's in the cards, though one can dream.

This does not look like a good remaster at all. Those ground textures etc sheesh and they want near full price for this. I'll wait for it to be 20ish

does look washed-out. hopefully, it's mostly the video quality. gotta admit, it could look lots worse & i'd still be getting it - really love this game! :) ...

Looking forward to playing again even though it's not among my favorite FF games to actually play. Mostly excited to bask in the amazing lore of Ivalice and explore it's ruins and palaces. Feels like a game world with deep and well realized history. Not to mention I still haven't done at 1/5 of the optional hunts and dungeons.

Turbo mode isn't something I plan on using. I felt it cheapened the combat for me during my IZJS playthrough a few years ago. Made me always rush and play super sloppy but that's probably just me. I hated how fast they would run around and I'd always get caught on the surroundings.

HeeHo

This is probably my second least favorite FF aside from FFXIII. The art style and localization give me the vibe that I'm supposed to like this game and think it's really cool but this has the most un-fun gameplay in any FF game to me. Maybe I did myself a disservice when I played but I looked up some gambit suggestions and once I did that, the whole game was basically on auto-pilot from then on. I barely had to change anything and I was relegated to being the guy who uses a phoenix down every now and then.

BUT, I'm hoping the job class system and fast forward mode make up for the problems I had with the game. My beef was that not only did the game practically play itself for you, but it was also really grindy with the RNG.

Top Bottom