• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi confirms future Switch support after Disgaea 5

When asked if NIS will make more games for Switch, Niikawa responded with a solid yes. The company won't just make a game for launch and call it quits. Niikawa asks gamers to look forward to an announcement in the future.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nis-o...ea-5-was-chosen-as-first-game-for-the-system/

NIS also said Disgaea 5's porting process was smooth and that there are no downgrades.

Very promising IMO, and I feel they chose the best game to start, as it is their biggest main game I think, being the latest in their main franchise. They could've chosen something pretty niche (for them) from their portfolio (ala Phantom Brave on Wii), but didn't.

Wonder what else they have cooking for Switch.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Smart bet, that the handheld portion is super popular in Japan, and with the Vita's death, going in hard on the Switch will be profitable.

desmax

Well, even if the Switch wasn't a thing, I don't think they'd release any of their "big" ones on the Vita.

So it's nice to have a portable option

Does Nippon Ichi release anything besides Disgaea-related games?

Of course. They released Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain and Cladun Sengoku on Vita last year, and there's The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 for PS4 next month.
Not counting their "Indie" games they release on Vita

KingBroly

Banned
Of course. They released Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain and Cladun Sengoku on Vita last year, and there's The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 for PS4 next month.
Not counting their "Indie" games they release on Vita

I don't really hear much about them is all.

Cool. Keep supporting handhelds and I'll keep buying your shit, NIS. I bought everything you put on Vita except Criminal Girls, would do the same for Switch.

Cerium

This is not the article I remember reading, but it reports the exact same thing:

Some of us here at Nintendo Life have played the PS4 version of Disgaea 5, and we were unable to discern a difference between the original and the Switch version. Fortunately, the demo on hand at the event loaded up with characters already fully leveled up with their flashiest techniques available. Disgaea is known for having over-the-top attacks that result in large explosions and screen-filling effects; even when launching the largest of attacks we observed nary a hiccup or stutter when docked or in portable mode.
I can't find direct feed footage but here's some off screen.

Cerium

Also this is not particularly surprising after his last Famitsu interview:

Shinkawa: That's true. As you've said, we are a software company that has grown together with Playstation, and are well aware that a lot of our fans are on Playstation platforms. So it is not as if we will stop developing games for Playstation. Overseas, Playstation 4 sales are incredibly strong and we will continue making games for the Playstation 4 platform.

However, in Japan we can't just ignore the move to portable gaming consoles. Our games are well suited for portable gaming, so when you think about it, it is important for PS4 and Nintendo Switch to balance each other out and do well. With that in mind, from here on multiplatform develpment for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is very much a possibility.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if they will just port Phantom Brave again. It seems like the second game after Disgaea 1 that they love to port to every system.

I'd be down for them porting some of the old Disgaea titles to the Switch, they are amazing on portables.

RM8

Wow. It's the Nintendo Vita lol. This system is going to do so damn good in Japan.
Vita has sold ~5.5M units in Japan, since 2011. It's honestly not that big of a market, and just adopting the Vita crowd doesn't mean Switch will do "damn good" in Japan :/ I don't know why people think Vita somehow dominated Japan.

Cerium

Vita has sold ~5.5M units in Japan, since 2011. It's honestly not that big of a market, and just adopting the Vita crowd doesn't mean Switch will do "damn good" in Japan :/ I don't know why people think Vita somehow dominated Japan.

What if Vita had Monster Hunter and Nintendo first party support though?

Does Nippon Ichi release anything besides Disgaea-related games?

Phantom Brave is another tactical RPG game they have made along with other games like The Firefly Diary and The Witch and the Hundred Knight.

They are probably more known for the games their western branch, NISA (NIS America), helps publish like the Danganronpa series, some Atlus games in Europe, Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, and Hyperdimension Neptunia games. Those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head.

zulux21

Did anyone expect a Disgaea game to need downgrades? It's a Disgaea game.

yeah why wouldn't it?

it was designed to not be able to run on the ps3.
the switch isn't that much more powerful than a ps3, thus it shouldn't be that surprising some things needed to be altered to make it work.

people tend to forget that graphics aren't the only thing that can push the processing power of a console *shrugs*

as for more nis support, it's not surprising. a lot of the ps4 games can't be easily made to work on the psv, the switch has much more ram which is important for a lot of nis games, and thus will likely be a port machine like the vita was for the ps3 nis games.

Top Bottom