• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi confirms future Switch support after Disgaea 5

Nanashrew

Banned
Vita has sold ~5.5M units in Japan, since 2011. It's honestly not that big of a market, and just adopting the Vita crowd doesn't mean Switch will do "damn good" in Japan :/ I don't know why people think Vita somehow dominated Japan.

It can at least put Nintendo into a stronger position by having developers who worked on 3DS and Vita on their platform and give a wider appeal in Japan.

yeah why wouldn't it?

it was designed to not be able to run on the ps3.
the switch isn't that much more powerful than a ps3, thus it shouldn't be that surprising some things needed to be altered to make it work.

The Switch is several times more powerful than the PS3.

zulux21

The Switch is several times more powerful than the PS3.

which is why the switch is getting a port of disgaea 5 and the ps3 didn't.

it's still not close to a ps4 level's of power, and the ps4 even had some issues with disgaea 5.

despite how it looks, it can be quite demanding at times due to all the stuff going on.

the point being... why would it be surprising that a game, that has some minor performance issues on a more powerful system, required some downgrades to play well on a less powerful system?

Cerium

it's still not close to a ps4 level's of power, and the ps4 even had some issues with disgaea 5.

despite how it looks, it can be quite demanding at times due to all the stuff going on.

the point being... why would it be surprising that a game, that has some minor performance issues on a more powerful system, required some downgrades to play well on a less powerful system?

It's not downgraded though.

Either it's not as demanding as you think it is or Switch is more powerful than you think it is.

Branduil

Vita has sold ~5.5M units in Japan, since 2011. It's honestly not that big of a market, and just adopting the Vita crowd doesn't mean Switch will do "damn good" in Japan :/ I don't know why people think Vita somehow dominated Japan.

It's not that big, but it is technically still bigger than the PS4 and Wii U.

NolbertoS

As much as I love my Vita, the Switch spells its imminent death. I expect NISA, Atlus, Askys, Gust, Xseed, Natsume and countless others, to migrate to Switch for the portable titles. Bring Dranganropa series to Switch

Branduil

That's hardly impressive. It's not even twice the WonderSwan. Selling 5.5M in 7 years would be disastrous for the Switch.

Well, obviously. There's a difference between your primary platform selling like that versus a secondary platform that's already been completely abandoned by its maker.

zulux21

It's not downgraded though.

Either it's not as demanding as you think it is or Switch is more powerful than you think it is.

I had been hearing that it was downgraded, not that it matters to me. once I get a switch I will also get disgaea 5 to play on the go *shrugs*

I would still fully expect it to have some minor issues in the same places the ps4 did.

as for the switch... I know it's stronger than a ps3, and weaker than a ps4. weaker enough to a ps4 that direct ports of games that push the ps4 will be out of the question without downgrades at times, but beyond that I don't care how many terraflops it has. I am a niche gamer in general, cutting edge graphics never really interest me, interesting games do.

As much as I love my Vita, the Switch spells its imminent death. I expect NISA, Atlus, Askys, Gust, Xseed, Natsume and countless others, to migrate to Switch for the portable titles. Bring Dranganropa series to Switch

eh.... I imagine they will just go multiplatform with a lot of their games. the vita still has a few years of life left to it in japan.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I mean, its those type of games ontop of monster hunter and pokemon and other big nintendo franchises.

Not to mention square enix almost going all in on the switch

Yagharek

What were their PS2 era games?

Phantom Brave, La Pucelle and Disgaea? There were more I think but the names escape me.

They were always too daunting to get into because of the depth and grind commitment. But I appreciate that they got PAL ports back then which was a rarity in prior generations.

jdstorm

Banned

This isnt strictly true. Going by the harware rumours the Switch's CPU will be on par with or maybe even be stronger then the PS4/Pro/XboxOne/S

Where it lags is in the GPU. In practice this means all game logic should run comfortably on the Switch, with Resolution being the main Graphical compromise.

However in many less demanding games the Switch should do OK.

AniHawk

Phantom Brave, La Pucelle and Disgaea? There were more I think but the names escape me.

They were always too daunting to get into because of the depth and grind commitment. But I appreciate that they got PAL ports back then which was a rarity in prior generations.

those three and soul nomad and the world eaters.

soul nomad is the secret best one.

It's a Nintendo Vita aka Vita plus Nintendos games.

zulux21

Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
GrimGrimoire

are the ones they worked on that you missed.

for the ps2 era they also published the atelier games, Ar tonelico, and released a single Sakura Wars game.

aka plenty of decent niche jrpgs.

they released some other stuff, but most of that was bad and not worth mentioning :p

for the record, the disgaea series is a bit misleading in terms of grind. the actual main story doesn't require much of a grind, and aside from a few item world runs here and there you can play through the main story with out to much trouble. it's all the extra content that requires the in depth stuff :p you can play disgaea by merely leveling up your characters and ignoring most other systems aside from geo squares and throwing people.

This isnt strictly true. Going by the harware rumours the Switch's CPU will be on par with or maybe even be stronger then the PS4/Pro/XboxOne/S

Where it lags is in the GPU. In practice this means all game logic should run comfortably on the Switch, with Resolution being the main Graphical compromise.

However in many less demanding games the Switch should do OK.

fair enough, as I said though in the end it doesn't matter much. all that matters is that it continues to get awesome games like disgaea 5 on it. though it would make sense why disgaea runs well on it if it merely lags in GPU as that is the thing that isn't that demanding on the system with disgaea.

AniHawk

Have they done a good off season game recently? I miss shit like phantom brave and makai. Disgaea is so stale.

coven received strong reviews and sold well in japan. that comes from one of their bigger teams. yomawari came out last year and had a small following, but it was made from a much smaller group.

Thoraxes

Bring all the games NIS/NISA. I need more handheld/console experiences like this. Their games are things i'd have double-dipped on if they had cross-play in the Sony eco-system. Switch is a great way to accommodate my playstyle (handheld on the go, TV while at home), and i'd like to buy their future games there.

zulux21

Have they done a good off season game recently? I miss shit like phantom brave and makai. Disgaea is so stale.

as others have said already they have been doing a bunch of different genres instead of different themed srpgs.

if i recall right they lost a decent amount of their talent to idea factory, and stuff like trillion which would be more like what you might be looking for was done by that talent.

Some Nobody

Okay, I'll go ahead and say it: If the Switch gets the support it should, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a MONSTER success in Japan. It's the Vita at the beginning of its life cycle, WITH a power boost, AND all the Nintendo first-party franchises from Mario and Zelda to Pokemon.

And if I'm being honest this thing SHOULD be a magnet for all J-RPG players at some point in the future, though that..doesn't say nearly as much for how well it'll do internationally lol.

Buzzi

Put Fuuraiki 3 on it then localise it. Please. For the love of god.

Didn't think I would ever read that name from someone other than me.
Definitely, since I discovered the concept I'm crying for the lack of a localization (even fanmade) of any of the titles in the series ;__;

jonno394

I expect all their games to be ps4/switch going forward.

Much more interested to see what idea factory do going forward. They found success with the vita and their neptunia games.

Ponn

Banned
Okay thats good and all but why don't we have a date for Disgaea 5 yet and why can't I preorder it on Amazon NIS?

jonno394

Okay thats good and all but why don't we have a date for Disgaea 5 yet and why can't I preorder it on Amazon NIS?

Special and Standard editions are up for pre-order on NIS website, i'm hoping it's not an exclusive there as could spell doom for what little sale success it might find in the west.

And hopefully Monster Hunter.

I don't see any reason to believe that 3rd party series that were strongly associated with the 3DS wouldn't also be strongly associated with the Switch. Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Layton, Yokai Watch, Shin Megami Tensei, Story of Seasons, etc all that stuff is going to be on Switch.

Ponn

Banned
You can order the special edition straight from their store.

Special and Standard editions are up for pre-order on NIS website, i'm hoping it's not an exclusive there as could spell doom for what little sale success it might find in the west.

Thanks yea i've seen that but I don't want all that stuff for the money and I want my Prime discount. I also find it funny they have it for preorder on their own site and still don't have a date for it.

Cerium

I don't see any reason to believe that 3rd party series that were strongly associated with the 3DS wouldn't also be strongly associated with the Switch. Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Layton, Yokai Watch, Shin Megami Tensei, Story of Seasons, etc all that stuff is going to be on Switch.

There was that rumor that they're splitting the Portable and Mainline Monster Hunter series again.

Monster Hunter 5 on PS4, Monster Hunter Portable 5 on Switch.

There was that rumor that they're splitting the Portable and Mainline Monster Hunter series again.

Monster Hunter 5 on PS4, Monster Hunter Portable 5 on Switch.

What's the source on that? Why would they jump from a low cost/high return platform to console? MH audience is on handheld, despite the occasional port-begging GAF thread.

Cerium

What's the source on that? Why would they jump from a low cost/high return platform to console? MH audience is on handheld, despite the occasional port-begging GAF thread.
The reasoning is that they want to make a play for the west.

It matches these ominous comments Capcom made.

- Capcom predicts 100million PS4's and 40~50million Xbox One's will be sold by 2020.
- Predicts Street Fighter 5 will have long legs due to its e-sports popularity
- Capcom is a rare Japanese video game developer with a heavy focus on overseas consumers, must make games to appeal to the foreign consumers
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

Here is the rumor:

So there's a 4chan rumour from a guy who called XX a few hours before the reveal.

He states MH5 is being developed for PS4
Sony have paid to not have it on the Switch
Will take on open world gameplay and make it more incline to Western appeal, getting rid of the timer and missions.
The MHPortable series will continue on the Switch, and sticks to the current formula
I'd believe 4chan over any of the professional leakers to be honest.

jonno394

Yeah the rumours about Capcom execs shitting themselves over the decision when they saw MH X success and doubting their MH5 decision makes too much sense in my head.

Cerium

Thread managed to sum up everything that needed to be said in the OP, lol.

Monster Hunter XX turned out to be real though. And there was no precedent for that naming scheme before. The safe guess would have been XG or something.

Also Capcom frequently acts like they have no idea what they're doing so why should this be any different?

Top Bottom