• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi confirms future Switch support after Disgaea 5

Monster Hunter XX turned out to be real though. And there was no precedent for that naming scheme before. The safe guess would have been XG or something.

Also Capcom frequently acts like they have no idea what they're doing so why should this be any different?

That 4chan thread was posted after the direct revealed the name.

Cerium

That 4chan thread was posted after the direct revealed the name.

That's not true.

edit: Actually I may be wrong, I'm not sure how 4chan logs time.

Even if you disregard the rumor, the Capcom comment about trying to grow sales in the west on console is pretty cut and dry.

If there is not a split, I do expect MH5 to be multiplatform.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How did a Nippon Ichi Switch support thread turn into another Monster Hunter debate ? lol

News is pretty positive, but expected - Switch is the perfect system for the games they develop,

Oregano

As much as I love my Vita, the Switch spells its imminent death. I expect NISA, Atlus, Askys, Gust, Xseed, Natsume and countless others, to migrate to Switch for the portable titles. Bring Dranganropa series to Switch
A bunch of Vita Devs/pubs are either going to stick with Vita for a while or go to PS4. We're already seeing that in Japan.

A bunch of Vita Devs/pubs are either going to stick with Vita for a while or go to PS4. We're already seeing that in Japan.

I wouldn't expect them to make a switch (yes) from PS4 development but I WOULD expect them to consider whatever portable concept they got with the Switch instead of the Vita.

Oregano

I wouldn't expect them to make a switch (yes) from PS4 development but I WOULD expect them to consider whatever portable concept they got with the Switch instead of the Vita.

Some Vita devs/franchises are going PS4-only, they are not even making portable versions. I'm not sure how it will do for them(I imagine not great) but we'll see.

Bandai Namco's God Eater project is one to watch.

Some Vita devs/franchises are going PS4-only, they are not even making portable versions. I'm not sure how it will do for them(I imagine not great) but we'll see.

Well? Consider Disgaea! D5 never went to Vita. It's been PS4 only for the last year and the previous entries had Vita ports.

D5 was saved due to overseas PS4 sales. For niche games its certainly a venture that is possible. GE is very doubtful considering how much it sells in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Irrelevant sales wise in the grand scheme of things but welcome to merge the 3ds/vita support from japan, probably the only possible way for some publisher

Oregano

D5 was saved due to overseas PS4 sales. For niche games its certainly a venture that is possible. GE is very doubtful considering how much it sells in Japan.

Sure, I agree with Takao though. D5 might have done a lot better in the west than Japan but if you take NIS at face value then D4 only did 40k outside Japan which is somewhat hard to believe. NIS wouldn't be supporting Switch at all if they were happy to just live off those western sales.

As to other series/developers that will vary. There will be some obvious examples where the western release more than justifies the choice and some where it won't.

AniHawk

Sure, I agree with Takao though. D5 might have done a lot better in the west than Japan but if you take NIS at face value then D4 only did 40k outside Japan which is somewhat hard to believe. NIS wouldn't be supporting Switch at all if they were happy to just live off those western sales.

As to other series/developers that will vary. There will be some obvious examples where the western release more than justifies the choice and some where it won't.

i don't think developers and publisher will want to take chances. if they see an opportunity for more profit, they'll take it.

disgaea 5 did really well in the west, but it could have done better. the ps4 is more like an xbox 360 than a ps2 or even ps3 as of now.

If it's possible i think many of them will go multiplat PS4/Switch in the future.

Vita has sold ~5.5M units in Japan, since 2011. It's honestly not that big of a market, and just adopting the Vita crowd doesn't mean Switch will do "damn good" in Japan :/ I don't know why people think Vita somehow dominated Japan.

Switch will get the Wii U, 3DS, and Vita markets all in one. Plus more, I suspect from the PS4 crowd who don't see high-end graphics as the primary reason that they game.

Vena

Didn't that rumour also say MHXX was releasing on Switch though?

Yes. Which means either we have another direct or it was wrong or plans changed. They definitely got the name BEFORE the Direct reveal, though, by like half a day or so I think.

But that rumor had a whole lot of other rather fantastical info...

In what sense?

Given his position, he's talking about how it supports this software in sales trajectory. So it's behaving as the 360 did vs. the previous gen PlayStations. So it's weaker than before.

Takao

Banned
In what sense?

In the sense that you shouldn't expect random, no budget, no known IP, Japanese game XYZ to push hundreds of thousands of units off of strong western sales. The big Japanese games did okay on 360 in the west. It's everything else that had a problem.

Lexxism

Switch is pretty much my Japanese gaming machine. Hopefully more of them will support it. I definitely like playing JRPG on a go.

Oregano

Yes. Which means either we have another direct or it was wrong or plans changed. They definitely got the name BEFORE the Direct reveal, though, by like half a day or so I think.

But that rumor had a whole lot of other rather fantastical info...

Given his position, he's talking about how it supports this software in sales trajectory. So it's behaving as the 360 did vs. the previous gen PlayStations. So it's weaker than before.

In the sense that you shouldn't expect random, no budget, no known IP, Japanese game XYZ to push hundreds of thousands of units off of strong western sales. The big Japanese games did okay on 360 in the west. It's everything else that had a problem.

I've not really heard of any small games struggling on PS4 in the west. In fact the amount of games that get localised and drop other SKUs for the west indicates the opposite.

This is what I like to read.

The probably won't have a lot of success at first but at least they are trying to build a fanbase.

👏

If Falcom, Gust, Acquire etc. pledge their support to Switch in the coming months, then I guess I'll finally have the handheld Vita successor I've always wanted.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens. There's another 12 months left in Vita yet, which is helpful for me since I don't want to drop £300 on a Switch, and equally I'm not such a fan of gaming on home console anymore which is why I do most of my gaming on handhelds.

So if Switch takes over that niche, I'll be very happy. Getting NIS on board is the first step!

diaspora

That's not true.

edit: Actually I may be wrong, I'm not sure how 4chan logs time.

Even if you disregard the rumor, the Capcom comment about trying to grow sales in the west on console is pretty cut and dry.

If there is not a split, I do expect MH5 to be multiplatform.
I agree, there will likely be a3DS version imo.

I've thought about if they should attempt at a Disgaea 1 & 2 compilation on Switch, seeing as both were PS2 games, and 2-packs of HD PS2 ports happened before on other systems (like Yakuza 1 & 2 HD on PS3 and Wii U).

I think a Disgaea 3 & 4 2-pack would be a large undertaking, if only because those are much more recent and are both PS3 games (hey if SE can do that with Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 on Switch, why not).

A large candidate is Witch and the Hundred Knight 2... maybe, apparently that's out on PS4 next month? But that's on Sony's Phyre Engine, but I read that OlliOlli2 ran on it and that's on XBO so it's not just limited to SOny hardware (and mobile as a lot of its games are on apparently).

There's also the question of where do Gust, Falcom, and Compile Heart/Idea Factory go from here? Falcom seem like the least likely, seeing how they wouldn't even bother self-publishing the outsourced 3DS port of Gurumin 3D (FlyHigh Works did instead in Japan), hell it was Mastiff who got that port off the ground.

At least Gust did Rorona 3DS, and Compile Heart did numerous DS and a couple of Wii games way back, and Idea Factory did do a single 3DS game.

I honestly doubt that will happen. Have they ever really put their games on a Nintendo system? Those guys are pro-Sony all the way.

No kidding. The only Nintendo games from then in say... 15 years, were:

Ys Books 1 & 2 (DS, developed by Dreams Inc, published in JP by Hudson Soft and in NA by Atlus)

Gurumin 3D (3DS, developed by Opus Studio and iNPLAS, published in NA and EU first by Mastiff, and in JP by FlyHigh Works)

Yeah, it's pretty clear. But if they depend on Vita, they may have to move to Switch sooner or later. Hell NIS had a shaky history with Nintendo support, now they're seemingly bringing their A game to Switch. Try predicting that 5 years ago!

EDarkness

No kidding. The only Nintendo games from then in say... 15 years, were:

Ys Books 1 & 2 (DS, developed by Dreams Inc, published in JP by Hudson Soft and in NA by Atlus)

Gurumin 3D (3DS, developed by Opus Studio and iNPLAS, published in NA and EU first by Mastiff, and in JP by FlyHigh Works)

Yeah, it's pretty clear. But if they depend on Vita, they may have to move to Switch sooner or later. Hell NIS had a shaky history with Nintendo support, now they're seemingly bringing their A game to Switch. Try predicting that 5 years ago!

I don't think they need to move over to the NS. Perhaps they can survive off of the PS4 and PC markets. Sure, they'd have no handheld presence, but they should be able to sell games and keep their fans happy that way.

EDarkness

The same you could have said about Nippon Ichi a few months ago.

I don't know. They have been known to port their games over to other platforms. I have one of their games for the Wii. Falcom? They're almost 100% pro-Sony and I doubt they'll move their games over unless they can't sell them anywhere else. I hope I end up being wrong since I really like the Ys series, but they were even at the last Playstation event showing off their next game. I just don't see them going anywhere else.

AniHawk

In what sense?

in the sense that it's not really a safe place for smaller localizations. it's a far more western-focused platform than the ps3 or ps2. ten years ago, something like grand kingdom and exist archive might have had a pretty good go on the ps2, but in 2016, the ps4 isn't a slam dunk place for those kinds of games. disgaea 5 almost stumbled into its success due to the sprite-based graphics being accepted as a fun novelty in 2015 instead of being accused as outdated and cheap-looking (which was the main criticism of disgaea 3).

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't think they need to move over to the NS. Perhaps they can survive off of the PS4 and PC markets. Sure, they'd have no handheld presence, but they should be able to sell games and keep their fans happy that way.

Aren't Japanese games on the decline ATM on PC? I think I read that here on gag a few months ago

Oregano

in the sense that it's not really a safe place for smaller localizations. it's a far more western-focused platform than the ps3 or ps2. ten years ago, something like grand kingdom and exist archive might have had a pretty good go on the ps2, but in 2016, the ps4 isn't a slam dunk place for those kinds of games. disgaea 5 almost stumbled into its success due to the sprite-based graphics being accepted as a fun novelty in 2015 instead of being accused as outdated and cheap-looking (which was the main criticism of disgaea 3).

Hmmm that's a bit weird. Publishers are pushing forward with localisations so clearly something is working.

Aren't Japanese games on the decline ATM on PC? I think I read that here on gag a few months ago

Nah, it's more that there's a lot more competition now and the novelty factor of being a Japanese game on Steam is no longer there.

The novelty factor can be a big boon for publishers. Senran Kagura benefited on 3DS for instance and NIS is certainly hoping that being the first "Vita Publisher" will give them a competitive advantage if/when Switch takes off.

Vena

Hmmm that's a bit weird. Publishers are pushing forward with localisations so clearly something is working.

Not really, where else would they go? This is not a situation where they were/are spoiled for choice. There's a real lack of choice.

AniHawk

there really isn't another choice. 3ds actually gets mainstream support, but the small stuff like zero escape, legend of legacy, and stella glow gets snapped up quickly. vita is the only other platform and it's been dying or dead for some companies for a while now. what you're seeing on ps4 is a small handful of localization groups trying to make the ps4 into a thing with varying levels of success. but they basically have to claw their way up from nothing because sony's focus has been on western games and western gamers, which cultivates an audience that isn't really great for these localization groups. it's like a much better xbox one.

there really isn't another choice. 3ds actually gets mainstream support, but the small stuff like zero escape, legend of legacy, and stella glow gets snapped up quickly. vita is the only other platform and it's been dying or dead for some companies for a while now. what you're seeing on ps4 is a small handful of localization groups trying to make the ps4 into a thing with varying levels of success. but they basically have to claw their way up from nothing because sony's focus has been on western games and western gamers, which cultivates an audience that isn't really great for these localization groups. it's like a much better xbox one.

How did Legend of Legacy and Stella Glow do in the west, if you don't mind me asking?

Oregano

Not really, where else would they go? This is not a situation where they were/are spoiled for choice. There's a real lack of choice.

I wasn't just talking about the small guys. Bamco is bringing a lot more stuff westward nowadays and in some cases even making a PS4 version for the west.

You guys might be right though.

AniHawk

I wasn't just talking about the small guys. Bamco is bringing a lot more stuff westward nowadays and in some cases even making a PS4 version for the west.

You guys might be right though.

i think ni no kuni led to a huge change of heart for some of the guys in bandai namco. they practically did an about-face on their localization practices after that and started to bring out everything. and that's good. everyone succeeds when more people are bringing games out like that to build a fanbase.

capcom could learn a thing from that and give their ace attorney series some more visibility as a physical release, and bring over other spinoffs.

This isnt strictly true. Going by the harware rumours the Switch's CPU will be on par with or maybe even be stronger then the PS4/Pro/XboxOne/S

Where it lags is in the GPU. In practice this means all game logic should run comfortably on the Switch, with Resolution being the main Graphical compromise.

However in many less demanding games the Switch should do OK.

Pretty much this. I've said elsewhere that if the Switch misses out on a game, it won't be due to power, but the publisher's call. On resolution, I reckon a lot of Nintendo fans would gladly take sub HD in portable mode (which, by the way, still looks great, if you've used the Wii U GamePad for Off-TV Play before), and 720p in home mode (which matters less when you're sat a reasonable distance from your television set, as one should be), so long as it meant that they got all of the X4 non-exclusive titles from "third parties". At least, it would be a far better position than not having the chance to play on their console of choice. I know that wouldn't sit so well with some on here, but honestly, I don't believe that most people care THAT much about resolution differences.

Top Bottom