• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koizumi: "Soon you will a lot more (Switch) announcements from third-party partners."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...rview-nintendo-price-games-hopes-new-console/

http://gonintendo.com/stories/273813-nintendo-3rd-party-switch-reveals-soon-several-online-services

On that lineup, Zelda looks terrific, but there isn’t many games for day one. Does that not concern you?

Takahashi Certainly we look at it not just from the perspective of what are the games available on launch day but what we have from a lineup perspective not just from this year but into next year aswell. And speaking just about this year we have our launch games, Zelda and 1-2-Switch, and we’ve lined up so we’ve got great games launching in each season of this year. We’ll have Mario Kart shortly after launch, Arms in the Spring, the lineup continues after the holiday. This time we feel we’ve launched a system that has great games at launch in Zelda and 1-2-Switch but also a very strong lineup through the end of the year aswell.

Koizumi As you know we’ve been focussed on development on first party games, but with Nintendo Switch we’ve also put a lot of energy into making third-party cooperation possible, and that includes a lot of attention paid to the development environment that we are provided to these partners as well as the middleware we create for them. Soon you will a lot more announcements from third-party partners.

My response; GET TO IT! :p

Hopefully we get some major announcements soon, and not just from indies.

Oregano

The whole interview is interesting.

Koizumi directly says the plan is for 3DS owners to upgrade to Switch.

On the downside he also says the Smartphone app is pretty essential to the online experience.:(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense that more announcements will follow once the launch is over and we head into e3. multiplattform now.
Watch this "third party partners" turn out to be either a) Japanese or b) indies.

..and ?

DMONKUMA

I imagine you will gets Switch port announcements a bit before E3 since that's when most of the fall games are revealed with their platforms as well.

Watch this "third party partners" turn out to be either a) Japanese or b) indies.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Of course not have some major western 3rd party games kinda sucks I think most would expect a lot of support from Japanese and indie developers on this device.

I wonder why they're holding back on these announcements, trying to focus on the systems launch first perhaps? Either way I'm happy with Switch's lineup, we seem to have a consistent stream of games coming.

Jackano

Takahashi totally don't answer the day one line-up question.
They act like the slow build-up of the 1st party library will be enough and part of the plan.

At least we have the Splatoon 6 hours demo in March now.

Delusibeta's probably a bit cranky that the Switch most likely isn't gonna get the big western AAA support that the PS4/Xbone are getting. Stuff like Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect and what not.

I can understand, but honestly, I think as long as the Switch can receive the same key support that the 3DS has gotten over the years (like, you know, Monster Hunter), I think we'll be fine.

kennyamr

As long as it doesn't include PS3/Xbox360 ports, I'm looking forward to it.

The Switch does needs cool JRPGs, I hope it gets some as well.

Nintendo's dev support improving is probably the more notable quote.
Though I would expect more bigger 3rd party games to be announced in the future even if it's not games like Mass Effect

Malus

Just show me what Platinum's working on damnit.

Though with Scalebound just recently canceled and another team working on Nier, I dunno how far along they could be on anything.

I wonder why they're holding back on these announcements, trying to focus on the systems launch first perhaps? Either way I'm happy with Switch's lineup, we seem to have a consistent stream of games coming.
Who says they're holding back on announcements? Maybe third parties are holding back support until they know it's not going to be another Wii U.

Majine

Banned
I can understand, but honestly, I think as long as the Switch can receive the same key support that the 3DS has gotten over the years (like, you know, Monster Hunter), I think we'll be fine.

We haven't seen that so far, and according to statements, they seem not keen on closing the door on a future 3DS successor just yet.

Is it just talk because they still make good money on 3DS or are they still intent on consolidating all their software efforts around Switch? I haven't been paying attention.

entremet

Koizumi is a better frontman than Miyamoto.

I love Miyamoto, but Nintendo was disparately in need of some new blood in the PR front.

I love Treehouse, but NCL are the pacesetters.

Oregano

We haven't seen that so far, and according to statements, they seem not keen on closing the door on a future 3DS successor just yet.

Is it just talk because they still make good money on 3DS or are they still intent on consolidating all their software efforts around Switch? I haven't been paying attention.

Well...

You’ve mentioned the 3DS there. Will you continue to support the dedicated handheld given Switch could potentially replace it?

Certainly I think 3DS from a price perspective is quite a bit lower, and it’s a system we’ve released a very large library for. So I think from that perspective it’s a very good system for kids to have as their first system. We still see a lot of potential for 3DS in that area. And with that in mind we’re thinking of games to release for 3DS not just in 2017, but in 2018 as well. And the hope there also is that kids playing on 3DS will also shift over to Switch at some point in the future.

I live in hope, but with all the major third party titles we've had announced that won't be coming to the system, as well as the ever looming historical precedent of support getting worse each generation, I really need to see actual proof that Nintendo are both working with third parties to get ports, and putting their money where their mouths are with advertising and courting a more diverse audience.

Top Bottom