• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

Yet he wasn't smart enough to equally think out that the Faro incident could still happen again without that history.

Most of his logs I found just boiled down to "Teaching them things is bad." No real reasoning.
Didnt the characters refute his actions too? Aloy and Sylens both thought it was a stupid and selfish thing to do.

Look, there's examples in the world for his actions at the moment. Smart people doing extremely stupid things out of fear.

mokeyjoe

Yeah, I would have definitely preferred something other than another Deathbringer. With all the great design on show in this game you'd think they'd be eager to end the game with something crazy and spectacular. With that said the finale sequence as a whole was pretty good. The burning town looked incredible.

Yeah, I would have definitely preferred something other than another Deathbringer. With all the great design on show in this game you'd think they'd be eager to end the game with something crazy and spectacular. With that said the finale sequence as a whole was pretty good. The burning town looked incredible.
I wnjoyed the fight, but was pretty disappointed I had to fight it again too.

At least the ending is fantastic. Had a fun time messing with photomode during the credits as well. Dont know why it blew my mind so much that even the credits were real time.

Alo0oy

Banned
The final boss should have been you + all the sidequest allies vs a machine army IMO. The more sidequests you do the easier the fight becomes, I was very disappointed when I realized the trophy for having all allies at the finale only meant a few conversations when they could have handled it like the ME2 final mission.

A.J.

Banned
I mean you may consider it boring but it makes sense. Remember, he literally caused the end of civilization. How do you think someones state of mind would be after that? It's a logical thing to happen to them.

Honestly I was expecting Faro to commit Suicide under such grief and stress. But it's odd nevertheless since there was supposed to be on staff psych checks from what I remember reading from the logs. But if they had to go with the angle of him destroying Apollo I think the better option would have been having him accidentally destroy Apollo in an attempt to destroy Hades. You'd think he would be a lot more apprehensive about the legitimate human extinction program than the history program. If they had done that then Faro would be a more interesting character because in the end he almost would have helped the future of humanity, but ended up hurting it in an unclear mental state. But you can't bash a story for what they didn't do. In the end Faro is a far less interesting character than he could have been and is just a catalyst for causing the problems that set the game in motion.

iMax

Just finished last night. What an outstanding game! The final boss was a little bit of a letdown. I expected something new, instead we got a Deathbringer. Other than that, I really liked to ending.

I expect the sequel to be about re-setting Gaia. I'd love for Aloy to have to travel further west. Maybe somewhere coastal (I want to see some robot sharks and whales!).

I think Sylens will be the bad guy, but not 100% evil. Zero Dawn showed us Sylens' and Aloy's opposing viewpoints, and I think the sequel will go deeper into that relationship. As Sylens gains more knowledge, I think he'll basically become HADES in the flesh.

I probably got my hopes up but I fully expected to fight the reborn Metal Devil at the end.

I wnjoyed the fight, but was pretty disappointed I had to fight it again too.

At least the ending is fantastic. Had a fun time messing with photomode during the credits as well. Dont know why it blew my mind so much that even the credits were real time.

I thought the credits were the best in any game I've ever seen. It was no coincidence that it was set in a cauldron, where the machines are made by GAIA, either.

LoveCake

I have been managing to do a few silent/stealth kills on some of the lower level machines that kill them with one hit, does this work on all machines?

jdstorm

Banned
I always assumed that Teds motivations for wiping Apollo were

1. He was an analogue to modern polititions with a romanticized idea of humanity restoring itself through hard work.
Raising themselves up by bootstraps and all that political bagage

2.Ted was a vein selfish egotistical man who couldnt handle the idea that future generations would know him as the man who's arrogance and greed destroyed the human race.

Both of these themes are inline with the games insistance that Curiosity and Compassion are the defining characteristics humanity should strive for. Ted ultimately fits within that viewpoint even if his rationale is twisted and wrong.

Just finished. Didn't know GG had it in them but wow, great story overall. It actually...makes sense. Discovering Zero Dawn and the project itself was fantastic. But like you guys, I'm curious who sent the signal that triggered HADES.

Sylens is a great character, his relationship with Aloy was so well made. Nil was pretty great as well, great side quest. I want more of those quests, more involvement from other characters, I want to know if there were more tribes, more machines(they can came up with anything they want basically).

To think this was their first try at a RPG...I cannot wait for the sequel. Combat was probably the best I've ever played in a open world(not counting Souls). I don't need to say anything about graphics.

GG, GG.

Edit: I've read some discussions here towards Ted Faro motivations...but his actions actually make sense in a dark way, if you wanna say so. And he was so full of himself that I doubt he wanted to be remembered by mankind as almost their terminator. And to have knowledge without means...would be very infuriating. And knowledge by itself can be very dangerous, Sylens for instance is up to no good.

I think the game played very well that double edged sword of knowing/not knowing.

Wollan

So it was Hephaestus (whom controls the Cauldrons) and not Hades that was responsible for the derangement. Did we ever learn why?
I see in one of the logs, after beating Zigma, that the Cauldron system inspects a 'wyrm' file and pinpoints source as Hephaestus. Then it sets status to flora and fauna being threatened by humans and it starts to equip the robots. Seems weird though that Hephaestus would have to do a wyrm attack against the very systems it controls? Likely Hades or whoever awoken Hades?

Wikipedia said:
Hephaestus (Ἥφαιστος, Hḗphaistos)
God of fire, metalworking, and crafts. Either the son of Zeus and Hera or Hera alone, he is the smith of the gods and the husband of the adulterous Aphrodite. He was usually depicted as a bearded, crippled man with hammer, tongs, and anvil, and sometimes riding a donkey. His sacred animals include the donkey, the guard dog, and the crane. Among his creations was the armor of Achilles. Hephaestus used the fire of the forge as a creative force, but his Roman counterpart Vulcan was feared for his destructive potential and associated with the volcanic power of the earth.

iMax

So it was Hephaestus (whom controls the Cauldrons) and not Hades that was responsible for the derangement. Did we ever learn why?
I see in one of the logs, after beating Zigma, that the Cauldron system inspects a 'wyrm' file and pinpoints source as Hephaestus. Then it sets status to flora and fauna being threatened by humans and it starts to equip the robots. Seems weird though that Hephaestus would have to do a wyrm attack against the very systems it controls? Likely Hades or whoever awoken Hades?

Important distinction I discovered after rewatching the cutscenes. The 'signal' didn't corrupt HADES. It corrupted all subordinate functions of GAIA.

Wollan

I expect the sequel to be about re-setting Gaia. I'd love for Aloy to have to travel further west. Maybe somewhere coastal (I want to see some robot sharks and whales!).
She travels west to Nevada to Elisabeth's home. Also the song title for the final Sylens scene is named 'A Storm In The West'.

I also concur that I would love to see aquatic enemies that lures near the shorelines. Would be perfect way to show off that water-tech 2.0 in the next game. ;)

I'm barely into the game so I shouldn't be entering this thread but I just had to come in and say that the Proving was kinda lame, right?

Like this monumental trial that like no outcast has attempted before and requires Aloy to train her whole childhood for, is to go deer hunting and then for a short run in the snow? Even winning didn't matter since everyone who finished got a participation ribbon lol.

Xeteh

When I found out what Faro did to the Alphas I actually said "What a piece of shit" at my TV. I really enjoyed learning about the people who worked on Zero Dawn, it was super interesting. So fuck Ted Faro.

I must have missed something, when I went back to the Sun King before the final battle he apologized for confusing Aloy with Ersa... I don't recall that happening at all and I did everything. I must have not paid attention to something.

jdstorm

Banned
When I found out what Faro did to the Alphas I actually said "What a piece of shit" at my TV. I really enjoyed learning about the people who worked on Zero Dawn, it was super interesting. So fuck Ted Faro.

I must have missed something, when I went back to the Sun King before the final battle he apologized for confusing Aloy with Ersa... I don't recall that happening at all and I did everything. I must have not paid attention to something.

He was hitting on Aloy after Ersa died. Aloy rebuffed him and later he apologies for it

Zackat

I'm seriously confused as to how I missed that conversation. I don't remember anything like that.

Yeah I don't remember that either. I just remember him being sad about Ersa. I found the same interaction you did really weird because I didn't get that at all from the prior conversation.

hbkdx12

Yeah I don't remember that either. I just remember him being sad about Ersa. I found the same interaction you did really weird because I didn't get that at all from the prior conversation.
It was pretty subtle. She says something about having to be on her way after wrapping up the ersa mission and he tells her that she's welcome to stay and then you have to make a head/heart/fist decision and I believe the fist decision was something along the lines of I'm not ersa replacement or something. That's how I picked up on it

jdstorm

Banned

He asks Aloy to live at the palace and essentially be replacement Ersa. In previous conversations its strongly implied that the sun king and Ersa were romantically involved.

Zackat

It was pretty subtle. She says something about having to be on her way after wrapping up the ersa mission and he tells her that she's welcome to stay and then you have to make a head/heart/fist decision and I believe the fist decision was something along the lines of I'm not ersa replacement or something. That's how I picked up on it

ah, I remember that. Guessing that was the fist line. I knew he was implying that he liked her, but I didn't choose that option so it was kinda weird.

Xeteh

He asks Aloy to live at the palace and essentially be replacement Ersa. In previous conversations its strongly implied that the sun king and Ersa were romantically involved.

ah, I remember that. Guessing that was the fist line. I knew he was implying that he liked her, but I didn't choose that option so it was kinda weird.

That makes more sense, I almost always picked the compassionate options so that interaction towards the end didn't make much sense to me. Definitely got that he had feelings for Ersa.

Just beat the game. Honestly impressed with the story and how smart everything was built and connected throughout. The world just makes sense and I don't feel like I went through some crazy Kojima trip, which is always a huge plus.

I'm pretty sure Ted is going to have a physical presence in HZD 2 somehow

Wheather Robot, Clone, AI (Hologram I.e) or somehow Human.

You could tell GG wrote this story knowing they be building to a sequal story .

I'm not sold that Sylans will be the main antagonist next game

wapplew

Agree. Lets Sylans remain in grey area is more interesting than full on villain.
The way he rush into the arena to help Aloy is so hype, one of the few great cut scene in the game.

It'll be coll and crazy if we play as Ted Faro clone in Horizon 2.

Elitist1945

At the end when you defeat Hades and Aloy walks onto the cliff with the grass and trees blowing in the wind, that was, I think, the only time I've ever actually said "Holy shit" out loud at a game's graphics. Was seriously impressive. I'd love to see a GIF of it.

I really hope this doesn't happen.

I like the theme of the present dealing with the influences of the past, but don't want the actual past to suddenly be standing side by side with them. I'm much more interested in seeing how the new humans continue to forge their own future.

Would have hoped hades would make a custom body for its self using one of the cauldron and taking over the Gaia sub function for designing monsters.

People! when they talk about the forbidden west they refer to a part of the world we don't get to visit, right? I thought it was the western side the Nora won't go but I think I heard others tribes mentioning the forbidden west so maybe is another part of the world...

I'd like for the sequel to explore more about the other tribes outside the Nora and Carja/Shadow Carja, more about Oseram (although they are pretty present in this game) but specially Banuk and those savage Therak/Terahk or whatever their name were.

Agree. Lets Sylans remain in grey area is more interesting than full on villain.
The way he rush into the arena to help Aloy is so hype, one of the few great cut scene in the game.

It'll be coll and crazy if we play as Ted Faro clone in Horizon 2.

I'm on the same side, I can't see Sylens as a main villain yet, he looks like the Illusive Man version of Horizon. I'm ok with that.
I wouldn't want Hades as a main villain again tho. Bring on the unknown.

Kalentan

Yeah, cloning will for sure probably come more into play eventually. After all, you can listen to the one Alpha who mentions he wrote two laws(?) all about cloning. So at least by 2060, cloning is a thing but seemingly outlawed? I'll try to find the link to where the Alpha talked about it.

Just beat the game:
The whole time until you go to Gaia prime I was thinking Sylans was an AI clone of Apollo... only to find out Apollo was deleted.
I am wondering how he gained the knowledge to build something to capture an AI though. We know he is going to be looking for the ones who woke Hades up. Also do we know if Aloy booted Gaia back up?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Kinda surprised how much missable dialog is in this game.

Can you go back to Rost's grave several times in course of the game to "talk" to him?

Kalentan

Just beat the game:
The whole time until you go to Gaia prime I was thinking Sylans was an AI clone of Apollo... only to find out Apollo was deleted.
I am wondering how he gained the knowledge to build something to capture an AI though. We know he is going to be looking for the ones who woke Hades up. Also do we know if Aloy booted Gaia back up?

Hades was teaching him a lot of stuff. Considering it was Slyens who built the Focus network for the Eclipse, it's not hard to imagine he might know his way around stuff like that.

In regards to Nil, after completing all the bandit camps he wants to duel to the death. I declined to fight him, but what happens if you do duel him? Does it give you an option to show mercy when you win, or are you forced to actually kill him?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved Nil.

I also love Vanesha batter with Utik right before the last battle. She's SO into him and he's so unconfortable haha

I fucking missed that quest. I realized too late when I was fighting the second to last boss and didnt have any manual saves to go back.

I helped Utik survive against the Shadow Carja and took down the priest and rescued the young prince but it didnt give me a quest after that. i guess i had to go back to the Shadow Carja base to trigger the next part?

Playsage

In regards to Nil, after completing all the bandit camps he wants to duel to the death. I declined to fight him, but what happens if you do duel him? Does it give you an option to show mercy when you win, or are you forced to actually kill him?
He presses for a duel to the death and he gets it.
His last words are more or less: "If I'd say I'm cool with this ending it would be a lie. I was confident about winning."

iMax

Who are all the tribespeople and how are they alive? Are they just normal descendants of humanity before the incident or are they from ELEUTHIA?

Top Bottom