• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

GHG said:
Like so?:

cockpitviewwo5.jpg

I agree it will be enough, but PD are perfectionists. They are insisting on modelling the full interior of each car. I don't know why though... Maybe its for replay showcase purposes.

Now that IS nice. Pity it isn't in the demo! :p

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
help! I am trying to log in on the playstation network and i keep getting the error 80710d23. why? I can go online with the ps3 perfectly, but unable to access the playstation store.

Durante

I don't get this "sense of speed" talk. This is GT. GT is a simulator. If you go 80, you go 80 - they can't make you faster than that. They could change the FoV ratio, like some arcade racers do, but that isn't realistic at car speeds.

But I don't really care, I think driving simulators are boring. Bring on Wip5out!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Norse said:
first person view or outside of car? Why have perty cars if you cant have yours on the screen?

First person - and my argument would be the opposite. Why view a racing game from a camera behind and above the car you are driving? Obviously it's personal preference, but the sense of speed is lost in every game from that view (except perhaps Burnout).

Not to mention you get gimped audio driving from the behind the car view and it's definitely more difficult to drive that way. I'm not knocking your preference but the pretty car models sure make for some pretty replays - and surely there will be other cars on the track to look at in the retail game Hopefully they won't always be behind you like previous GT games :D

I actually think the hood view was best in GT4, I was disappointed to see it not being an option here. Most in-car views show too much of the interior on screen, one of the good things about Test Drive was that it let you adjust your position within the cockpit to allow more windshield on the screen, I hope GT5 has this option if they do interiors. Hood view is basically just as good though I think.

neojubei

wow what is the fracking point of having a 60g with wi-fi if it does not work with the online store. I had to move my entire modem and router to hook up to the ps3 to log in to the playstation store. I'm beginning to hate playstation now.

finally downloading the GTHD demo.

KTallguy

Banned
neojubei said:
wow what is the fracking point of having a 60g with wi-fi if it does not work with the online store. I had to move my entire modem and router to hook up to the ps3 to log in to the playstation store. I'm beginning to hate playstation now.

finally downloading the GTHD demo.

Check your router settings. You probably have some security stuff clicked on that the PS3 can't interface with. I've had lots of problems with routers in the past.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Well my PS3 downstairs can't even get a signal past 15% with my router/modem upstairs while my PSP can get 75% next to the PS3. WTF. Do I need some sort of repeater because moving the router and modem downstairs is not an option.

neojubei

i took off all the security stuff and it still didn't work. Before i had an old linksys with wireless-b only connection and it kept loggin out of store. then today went to best buy and bought a d-ink wireless b and g and now wont connect to the store wirelessly. funny i had a d-link router (old model) back at my old apartment and the ps3 can connect to it flawlessly. Weird thing is, i cannot connect to the playstation store wireless but i can still go online with the ps3.

Defensor said:
Well my PS3 downstairs can't even get a signal past 15% with my router/modem upstairs while my PSP can get 75% next to the PS3. WTF. Do I need some sort of repeater because moving the router and modem downstairs is not an option.

what is the model of the router and maker of it?

I think the ps3 hates wireless-b only routers.

J-Rzez

SHARKS BITE KILL SHARKS said:
slooooow.

No... Reeeeeeeeeeal... and gtfo...

This game has surely brewed some strong hate amongst the ranks... It's strange how people feel fear over games that appear on other consoles...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bebpo said:
Then I tried RR7 which some people said had rumble w/GT wheel and that's BS. What happens is the controller lockups tight like it's using true force feedback but then it never loosens and never reacts to anything on the track so it's just a super tight hard to turn wheel the entire time. There's no feedback according to your movement or the track and there definitely is ZERO rumble.
Bebpo..... I what on God's green E-A-R-T-H are you talking about??????

Although I don't own a PS3 yet, I have done VERY EXTENSIVE research on this issue and I can tell you right here and NOW....several....and I mean S-E-V-E-R-A-L people I've talked to have confirmed.......C-O-N-F-I-R-M-E-D that RR7 works with the Logitech DFP and GT wheels. Yes, YES I am aware the game doesn't have TRUE force feedback but according to these people it DOES have rumble!!!!!!!!!!! I made SURE to ask each one of them twice and they all confirmed that the wheels do vibrate and shake upon colliding with certain objects like walls and cars(again, I am only speaking about RR7 here).

Bebpo I would D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E-L-Y like to know which wheel you have! I am utterly convinced that if you are not getting at least some kind of rumble with RR7 then your wheel definitely is broken or has PCB issues.

Please double check your wheel and get back to me, because you're the first person to say RR7 doesn't make the wheel rumble at ALL.

Beatbox

isamu said:
Bebpo..... I what on God's green E-A-R-T-H are you talking about??????

Although I don't own a PS3 yet, I have done VERY EXTENSIVE research on this issue and I can tell you right here and NOW....several....and I mean S-E-V-E-R-A-L people I've talked to have confirmed.......C-O-N-F-I-R-M-E-D that RR7 works with the Logitech DFP and GT wheels. Yes, YES I am aware the game doesn't have TRUE force feedback but according to these people it DOES have rumble!!!!!!!!!!! I made SURE to ask each one of them twice and they all confirmed that the wheels do vibrate and shake upon colliding with certain objects like walls and cars(again, I am only speaking about RR7 here).

Bebpo I would D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E-L-Y like to know which wheel you have! I am utterly convinced that if you are not getting at least some kind of rumble with RR7 then your wheel definitely is broken or has PCB issues.

Please double check your wheel and get back to me, because you're the first person to say RR7 doesn't make the wheel rumble at ALL.

Does the Driving Force rumble or not? If so I can test it as well with RR7 - I have it out since I tested it with GTHD to confirm the lack of FF.

Norse

Beatbox said:
First person - and my argument would be the opposite. Why view a racing game from a camera behind and above the car you are driving? Obviously it's personal preference, but the sense of speed is lost in every game from that view (except perhaps Burnout).

Not to mention you get gimped audio driving from the behind the car view and it's definitely more difficult to drive that way. I'm not knocking your preference but the pretty car models sure make for some pretty replays - and surely there will be other cars on the track to look at in the retail game Hopefully they won't always be behind you like previous GT games :D

I prefer inside the car view...but this doesnt have it yet..I hate racing from the front bumper..always have for some reason.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is it me or did this demo take all the focus off of motorstorm for the time being. I mean I'm really pumped for motorstorm, but I havent even thought about it since I started playing this. I guess it's because motorstorm is still a couple months away, but I can't help but think GTHD Concept has taken over my brain. All I can think about are faster track times and how to improve my drifting.

Beatbox said:

When done right, the audio shouldn't be gimped. In car noise of course will not be heard but the exhaust noise will be the better for it.

In general, with a controller I find it more easy to drive with the chase cam (because of the tight camera not so much in GT4). It is easier to see corners and the figure out the relative position of the car. The shifting of weight is also more easily detected with the external camera.

I'm sure that this will be the opposite when driving with a wheel instead of a controller.

Beatbox

PjotrStroganov said:
When done right, the audio shouldn't be gimped. In car noise of course will not be heard but the exhaust noise will be the better for it.

In general, with a controller I find it more easy to drive with the chase cam (because of the tight camera not so much in GT4). It is easier to see corners and the figure out the relative position of the car. The shifting of weight is also more easily detected with the external camera.

I'm sure that this will be the opposite when driving with a wheel instead of a controller.

I would call the audio done right here. A true feeling of immersion when inside the car - great use of the rear channels. "Gimped" in the sense that you lose immersion in the audio when playing from a camera behind the car - and the engine noise, road noise and effects are attenuated to reflect the view.

That's why some video games are great - customizeable choices :) I disagree with the exterior view being easier - I have never been able to get the hang of it (in any racing game) and I lose complete feel of the car/road connection. The squeel of the tires, angle of the car, and the drivetrain/weight/tire choice/engine placement all help me feel the road much better.

I don't use the wheel since it's dead weight in this demo and it makes annoying noises without the FF - just saying that in case you thought I was using one :)

John_B

Kangu said:
I'm with jett on this one. It's time for GT to evolve. The actual gameplay differences between GT1 and GT4 are so small it's embarassing. If we get 6 car racing with no damage and no weather and no significant improvements again, I'm calling for Kaz to get fired.
You are not a fan, please do not buy this game. Kaz and the rest of his crew is delivering exactly what the fans wants. F*** the gimmicks, we don't want them. We just want the cars, and we want to race them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Isamu - i will try the wheel again, but what Bebpo is saying is almost the same as what happened to me...

you can play the game but the wheel basically just locks in and is stiff making the game very very difficult to play :(. You can certainly play , but it's not very easy to do so. Now , i only tried this once so not sure whether it was a one of glitch or how it is all the time, but will confirm either tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry man.

Also - isn't improved car physics seen as an advancement? GTHD feels very very nice.

Me personally - i really don't care about having 20+ cars on a track in GT - i'd rather get insanely detailed physics, crashes, and a VERY important REQUIRED enhancement : Improved driver AI. Kaz - get the Top Gear guys or something to help with the AI ! :)

p.s. demanding improvements is exactly what a true fan should do
p.p.s demanding someone be fired if they don't do what you say is incredibly stupid! ;)

Beatbox

DCharlie said:
i'd rather get insanely detailed physics, crashes, and a VERY important REQUIRED enhancement : Improved driver AI. Kaz - get the Top Gear guys or something to help with the AI ! :)

;)

Yes! I wanna race against a bunch of "Stig" clones.

I'm having a blast trying to beat my own times and others and hope this type of system is here to stay in the GT series. They should have an "all time" leaderboard and then a weekly one granted they are able to weed out the glitched high scores.

EDIT - Isamu, I tested the Driving Force with RR7 and it does stiffen up (unlike GTHD) in the centered position - no feedback from the road or turns - for instance if you hit an object on the left side of your car it does push the wheel to the right a bit for each bump. I wouldn't call it unplayable by any means as it feels a lot better than having no resistance.

DCharlie

Yes! I wanna race against a bunch of "Stig" clones.

I'm having a blast trying to beat my own times and others and hope this type of system is here to stay in the GT series. They should have an "all time" leaderboard and then a weekly one granted they are able to weed out the glitched high scores.

seriously - i know there are a couple of lurkers here with links to Polyphony - surely this is a doable thing? I mean - GT is massive in Europe where Top Gear is very well known. Top Gear have covered GT more than once, so how about that as a link up? Seriously - with serious driving AI this just takes things a step futher.

Actually, doesn't even have to be a full AI modelling thing - just get Top Gear guys (or pro racers) to do a few laps on a certain track, then upload thier ghost for a challenge race.

"Clarkson 4wd ghost for Alpine Resort #4 now available!"

For driving enthusiasts surely this is something incredibly interesting and the cash required to add this as a "Your Driving Life" extra is minimal - all you need is to record the ghost of these people - that's it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Is it me or did this demo take all the focus off of motorstorm for the time being. I mean I'm really pumped for motorstorm, but I havent even thought about it since I started playing this. I guess it's because motorstorm is still a couple months away, but I can't help but think GTHD Concept has taken over my brain. All I can think about are faster track times and how to improve my drifting.

I was playing my import when the GTHD demo hit and I basically stopped playing after I downloaded the demo and started playing the demo the whole night last night and then this morning. I'm back to playing Motorstorm though, because it's schweet. ~_~

Haunted

We need a screenshot-only thread with the best pictures from this one, really. Everyone should see just how amazing this concept really looks. I'm just floored by the realism some of these pictures capture.

Haunted_One said:
We need a screenshot-only thread with the best pictures from this one, really. Everyone should see just how amazing this concept really looks. I'm just floored by the realism some of these pictures capture.

I completely agree :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
neojubei said:
try connecting the router directly to the ps3.
Well I'm already doing that with my 360. Just with the PS3 being wireless and all, its a shame that I can't take advantage of that with my wireless B router. I've been looking into upgrading to a G 'n beyond but not at this time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DCharlie said:
Isamu - i will try the wheel again, but what Bebpo is saying is almost the same as what happened to me...

you can play the game but the wheel basically just locks in and is stiff making the game very very difficult to play :(. You can certainly play , but it's not very easy to do so. Now , i only tried this once so not sure whether it was a one of glitch or how it is all the time, but will confirm either tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry man.

Thanks for the reply Charlie and Beatbux. Y'know, I am starting to wonder if previous PS3 firmwares are different from the current ones, and if there were any changes when upgrading to the current firmware. When I first read other people's comments regarding how the wheel behaves during play with RR7, it was before the latest firmware came out. Here are a few replies I've gotten from a few different users....

Yes, it returns to center ... if I let go of the wheel, it smoothly and slowly returns, not very forceful or fast, but good enough for an "arcade racer" type of game ---- you know that you're not playing with a handheld 'controller'. it is more of a 'fun' type of FFB ..... but RR doesn't have rumble strips [demo]

Its very very basic rumble, as in when you hit a wall or land from a jump. I mean you can feel the wheel shake but nothing that you would lose control over. You have to turn the wheel fairly sharply to get the car to drift and it is very easy to overcompensate and sometimes difficult to get back in control. But it starts to get better after you have a few races under your belt.

Alright, I guess that is true. I did notice a few bumps in the road, BUT when I bumped a cars rear (my front to his rear) experienced no resultant feedback. As for the tension, I also agree. It seems standard BUT its an arcade styled game, I personally wouldn't expect the realism of say a "Gran Turismo" out of the wheel.

Virtual tension yes, centering maybe out of the turn, BUT not automatically.

It definitely doesn't feel cheap, hell, I'm excited to feel anything happen on the wheel. I was concerned they would abandon the whole concept of feedback on PS3 games. Not so thus far... ;)

Well RR7 doesn't really require a whole lot of turning, BUT lets just say, I had plenty of room to spin the wheel with no lock up.

Deadzone is pretty standard, nothing too glaringly good or bad. Just right IMO.

Tried it out this past Saturday and was happy to find out that it works! But yes there's feedback and rumble. It's great to have rumble because it's sorely missed. The feedback is not as great as that of GT but it's better than nothing!

Hmm it's been a while since i've played Daytona in the arcade or a racer in the arcade. I heard a guy named DCharlie plays Daytona USA quite a lot in the arcade, and that the game was developed by a guy name Jonnyram. Anyway, I'd say that the Wheel on Ridge Racer feels pretty solid but maybe a little on the tight/heavy side when compared to the arcade racers.

Would you agree with these comments Charlie and Femto?

DCharlie

Hmm it's been a while since i've played Daytona in the arcade or a racer in the arcade. I heard a guy named DCharlie plays Daytona USA quite a lot in the arcade, and that the game was developed by a guy name Jonnyram. Anyway, I'd say that the Wheel on Ridge Racer feels pretty solid but maybe a little on the tight/heavy side when compared to the arcade racers.

who put what in the what now!?

Where does this come from?

Jonnyram

Whoever told you that needs to get their facts right. It was Cruis'n USA, not Daytona USA. Thanks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mr. Pointy said:
It's over, the real world is finished.

:lol The shitty lighting and the off-tv quality on those shots just amps it up even further. Just unbelievable.

I've done enough splooging over this game though. I can only say, "Well, that about wraps it up for other racers," so many times. It just does.

I get the impression that Sony are paying car manufacturers for their CAD data. I wouldn't have a clue how PD would be able to make ~150-700 cars with such high quality by 2008 or so.

lunlunqq

Kittonwy said:
How come it's in chinese, did you download that from the HK store? Nice pic btw. OMG TEH PHOTOREALISM. ~_~

yup, that's the HK version. as mentioned in my post, I got those pics from a chinese game board.

Klocker

Y2Kevbug11 said:
:lol The shitty lighting and the off-tv quality on those shots just amps it up even further. Just unbelievable.

I've done enough splooging over this game though. I can only say, "Well, that about wraps it up for other racers," so many times. It just does.

not saying at all that this demo doesn't look sweet.... it does!

but before we talk about it like above, we need to see how this holds up with 12 cars on screen with AI.

I'm just sayin' :) , not hating because it looks unbelievably real... just show me in RACING mode with a lot more going on before I declare it the winner above all. ;)

In fact I'm still more excited for Motorstorm until I see if GT5 can translate to showing those visuals 10-12 times over.

Yoboman

Mr. Pointy said:
I get the impression that Sony are paying car manufacturers for their CAD data. I wouldn't have a clue how PD would be able to make ~150-700 cars with such high quality by 2008 or so.
It definately won't have 700 cars. About 250 give or take I'd wager

Pistolero

Kangu said:
If there's one thing I've learned after anticipating and playing 4 GT games it's that Kaz says a lot of things.

And if he can't advance the gameplay in the 5th iteration he should definitely step down, passionate about cars or not because his priorities are out of whack.

The fifth one will obviously include damage...That's a silly apprehension.

Dragona is not impressed.

Also, 630 MB... gonna be a bitch to download this on HughesNet. Is there a resume option if I say, cut the system off, then tried to download more at a later time?

Top Bottom