• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Detached/dual Joy-cons" style of play has really blown my mind

JJShadow

So I got my neon Switch + Zelda and Mario Kart 8 last Friday, and yeah, after playing tons of hours this weekend I’m loving this little machine so far. The system is slick and elegant, and the possibility of having games of the scope/quality of Zelda and Mario Kart on the go is something incredible… however, I have to say that so far, the feature that has really blown my mind is how convenient and comfortable is to play using detached/dual Joy-cons.

I usually have problems when playing handhelds for long sessions: my hands start to go numb and I have to take a break. This also happened to me when playing Zelda; however, I decided to give a try to the detached Joy-cons and holy fuck, now I can’t go back to any other way of playing. They are so light and slick that it feels completely “natural” to hold them in your hands, and that freedom of movement is a god-sent.

I understand that it may not be really comfy for people with big hands, but for me it’s just perfect

What about your experience?

Oni Jazar

I've been meaning to post this exact thread.

I really love playing Zelda that way. Really think having to keep your hands together all the time is antiquated and should be done away with.

Also felt that way with Wii controlls and PS move controls

Honestly I prefer playing this way now, even more so than the comfortable pro controller I bought. They feel great in your hands and you really get to feel the hd rumble the way it seems to be intended. Mario Kart 8 really shows it off well.

Also I have rather large hands and they are still comfy! Can't wait for them to release more special colors, going to buy another set when they do.

RowdyReverb

I was just playing MK8D in the detached style and it was remarkably comfortable. I could just sit back and rest my hands in my lap instead of the typical elbows-on-knees hunched over pose.

Seik

Banned
I actually laughed while Koizumi showed the 'relaxed' way of playing during the Switch's presentation because I thought it was too much.

Turns out that's the way I'm playing the most, even while I have a Pro Controller.

Honestly I prefer playing this way now, even more so than the comfortable pro controller I bought. They feel great in your hands and you really get to feel the hd rumble the way it seems to be intended. Mario Kart 8 really shows it off well.

Also I have rather large hands and they are still comfy! Can't wait for them to release more special colors, going to buy another set when they do.

This. HD Rumble is far easier to appreciate with detached JoyCons,, though I think Fast does it better than Mario Kart.

Social

I LOVED it on the Wii but I cannot get used to it on Switch. I think it has to do with the placement of buttons/stick and how having buttons on both sides confuses my brain. Even though they function as a d-pad. my brain still acts like they are buttons. Was a big hurdle in the beginning when playing Zelda.

I might get used to it, will try some more later.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's how I've been spending 99% of my time with the Switch. Loved this freeform setup on the Wii, and it's even better now that the two controllers aren't tethered to each other. The only issue is that this setup amplifies the desync issues.

RowdyReverb

Also nice to recline with a blanket over yourself with your hands at your sides. Will be a nice feature next winter
Didn't have a Wii?
The fact that the Joycons are wireless makes a significant difference though. Plus you generally never have to waggle the controller or use the pointer, so you can really lounge while you're holding the controllers

Reading the posts here, I realise one of the big things with the separate joycons style is that it completely breaks the hunched over style that we're kinda used to with consoles and the usage of controllers for PC games. You can have your arms in whatever position you want, rather than brought together around a single point towards your waist that will naturally lead you to bend over slightly.

That's... neat.

trixx

Dual joycons is like Wii remote and nunchuck but not as comfortable. The good thing is that it is much lighter

Jessensor

Yup, also converted to this set up. It is an absolute game changer. I especially enjoy ebracing the tilt control aiming, drawing my invisible bow and arrow when taking out Bokoblins.

I also really enjoyed the gyro shrines with split joy cons, as you can focus on tilting just the one joy con. Feels more tactile with what you are doing in the game.

Are there any good recommendations for a 3rd party split controller for other consoles (specifically xbone)?

Fliesen

When playing in bed, i prefer the "lay on stomach, rest tablet against headboard, play with joycons" setup.

I can imagine that this input method only works well for people whose hands are at or below average size, though.

When playing on the TV, i do use the grip, though. - makes the right analogue stick more comfortable to use.

spekkeh

Banned
It's weird, because as someone who thinks the Wiimote-Nunchuck combination is genuinely one of the best controllers ever made, I don't have this sense with the detached joycons. The right joystick is difficult to reach over dual handed, they're just a tiny bit too small for even my Trump hands, the metal part cuts into your flesh a bit too much. It's better with the joycon bars, but sadly the R and L buttons are too squishy.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I prefer it to the Pro, for the reasons mentioned here and for the shorter analog sticks, it fits better with my thumbs.

Owensboro

I'm actually having a slightly hard time getting used to playing this way, but it's mostly because I have wrist problems. I'm guessing that having a solid controller to anchor my hands to doesn't cause any wrist issues because it keeps my wrists at specific, locked angles. When I trying playing with the Joy-Cons split I always subconsciously end up in these positions where my wrists start hurting and I have no idea why or how. I'm hoping it's just a "get used to it" thing and I'll stop going to those uncomfortable positions, but for the time being it's really frustrating. So, this is going to be a weird question, but how is everyone ending up with their hands positioned while playing split?

Also, I can't feel HD Rumble to any really noticeable degree and it's depressing. I see all the posts here of people saying it's really cool when it works, but thus far I've only ever noticed the take-offs in Mario Kart rumble a little harder. I'd say I might need to just sit down and really focus on how it feels, but I'd much rather just play whatever game I've got a spare minute for :)

Manac0r

My other half calls it the lazy ass mode - lay flat in bed with a nice pillow for support, Switch is balanced on chest and arms to the side with detached joycons. Now simple stare at the screen and move those fingers.

Next: Dorito and Mountain Dew dispenser.

AGoodODST

I agree OP. I'm actually playing Mario Kart that way right now and it is awesome. Plus it really lets you feel dat HD Rumble.

Agree OP and yeah, I need to start playing this way more often. Need a stand first as yeah, one built-into the system don't work for taller people (angle doesn't work for me at least) and is trash anyway

KHlover

Banned
I don't feel like I have big hands (17cm from wrist to the tip of my middle finger and 9.5cm at the broadest point), but it's still really uncomfortable to me. Worlds apart from the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo.

Rodin

It's how i play docked when I don't use the pro controller, and it will be even better than that for certain games. It's much superior to the grip either way.

But i'm happy that Nintendo did exactly what i wanted in terms of controllers: a classic one and an evolution of wiimote+nunchuk with two analog sticks and better motion/rumble.

Fliesen

Good luck keeping the Joycon in sync when blocked by a blanket!

(I know this probably wouldn't be an issue for fixed ones.)

what kind of blankets do you own? Non conductive materials should create close to zero interference with the Joyon's wireless signal.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
what kind of blankets do you own? Non conductive materials should create close to zero interference with the Joyon's wireless signal.

1 meter from the Switch, my leg being slightly in the way regularly causes the analog stick to stop responding. It's utter shit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I think hd rumble just mimics a speaker.. it feels like it tries to mimic sound in mario kart 8

I really don't like it at all. My hands still tend to sit together in my lap, but because there's no plastic connecting the two pieces my knuckles touch. I find traditional controllers much more comfortable.

It's by far the best control scheme I've ever used. I used the grip on day one for about 5 minutes and haven't touched it since.

jotun?

It would be good for games that don't use all the functions. The small size makes it so there's no position I can have it in my hand where I can use the stick, face buttons, and shoulder buttons comfortably at the same time. I can do any combination of two of them, but not all three

meppi

Good luck keeping the Joycon in sync when blocked by a blanket!

(I know this probably wouldn't be an issue for fixed ones.)

Yeah that's my problem.

I'm waiting for the neon yellow ones to come out so I can buy a new set while I send my other of to Nintendo.

Mexen

FIFA Pentalty Kicks changed forever. No more hiding the controller under your shirt and press the 'pass' button.

Sapiens

I love stretching my arms across the back of the couch. Makes me feel very relaxed and orangutang-like.

Primate_Ryan

Neo Member
It's the only way I play on my Switch. Never even tried the grip. Ordered a Pro a couple of weeks ago for co-op, and when I tried it out it just felt strange in my hands after all these hours with the split con setup.

Also have developed the habit of spinning the Joycon around in my hands during downtime (loading times etc.)

Monumma

1 meter from the Switch, my leg being slightly in the way regularly causes the analog stick to stop responding. It's utter shit.

Your leg is made of water, your blanket shouldn't be.

The desync problem is very real and people experiencing it should send their joycon to nintendo.

Split play is the best. I was kind of hoping for accessories built around making this mode even better, just as there are accessories for making single Joy-Con play better. However, it's been pointed out to me that the AA battery accessory is essentially that, if you ignore the battery aspect altogether. Gives them a bulkier grip and the larger SL/SR buttons.

When playing in bed, i prefer the "lay on stomach, rest tablet against headboard, play with joycons" setup.

I can imagine that this input method only works well for people whose hands are at or below average size, though.

When playing on the TV, i do use the grip, though. - makes the right analogue stick more comfortable to use.

I do the exact same thing when playing in bed!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

I do the same as it makes less noise for my wife to have buttons pressed under my duvet :p

Top Bottom