• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Detached/dual Joy-cons" style of play has really blown my mind

during the Wii era, playing using the Wii remote and nunchuk, laying on the couch was just perfect. Super lazy and comfortable

I just love not having to have my hands forced forwards together or in my lap, I can dangle my arms as much as I want with those controllers. I didn't realise how much I missed having my hands not being forced together with a 10cm gap.

FdEahlg.jpg

God mode

MazeHaze

Banned
Always hated it on wii, hate it just as much now. Keep seeing threads/posts about how great it is so I gave it another shot. Nope, feels really weird and uncomfortable to me.

Oni Jazar

Always hated it on wii, hate it just as much now. Keep seeing threads/posts about how great it is so I gave it another shot. Nope, feels really weird and uncomfortable to me.

Why should your hands be tethered together so closely in a normal controller? They never cross over. Your right hand never reaches for the left bumpers/triggers/buttons/stick and vice versa. Keeping them close is only for logistical reasons not ergonomic. Giving your hands the freedom to be wherever you want makes a ton of sense.

ASIS

This thread brings a tear to my eye.

Split controller should be a standard in all platforms. It's that good.

FinalAres

I've been saying for years, the only thing stopping the Wii being the perfect controller was it's non standard control scheme. Separated hands is such a cool way to play :)

pswii60

The joycons are just too small for me and don't feel economic at all. But I do use them detached but only because I can't be arsed fitting them to the joycon holder thingy.

RootCause

I kinda feel the same. It just doesn't feel right. I guess I could get used to it if I spend more time with it. There's also having to prop your system, and having it further away from your face, which makes the screen look smaller inbportable mode.

blackflag

I got the switch day 1 and never took the joycons off after I put them on initially. I had no idea those 2 buttons were there on the part that connects until Saturday when I took it to my parents house and my son and his cousin wanted to play MK8 against each other. It was pretty cool

wanders

I was waving my arms jumping up and down yelling at my TV playing against my friend in Mario kart while he was playing on his own switch

Yeah dual joystick play is amazing

Derphoof

I loved this while playing Splatoon as well.

Using the right joy-con as a pointer, and the left joy-con to move was amazing. Felt like Nintendo's version of a mouse+keyboard set up.

I won't play Splatoon 2 any other way.

So happy I can play like that again. I really appreciate all the different controller options, but my favourite still has to be the detached Joy-Cons. Everything that made it great on the Wii was improved upon and HD rumble is really noticeable, particularly playing detached. It's amazing for MK 8 Deluxe.

feel

Too tiny and uncomfortable for me to hit all the buttons/sticks/bumpers.

Pro controller is just in another league of comfort and ease of use.

I only play with detached joycons. Feels so comfortable to me.

I really want a way to use them like that for PC games... Unfortunately they register as two separate controllers. I wish someone would homebrew custom drivers or something to make them work as one.

Yes. That's my exact setup currently. lol

Be amazed

That's exactly how I play too, using the same product. I want to play everything like this now. Wish Switch could stream PC games :p

I've been looking for "portable 1080p screens" that I could possibly use with a similar holder to play PC games like that...

I bought a Pro controller, I have man hands :(

I want to like the Joycon but a single one is literally small enough to conceal in my palm.

Waji

I already knew it was the best way to play last year while watching the very first commercial
(easy it was already interesting on the Wii)
You finally saw the light. Welcome.

If I'm not playing in handheld, it's dual joy-cons 100% of the time.
Grip ? "Pro" ? Ha ha... jokes.

All we might need, is a Joy-con with a D-pad for people who really need it.

Kuro

What I really want to know is how small are peoples' hands/fingers that actually find the joycon comfortable. It feels like I'm using a DS lite but worse in some ways. Tiny buttons.

I only play with detached joycons. Feels so comfortable to me.

I really want a way to use them like that for PC games... Unfortunately they register as two separate controllers. I wish someone would homebrew custom drivers or something to make them work as one.

That's exactly how I play too, using the same product. I want to play everything like this now. Wish Switch could stream PC games :p

I've been looking for "portable 1080p screens" that I could possibly use with a similar holder to play PC games like that...
3kthX.jpg

Kibbles

I mostly played Zelda this way. The plastic piece is trash when you can just hold them in your hand much more comfortably.

SomTervo

When playing in bed, i prefer the "lay on stomach, rest tablet against headboard, play with joycons" setup.

I can imagine that this input method only works well for people whose hands are at or below average size, though.

When playing on the TV, i do use the grip, though. - makes the right analogue stick more comfortable to use.

I lie on my side with the tablet on my bed side table, JoyCon in each hand. Looking at the screen side ways... But it works!

MazeHaze

Banned
Why should your hands be tethered together so closely in a normal controller? They never cross over. Your right hand never reaches for the left bumpers/triggers/buttons/stick and vice versa. Keeping them close is only for logistical reasons not ergonomic. Giving your hands the freedom to be wherever you want makes a ton of sense.

I just think a regular controller feels way way way waaaaay better and having them separate feels jarring to me, and instead of my hands working together it feels like theyre isolated from eachother when I play split.

SomTervo

I just think a regular controller feels way way way waaaaay better and having them separate feels jarring to me, and instead of my hands working together it feels like theyre isolated from eachother when I play split.

Sounds like you got a mental block! To be separate feels liberating and my hands feel just as in concert.

I lol'ed.

But seriously there's gotta be some small USB powered screens with HDMI input out there... Basically an iPad (or a Switch) but without all the unnecessary guts. I actually saw a couple of Amazon after a quick search, but I think only one was 1080p and I expected there would be more options to choose from.

.J.

Banned

For me, it's a stability thing. So, for instance, if I'm going to reach for the analog trigger with my right hand, I can release my grip ever so slightly while things stay stable because my left hand is still holding the controller.

With two hands, I notice a slightness and an instability in each joy con. So you kind of feel the joy con rolling slightly in your hand or something.

Not a big deal--I've enjoyed dual wielding for several games on Switch, and I never hated it on Wii or anything, but I can see why someone might find it to be uncomfortable.

Intru

I like it for some games - ones where you don't need to use the right stick, or the d-pad.

But games where you need to use both the right stick and a-b-x-y I vastly prefer the pro controller. It's just too cramped.

Its interesting that the middle section of controller seems to be one with the most changes lately.

The usual dpad and analog stick are in the usual places, but the middle section is subject to more change.

I like the idea of a touchpad, though Sony's isn't quite there (it's actually not bad when you hook it up to PC)

Some higher end controllers have buttons on the back for more control options.

And it seems you can seperate them entirely.
It's actually not a bad idea, especially since you can combine them into a conventional controller anyways if you want to.

There's arguement that this is currently the ultimate controller in terms of versatility.

Alchemy

I like it, I think its great for accessibility stuff and I'm hoping we see some games embrace single joycon one handed use options for people with limited use of their hands. Right now my left arm is in some pain so being able to just have it out to the side with a single joycon makes playing games much more comfortable right now while it heals.

I love them l, but I definitely need to have the grips on when I play. Trying to press the shoulder buttons while playing Mario Kart feels awkward, like I'm clawing at them. Other than that, they are definitely awesome.

Bakercat

I love playing games like the Binding of Isaac like this. However, I tend to run into the problem of desyncing when playing like this.

Newline

I've got rather large hands and I think this style of play is amazing as long as I have my joycon straps attached. My grip completely covers the joy cons so its kind of like the outside bottom of them (the very curved side) are settled right into the palm of each hand. I usually use the ball of my right thumb to control the right thumbstick but then move my whole thumb down for more precise movement. It works really well, it's something i've greatly missed since the Wii days.

Also the joycon charging strap should help a load with this.

Wagram

I'm pretty much done with Nintendo and their new gimmicks for controllers. I'll just spend the money on the Pro and leave it at that.

Crayon

I had to get used to it for several hours because they are so tiny it took awhile to get a comfortable grip. Worth it tho. Only way to fly. I can lay there like a lout and play my games.

Yeah OP, this is quite the revelation to me. I never owned a Wii and I just got my Switch 3 days ago. I was going to buy a pro controller but Nintendo can suck it with that $70 price tag. I never even attached the the joycons to the grip, I just went head in with em split. I have never been so comfortable gaming. Nintendo made such an awesome console this time. I can't wait to get out of work so I can get another Zelda session going :D

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I had this realization back in the Wii days, but the Switch takes it one step further by not having a cable connecting the two Joycons. It's the best way to play videogames.

mindsale

I like the detached JoyCons, but when I play MarioKart with my girlfriend literally ten feet from the machine, the JoyCons are constantly losing connectivity. It kills the fun.

No such problems with the Pro Controllers.

Top Bottom