• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Detached/dual Joy-cons" style of play has really blown my mind

Since I got it about 1+month ago I still havent played with the joycons out. Even the dock is still in the box. I did get this switch to play portable mode though. But I might try it... Im a little afraid that I'll have the disconnect issue though.

Yep, after a couple of MP sessions of 12 Switch and MK8, Nintendo nailed it with this one. I'm tempted to get another set of joycons but I'm gonna wait for more color options.

Single player wise, pro controller is still the best. But during the time I was waiting for my controller, playing with the joy cons detached was pretty comforting, maybe too comforting.

So yeah I really love how many options we have with this one, it's a total 180 from Wii U.

Since I got it about 1+month ago I still havent played with the joycons out. Even the dock is still in the box. I did get this switch to play portable mode though. But I might try it... Im a little afraid that I'll have the disconnect issue though.

I was having the left joyconn disconnect issue a lot and I just got my switch a few days ago. I was getting pretty upset that Nintendo would sell a product like this so I looked up the desync issue and it was suggested not to have the Switch behind the TV. I moved the console to the front and the issue disappeared. It seems like this is no longer a thing with the newer batch of Switches.

kunonabi

Yep, after a couple of MP sessions of 12 Switch and MK8, Nintendo nailed it with this one. I'm tempted to get another set of joycons but I'm gonna wait for more color options.

Single player wise, pro controller is still the best. But during the time I was waiting for my controller, playing with the joy cons detached was pretty comforting, maybe too comforting.

So yeah I really love how many options we have with this one, it's a total 180 from Wii U.

Wii u had plenty of options too and everyone bitched about it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I like the detached JoyCons, but when I play MarioKart with my girlfriend literally ten feet from the machine, the JoyCons are constantly losing connectivity. It kills the fun.

No such problems with the Pro Controllers.
If your losing connectivity then send them in to nintendo

Jumeira

Banned
I think this is a decent fallback method of play but absolutely not one id recommend. I just rage quit Zelda as the miniscule triggers and stick are hard to use, especially coming off of the Pro Controller. I don't like it, it's too small.

I think this is a decent fallback method of play but absolutely not one id recommend. I just rage quit Zelda as the miniscule triggers and stick are hard to use, especially coming off of the Pro Controller. I don't like it, it's too small.

36568_39f03e1d_148241890830_640_333.jpg

We get it.

jk

Alienfan

Going to have to disagree with "natural" and "comfortable", the controllers are tiny, the red /right joy con is basically the "third party controller" whenever you play split screen, the bumper cover you slide onto them isn't very elegant (it's very easy to slide them on the wrong way and they're a pain in the ass to take off), and the digital triggers are a baffling choice in 2017. I'm still glad they exist because it's a acceptable on the go solution, I just wish the Pro controller was a pack in or at least not more expensive that an Xbox one or PS4 controller

Split design is best and most comfortable design. A lot of us have been saying this since the Wii, every new gamepad that is not split design seems archaic.

rekameohs

Banned
I loved it with Wiimote+Nunchuk, but the Pro Controller's just too damn comfortable to not play it that way now when docked.

Cathcart

Pretty great if you've got wrist problems. I was thinking about getting Disgaea 5 for the PS4 but the detached controllers make the Switch my primary console now.

Those of you saying it reminds you of the Wii are Johnny-come-latelies, I was playing shooters on the N64 like this and loving it ;)

kvothe232

I play this way also, I love it. My hands get extremely sweaty while using the joy-con grip controller, it's far more relaxing and free using them in comfort mode (separated).

I love them too. I can get into incredibly comfortable/lazy positions, like with my arms crossed. Surprisingly that doesn't confuse my brain with controllers on opposite sides.

forrest

formerly nacire
If Nintendo chose to release larger, more ergonomic joycons that weren't hindered in design by multipurpose functionality then I might be inclined to agree. I do like split controller gaming, but with the current state of the joycon it's no contest to the pro controller. I mean at this point, I actually don't like trying to play in portable or with the joycons in tabletop. It's either docked with pro or tabletop with pro.

For those saying, it's great we all have options, I definitely agree. It's just a shame that one option costs $80 dollars to get what many consider an adequate solution.

I love the system, I love the games, but I just cannot love the compromises made to the default pack in controllers.

I'm actually trying to find an additional product to purchase that will let me mount the Switch to the pro controller for a more comfortable/ergonomic solution when playing on the go and tabletop mode isn't an option. I've seen a few 3d printed solutions and there is Utorcase which is supposed to have something coming soon.

Anyhow, I'm glad some of you are enjoying the joycons so much, I just wish I was one of you.
LLShC.gif

ChuyMasta

I have huge hands and there is some discomfort for me playing with the separated joysticks. They feel so fragile, specially the trigger/shoulder buttons. I did love playing with the Wii nunchuck and wiimote spread out though.

The procontroller is godsend for me.

cakely

So I tried this with BotW and I generally like it. It's very relaxing.

It does require me to hold the joycons with my index fingers on the z triggers and to use my middle fingers to support the joycons.

With most other controllers (360, DS3, XBO, DS4) I keep middle fingers on the triggers and index on the shoulder buttons.
Yes, I know this isn't normal, there was another thread about it.

One more question: how do people execute a running jump in BotW? Holding "B" and then pressing "X" to jump seems incredibly awkward.

One more question: how do people execute a running jump in BotW? Holding "B" and then pressing "X" to jump seems incredibly awkward.

I switch to a claw grip on the Pro temporarily. Slightly annoying.

With the joycon I'd probably throw the controller. Any one of my fingertips is large enough to fully depress all four buttons at once.

1morerobot

Loved it on Wii. If (when) I get a Switch someday, I'll definitely be playing like this. Although I really hope by then that they've made a proper d-pad on the joycon. That's the only negative I see to using joycons over a Pro.

How often do you need to do a running jump in this game? Can't recall any thing that requires it. And you can change the jump button to A from the options.

Ranmo

I've been a fan of this style since the nunchuck on Wii. The fact that you can rest your hands in a natural way and play the game simultaneously is fantastic. You can even scratch your back easily and keep on keepin' on at the same time!

100% agree. I picked up a Pro Controller because I expected to use it for most games. It's my multiplayer controller now. Pretty much no matter what I play, I use detached joy-con.
I don't think Nintendo gets near enough credit on this board for the Joy-Con. They're far and away the best control solution for a portable game system that I've ever used.

I've been liking it a lot as well. I love the pro controller but laying down and holding the joy-con however far apart is really relaxing. I have scoliosis so being able to play however I want is very much appreciated.

score01

Wii owners were already woke go this

Yeah I mean what year is this.gif

It's feels great playing relaxed with your hands just at your side. Loved the wiimote and nunchuck (best controller name ever?) combo. Without a cord between the controllers Nintendo have just dialled it up to 11.

watershed

Banned
I like the feel of the individual joycon in my hands and playing in a relaxed fashion but I don't like the small buttons and small analogs with limited travel distance. It feels like too much of a compromise, especially when playing MK8D. For Zelda it's an acceptable trade off for the comfort of the split controller.

Switch would have been the perfect console to have during my school days. It's so convenient to prop up the screen on the desk, have a Joy-Con in each pocket, and just playing during class breaks or something. My neck gets strained pretty easily looking down all the time (like at my phone or something when it's closer to my lap, so having the screen on a table is a big plus.

I like the feel of the individual joycon in my hands and playing in a relaxed fashion but I don't like the small buttons and small analogs with limited travel distance. It feels like too much of a compromise, especially when playing MK8D. For Zelda it's an acceptable trade off for the comfort of the split controller.

I actually really apreaciate the small travel distance on the analog sticks. Makes playing 2d games with them totally doable for me. Don't have any issues with games like Mario Kart either.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I use the pro controller for tv play and the detached joycons for portable mode, very comfortable indeed. Sometimes I attach them back to the tablet, but it does start to get heavy after a while. I do love that we have all these options though.

As a Wiimote+Nunchuk veteran I've sworn by separate Joy-Cons since day one, especially because the attached handheld mode turned out to be an ergonomic disappointment, and after the Wii and Wii U eras I'm not even that accustomed anymore to holding my hands as close together as the included grip demands. In handheld mode I was cramping up in no time at all, while with detached Joy-Cons I was putting ten-hour days into BotW without breaking a sweat. Freehand aiming and a more palpable sensation of HD Rumble were a bonus, made clearest by the Splatoon Testfire.

However, I did have one overriding concern about this control scheme, and playing the Blaster Master Zero demo this weekend confirmed my fears. The pseudo-D-pad buttons aren't well placed for a separate left Joy-Con to be good for intense, precision-demanding D-pad-based games like a future 2D Mario or older VC titles, once they show up. The only way to play comfortably with the directonal buttons rather than the stick as the main input is to hold the left Joy-Con much lower, losing easy access to ZL/L and also losing the advantage of having the bottom of the Joy-Con rest against your palm, one of the things that make the detached setup feel surprisingly stable. (I don't have that problem with Puyo Puyo Tetris, oddly enough.)

I don't know if those of you playing Shovel Knight with separate Joy-Cons have had a better experience with this, but for me this is enough of a concern that it's yet another reason for me to hold off on double-dipping and play all the new content on the Wii U instead.

Attached handheld mode isn't too bad with D-pad games as opposed to stick games, at least, as the placement encourages a looser grip on the device. It's not wonderful, but it's not unlike playing on the 3DS. So when a 2D Mario or the VC library comes around I do see myself using the attached mode or the bundled grip a lot more than I do now. For everything else, however—particularly anything involving stick movement, motion aiming, or the rumble—separate Joy-Cons are clearly the way to go.

I am definitely in the market for a future Joy-Con (L) that has a classic Nintendo D-pad in the top position where the analogue stick currently resides.

Top Bottom