• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Detached/dual Joy-cons" style of play has really blown my mind

Felensis

Banned
Detached Joy-Cons = LIFE

F4lDFmX.jpg

I love playing mario kart with split cons, in games where you use the triggers and only a few button presses its super comfy.... and that hd rumble.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I definitely prefer split-controller setups. Much more comfortable for longer sessions for me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've tried it but just don't like the joy cons individually and find them awkward even though having split hands is comfy. Too small and the stick layout is awkward to me. I don't really like them on the grip either, serviceable at best. They're fine in handheld mode though, other than the buttons position is awkward for use as a d-pad so I'd totally buy a new left joycon with a real d-pad in the stick position.

So just pro controller docked and handheld mode for me.

EDarkness

I'm all about the split joy-con play. There's no other way for me to play. My wife plays that way, too, so I have no need for a pro-controller. It's the main reason I bought a NS to begin with.

I like and dislike it in different ways, I mostly agree with the OP but the stick positioning when using the joycons detached just doesn't feel comfortable for my thumbs. The positives, like aiming with gyro controls almost outweigh that, but not quite.

Penguin

Probably mentioned in the thread, but do this set-up with the strap on, it adds a little bit of width and actually makes it much easier to hold I find.

But yeah love this set-up. It's this or handheld mode for me. Don't even know where my grip is

Greddleok

How does it feel on your wrists during extended sessions? The Wiimote really hurt my wrist if I played for more than an hour, but to be fair it did involve aiming at the TV in a kinda awkward position.

I agree, even though i have huge hands, i love to play with the joy-cons detached. Feels so great to have that freedom and comfort. It was already great on the Wii but the thing had a cable for the nunchucks. With the Switch there's no cables so it makes the experience way better.

It feels somewhat comfortable, but they are kinda tiny in my hands and even when I add the accessories and increase the bulk, I just feel so much more comfortable having handles. I think I'll like the pro a little more. Something like Zelda where I'm holding Z and back dashing and stuff, I like a controller with handles.

I can play Mario Kart and Splatoon probably with it separate. But it's definitely not replacing my love of a standard controller. I held the Pro in the store and love my DS4, I can play like that for hours.

Falchion

My friend came over and played Zelda like this for several hours and loved it, but I can't force myself to not use the pro controller. Maybe I'll give it a shot since so many people are swearing by it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I love it. It's great for when my dog insists on being up in my business.

Split controller is awesome. I need to figure out how to use Joycons on PC.
With the right Bluetooth support (not all dongles seem to work) it's pretty easy to get them connected. Just go to where you'd normally do Bluetooth connections, hit the Sync button on a Joy-Con, select it and let it pair. Two problems, though. 1) Getting them recognized as Xinput so they work as a pair with more things natively (which there are partial workarounds for). 2) The analogs aren't treated as analogs, but as if they're 8-way d-pads. I've heard the Pro Controllers don't have this problem, so hopefully it's something that gets worked around eventually too.

My friend came over and played Zelda like this for several hours and loved it, but I can't force myself to not use the pro controller. Maybe I'll give it a shot since so many people are swearing by it.
Nah, it's not better or more accurate than a Pro/DS4/X1 controller IMO.

People are excited because it's super comfortable, it doesn't replace standard controllers in my book in the slightest.

Played 50 hours of Zelda this way. Insanely comfortable, to the point where picking up a Dualshock 4 to play Persona 5 feels restrictive. This is the only way I play Switch games pretty much.

foltzie1

It's also wonderful when you have a toddler who wants to help by sitting in your lap while she holds her own controller*.

*Until she figures out her controller isn't connected and starts trying to grab one of the Joy-Cons. It makes for a fun hard mode on BotW.

psyfi

Banned
The joycons are too small for me to comfortably use them like that. Glad other people are enjoying it, though, I don't really mind missing out.

Also, playing in a laid back position with my arms to the side is really hard for me to imagine. I never lay like that, even when watching TV.

The joycons are too small for me to comfortably use them like that. Glad other people are enjoying it, though, I don't really mind missing out.

Also, playing in a laid back position with my arms to the side is really hard for me to imagine. I never lay like that, even when watching TV.

It's not really 'arms to the sides' as much as much as it's just a more comfortable hands-in-lap setup for me. Also for all the people saying they're too small, I find that I hold them at a different angle when disconnected from the system, or grip. The bottom outer corner sits in my palm, making it more diagonal than vertical. They're too small for me to hold them upright, but feel great tucked into the hand.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've found one of the most comfortable ways to play laying on the bed is to lay on the stomach, prop yourself up on a pillow, and detach the joycons while laying the switch flat on the bed square between your spread arms. Rest your chin on the pillows.

maxcriden

I'm a big fan of it also. Have you played much on Wii? The style of gameplay was pretty similar there though not identical.

ajim

I don't enjoy detached joycons nearly as much as I actually enjoyed the free style of the wii nunchucks. I wish I did because I really like that style but the right joycon and the joystick are just uncomfortable like that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I really liked it on Wii but the Joy-cons are too small and the stick placement on the right controller feels odd to me.

kunonabi

Ive been in love with detached controls since the wii and vastly prefer it to any other method. Its also the driving force behind me getting a switch in a year or two.

Gator86

I tried but they are too small for my large hands. I use the pro controller 100% of the time.

I just got my Switch yesterday and my copy of Zelda hasn't shown up yet so no long gameplay impressions, but the idea of using the joycons for more than a few minutes is disgusting. They're small and feel terrible. I reeeeeeeally wish they had just included a goddamn pro controller.

For all the regular PS3 games that had Move support, welcome to the new age. It'sy favorite way to play, and I even had to point at the screen occasionally. I can't imagine how awesome it will be to just relax totally with it.

Peltz

I prefer my pro controller at home. But I definitely like Split controllers + tabletop mode over handheld mode when I'm on the go.

Slythe

Am I crazy if I've put roughly 150 hours into my Switch and haven't used this method at all?

I tried for about 10 second and felt like I couldn't get to the should buttons very easily because I had nothing holding the joycon still. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance?

Am I crazy if I've put roughly 150 hours into my Switch and haven't used this method at all?

I tried for about 10 second and felt like I couldn't get to the should buttons very easily because I had nothing holding the joycon still. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance?

Let it sit in the palm of your hand.

It's shit. They're too small. Attached to the switch or in the controller thingy they go. But really, the pro controller is the only way to play (unless it's outside of the dock).

I LOVED it on the Wii but I cannot get used to it on Switch. I think it has to do with the placement of buttons/stick and how having buttons on both sides confuses my brain. Even though they function as a d-pad. my brain still acts like they are buttons. Was a big hurdle in the beginning when playing Zelda.

I might get used to it, will try some more later.

This is me. I have no idea what's so hard about it, but my brain can't process the button layout as it should. I also have medium-sized hands and I find the Joy-Con to be kinda small for that type of play. I'm hoping the battery packs help.

Oni Jazar

It's shit. They're too small. Attached to the switch or in the controller thingy they go. But really, the pro controller is the only way to play (unless it's outside of the dock).

You really have to give it a better chance. The controller dock thingy is much more awkward than going split joy. Yes they are small but small is good! I think using the little strap on for bulk makes it worse.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't mind it. I like it. Keeps feeling I should be playing a motion game though. Where's my waggle? Use it on flights and it works well.

Mostly been sticking to Pro controller because it's just immediately there. I don't mind the joy-con grip, actually kinda prefer the smaller, weirder shape but not enough to use it over the Pro.

Unai

I don't think my hands are big but I don't like that setup at all. it's really uncomfortable. I loved the wii + nunchuk for reference.

Sojiro

Absolutely love dual Joycons controller far more than I thought I would. I have barely used my pro controller. Best feature of the switch that I never knew I wanted.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Did the problem with connection strength get fixed even in apartments with a lot of 2.4 ghz wireless?

Listonosh

Yeah, this is pretty much the only way I've played the Wii (if the game allowed obviously). Since there's no cable tethering the JoyCon, it's even more comfortable. I had the console early and before the patches, playing that way would definitely cause issues with the signal, but after the first patch, I play like this 90% of the time. It's super comfy, and really has me wishing that Sony or Microsoft did something similar by legit just splitting their controllers in half and giving you the ability to just hold each part individually.

BizzyBum

It's a cool feature but they are just way too small for me to play comfortably, Pro Controller is infinitely better, IMO.

Top Bottom