• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

chadskin

President Trump has made his decision to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the decision. Details on how the withdrawal will be executed are being worked out by a small team including EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. They're deciding on whether to initiate a full, formal withdrawal — which could take 3 years — or exit the underlying United Nations climate change treaty, which would be faster but more extreme.
https://www.axios.com/scoop-trump-is-pulling-u-s-out-of-paris-climate-deal-2427773025.html

President Donald Trump is expected to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, CBS News White House Correspondent Major Garrett confirms.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-trump-to-withdraw-from-paris-climate-agreement/

President Donald Trump is planning to pull the United States out of the Paris climate change agreement, according to a White House official, in a move that is certain to infuriate America's allies across the globe and could destabilize the 2015 accord.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/31/trump-paris-climate-change-agreement-238974

B5-lDJWCUAAwfya.jpg

Carn82

So, if it might take a few years to effectuate and all, and assuming Trump might finish his first term but won't get a second one, what keeps the 'next' President from just reversing all this?

Harmen

I am expecting nothing else from Trump to be honest. Out of almost every damn option he manages to pick the worst one. And this is one of the decisions that will hit the hardest, worldwide.

kiguel182

As a non-US citizen is sad to see how they elected this dude that is now on a path to damage the entire world with his policies. Fuck him and honestly, fuck everyone who voted for him.

I'm still in disbelief that this idiot actually won that election.

On behalf of the rest of the world, fuck him and all the people who put him in power.
Yup. Disgraceful that the wealthiest country on Earth should struggle so much to understand basic science.

How is climate science taught in the US? Does anyone know? I want to know if the young people actually get this.

Since Brexit, UK has been completely backtracking on the environment. This is worse, as US is more influential and a bigger polluter.

Going to be impossible for other countries to agree to cut down emissions if the US isn't also doing it.

Ah well, wonder if he's going to get into any trouble over this, come next election. I think climate change just seems too far off, for many people to care about.

Banzai

The USA are such a fucking joke. I can't believe the world has to suffer because you can't get your shit together. A country of embarrassing dumb as fuck people chanting "USA! USA! USA!" while the world around them burns.

KorrZ

America really is the villain of the world at this point. It's amazing, almost a century of leadership on the world stage thrown away.

Blader

I think this is the third time I've posted this, but: as awful as this is, the fact is that Trump was NEVER going to pursue the target goals outlined in the Paris agreement, so whether he keeps us in or pulls us out is functionally the same. The path forward for the U.S. government to take meaningful steps on climate action, for at least the next 3.5 years, died last November.

Since Brexit, UK has been completely backtracking on the environment. This is worse, as US is more influential and a bigger polluter.

Going to be impossible for other countries to agree to cut down emissions if the US isn't also doing it.

Ah well, wonder if he's going to get into any trouble over this, come next election. I think climate change just seems too far off, for many people to care about.

That's not true. The reason China did a 180 on climate action so soon is because it became quickly apparent how much their CO2 output had become a public health crisis.

Yup. Disgraceful that the wealthiest country on Earth should struggle so much to understand basic science.

How is climate science taught in the US? Does anyone know? I want to know if the young people actually get this.

Depends on where you're from. It's taught properly in most colleges, but high schools are hit and miss. It's not uncommon, especially in the South, for high school teachers to gloss over climate change. Same with evolution.

I understand that it's not really fair for the americans that didn't vote for him (and I know neogaf is heavily anti-trump) but fuck you america.

So, if it might take a few years to effectuate and all, and assuming Trump might finish his first term but won't get a second one, what keeps the 'next' President from just reversing all this?

What stopping America from electing another Trump and flushing any progress down the drain again? The world needs sustained commitment to curbing climate change from the world's worst polluter and America can't ever be trusted to give it.

Alej

Banned
It's time for a global revolution. If we don't do it, us the people, we are toast in the next thirty years.

X-Frame

So the withdrawal could take 3 years, by which time if there is another President in 2020 they can instantly re-join? Or does re-joining also take another 3 years?

Top Bottom