• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go to a rally protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?

SilentRob

So this forum is pretty much 100% Anti-Trump, with hundreds, maybe thousands of posts displaying disgust, rage and utter disbelief being posted every day.

This thread is aimed at Americans, because this is the one thing that strikes me not only as odd, but leaves me pretty distraught and led me to being incredibly cynical about not only the concept of America as a country, but the American populace specifically: Why are there so few protests? With which I mean:

Why aren't there country-wide protests of thousands of people in every large city every single week? A few months ago the Women's March gave me the impression this would be the start of a resistant movement, showing where the will of the american people truly lies. Turns out: It wasn't the beginning, it was the end. The Women's March didn't start a wildfire that spread across the country and only got bigger with every single terrible thing Trump has said and done, but...didn't do anything, really.

Obviously, there are protests and rallys, as the tragedy in CHarlottesville has shown us. But they don't seem nearly as prevalent and big as I would assume.

Now your president didn't only pull you out of the biggest and most important climate deal in history, but also threatened nuclear war with another Country and showed his support for Neo-Nazis against the "Alt-Left".

If all of this was't enough to mobilize people, I don't see what could ever be. So I wanted to get more specific and I'm honestly interested in real answers, not only in blaming others: If you didn't go to a rally and showed your support against Trump, protesting his borderline insane regime - why not? What would have to happen for you to consider it?

sappyday

I wasn't sure if there was one happening in LA. Plus I work in the afternoons so it makes it kind of hard. Not a good enough excuse and if there is another one I'll try to go cause I really do want to go.

He doesn't do many rallies in blue states, so I'm lucky to avoid his filthy white supremacist stench.

EDIT - I misread title.

I just went to a Candlelight Vigil last night honoring the 2 police officers and the woman killed in Charlottesville last weekend.

But I have not been to an actual Trump rally to protest him directly. He doesn't come around my area.

I also went to the Women's day march rally in my own town back in January.

If the Alt-Right show up to do a protest march near my town, I'll be there to shut them down.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I have work, uni, and shit to do with my own life.

I despise Trump and everything he does, so I'm glad others are able to make the sacrifices they do to be able to protest.

There's a few reasons, but above all else, I didn't go to a rally because I'm busy helping my family get ready for moving to Japan. My personal life is pretty damn hectic right now, as are the lives of my mom and dad, so I've been trying to help them out as much as I can for this process.

I absolutely support everyone that is protesting Trump though and wish I could do more to help.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It feels like there has been at least three or four protests each month in NYC. If the Cheeto does anything, there are protests that very night (the Muslim ban, the transgender ban, the NK situation, etc). Heck, when he came to town, there have been protests outside his shitty tower.

Was traveling this weekend. Spent most of Sunday driving. Really wanted to. It's, admittedly, been a sec since I got out there. I was at an Anti-Trump protest the night after the election, as well as an airport protest after the Muslim ban. Next time shit's going down, which I expect to be sooner than later, I'm gonna be out there.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I haven't and I feel shitty about it. I've attended protests in the past but... Unfortunately, the shooting we had here in Dallas during a peaceful protest makes me nervous. I know it's not logical, but it is what it is.

Goofalo

Maybe posting in Neogaf is a big enough circlejerk for me.

Maybe I'm older, and when I was younger and I worked in community organizations for people of color and lower income folks, most middle class white folks were "Meh." to the issues I was advocating, and now they only care because the water is around their ankles, as opposed to other groups who felt the water was at their necks.

Maybe because when I see these rallies and marches, its a contest of who can come up with the cleverest sign or t-shirt slogan, and when organizers hold breakdown meetings afterwards to discuss the steps that be taken next for collective action, those meetings are incredibly sparsely attended.

Maybe because organizing people nowadays is harder because people don't want to put in more effort than hitting "like" on fucking Facebook, and going to a march means to them, they are the same as John Lewis now.

The house has been on fire for a long time now, and I have no effort and patience left for people who are just now saying "Hey, is it warm in here?"

Kthulhu

Because people have jobs and school and children. People can't protest 24/7.

Not to mention Trump's approval numbers are at a record low and he hasn't done anything that directly impacts anyone yet.

Because the priorities in my life already are stretching me beyond what I can sustain in the long run, and there's no way to remove any of these priorities without suffering impacts beyond what I believe I or my family can handle. The urgent crowds out the important.

Zonar

I feel cowardly and sad to say this but it's because I'm black and I don't want to get shot beat up or killed. I feel like such a piece of shit for not being stronger but, I wanted to answer this 100% truthfully.

yuoke

Banned
Are you implying all of the people actually protesting have to be unemployed? People dont usually Work 24/7...

giphy.gif

Kthulhu

Not interested. Protests aren’t the only way to resist Trump.

This. There are people donating money and getting involved with activist and political groups

Sorry man, but in my town we're out there rallying or protesting at least once a week. And my town isn't big.

Also this. Just because you didn't see a protest on international news doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Didnt mean to come Off angry, because Im not. But unless He has been working every day, all day for the Last few weeks I don't see what it has to so with anything. "I cant Protest, I have a Job" is just nonsense to me oO

In most parts of the country, there are not constant protests. Here in Tampa, there was one at 7PM on Sunday. If he was working at that time, then he wouldn't have been able to make it.

yuoke

Banned
Didnt mean to come Off angry, because Im not. But unless He has been working every day, all day for the Last few weeks I don't see what it has to so with anything. "I cant Protest, I have a Job" just seems like an shitpost to me.

I mean, protests aren't happening 24/7, and people have other things to do besides work. if you happen to have free time when a protest is nearby and want to, that's good....

dafortune

I'm tired man. When I was in my 20's I went to several anti Bush/Iraq war demonstrations, marched on the RNC in NY ect but now with my kid and work I can't be bothered to waste my time doing something that's ultimately futile. I'm glad the young folks still have the energy for it but seriously fuck a march how bout we vote in the midterm elections?

Ponn

Banned
Because I have social anxiety disorder that is crippling in public along with other problems like heart conditions. In a crowd like that I would probably hyperventilate so bad with a panic attack in the middle of it and then have a tachycardia episode, blackout and maybe die. Id be more of a burden at such a thing then help. I would fully endorse people using my body to throw at nazis though.

Astral Dog

You sound like you want to blame people op , many Trumpers are stupid or complacent, Democrats are busy, tired, or just don't have the time or energy to go every day protesting and thats fine make it eventful, they still have lifes and children to take care of.

Not really convinced in the power of protests. Other ways to skin a cat, like donations.

Add on laziness, complacency, and the fact that I work during the week and have other things to do on weekends.

I trust protests will be fine without the addition of one more person anyways. And yes, I'm aware that's the same faulty logic people use for voting. Being a hypocrite here.

No because the only interesting thing to do in less than a 4 hour drive would have been to counter protest what the nazi fucks had planned for Boston but they tucked their tail and canceled.

Protesting Trump isn't that appealing to me in terms of time spent. Pence is 90% as bad so even impeaching Trump doesn't do much for me.

Catching a nazi fuck assault someone and take the opportunity to respond with my hands? Much more appealing and worth my time.

hitme

No one would dare to do a Trump rally in the most liberal city in the United States.

I'll head over to nearby cities if there is one.

Work, really.

I want to go to counter-protest that "free speech" rally this Saturday on the Common, but my children BOTH have tests to advance to a new belt on Saturday, AND it's my wife's birthday.

Top Bottom