• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go to a rally protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?

Didnt mean to come off angry, because Im not. But unless s/he has been working every day, all day for the last few weeks I don't see what it has to so with anything. "I cant protest, I have a Job" just seems like a shitpost to me.
I have a physically demanding job where I bust my ass all day, you're more than welcome to take my place so I can hold up a sign. In fact, I'd appreciate it.

SilentRob

In most parts of the country, there are not constant protests. Here in Tampa, there was one at 7PM on Sunday. If he was working at that time, then he wouldn't have been able to make it.

I understood the post as a general "I don't protest because I have a Job" not a specific "I couldn't go to a specific Protest because I was working", thats on me. Was a little too used to hearing that argument as a general way to handwave away the validity of protests and protesters, I apologize.

Grym

I have not because:

1) I work and have family (young children) responsibilities that keep me fairly busy
2) I haven't heard of any organized protests in my area...not everyone lives in NYC, or Chicago, or LA, or wherever (if there were any here I would try to go)
3) I am not a protest organizer nor will I stand on a street corner with a sign all by myself

These were the answers that I expected.

(Not that I'm any different, mind you)

Although the donation to organizations fighting Trump is a valid form of protest so...

I understood the post as a general "I don't protest because I have a Job" not a specific "I couldn't go to a specific Protest because I was working", thats on me. Was a little too used to hearing that argument as a general way to handwave away the validity of protests and protesters, I apologize.

Your OP sounds very accusatory and kind of invites the kind of response that states the obvious in a blunt way. Work, classes, kids, general fear, etc.

Renna Hazel

I see no reason to attend rallies. I voted against him and what he stands for. I'll vote again this year and every year that follows. That's my preferred method of making my voice heard.

Weebos

Banned
Not really convinced in the power of protests. Other ways to skin a cat, like donations.

Add on laziness, complacency, and the fact that I work during the week and have other things to do on weekends.

This for me, plus I live in one of the bluest states in the union. "People in Massachusetts don't like Trump" isn't exactly a stunning revelation.

I've definitely thought about it though.

Acerac

Banned
After the "we are the 99%" protests, it feels like a complete waste of time. Between media coverage and people who loathe protests because they are inconvenient I don't see what good it'll do.

Maybe if I had cared less previously I'd care more now, but at a certain point I'd rather try to focus on living a positive life given the conditions I am in than yelling at people who already have made up their minds. Granted, I have all the respect in the world for all those who haven't burnt themselves out trying to get this populace to notice the insanity happening right in front of them, but I'm sick of smashing my face against a wall.

*Edit*

The fact that my area is stupidly liberal means that there really aren't any protests to go to, but lets be real, I'd still not bother.

psyfi

Banned
No one would dare to do a Trump rally in the most liberal city in the United States.

I'll head over to nearby cities if there is one.
I dunno where you live, but I'm in Portland and there was a white supremacist rally here in June. Even liberal cities harbor fascists.

I did not, and I don't intend to, but I support anybody who is.

There was a anti-racist/peace rally in my city on Sunday, shortly after the Charlottesville events. There were about 250 peaceful protesters who were promoting solidarity with the people in Charlottesville... but at the end of the rally, about 20 teens/young people wearing masks/balaclava, claiming to be a local Antifa group showed up, seemingly, for the only purpose to cause a raucus and antagonize police, who had all been supportive/accommodating of the crowd. I support anybody's right to wear a mask at a rally and anybody's right to criticize police, but I personally don't want to be at an event with groups of masked people, so while I support their right to protest how they want, I'm not going to be at an event like that.

Has nothing to do with it being a rally either, if I'm at a bar and 20 people walk in with masks/balaclava/scarf on, I'm probably GTFO of there.

If all of this was't enough to mobilize people, I don't see what could ever be.

I don't need a reason to be mobilized, but I mobilize in a different way than protesting in the public square. I mobilize my dollars into issues and politicians who I support, and I've voted in every election in the last 15 years since I could vote... Not just the big sexy presidential elections, or even the big semi-sexy gubernatorial/mid-term elections, but every primary, every local referendum, every time polls have been open to me I've voted. It's usually 3 or 4 times a year. A handful of my friends/acquaintances went to the peace rally on Sunday and I support them in going, making signs, etc., but I also know that they're people who only vote once every two years at the most, and really, it's usually less than that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OP are you living in America? If not, would you mind sparing everyone the lecture about how they're not giving up enough of their daily quality of life to protest for your taste? The entire tone of the thread is ugly, no one needs to justify their daily choices to you and people can choose to show their opposition in the way they wish to. Everyone has a different strategic calculus about the utility of protest in their area, the danger they are likely to face if any, the message they want to send, and who they want to target with the message. Get off your high horse.

It's also pretty flippant to talk shit about how the Women's March was an end to protest when actually the current level of protest in the US is easily the largest in 15 years, probably more like in 40, with major protests and marches in most cities several times a month.

Steel

Banned
I do call my reps, I convinced a few republicans I knew to vote Hillary/not vote before the election, but no I have not protested. For the major ones I'd have to buy a plane ticket.

cress2000

My personal life and health are big enough messes even without trump in the equation. I have contacted reps and I hope I can afford another ACLU donation soon.

LOLDSFAN

Did you go to a rally protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?

No because Trump hasn't done anything to affect me personally.

Also public protesting is boring and I'd rather do something else with my time.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's called the nazi protests of 1933 and knowing they don't amount to much. You want to make a difference play the game with better tactics. I also am basically not helping dems in anyway until they get serious about blm or lgbtq residence rights which amazingly pakistan is leading better than our political leaders in this country do.

I volunteered for the Democratic party and went to a few meetings for progressive organizations in the last year, but with two young kids and work I don't have enough free time to be consistent with it. I make the effort when I'm able to, but unfortunately I haven't done much lately.

The Hatch Act also prevents my wife from attending political events, so I have to also deal with guilt for ditching her to look after our kids by herself. I got around that by taking our older kid to volunteer with me for the last event I did, so I'll probably do more of that as he gets older.

Edit: I would love to be paid for organizing efforts to support progressive causes. That's the real ticket, I've applied for a few jobs recently to do exactly that.

cr0w

Old Member
Nope. I work full-time, have a wife and other responsibilities to handle in my off-time.

I vote and donate to causes I care about, which is more than many of the "protesters" can probably say.

Nope. I work full-time, have a wife and other responsibilities to handle in my off-time.

I vote and donate to causes I care about, which is more than many of the "protesters" can probably say.

🤔 Are you implying people protest because it's some form of a party and don't vote or do anything else?

We had a protest against the confederate memorial in downtown Dallas last week, and there is going to be a Dallas Against White Supremacy protest this saturday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/306127879798238??ti=ia

Also, Trump will be coming to Dallas at the end of September to fundraise. There is a protest planned.
Dallas is a two hour drive.

Now that fundraiser thing sounds cool. If I can get my lazy ass out of bed I'll do it.

cr0w

Old Member
I'm implying that somewhere around 43% of the country didn't vote in the election, and given that the election was supposed to be a landslide in Democrats' minds, many people currently protesting probably contributed to that number because they figured Hillary would win anyway.

So rather than directly influencing the election, now they're standing around thinking up clever signs and slogans to show their opposition in a very visible, very superficial way.

WTF. Way to put down others for resisting in their own way.

I'm sorry I think Twitter protests, online "activism" and periodic street blocking are less effective than actual voting.

�� Are you implying people protest because it's some form of a party and don't vote or do anything else?

No more than the idea that people who don't go to protests aren't politically motivated, which is the undercurrent of the OP.

I do have friends/acquaintances who fit that category, though... Who will protest several times a year, but can only be bothered to vote when a presidential election comes around. And then they complain that they're picking between the least worst candidate, and how no candidate is like them or promotes their ideas. They can't grasp that they'll never get a candidate who vouches for their ideas if they can't be bothered to vote when those candidates are running for school committee, city council, state treasurer, or state legislature.

What?!? Dammit I wish I had known...I would have been out there as well.

Follow your local Indivisible group on Facebook and you'll know about these events.

I'm not sure what it's called but search Tidewater/Hampton Roads Indivisible and if that doesn't come back with anything start looking up Norfolk, VAB, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, etc. Indivisible.

Those sorts of protests are ineffective and cringe-worthy. I would like to protest with my taxes though, holding onto your money should be protected as free speech

Because too many people are complacent and until something has a direct and measurable effect on them they won't lift a finger. And I'm not just talking protests but charity, voting, nada. You really think a 'progressive' populace that's too lazy to go to the polls once every two years is going to collectively get off their asses to protest? Seems unlikely imo.

Yoritomo

We had a protest against the confederate memorial in downtown Dallas last week, and there is going to be a Dallas Against White Supremacy protest this saturday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/306127879798238??ti=ia

Also, Trump will be coming to Dallas at the end of September to fundraise. There is a protest planned.

Is facebook the best place for locating events local to north texas?

Genuine question, I'm not on facebook but may need to rejoin if it's the primary way organizers are using to plan collective actions.

Top Bottom