• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you go to a rally protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?

SilentRob

I don't care about your arguments or experiences, I think that was made obvious by my previous reply.

You probably shouldn't engage in a discussion if you have no interest in engaging in a discussion.

3 protests within the past week. Am working full-time and had class part-time this semester.

I've got a lot of respect for you man. Awesome to hear.

I've made the personal decision that my job as a cancer researcher is more important than the latest Trump protest.

Good on you, your work is so important. But why would one thing exclude the other?

Kthulhu

Thanks for engaging my arguments and experiences. Denying me an opinion when American's actions or lack thereof have actual consequences on my country and life, too, is one of the many reasons this has been so incredibly frustrating.

Your opinion is factually incorrect because you have decided to form it without educating yourself on the situation in this country beyond the Woman's March.

Sanke__

Because this is America
We don't have to protest an idiot in power because he is not a dictator

He was elected
I have confidence that the other branches of government will stop him from doing irreversible harm
And I will gladly vote against him in 2020 if he somehow hasn't been kicked out / quit by then

What exactly are people supposed to protest for?
To overthrow our democratic government?
Maybe restrict voting to people with an IQ over 100?

smisk

I haven't been to one since the Women's March, really should go to more. There's stuff in DC pretty often, but I just don't feel like I always have time to go downtown, and don't follow closely enough to know about these things in advance.

Have another local one tomorrow.

Where at?

bionic77

Because this is America

He was elected
I have confidence that the other branches of government will stop him from doing irreversible harm
And I will gladly vote against him in 2020 if he somehow hasn't been kicked out / quit by then

I went to a rally on the weekend to show I did not agree with his words about both sides and to express my extreme disappointment and displeasure of his presidency so far.

I am all about going to more protests.

Instead of wasting my time going to protests to make myself feel better I spend my time writing letters to my local representatives urging them to take action to resolve the situation, and donating my time and money to groups that support the victims of bad government policy.

You probably shouldn't engage in a discussion if you have no interest in engaging in a discussion.

So fucking sorry that you are impacted by this man. Obviously, we are doing just fine and should stop and ask how you are doing.

How are you doing right now? Should we send someone over? We'll get back to our regularly scheduled protests after we attend to your suffering.

I'm so conflicted. I'm 15 minutes from Boston and want to go Sat. Have plans with a friend the same day that I made in February. Fuck!!

I work hard, and when I'm not I just want to spend time with my 2 year old, watching/letting him be a kid without letting political shit get in the way.

Fuchsdh

There's protests constantly in NYC.

But your OP supposes that protest is the only or the most effective method of countering Trump. What exactly is your idea of what these protests should be doing?

Fuzzery

OP are you living in America? If not, would you mind sparing everyone the lecture about how they're not giving up enough of their daily quality of life to protest for your taste? The entire tone of the thread is ugly, no one needs to justify their daily choices to you and people can choose to show their opposition in the way they wish to. Everyone has a different strategic calculus about the utility of protest in their area, the danger they are likely to face if any, the message they want to send, and who they want to target with the message. Get off your high horse.

It's also pretty flippant to talk shit about how the Women's March was an end to protest when actually the current level of protest in the US is easily the largest in 15 years, probably more like in 40, with major protests and marches in most cities several times a month.

Meadows

Banned
Because I live in the U.K. and as repulsive as your president is, I don't think it's my business to protest against your problems.

I'd imagine foreigners protesting against your president would only add to his support.

SilentRob

Because this is America

He was elected

Hitler was elected, too.

People are supposed to protest to show their resistance against a president who supports Nazis. You yourself are saying "if he somehow hasn't been kicked out"...why would he be if the US citizens don't seem too bothered with it all? How can you have any kind of trust in an impeachment process that would require republicans to go ahead with it who still supported him after sexually harassing women and supporting Nazis? It's on the people to show their leaders their demands. And protests, big protests, regu,at protests are one of the oldest, most effective ways for the people to do exactly that. Especially in democratic countries that support this kind of speech and expression.
So fucking sorry that you are impacted by this man. Obviously, we are doing just fine and should stop and ask how you are doing.

How are you doing right now? Should we send someone over? We'll get back to our regularly scheduled protests after we attend to your suffering.

This is not about me. The mod I answered to made it about me by implying only Americans are impacted and could have any say in the matter, which I disputed. I didn't say "Protest because I'm suffering so bad!" I said "I can take part in this discussion, too, because the consequences are far-reaching".

There are protests all over the place all of the time. It must be nice to be from an adorable little country where you can all meet in the middle and protest together.

Ottaro

Instead of wasting my time going to protests to make myself feel better I spend my time writing letters to my local representatives urging them to take action to resolve the situation, and donating my time and money to groups that support the victims of bad government policy.
Lmao why is the assumption always that people who are protesting dont do all of this already. Protesting is a crucial component in instigating a national dialogue and literally only takes a few hours of one's time every now and then. Theyre also useful networking and coordinating tools for organizations.

Kthulhu

Hitler was elected, too.

People are support to protest to show their resistance against a president who supports Nazis. You yourself are saying "if he somehow hasn't been kicked out"...why would he be if the US citizens don't seem too bothered with it all? How can you have any kind of trust in an impeachment process that would require republicans to go ahead with it who still supported him after sexually harassing women and supporting Nazis? It's on the people to show their leaders their demands. And protests, big protests, regu,at protests are one of the oldest, most effective ways for the people to do exactly that. Especially in democratic countries that support this kind of speech and expression.

Protests didn't stop the GOP from trying to repeal Obamacare. They are a party by and for corporations and the rich.

While I don't agree with the idea that protests do nothing, I understand why some people feel they don't help.

Hitler was elected, too.

People are support to protest to show their resistance against a president who supports Nazis. You yourself are saying "if he somehow hasn't been kicked out"...why would he be if the US citizens don't seem too bothered with it all? How can you have any kind of trust in an impeachment process that would require republicans to go ahead with it who still supported him after sexually harassing women and supporting Nazis? It's on the people to show their leaders their demands. And protests, big protests, regu,at protests are one of the oldest, most effective ways for the people to do exactly that. Especially in democratic countries that support this kind of speech and expression.

This type of rhetoric sounds more masturbatory than it does prescriptive of genuine advice that can affect change. Like, I'm sure in your mind that you feel like you're doing your part and that this is great advice you are offering and if people don't listen then they're clearly part of the problem and not the solution. And I can't speak for everyone else, certainly. But if your goal is for this to be a call to arms and give people a much needed kick in the ass to get out there and make a difference, it certainly isn't working on me. You sound like a self-righteous prick and if you were preaching this kind of stuff to me on the street I'd tell you to "fuck off" and be on my way.

sflufan

Banned
I've gone to a few protests but came to the conclusion that the best way for me to oppose this administration and its policies was to exploit my most valuable asset: my pretty nice-looking bank account.

Those monthly donations to organizations are doing far more tangible work than my presence at a protest ever could.

Ralemont

not me
Good on you, your work is so important. But why would one thing exclude the other?

Anyway, there are thousands at protests and rallies, against what your OP said. Here was one in Philly last night:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/philadelphia/philly-is-charlottesville-march-to-condemn-white-supremacy-20170816.html

You don't live here so I'll forgive you for your ignorance (though not your arrogance) but everyone I know is very concerned. It's what people talk about all the time, it's what's discussed online, it's what people flood our government with letters and calls about. America is very concerned. It is unclear to me what you want except a violent overthrow of the White House by its people.

PKrockin

I'm sorry Americans aren't attending enough general anti-Trump protests lately. Could have something to do with the fact that many of us were busy scaring the shit out of our representatives at town halls over the last month or two. But yes, I guess it's time to get back to impeach Trump shit now that brave activists have protected 20 million Americans from losing their insurance in exchange for a tax break for the rich.

Also I want to point out the Women's March wasn't the end of the protests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_Donald_Trump

Hitler was elected, too.

People are supposed to protest to show their resistance against a president who supports Nazis. You yourself are saying "if he somehow hasn't been kicked out"...why would he be if the US citizens don't seem too bothered with it all? How can you have any kind of trust in an impeachment process that would require republicans to go ahead with it who still supported him after sexually harassing women and supporting Nazis? It's on the people to show their leaders their demands. And protests, big protests, regu,at protests are one of the oldest, most effective ways for the people to do exactly that. Especially in democratic countries that support this kind of speech and expression.

This is not about me. The mod I answered to made it about me by implying only Americans are impacted and could have any say in the matter, which I disputed. I didn't say "Protest because I'm suffering so bad!" I said "I can take part in this discussion, too, because the consequences are far-reaching".
if Trump was as bad as Hitler we wouldn't be protesting because such actions would meet with a hail of bullets. Trump is bad, but he has nowhere near the power or reach of a true dictator. This isn't to say his ideology isn't similar or that he isn't a huge threat, but to point out that the realities surrounding each situation are not equivalent

SilentRob

This type of rhetoric sounds more masturbatory than it does prescriptive of genuine advice that can affect change. Like, I'm sure in your mind that you feel like you're doing your part and that this is great advice you are offering and if people don't listen then they're clearly part of the problem and not the solution. And I can't speak for everyone else, certainly. But if your goal is for this to be a call to arms and give people a much needed kick in the ass to get out there and make a difference, it certainly isn't working on me. You sound like a self-righteous prick and if you were preaching this kind of stuff to me on the street I'd tell you to "fuck off" and be on my way.

If your president being or at best supporting a Nazi/s isn't enough of a call to arms a thread on Neogaf certainly won't be and it wasn't intended as one. I was interested in hearing the reasons. Stuff like "I rather spend money supporting existing networks and organisations" make total sense to me. What I seem to gather from quite a few responses is that protesting in general seems to be regarded as not effective by some, which is both enlightening and scary to me, because it seems totally at odds with what history has taught us over and over again.

I also didn't want to imply that there weren't protests. Of course there are. I simply would have imagined that a US President doing and saying what Trump does and says would have led to a bjgger response by the people and protests that would be all-encompassing, not ignorable and country-wide. That's where I'm coming from. It's entirely possible it's just because international media doesn't pick up on them, but stuff like the women's march was everywhere and that's the scale of protests I'm talking about.

if Trump was as bad as Hitler we wouldn't be protesting because such actions would meet with a hail of bullets. Trump is bad, but he has nowhere near the power or reach of a true dictator. This isn't to say his ideology isn't similar or that he isn't a huge threat, but to point out that the realities surrounding each situation are not equivalent

I completely agree.

cwmartin

Did you stop and take a moment to think about what personal circumstances, responsibilities, fears, and priorities might prevent someone from protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?

Kthulhu

Not to mention the Trump administration is unable to do anything significant due to infighting and his inability to control his party.

Fuego.

Did you stop and take a moment to think about what personal circumstances, responsibilities, fears, and priorities might prevent someone from protesting Trump in the last few days or weeks? If not, why?
The tone of the OP is pretty definitely amazing considering we're not even a week out of it.

subrock

There haven't been any lately up here in smalltown Canada but I'll go to each one that gets organized (went to a few at the beginning of his term though)

MadSexual

It is unclear to me what you want except a violent overthrow of the White House by its people.
Yeah, I want to see the response to this too.

I don't go to street protests because I don't perceive power and policy working that way in this country. Our representatives overtly disregard the will of their constituents in favor of corporate and private funding, so I don't understand who signs and marches are for. Crowds used to represent the physical strength of a population to resist violent oppression or the potential for violent revolution. I don't believe that voicing a position alone changes anything without a further threat implied to the dominant body of power, whether physical or monetary.

vikki

I have young children that I have to care for.

I would like to protest Trump, but I don't see it happening unless it's really convenient.

Kaiterra

Banned
I live in a small town in red-ass Wisconsin and don't own a car. There's very little of this sort of thing around here and when there is it tends to be while I'm working or when I can't get there by bus.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm implying that somewhere around 43% of the country didn't vote in the election, and given that the election was supposed to be a landslide in Democrats' minds, many people currently protesting probably contributed to that number because they figured Hillary would win anyway.

So rather than directly influencing the election, now they're standing around thinking up clever signs and slogans to show their opposition in a very visible, very superficial way.
This is some bizzarre bullshit to project.

Bellamin

Because protesting isn't the be-all and end-all of political participation in the U.S. Voting is. There is no law that says an elected official has to vacate his or her position on a topic because protesters showed up for a rally. Protests are good in that they make otherwise politically illiterate people active, but they're meaningless if the participants aren't also registered to vote.

Ottaro

To anyone doubting the usefulness of protests, I would like you to imagine the national conversation around police brutality if the Black Lives Matter protests hadn't happened at all.

Do you really think there would have even been a national conversation if white people weren't constantly reminded of it when they turned on their local news channels? A lot of people in this country have the privilege of ignoring matters that don't directly impact them. Forcing ourselves into their news feed is often the only way they find out there is a problem.

Protests are a useful tool for pulling in the media who broadcast us to the people less engaged in particular issues. Whether these people end up agreeing with us or not is another matter, but the point is to ensure they are confronted with it, to force them to think about it and make a choice.

going to the one in Dallas saturday, first one to

I'm glad you'll be there.

Servbot24

Banned
The house has been on fire for a long time now, and I have no effort and patience left for people who are just now saying "Hey, is it warm in here?"

You're free to not protest (I haven't) but I don't think "I'm better than these people" is a good reason

MadSexual

To anyone doubting the usefulness of protests, I would like you to imagine the national conversation around police brutality if the Black Lives Matter protests hadn't happened at all.

Do you really think there would have even been a national conversation if white people weren't constantly reminded of it when they turned on their local news channels? A lot of people in this country have the privilege of ignoring matters that don't directly impact them. Forcing ourselves into their news feed is often the only way they find out there is a problem.

Protests are a useful tool for pulling in the media who broadcast us to the people less engaged in particular issues. Whether these people end up agreeing with us or not is another matter, but the point is to ensure they are confronted with it, to force them to think about it and make a choice.

I'm glad you'll be there.
This is a good post. Thank you for raising these points.

MUnited83

For you.
Because this is America

He was elected

America is in a dark dark place of your view of protests is that reductionist.

That's a good question. I tend to work long hours and want to relax on the weekends, but that's isn't a very good excuse. I guess I prefer to spend my free time trying to escape from reality through video games, friends, drinking, etc than go protest. I'm also scared that some psycho right wingers are going to ram a car into me or show up with AR's.

Top Bottom