• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nightmare Creatures game by the Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion team

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That didn't look great and I feel Bloodbourne might have eaten this games lunch well before it was ever announced.

Wait what, holy shit this is an insane announcement!

Edit: I loved this article style for spooky but I don't think it fits this project the same way. I'm interested as hell but I'm also a little nervous.

kunonabi

That was the last thing I expected today. Hopefully it plays like Nightmare Creatures, only better, and not just another boring indie first-person thing.

Nightmare Creatures 1 is one of my favourite PS1 horror games, the sequel not being as great. It's pretty much if Bloodborne was made for PS1, NC1 would be it.

Caddicarus did a pretty good review on it a couple of years ago, too.

Really happy to see yet another PS1 game re-lived in the modern era. Tomb Raider II, Fear Effect and now this lol.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

CookTrain

That didn't really evoke the feel of the original for me, but I guess the times they have a-changed.

Spooky's was good noise though, so I'm happy to see where this goes.

takoyaki

Wow, this is up there with Kowloon's Gate VR as forgotten PS1 era games that I never expected to show up again.

The trailer was bad, but I'm certainly interested how this game turns out.

ArjanN

Huh, nice. Wasn't expecting that. .

I am a bit concerned though that going from Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion to Nightmare Creatures is a pretty big step up. SJM is fun and well-made for what it is, but Nightmare Creatures is like a full on 3rd person action game.

Dusk Golem

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Huh, nice. Wasn't expecting that. .

I am a bit concerned though that going from Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion to Nightmare Creatures is a pretty big step up. SJM is fun for what it is, but Nightmare Creatures is like a full on 3rd person action game.

Eh. The people who worked on Spooky seem to be a talented bunch. One of them has their own horror title in development and it seems to be shaping up quite nicely

ArjanN

Eh. The people who worked on Spooky seem to be a talented bunch. One of them has their own horror title in development and it seems to be shaping up quite nicely

Oh I agree they are, I'm just saying it's a lot more ambitious type of game.

kogasu

Well then... I'd say it's been a good long minute since I've seen anything relating to this! That's crazy! I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm interested to see how the controls will work.

Dusk Golem

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's early, but as the team is an indie studio it is to be seen how it comes together. I did very much like Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion though, and the people behind it are big horror enthusiasts at the very least. PsychoBilly hosts various horror events and has for years, including multiple horror blocks at GDQ, the horror panel at PAX (which was where this was announced), and various other events. The people behind it are also rather active in horror communities, so I'm intrigued to see how it comes together.

That's great and all but the original Nightmare Creatures was a straight up action game with a horror atmosphere. I'd rather they have roots in action adventure games with a strong art design than them being huge horror fans. Not saying that is a bad thing either but it's not exactly selling me after that trailer, early and in progress as it is.

Apparently you're more right than you realize, the trailer was made using the same engine the CG for the original Nightmare Creatures used. XD;

It is certainly, but do have faith. I have a bit more faith because of the project one of the people who worked on Spooky's (Akuma Kira) has been working on by themselves, Lost in Vivo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycE_go2asjY (there was also a proof of concept demo of this released last year that's pretty interesting)

That's an update video, but it's a project he's the sole person working on and is doing a good job capturing a pretty good PS1 aesthetic and decent gorey combat system in it, and that's only one member from the team, so if they work together I think while maybe a bit ambitious it won't be impossible for them.

Okay that solidifies my hype, holy hell that's kind of amazing.

Mael

Ok, who bought the rights and decided that this was a good idea?
I doubt anyone involved in the original games are doing anything here.
At least it's gonna be better than whatever happened with Atari...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Apparently you're more right than you realize, the trailer was made using the same engine the CG for the original Nightmare Creatures used. XD;

It is certainly, but do have faith. I have a bit more faith because of the project one of the people who worked on Spooky's (Akuma Kira) has been working on by themselves, Lost in Vivo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycE_go2asjY (there was also a proof of concept demo of this released last year that's pretty interesting)

That's an update video, but it's a project he's the sole person working on and is doing a good job capturing a pretty good PS1 aesthetic and decent gorey combat system in it, and that's only one member from the team, so if they work together I think while maybe a bit ambitious it won't be impossible for them.

The demo for Lost in Vivo was *great*. Freaky art, amazing sound design.

Anung

Un Rama
I loved Nightmare Creatures as a kid and always kinda wanted a new one until Bloodborne came out and basically was that.

This trailer didn't really do much for me but it's early days so who knows.

belmonkey

I was just randomly thinking of Nightmare Creatures recently and this announcement is quite a shock. I think I'm gonna check out the old game again.

Well this was unexpected

Looks cheap but maybe this will be some goofy fun regardless? Really enjoyed Spookys

I don't know much about NC expect screens in magazines of Zombie Pants attacking the player

kc44135

Oh, cool! I actually have quite a bit of nostalgia for the original game (never played the sequ, although I've heard it's garbage), so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this. Could definitely be interesting!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
From YouTube comments
seagull said:
using the same CG tools that made the original, such dedication.
Yeah that looked bad, the voice acting sounded like a YouTuber edited over it.

gogojira

The zoom in on the face looks fucking hilarious. I liked Nightmare Creatures back in the day, but did anyone really ask for this?

JMTHEFOX

Such an unexpected announcement, especially the story regarding the IP.

Best of luck to the new developers though, heard some great things about Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Ha! That's amazing!! The first one was one of the best games back in the day!! Terrifyingly atmospheric!! I utterly enjoyed it and cannot wait to see how this turns out!!

Top Bottom