• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

hamchan

How does this compare to previous versions, time VS CR.

The payouts are pretty meagre without mod cards.

It’s definitely a lot slower, though some have posted they prefer the slower unlocks rather than the FH3 and FM6 way of just throwing you rewards non stop *shrug*.

Edit: Though to be fair I'm still getting non-stop cars thrown at me in this game using an exploit that I hope they don't fix soon.

Klocker

Sounds significantly lower than fm6. You could also stack credit mods in that game and get over a million easily from an endurance race.

no it feels about the same to me as 6 no shortage of credits, feels fine and a nice progression speed to me.

unless you are not interested in earning the car collection at first then you can just play all the custom free play races you want with a few owned cars and all rental cars to your heart's content and only need credits for more mods or cars in lootboxes which is another way to play.

GHG

How? You barely get 20k a race.

Basically you have to do longer races against higher difficulty ai with some mods in order to make higher amounts of credits.

It's a system that screws those who only want the shorter races, aren't good enough to increase the difficulty or don't want to bother with the loot boxes/mods.

Git gud and open loot boxes basically.

MaLDo

After so many errors downloading the game from Windows Store, I used the reddit guide to download the package. Installing using the package results in a 0x80080207 error (hash problem) in the middle of the setup.

Has anyone else downloaded the package and can you tell the size and CRC? Are there ways to calculate CRC of a 95GB file?

I tried every online fix about this error.

squared

It's definitely a lot slower, though some have posted they prefer the slower unlocks rather than the FH3 and FM6 way of just throwing you rewards non stop *shrug*.

Edit: Though to be fair I'm still getting non-stop cars thrown at me in this game using an exploit that I hope they don't fix soon.

Are you talking about the RAM Runner/Airfield one, or not? If not, I would gladly take a PM describing it :)

Sebmugi

2yxjiz.png

wow the reflections of the cars are oops .. :p it's pc ultra setting?

danowat

Banned
Basically you have to do longer races against higher difficulty ai with some mods in order to make higher amounts of credits.

It's a system that screws those who only want the shorter races, aren't good enough to increase the difficulty or don't want to bother with the loot boxes/mods.

Git gud and open loot boxes basically.

I don't mind racing against 'unbeatable' AI, as long as the game doesn't 'expect' me to win or gives me the chance to start in a different position other than 12th every time, I don't mind doing long races, but it's not ideal to hamstring people who don't fancy doing long races, I don't mind have cr multiplier cards if they aren't hidden behind random draws, or allow me to use these cr multipliers for making the game more challenging without using cards (i.e. assists off multipliers).

I am happy that people like the progression system, but you'd be pretty blind to think that it wasn't changed to make loot crates more attractive.

I think the base rate of rewards is 1000cr per mile (ish), I did think about reinstalling FM6 to see how this compared.

danowat

Banned
In something other than F2P bullshit mechanic news........

I noticed the cars in the specialty dealer are sold out, only 5000(ish) units? could they be properly limited deals?

Stevey

So are all the Forza Cup events homologated?
So far it feels very sterile like I cant upgrade any cars to make them my own because it breaks homologation.
Actually having more fun upgrading /tuning cars and just doing free play events.

danowat

Banned
So are all the Forza Cup events homologated?
So far it feels very sterile like I cant upgrade any cars to make them my own because it breaks homologation.
Actually having more fun upgrading /tuning cars and just doing free play events.

Yes, they are, almost to the point that upgrading and tuning, at least in career mode, is pretty much redundant now, especially when the cars come pre-upgraded for each homologation when you buy them.

Stevey

Running low on CR?

Free Play
Suzuka
Nissan GTR Black FE
30-sec timed race
0 Drivatars
Engage!
Profit! 10,000CR every 30 sec*

*Does anyone know how to keep Free Play from changing tracks after every race? That'd really speed up the CR/XP farming.
Just hit restart instead of next race, you get the credits and XP

Lego Boss

I see some bumping at the first corner. Nothing too bad, a few scratches. You should see PCars2 - cars on top of other cars at the first corner!

I was getting this problem early on, but it seems to have settled down a bit now. Have AI set to homicidal and it seems OK.

They seem to leavea bit more space and don't go all out to take you out of the equation.

Might be that the drivatars are learning from the races that are completed?

squared

I gotta say, not a fan of the homologation system either..

the B, A, S, R etc classification was way more fun and diverse. Racing in a A-class race with your friends would bring out so many different styles of cars.

And as someone else stated in the thread, the problem is that you're both limited to the homologation rules, AND PI-limits. There's now only a few combinations of upgrades that is both "legal" and competitive. The fact that cars come pre-upgraded as "standard" just removes a lot of the fun that used to be building your own car.

And for the love of god, bring back the time attack leaderboards, with PI-classification!
That was the most fun part of FM5 and 6 :(

xrnzaaas

I noticed the cars in the specialty dealer are sold out, only 5000(ish) units? could they be properly limited deals?

The idea is interesting (positively interesting) but I hope it'll feature brand new cars and won't block access to some of the vehicles from the previous games. Also it's interesting how they'll resolve the situation with the first batch of cars when the game will become available for standard editions owners tomorrow.

Anyway I look forward to seeing these cars in the auction house for 10 million+. ;)

emjot

So what's the verdict now after some more days with the full game?

I get a kind of mixed reception on the whole credits / loot boxes situation. I just want the game to be fun as I don't have much time to play and therefore don't want to spend that on a grindfest. I was really turned down on the credits rewards in FM5 and there seem to be similar game design choices in FM7 to limit rewards.

I don't have a XBO yet, so that's a factor for me. But right now we have some good local offers here, Cuphead is also on my radar and I kinda miss a good FM game. I'm just not 100% convinced if I want to spend that amount of cash on mainly FM.

danowat

Banned

I get a kind of mixed reception on the whole credits / loot boxes situation. I just want the game to be fun as I don't have much time to play and therefore don't want to spend that on a grindfest. I was really turned down on the credits rewards in FM5 and there seem to be similar game design choices in FM7 to limit rewards.

I don't have a XBO yet, so that's a factor for me. But right now we have some good local offers here, Cuphead is also on my radar and I kinda miss a good FM game. I'm just not 100% convinced if I want to spend that amount of cash on mainly FM.

It's a good game, the racing is fun, it sounds good, and it looks good (despite the aliasing), it's much more of a grind than the previous game (IMO)

AsianOni

Looks like there are around 20k Mazda and 10k GT-R. Probably an error on their side because a quantity limit was never mentioned, only time.

Stevey

Yeah I'm enjoying it, there's just some weird design choices that I'm not the biggest fan of.
TBH I think ill enjoy it a lot more when I finish the SP and get into the multiplayer where you can set the restrictions up how you see fit.

squared

As someone who has played every Forza since FM1, hold off on FM7. The loot crate BS ruins a lot of the game, you can tell there's artificial scarcity of credits so you should get more loot crates to earn more CR and XP. The game feels designed from the ground up around the crates. Then add to the fact that it has a number of small and some not-so small bugs that should have been noticed during QA. The game doesn't feel like a beta, but it doesn't feel as finished and polished as earlier titles either.

Plus, don't give money to someone who came up with the consumable VIP mods thing, that is horseshit if anything.

Lego Boss

As someone who has played every Forza since FM1, hold off on FM7. The loot crate BS ruins a lot of the game, you can tell there's artificial scarcity of credits so you should get more loot crates to earn more CR and XP. The game feels designed from the ground up around the crates. Then add to the fact that it has a number of small and some not-so small bugs that should have been noticed during QA. The game doesn't feel like a beta, but it doesn't feel as finished and polished as earlier titles either.

Plus, don't give money to someone who came up with the consumable VIP mods thing, that is horseshit if anything.

This game seems to be really divisive. I love it, but then again, I am a casual player (although have been playing racing games for 35 years now). The racing is a lot of fun and the weather is the best I have seen (I haven't played the new PCars yet). I think that the career mode is massively improved over FM6 as it is less linear and there is a real feeling of progression.

It does seem to force you to collect cars even if you don't want them (some events only unlock after you have got enough points and the same seems to go for cars), so yes, some of the mechanics are shaky. The loot boxes seem to be the new F2P/P2W models that afflict this generation, but I suppose you can ignore them?

I think I prefer this to FH3 and is probably on par with FH2 as my fave racer of this gen.

If you want to run events like career mode without homologation it's quite easy to do so in freeplay.

Thankfully freeplay is really tricked out compared to how FM6 was at launch.

witness

I gotta say, not a fan of the homologation system either..

the B, A, S, R etc classification was way more fun and diverse. Racing in a A-class race with your friends would bring out so many different styles of cars.

And as someone else stated in the thread, the problem is that you're both limited to the homologation rules, AND PI-limits. There's now only a few combinations of upgrades that is both "legal" and competitive. The fact that cars come pre-upgraded as "standard" just removes a lot of the fun that used to be building your own car.

And for the love of god, bring back the time attack leaderboards, with PI-classification!
That was the most fun part of FM5 and 6 :(

I did not know about these changes and this all sounds horrible, good grief.

sTiTcH AU

OK so I decided to find out the difference in CR received between Forza 6 and Forza 7.

I did the same race on both games

Laguna Seca
4 laps
Max drivatars
Audi R8 LMS Ultra (not that the car matters)
Difficulty - Highly Skilled (+40% CR)

Forza 6 there is an added 54% credit for assists compared to an extra 0% for Forza 7 as well as using NO MODS.

Forza 6 I received:

Earnings - 7900CR Assists - 4266CR Difficulty - 2765CR

TOTAL - 14931CR

Forza 7 I recieved:

Earnings - 15000CR Diffuculty - 6000CR

TOTAL - 21000CR

Also its worth noting that it takes only 25k XP to level up in Forza 7 over 40k XP for Forza 6 so there is faster progression there, however in saying that CR was thrown at you for leveling up in F6 where so far for me its capped at 70k per level if I choose the 50k reward option.

Adding mods to the equation would only blow out the difference in CR even more.

squared

OK so I decided to find out the difference in CR received between Forza 6 and Forza 7.

I did the same race on both games

Laguna Seca
4 laps
Max drivatars
Audi R8 LMS Ultra (not that the car matters)
Difficulty - Highly Skilled (+40% CR)

Forza 6 there is an added 54% credit for assists compared to an extra 0% for Forza 7 as well as using NO MODS.

Forza 6 I received:

Earnings - 7900CR Assists - 4266CR Difficulty - 2765CR

TOTAL - 14931CR

Forza 7 I recieved:

Earnings - 15000CR Diffuculty - 6000CR

TOTAL - 21000CR

Also its worth noting that it takes only 25k XP to level up in Forza 7 over 40k XP for Forza 6 so there is faster progression there, however in saying that CR was thrown at you for leveling up in F6 where so far for me its capped at 70k per level if I choose the 50k reward option.

Adding mods to the equation would only blow out the difference in CR even more.

Okay, but how much more do the cars in FM7 cost? Or are they identical in price? Rewarded CR means little unless you know what you can buy with them :)

sTiTcH AU

Okay, but how much more do the cars in FM7 cost? Or are they identical in price? Rewarded CR means little unless you know what you can buy with them :)

Can't see the car in the store but I can in the car collection but no price because I own it. It's in Tier 4 which does not have a car over 500k with most being around 425k. The car is 650k in Forza 6 so at minimum 150k less in Forza 7, but I can't confirm.

Am I missing something with the homologation? After you buy a car you can still upgrade it, you just have to reset the car to default upgrades. And you can't put fat racing tires on every car. No idea why you can't buy the cars stock though.

Silly system, but there is a workaround.

GrazGamer

I just discovered the Forza series with Horizon 3.

Previously I played stuff live Codemasters GRID series or Need for Speed.

I love FH3 so have an interest in this but I'm not clear how this compares to something like GRID.

I have no interest in Gran Turismo or serious sim like games.

Does that sound like I would like this game?

danowat

Banned
I just discovered the Forza series with Horizon 3.

Previously I played stuff live Codemasters GRID series or Need for Speed.

I love FH3 so have an interest in this but I'm not clear how this compares to something like GRID.

I have no interest in Gran Turismo or serious sim like games.

Does that sound like I would like this game?

No, it doesn't.

Am I missing something with the homologation? After you buy a car you can still upgrade it, you just have to reset the car to default upgrades. And you can't put fat racing tires on every car. No idea why you can't buy the cars stock though.

Silly system, but there is a workaround.

You don't reset it to stock, you reset it to the homologation stage (which I guess is stock, as that is how they come when you buy it)

It's a good system in theory, it's been increasingly clear that the PI system isn't really fit for purpose for balancing cars, maybe it will be more refined in FM8.

xrnzaaas

I'm sure I was getting somewhere in the region of half that, I'll have to revisit it.

Didn't someone say that you earn less credits (for the same race with same rules) in career mode than in free play?

Can't see the car in the store but I can in the car collection but no price because I own it. It's in Tier 4 which does not have a car over 500k with most being around 425k. The car is 650k in Forza 6 so at minimum 150k less in Forza 7, but I can't confirm.

Kinda offtopic here, but standard Audi R8 V10 plus has quite a big price bump. In Forza 7 it costs 295k, in Forza 6 it costed 150k. Forza 6 generally had cheap cars, I don't recall any model costing more than 2 million. It's totally different to Horizon 2 & 3 where the most expensive cars costed 10 million.

squared

Ok, so I found a car list for FM6 with their prices. Here's some examples, took random cars while scrolling through the Buy Car-screen in FM7:
Nissan R34 GT-R V-Spec
FM6: 30k FM7: 210k

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR
FM6: 27k FM7: 41k

Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II
FM6: 28k FM7: 81k

Lancia Delta HF Integrale EVO
FM6: 22k FM7: 54k

Lamborghini Huracán LP 610-4
FM6: 300k FM7 320k

Hennessey Venom GT
FM6: 570k FM7: 1.15m

2017 Ford GT
FM6: 250k FM7: 445k

2008 BMW M3
FM6: 57k FM7: 94k

Obviously we need more data to calculate how more/less CR we get per races in 7, but the fact that car collecting is a bit more of a requirement now, and dividing cars down to a lot more individual classes, means you'll spend a LOT more buying cars in FM7 than in previous games. Also remember that affinity is gone from FM7, so you can't get discounts maufacturer-wise. Only on level ups, which have one specific car you can choose if you want or not.

Gone are the days when you could use one car in different PI-classes for different races. Some may like it, some may not.

danowat

Banned
Didn't someone say that you earn less credits (for the same race with same rules) in career mode than in free play?

Didn't see that, I guess that is a possibility

Ok, so I found a car list for FM6 with their prices. Here's some examples, took random cars while scrolling through the Buy Car-screen in FM7:
Nissan R34 GT-R V-Spec

Hennessey Venom GT

2017 Ford GT

2008 BMW M3

Obviously we need more data to calculate how more/less CR we get per races in 7, but the fact that car collecting is a bit more of a requirement now, and dividing cars down to a lot more individual classes, means you'll spend a LOT more buying cars in FM7 than in previous games. Also remember that affinity is gone from FM7, so you can't get discounts maufacturer-wise. Only on level ups, which have one specific car you can choose if you want or not.

Gone are the days when you could use one car in different PI-classes for different races. Some may like it, some may not.

So significant differences there.

Fredrik

The loot box talk is so overblown. What are people trying to buy?? I don't get how it's a grind fest and how you're forced to buy loot boxes etc. How? Why? I'm just driving the cars, wins some races, lose some races, occasionally adds a mod or two, and the money piles up as long as I frequently cross the finishline. And the game has just launched, why is there a rush to complete it?

GHG

Kinda offtopic here, but standard Audi R8 V10 plus has quite a big price bump. In Forza 7 it costs 295k, in Forza 6 it costed 150k. Forza 6 generally had cheap cars, I don't recall any model costing more than 2 million. It's totally different to Horizon 2 & 3 where the most expensive cars costed 10 million.

Yes, the consensus is that you earn less in the career mode races compared to free play unless you use mods.

The whole career mode is geared around funnelling people towards opening at least the most basic loot boxes to get mods, if not you are punished as the base credit rewards are lower this time.

So if you want to avoid the loot boxes entirely, don't want to use mods and just want to race then progression will be slower.

danowat

Banned
Yes, the consensus is that you earn less in the career mode races compared to free play unless you use mods.

The whole career mode is geared around funnelling people towards opening at least the most basic loot boxes to get mods, if not you are punished as the base credit rewards are lower this time.

So if you want to avoid the loot boxes entirely, don't want to use mods and just want to race then progression will be slower.

Some people just don't get it though do they.

xrnzaaas

Nissan R34 GT-R V-Spec

Hennessey Venom GT

2017 Ford GT

2008 BMW M3

What's also annoying about the prices is that they don't even try to resemble the car's value in real life (that's actually been a problem throughout the entire series, but it seems to be more noticeable in F7). If a car is popular among gamers (or if there's some other factor in play) it price spikes. It's crazy that in Forza 7 a Porsche Cayenne Turbo can cost almost twice as much as a Bentley Bentayga or a Lamborghini Urus.

Well shit. I always left free play for when I only have boring careers races left, looks like I'll have to befriend it sooner this time. :/

Fishook

I am just going through the races in order, set it to long and highly skilled and buying a new car every new race within reason. After 5 completed event I have 500K still sat in bank. I don't see the fuse unless you play casually then I can see there being a problem.

Not played any higher Tiered event yet though.

No, it doesn't.

You don't reset it to stock, you reset it to the homologation stage (which I guess is stock, as that is how they come when you buy it)

It's a good system in theory, it's been increasingly clear that the PI system isn't really fit for purpose for balancing cars, maybe it will be more refined in FM8.

It's definitely stock. Are you buying cars from the car buying screen, or from the event tile? I just bought a Nissan Z with stock parts fitted.

When I bought the 1995 ZR-1 Corvette, it was upgraded to 700 PI. When you reset it to stock upgrades, it goes down to 571 PI.

hamchan

I am just going through the races in order, set it to long and highly skilled and buying a new car every new race within reason. After 5 completed event I have 500K still sat in bank. I don't see the fuse unless you play casually then I can see there being a problem.

Not played any higher Tiered event yet though.

Well yeah, most people play games casually and keep the race length to the default instead of long.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I'm baffled by certain tracks which have no options on weather/time. I was doing the Championship and came to Laguna Seca. It was set at dusk and looked great, later on I did a free race also at Laguna Seca but it was set in the afternoon with clouds.

So the track can offer different times but there isn't nothing in free race to adjust this. It's probably happened on other tracks which I just hadn't noticed. Seems quite odd. Lastly do we have an option to toggle headlights yet?

dVeLoPe

i cant install the demo because i cant install the latest windows update im assuming the full game will be the same issue?

anyone got a pc code for like 45$?

danowat

Banned
So I'm baffled by certain tracks which have no options on weather/time. I was doing the Championship and came to Laguna Seca. It was set at dusk and looked great, later on I did a free race also at Laguna Seca but it was set in the afternoon with clouds.

So the track can offer different times but there isn't nothing in free race to adjust this. It's probably happened on other tracks which I just hadn't noticed. Seems quite odd. Lastly do we have an option to toggle headlights yet?

I believe it's all random, if what I read was true, you can't set the weather (slots) or ToD progression like you can in Project Cars, you get what you're given when you start the race, although I'd imagine career is fixed?

It's easy to test, just start a free race and Laguna, exit and start another and see if the conditions have changed.

I am not sure if we were mislead in regards to dynamic weather and ToD, or we just assumed, but I guess it is dynamic in the sense that the weather and ToD do change, you just have little control over much of it.

willbsn13

Absolutely baffled by this decision too. There are some stunning combinations, like Foggy Prague or Sunset on Long Beach that you can't recreate in Free-Play. (Unless you luck into that scenario)

Here's a video on NASCAR Oval racing AI. Kinda interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnZ7kAV0rQ

Top Bottom