• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenCritic wants to take a stand against loot boxes

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
VOlnptw.png

https://twitter.com/Open_Critic/status/917392653720854528

Thanks to Lashman for the news :)

Blam

Good thing they started this. I wanna know what kind and what is in these loot boxes before I buy the game.

L~A

While I do appreciate the sentiment (screw loot boxes, seriously), I feel that's a reviewer's job to point that kind of stuff out, not OpenCritic (or Metacritic, for that matter).

I guess this being a good thing or not depends on how easily they fall prey to the loot box hyperbole that seems to hit games sometimes, i.e. Destiny 2 being "pay to win".

BY2K

Membero Americo
While I do appreciate the sentiment (screw loot boxes, seriously), I feel that's a reviewer's job to point that kind of stuff out, not OpenCritic (or Metacritic, for that matter).

Well as we've clearly seen with Shadow of War, most will not, so... Plan B it is.

KHlover

Banned
Perhaps an icon to indicate lootboxes? It's not their job to doctor around review scores, leave that to MC.

Boke1879

I don't think it's a bad thing for them to have a general overview of the game on their site that mentions loot boxes separate from the reviews.

Too bad reviewers can't be bothered to do their jobs.

le.phat

Yes, it's actually happening!

I hope to god that the EU will go after these practices with brutal, brutal fines. Shut it all down!

lyrick

Any monetized mechanics be it progression based or superfluous should be posted on the games packaging or purchase screens similar to Restricted Content.

benzopil

OpenCritic is a review aggregator for video games. We gather game reviews from across the internet and bundle them together on a single game page. By bringing in several different critics and publications, we hope that consumers can get a complete picture when deciding whether or not a game is worth their time or money.

Sooo... Why?

I mean okay, do whatever you want with your website, but it feels like it's creators decided that Forza's and Middle-earth's scores are too high so they try to prevent people from buying these games.

If someone uses Opencritic instead of Metacritic, he's definitely not an average consumer. He already knows about this stuff, lootboxes etc.

nynt9

Hopefully they have enough granularity in their system to distinguish differences between different models. Korean MMO pay2win loot boxes are not the same thing as cosmetic loot boxes in overwatch.

RulkezX

Pandering to to more hyperbolic members of the fandom in another attempt to not be know as that other site that's not metacritic.

Kinda undermines their wholee site if they're going to try too add caveats tho review scores. Why not just start reviewing games themselves then they can score how they feel rather than try to dismiss another sites review with this.

Akronis

Sooo... Why?

I mean okay, do whatever you want with your website, but it feels like it's creators decided that Forza's and Middle-earth's scores are too high so they try to prevent people from buying these games.

If someone uses Opencritic instead of Metacritic, he's definitely not an average consumer. He already knows about this stuff, lootboxes etc.

...why would someone argue against having more information aggregated onto one site? Seriously?

As it fucking should be.

Even games on the Android Play Store shows when the game has Ads and/or In-Game Purchases. This shit needs to be labeled and to shame the devs for this shit.

Nilaul

Any monetized mechanics be it progression based or superfluous should be posted on the games packaging or purchase screens similar to Restricted Content.

I agree

Plus I wish that the EU would classify it as gambling, that would cause lots of problems for the game industry, in some countries, digital gambling is banned, meaning they won't be able to sell their products and in other countries, they would be facing really unpleasant restrictions.

Not sure that taking a stand against it is the best thing.

It's a good thing to add clear information about the inclusion of stuff like this. But their role should only be to add the information, and then let the customer decide if it's something he/she is ok with.

I reject the idea of lootboxes myself, and don't want to purchase singleplayer games that have this. But it's really just one bad idea against many, and it's up to customers to curate these things.

Top Bottom