• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Nintendo DS game reccomendations!

Ok, so my girlfriend has the DS now and so far all we've been playing on it is New Super Mario Bros. Its fucking awesome, but we're going to need some new games soon. I'm thinking Super Mario World (GBA), Super Mario 64 DS, and maybe if I get a DS too, Mario Kart DS so we can play together.

It'd be cool if we could get some non-Mario games though. She wanted Cake Mania until we watched vids on GameTrailers and saw the 4/10 reviews out there. She was also looking at Kirby Squeak Squad, but vids make it look kinda dated compared to NSMB. But it DID get some 7&8/10 reviews.

Other possibilities were Trauma Center and Pheonix Wright, though I feel GAF has blown PW out of proportion and I suspect a low replay value.

I also used to own the original DS and know how great the Castlevania games are, but I don't think she'd get into those. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Lastly, do they make a Smash Bros. game for DS? If not, what the hell is keeping them on that one? Any good fighters that we could get into?

Thanks in advance.

Hey thanks for the great tips so far, guys. Four responses and only 1 with an actual game in the reply. You guys are why GAF has a reputation for being full of elitist pricks and nerds. Please email me next time you start a thread so I can come in and shit all over it.

I've replayed PWAA 16 times.

But yeah, not great replay value for anyone normal.

PWAA is pretty much just reading a book.

Anyway, Kirby: Canvas Curse is a very unique game, and I think Worms 2 seems pretty simple to play.

Bomberman Land Touch! is a good mini-game/battle game, too.

fernoca

Try:
-Cooking Mama
-Kirby Canvas Curse
-Yoshi's Island 2
-Pokemon: Diamond Version
-Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
-Trauma Center
-Final Fantasy III
-Sonic Rush
-Hotel Dusk: Room 215
-Diddy Kong Racing

And on September 10th:
180307b.jpg

pubba

I also think your gf will like Kirby Canvas Curse. It's relatively easy and the controls are unique and fun. Cute graphics too :D

Does she like puzzle games? If so - METEOS! Then if you buy a DS for yourself, you can play against each other using one game cart. It's brilliant fun

pareidoliais.jpg

Zeed

Banned
Fuck, where to start? Jesus the DS library is monstrous.

Get Kirby Fucking Canvas Curse, Meteos, uh...Advance Wars...hm...Trauma Center, definitely...your girlfriend might like Animal Crossing. Hm...Puzzle Quest is good. God I can't even remember them all.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am playing Phoenix Wright and I know I will probably play through it like another 20 times like someone else said but its just because the game is so funny and so amazing and so awesome. Plus its 20 dollars almost everywhere if you can find it. So so worth it. I think I might go to law school because of Phoenix Wright.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AlternativeUlster said:
I am playing Phoenix Wright and I know I will probably play through it like another 20 times like someone else said but its just because the game is so funny and so amazing and so awesome. Plus its 20 dollars almost everywhere if you can find it. So so worth it. I think I might go to law school because of Phoenix Wright.

Exactly, The first two games could be bought new for $20 each.

Seriously though:

-Mario Kart DS
-Tetris DS
-Rune Factory (for her, but it's got WiFi --although that's not important because you need to buy AC)
-Animal Crossing
-Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
-Castlevania Portrait of Ruin
-Pokémon Pearl or Diamond
-Star Fox DS
-Hotel Dusk
-Phoenix Wright, all of them
-Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure
-Advance Wars
-Kirby and the motherfucking Canvas Curse
-Elite Beat Agents
-Trauma Center
-Mega Man ZX
-Puzzle Quest
-Planet Puzzle League

Coming soon:

-Contra 4
-Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
-Drawn to Life
-FFXII Revenant Wings
-Advance Wars DS 2 lol

And Nintendo has announced a Mario Party title is in development for the DS, if you like that stuff.

Vexidus

Phoenix Wright is indeed a good buy, and here are some of my recommendations:

A must buy, excellent adventure/interactive novel:
51CC0PRMF9L._SS400_.jpg

Great puzzle game similar to sudoku, very addictive:
51R7KTjxuvL._SS400_.jpg

Best platformer on DS:
616MQCAF11L._SS500_.jpg

Another great platformer, very fun and cute:
61EVYC12Z0L._SS500_.jpg

Must buy, tons of games plus online play:
517GTWKXANL._SS500_.jpg

Similar to Lemmings, great fun:
61ARZWT3CHL._SS500_.jpg

Highly addictive cooking game, somewhat short but fun:
51XD3PN50EL._SS500_.jpg

Excellent "non-game" where you create music by interacting with plankton, very artistic and immersive:
51J2STG8KDL._SS500_.jpg

I'm sure my list will contain the same games as others have said.

Mario Kart DS
Castlevania Dos/PoR
Animal Crossing WW
Yoshi's Island DS
NSMB
FF3
Hotel Dusk
Elite Beat Agents
Wario Ware Touched
Advance Wars DS
Age of Empires
Super Princess Peach
Tony Hawk AS/DJ
Viewtiful Joe
Pokemon
Planet Puzzle League
Big Brain Academy
Mario and Luigi:piT

Those are all off the top of my head, all games I've owned and enjoyed at one time or another.

Mario Kart
Sonic Rush
Phoenix Wright
Advance Wars
Tetris
Pokemon
Castlevania (both of them)
Star Fox
New Super Mario Bros

I won't repeat the same games others have already mentioned, but after you check those out you might wanna try Trace Memories. It's an graphical adventure game with some really cool puzzles thrown in there and a not so hideous story. My sister got a kick out of it and I thought it was nice enough. Beware though it's short, like 6 hours short, though there's some replay value if you missed some of the optional puzzles. I wouldn't buy it full price, but if you can get it on the cheap I'd go for it, I think your gf might like it and so might you. Also Nintendogs of course, get the one with the Pug, my girlfriend loves that one.

Top Bottom