• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zapper packaging + Link's Crossbow Training gameplay details

Crushed

Fry Daddy
65z5086.jpg

From Nintendo's press site:

Link's Crossbow Training™
Format: Wii™
Launch Date: 11/19/07
ESRB: T (Teen): Fantasy Violence
Game Type: Shooting
Accessories: Wii Zapper™ – included (requires Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™)
Players: 1-4 (turn-based)
Developer: EAD

KEY INFORMATION
Link returns from The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess to pick up the Wii Zapper and take aim at a host of targets in this shooting-gallery-style game.

* Anyone can pick up the Wii Zapper and become a master marksman in the quick-play shooting galleries of Link's Crossbow Training. Dozens of fast-paced stages offer a wide variety of game play, from shooting stationary targets to defending a supply wagon from onrushing hordes of enemies. Multiplayer modes let players and their friends share a Wii Zapper to shoot for the high score.

* Link's Crossbow Training comes bundled with the Wii Zapper. After a few rounds of Link's Crossbow Training, players will be more than ready to pick up any of the future Wii Zapper titles, like Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2, Ghost Squad™ and Resident Evil®: The Umbrella Chronicles.

Using the Wii Zapper: The Wii Zapper requires the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, housing both in a comfortable and intuitive frame. The control stick on the Nunchuk controls player movement (on stages that allow player movement), while simply aiming the Wii Zapper moves the targeting reticule on the screen. Pulling the trigger fires Link's crossbow. By aiming off screen, players can turn Link to face in a new direction (again, on stages that allow this).

Link's Crossbow Training contains three basic game styles: target shooting, defender and ranger. There are 27 stages in total, and these categories represent only generally how each individual stage operates. Each stage's goal is to earn the highest score possible within the time limit. All rounds can be played with multiple players: Players pass the Wii Zapper around and then play one at a time and compete for the high score.

Target Shooting: In target-shooting rounds, players shoot bull's-eyes as they pop up on the screen. In early stages, targets are stationary. As the game difficulty increases in later levels, the targets move. Hitting the center of the bull's-eye nets more points, and hitting targets in succession without missing earns combo multipliers. Link can aim anywhere on the screen.

Defender: In defender rounds, players remain stationary but can look and aim in all directions - sometimes even in a full 360 degrees - by aiming off screen. Hordes of enemies assault Link, and he must fight them off. These battles have a great deal of variety, from fighting off skeletons in a desert to defending a wagon from boar-riding Bokoblins.

Ranger: In ranger rounds, players can move throughout the level using the control stick and aim anywhere they want by aiming the Wii Zapper wherever they want to look. In these missions, Link storms enemy encampments, fights his way through a forest and seeks out his foes while exploring the environments.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Reading the details surrounding the game, it sounds pretty fun. I might have to pick this up.

Still no media for the game?

bryehn

When's this due? RE: Umbrella Chronicles is out Nov. 13 (NA).

Wired didn't really like the zapper too much, said it's easier to play without it

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Added the part I only just now noticed: it's rated T (obviously, since it's based on TP), and EAD is the developer.

Kyosuke

Defender mode sounds like fun. If it's executed well enough, I might buy this but .. I probably won't. Too many games in Q4, and I'm not interested in Ghost Squad or RE:UC.

Nintendo is fucking insane and I love it. 3 years ago, who would've thought we'd be discussing a plastic holster made to keep a Wii Remote and a Nunchuck in place like a gun while we crossbow train with Link? It's surreal.

blame space said:
Nintendo is fucking insane and I love it. 3 years ago, who would've thought we'd be discussing a plastic holster made to keep a Wii Remote and a Nunchuck in place like a gun while we crossbow train with Link? It's surreal.
Yup yup I love it! After reading the description of the game, I'm even more psyched for it! :D

CTLance

I still can't see why I should be forced to use that plastic shell, it looks like it's actually less comfortable then using the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo like usual.

Strange... but the Link FPS segments sound interesting.

CTLance said:
I still can't see why I should be forced to use that plastic shell, it looks like it's actually less comfortable then using the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo like usual.

Strange... but the Link FPS segments sound interesting.

Well, you’re obviously not forced to use the shell, but it may be that this particular game – by virtue of the weapon used matching the design of the shell more closely, and by the fact that it has been designed with the shell in mind – may control better than without.

It still sounds utterly barmy, and the idea of a Zelda FPS is a hard one to swallow, but I’m willing to wait for media & impressions before ruling it out.

vareon said:
A Teen rating? For a pack-in (mini)game? Weird.

They don't want more press reports about those criticizing them for marketing a "gun" to kids. Getting this up to a T was probably very intentional for the sake of media relations.

I think this will work out well for them. With three modes and 27 levels, there's quite a bit of substance for a pack in with a $20 peripheral. It'll do very, very well this holiday. Maybe even be difficult to find until Jan (depending, of course, on supply decisions).

zelda fps???

wacky.

actually, the wackiest thing about it, is that it seems like it's designed to TRAIN non gamers how to play FPSs with wii controls.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This thing is a waste of time in my opinion. Nintedno should have done a REAL game to launch alongside this accessory, like Mario Kart Wii.

Wouldn't Mario Kart be a bit hard to control with this? I mean, each to their own, but...

NeonZ

Ranger: In ranger rounds, players can move throughout the level using the control stick and aim anywhere they want by aiming the Wii Zapper wherever they want to look. In these missions, Link storms enemy encampments, fights his way through a forest and seeks out his foes while exploring the environments.

So... Ranger mode is basically a Zelda FPS...? Why aren't they including a real multiplayer then...?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
alistairw said:
Wouldn't Mario Kart be a bit hard to control with this? I mean, each to their own, but...

No no no they have that stupid plastic wheel for Mario Kart. Much simpler!

test_account

XP-39C²
Shooting a normal bow with a gun wouldnt be "realistic"/look good, so i'm glad they chose to use a crowsbow so it fits the controller better :)

Is this the September suprise btw?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
VOOK said:
No no no they have that stupid plastic wheel for Mario Kart. Much simpler!

I was 'aving a laff :(

Sorry...I'm still working and I get a bit bored sometimes.

dkeane

FoneBone said:
I wonder if there's any chance of NES Zapper and/or Super Scope emulation on VC with this thing.
The zapper is just a piece of plastic, it doesn't do a thing. Crossbow Training sounds like it'll be a cool little game though.

Taker666

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This thing is a waste of time in my opinion. Nintedno should have done a REAL game to launch alongside this accessory, like Mario Kart Wii.

I'd say the opposite. What they should have done for the casuals was to bundle it with a minigame collection and call it "Wii Play 2 - Zapper".

They shouldn't have a hardcore franchise with a teen rating like Zelda.

They should have had stuff like Can Shoot, Mii paintball/ Mii Tomato splat/ Mii Pie shoot (wher you use the Zapper to fire pies at Mii's, Bugsy Malone style), firefighting (Zapper as a firehose), and Ghost Zapp (maybe a first person mini game with the Zapper used to stun and then vacuum up ghosts).

Xun said:
It's not an FPS, it's a third person shooting game.
well, sounds like it's not an fps in the same way that stranglehold, max payne and gears of war aren't... but it doesn't change how i feel about it.

ziran

Link's Crossbow Training™
Format: Wii™
Launch Date: 11/19/07
ESRB: T (Teen): Fantasy Violence
Game Type: Shooting
Accessories: Wii Zapper™ – included (requires Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™)
Players: 1-4 (turn-based)
Developer: EAD
:D

As speculated, this could've been part of Twilight Princess's Wii experiments, and held back for a more appropriate time, i.e. the Zapper.

Sounds great, especially now EAD has been confirmed. Looking forward to it.

Xun

More proof it's third person.

"The game looked beautiful," my source said. "I'm pretty sure it was running on the Twilight Princess engine. It's a third-person game, and you had some control over Link. While the video was way too short to get a good idea of the gameplay, it looks like a light-gun inspired Zelda title."

Hardware accessories never work, why the hell haven't they learned. This will not sell enough to make it a worthy investment. Actually maybe it will. At $20, which means it will be £20 here in UK. It's just not needed to play games, and so people won't buy it. They should've learned this by now, unless they just wanted to do a bit of service to the Hardcores gamers only. Unlikely. Where the fuck is my Mother.well she's at work, but I am sure GAF knows what I'm on about.

ziran said:
:D

As speculated, this could've been part of Twilight Princess's Wii experiments, and held back for a more appropriate time, i.e. the Zapper.

Sounds great, especially now EAD has been confirmed. Looking forward to it.

There is really nothing to be happy about, because EAD with all their talent, is wasting time and resources for a stupid idiot compilation of mini-games like that. This is really a thing that make me angry ! Instead, they should make a real game that support the Wii Zapper and launch both at the same time.

It is clear that Nintendo wanna repeat the Wii Play success with this thing and increase the Zelda popularity too, but for the first time I really hope that it will bomb, because it would be horrible to make this genre of thing the standard.

Top Bottom