• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zapper packaging + Link's Crossbow Training gameplay details

I still think Nintendo made a huge mistake by just making it a plastic shell and not its own device. It should have been something only the Wiimote plugs into, no nunchuck required.

This game is going to have a huge competition factor. Nintendo should have put a WiiConnect24 option to allow a leaderboard option since this is a score based game.

Koomaster

rhino4evr said:
like someone else said.. they should have released it with a Mii-oriented title. How about a compilation of all the old NES light gun games with more modern graphics and the use of Mii's? I think it will still sell well. For one, it's cheap and it comes with a game. Which is exactly the reason Wii took off so quickly in the first place.

I have a feeling Zelda Crossbow will play BETTER with the Wii Zapper becuase it was programmed using it.

However other light gun games like RE and GS will probably suffer due to the control being off. They should impliment a choice of either w or w/o zapper control options.
I don't know about GS, but I just read today on I think IGN that RE will have 4 methods of control, two of them involve just the regular wiimote/chuck, and the other two involve the zapper periphrial. So I think they are giving you a choice and designing games to play with it.

Let me see if I can find it...
[url=http://wii.ign.com/articles/820/820307p1.html]IGN[/url] said:
The different control methods - four total - are decent all around, but the game doesn't allow for full customization, so you'll have two Wii-mote selections, and two Zapper selections total.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
skeptical. very.

for the time being i'll just order a really quality pizza, watch a good movie, and presume the fun will have equal intensity and duration

Sagitario

Nintendo should have asked Capcom for permission to use her...

2m5zb44.jpg

Ehhh.... I really don't know about this one. EAD may have finally dropped the ball. Need to see some screens/gameplay movies first.

mentalfloss said:
Ehhh.... I really don't know about this one. EAD may have finally dropped the ball. Need to see some screens/gameplay movies first.

For what it is, how can it fail? EAD don't know how to take existing gameplay mechanics and make a few score based challenges around them?

DeadTrees

DemDereNads said:
Wait... the Link's crossbow training wasn't a joke when I heard it a month or so ago? :/
It's still a joke, the only difference is that now you'll have to pay $19.99 to hear the punch line.

MrDaravon

When I was in Gamestop this morning, one person bought the grips that go on the classic controller that are kinda shaped like PS1/2/3 controller handles (had never even seen these before), and someone else bought the retarded wii sports attachments for the wiimote. Anyone who thinks this will not be a HUGE fucking seller at $19.99 has no conception of the market of people buying this crap.

Jiggy

GDGF said:
I don't want the Wii Zapper, but I do want this game.

Torn.
Same, but not torn. I'm buying.
I'm sure the game will be worth at least $10, and even if it isn't worth $20, well... I'll consider the extra dollars to have gone to annoying GAF. That always counts for some kind of psychological effect or other on the internets.

TheGreatDave said:
The punchline is going to be a ton of people here liking it.
I think I will.

My favorite parts of TP were the Pointer parts. I'm hoping for a slower paced Max Payne feel.

$20 for a game, and nothing for a useless, ugly hunk of plastic.

I want this just for the crossbow training.

I'm not sure if I'll use the zapper though. I'm fine without it for games like Umbrella corps, and I thought Ghost Squad only used the wiimote?

The zapper just adds extra plastic to any lightgun style game that doesn't use the nunchuck.

vareon

TheGreatDave said:
The punchline is going to be a ton of people here liking it.

Me included. Haven't seen any screenshots whatsoever, but if it plays great, I'll buy it. And get a free plastic.

it would have looked more like a gun if it weren't for these over-protective parents these days. The zapper for NES was right on the dot.

SumGamer

I've been wondering about this thing. The design is quite strange. I mean, they have the trigger up front. So if you are right handed, you will have your right hand in the front and you can bring the gun up to your eye level like a gun unless you use the left eye. If you simply use the left hand pulling the trigger then again, wouldnt it feel kinda strange to be controlling the nunchuck with right hand and pulling trigger with your left?

Guess, I'm thinking thing too deeply.

Lobster

Banned
I still don't see how this resembles a crossbow..maybe a crossbow gun..Ill probably just get it for the Zelda game.

SumGamer said:
I've been wondering about this thing. The design is quite strange. I mean, they have the trigger up front. So if you are right handed, you will have your right hand in the front and you can bring the gun up to your eye level like a gun unless you use the left eye. If you simply use the left hand pulling the trigger then again, wouldnt it feel kinda strange to be controlling the nunchuck with right hand and pulling trigger with your left?

Guess, I'm thinking thing too deeply.
Well devs could always give you the option to switch B and Z (I think Ghost Squad actually does just that, dunno about RE:UC).

Lobster said:
I still don't see how this resembles a crossbow..maybe a crossbow gun..Ill probably just get it for the Zelda game.
Look at the small pic of Link, the crossbow design matches the Zapper (minus the prod of course).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The idea behind this is great.

Zelda Fans will buy it, just because of Link. (like me)

People who normaly don't play games except for WiiSports etc. will probably get this, have fun, and maybe buy Twilight Princess.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Look at the small pic of Link, the crossbow design matches the Zapper (minus the prod of course).

Oh right. So I guess a crossbow will replace his bow in the next game. Should mean that its stronger and faster.

For some reason I imagine one of the ranger levels will be at that Gerudo place in TP.

SCReuter

Not sure if old, but the new issue of Nintendo Power features screenshots of Link's Crossbow Training.

Couple quick notes:

- Both first and third person perspectives are present.
- Locations are ripped straight out of Twilight Princess, if not slightly modified.
- Everything is non-mirrored.
- Ranger mode appears to have a radar in the lower right hand corner.
- Graphically it looks identical to Twilight Princess.

Lobster

Banned
Some areas I can confirm.

-Snowpeak ruins.
-The bridge
-The farm where you herd goats
-The place inhabited with moblins right before the Gerudo Colosseum
-The hidden village(the one with the cat lady)
-Where the Gorons live

Theres also a temple I can't recognize.

Lobster said:
Some areas I can confirm.

-Snowpeak ruins.
-The bridge
-The farm where you herd goats
-The place inhabited with moblins right before the Gerudo Colosseum
-The hidden village(the one with the cat lady)
-Where the Gorons live

Theres also a temple I can't recognize.

Every area from the game is in it...

Snowpeak Ruins.
Hyrule Field (Bridge of Eldin is in this part).
Ordon Village.
The Lost Woods.
Kakariko Village.
Hidden Village.
Lake Hylia.
Gerudo Desert.
Zora's River.
Death Mountain.
Hyrule Castle.

This next part is not confirmed, but potentially some of the "temples" will be featured in it, and some of the ranger stages will have boss battles. The game takes place in Twilight Princess' world, though I am not being told if it is "during" the game (alternate universe type thing) or after the game's events.

I'm not sure if we can post the images from Nintendo Power (even cropped to look like screenshots) since it is an English publication.

Last tidbit: Princess Zelda may be unlockable if you obtain high enough scores in every stage. This is completely unconfirmed as the wording of it from my contact is more of a "tease" than anything solid.

Ugh, and now I get to wait until monday to know for sure...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
TSA said:
The game takes place in Twilight Princess' world, though I am not being told if it is "during" the game (alternate universe type thing) or after the game's events.
Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Chronicles.

Oh shit...fanboy trollfest commence in 3...2...1...

The game is NOT mirrored (it's the GCN version of Hyrule), but Link is RIGHTY.

Oh ho ho ho ho. Flamewars GO!

Lobster

Banned
TSA said:

I got confused by the Goron pic because it wasn't mirrored lol :\ I thought they put in a whole new area.

TSA said:

It's Link's evil (and opposite) twin brother, Klink!
Which is why he's using a crossbow instead of a Bow!

Top Bottom