• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zapper packaging + Link's Crossbow Training gameplay details

SantaC

TSA said:
Oh shit...fanboy trollfest commence in 3...2...1...

The game is NOT mirrored (it's the GCN version of Hyrule), but Link is RIGHTY.

Oh ho ho ho ho. Flamewars GO!

dragona will spew fire

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wha?

Why in the WORLD would they make Link RIGHT HANDED? There's no reason for it that I can see, ESPECIALLY with the "Zapper" being a dual-hand device.

_leech_ said:
Crossbow? Doesn't Link use a normal bow?

The Wii Zapper wouldn't work for a normal bow because normal bows don't handle anything like guns, but crossbows do. That's why it's a crossbow, I'm sure.

You really couldn't do a bow addon. I mean, it'd need to be a bow, pretty much... not exactly economical, or very plausible for that matter. :)

studio810 said:
The zapper is just a piece of plastic, it doesn't do a thing. Crossbow Training sounds like it'll be a cool little game though.

True, but this makes an even better case for them working on Zapper/Menacer/Justifier/Super Scope emulation, I think... that would be great. Terminator 2: The Arcade Game on the Wii? :D

... I hope... I mean, they haven't even bothered to do Controller Pak emulation for N64 games yet, as far as I know, which is probably a big part of why there aren't any third-party N64 games out on VC yet... hoping for this when they haven't even done that might be asking for too much. Even so, it's so obvious that they really should have done it by now...

TSA said:
Last tidbit: Princess Zelda may be unlockable if you obtain high enough scores in every stage. This is completely unconfirmed as the wording of it from my contact is more of a "tease" than anything solid.

After the hugely disappointing (when they proved to be wrong) and totally false rumors of Zelda having a greater role in Twilight Princess (in fact, she had her least active role in a major-console Zelda game since LttP), I won't believe this without proof.

A Black Falcon said:
After the hugely disappointing (when they proved to be wrong) and totally false rumors of Zelda having a greater role in Twilight Princess (in fact, she had her least active role in a major-console Zelda game since LttP), I won't believe this without proof.

Nintendo's own staff said Zelda would have a huge role in Twilight Princess publicly, so it was never rumor, it was flat out lying from the horse's mouth. But I'm on your side, until I see it in-game or "Pics or it didn't happen", I'm not assuming it is completely true.

TSA said:
Nintendo's own staff said Zelda would have a huge role in Twilight Princess publicly, so it was never rumor, it was flat out lying from the horse's mouth. But I'm on your side, until I see it in-game or "Pics or it didn't happen", I'm not assuming it is completely true.

They did? I forgot that.. I remember all the rumors based on the trailers, though. As I said, I was really disappointed once I actually played the game... :(

Of course it's still awesome, as the Zelda aspect of the plot is one of the only major negatives about the game, but as the second-most important character in the series, I expected more... I don't want "rescue the princess" plots anymore and I felt like that's what it pretty much boiled down to. Oh well. On topic... reviews of the Zapper do seem mixed. I hope it ends up being good because it is a really good idea... even if they do end up being more easily played with the Wiimote held normally, though, light gun games can be fun, even if they are simple, so seeing them come back isn't bad, particularly if, as I said, we see VC versions of the light gun games from the NES, Genesis, and SNES with light-gun support... you can do it, Nintendo. We know you can (referring to the "Mario Kart 64 doesn't support controller pak ghost saves because we can't do it" or whatever ridiculous excuse they came up with to cover "we don't want to bother to program some N64 controller pak emulation"...)... you just have to want to. :)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
TSA said:
Oh shit...fanboy trollfest commence in 3...2...1...

The game is NOT mirrored (it's the GCN version of Hyrule), but Link is RIGHTY.

Oh ho ho ho ho. Flamewars GO!
actually, he is lefty. if you notice in the first pic, this left hand is forward. because the Wii zapper is ass backwards, he is in fact lefty in that pic.

Somebody else said this.

How he is holding it - his arms/hands are on the "right' side of his body, right hand on "trigger" left "aiming" - this is righty orientation. That's how I held the controller at E3. Z-button is fire, and is on the Nunchuk piece, with is in right hand...right?

I tried googling/wikipediaing "right-handed Crossbow orientation" to get a pic of how people hold it, but nothing's come up.

Edit: He's holding it like this guy:
5111053.JPG

I mean, just imagine lifting it up aiming it like a gun like this:
Shoot5.jpg

That's a righty.

See these screens from in-game:

link-right-1.jpg

link-right-2.jpg

link-right-3.gif

Show his orientation like in Twilight Princess for Wii:

zeldabow1-1.jpg

I mean, if you need a visual of somebody holding the Wii Zapper, here's Mr. Crecente to demonstrate:
MOV00624_gawker.flv.jpg

Lobster

Banned
TSA said:

Well they kind of told the truth. You could 1/2 play as Zelda in TP :)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TSA said:

Didn't Zelda have a very active role in Twilight Princess, at least compared to other games in the past?

I mean, her storyline importance was increased, her role was increased, and it seems like her time in the game itself increased... the only thing that DIDN'T happen was making her a playable character.

Wind Waker and Ocarina both had an active Zelda, but Twilight Princess had an active Zelda in her role as the princess... or so it would seem to me.

SantaC

DavidDayton said:
Didn't Zelda have a very active role in Twilight Princess, at least compared to other games in the past?

I mean, her storyline importance was increased, her role was increased, and it seems like her time in the game itself increased... the only thing that DIDN'T happen was making her a playable character.

Wind Waker and Ocarina both had an active Zelda, but Twilight Princess had an active Zelda in her role as the princess... or so it would seem to me.

I dunno, I felt that OoT Zelda was more active than TP Zelda.

the battle on horseback with Gannon when Zelda is shooting arrows (a crossbow?)
was one of my favorite parts of Twilight Princess.

it gives me hope she'll be playable in Crossbow Training.
plus there's that rumor about Zelda being the main character in the next Zelda game...
i know its a long shot

DavidDayton said:

Well, if you mean by active role in her Princess Zelda form, then maybe in Twilight Princess she had more screen time as that...but...she was robed for more than half the time, hiding. In the end, she helped out on horseback, but it was just like in The Wind Waker, where Zelda is assisting you in the fight against Ganondorf. But you can't ignore all the roles she's played. In The Wind Waker, she had a very active role in the game and story. In Ocarina of Time, she had a good role, too. But I mean, it went from fearless pirate Tetra, who's personality remained the same even when she was told she was a princess, to Princess Zelda standing around in a castle doing nothing for most of the game.

[WARNING PHANTOM HOURGLASS SPOILER FROM HERE UNTIL THE END]

Oh, and in Phantom Hourglass, all that good will Tetra earned the Princess Zelda role will be destroyed as Nintendo reduced her to nothing more than a helpless damsel after the introduction.

But I mean, it wasn't only her role, but Ganon's role.

Yoshiyuki Oyama said:
Finally, no discussion of TP's enemies can end without mentioning Ganon. I know that everyone's wondering what's going on with Link's old nemesis. All I can say now is, we're preparing more than you could possibly ever, ever, ever expect...

LIES.

Darkpen

Banned
DavidDayton said:

I agree. As a character, her importance of being a princess was greatly increased, where as in Windwaker,
her role was just thrust upon her, and sat in the back seat for the rest of the ride, despite the great amount of participation she had prior to her revelation
. However, one could say her role as Sheik was of great importance in OoT, and rivals that of TP.

I guess what I'm saying is, TP and OoT had Zeldas that knew their roles from the get-go, and ated as such, but her prominence was, imo, greatest in TP, especially considering that CS where the castle's downfall is explained.

TSA said:
Edit: This shit better not get me banned -_-
Edit 2: I have no clue where those images originated from, I just found them on some random forum. ~ My Official Statement.
Edit 3: That icon above the "defender" mode radar in the third screen is the Wii Zapper.

at least we appreciate your banable offense

Darkpen said:
I agree. As a character, her importance of being a princess was greatly increased, where as in Windwaker,
her role was just thrust upon her, and sat in the back seat for the rest of the ride, despite the great amount of participation she had prior to her revelation
. However, one could say her role as Sheik was of great importance in OoT, and rivals that of TP.

Anyone who came out of Twilight Princess thinking Princess Zelda was the "biggest" Princess in that game needs their head examined. Her role of a princess was to 1) abdicate her thrown to save her people (in which they were still doomed to death anyway as the Shadow Beasts were sent to kill them all in the Twilight areas) and 2) Give her life force/Triforce Piece/whatever to Midna to allow her to survive in the "Light World" of Hyrule without hiding in the shadows. As a plot device, she was mainly there for exposition and as a deus es machina (Oh nos! Midna is going to die, and she somohow, without explanation, could save her. Then she could magically warp her and Link to some void as Ganondorf was about to maul them with his horse and ghost riders). The story was driven completely by Midna's backstory and the character Midna, and Zelda was reduced to what I said above, Link was almost reduced to the "co-star". And you-know-who was thrown in as a complete fan service, but you could have totally replaced him with anyone and the story would have been the same. Plus, his existance greatly diminished the role of Zant, who inexplicably goes mad near the end in the most poorly developed character change (and no, he began going mad before his link with you-know-who was severed/weakened/whatever) ever.

Nintendo tried to do a fanservice while attempting to go in a really original direction. Nintendo should have either gone all out in one direction or the other. The "happy medium" they went with resulted in a very good game that was just all over the place at times...

Darkpen

Banned
TSA said:
Anyone who came out of Twilight Princess thinking Princess Zelda was the "biggest" Princess in that game needs their head examined. Her role of a princess was to 1) abdicate her thrown to save her people (in which they were still doomed to death anyway as the Shadow Beasts were sent to kill them all in the Twilight areas) and 2) Give her life force/Triforce Piece/whatever to Midna to allow her to survive in the "Light World" of Hyrule without hiding in the shadows. As a plot device, she was mainly there for exposition and as a deus es machina (Oh nos! Midna is going to die, and she somohow, without explanation, could save her. Then she could magically warp her and Link to some void as Ganondorf was about to maul them with his horse and ghost riders). The story was driven completely by Midna's backstory and the character Midna, and Zelda was reduced to what I said above, Link was almost reduced to the "co-star".
The point of the discussion is of how Zelda's role increased in comparison to older titles :|

Of course Midna was the most important character in the entire game, no one's arguing that :|

DavidDayton said:

TSA said:
Well, if you mean by active role in her Princess Zelda form, then maybe in Twilight Princess she had more screen time as that...but...she was robed for more than half the time, hiding. In the end, she helped out on horseback, but it was just like in The Wind Waker, where Zelda is assisting you in the fight against Ganondorf. But you can't ignore all the roles she's played. In The Wind Waker, she had a very active role in the game and story. In Ocarina of Time, she had a good role, too. But I mean, it went from fearless pirate Tetra, who's personality remained the same even when she was told she was a princess, to Princess Zelda standing around in a castle doing nothing for most of the game.

[WARNING PHANTOM HOURGLASS SPOILER FROM HERE UNTIL THE END]

Oh, and in Phantom Hourglass, all that good will Tetra earned the Princess Zelda role will be destroyed as Nintendo reduced her to nothing more than a helpless damsel after the introduction.

But I mean, it wasn't only her role, but Ganon's role.

Hmm... I guess that I don't differentiate much between 'masked/disguised Zelda' and 'revealed Zelda' because either way it's the same character. So in OoT Zelda has a big role both as Zelda (young and old) and maybe an even bigger one as Sheik, and in WW she has a huge role as Tetra and a somewhat lesser one as Zelda... she is kidnapped at one point in each game, but compared to the lengths of the games it's never for long -- just for the last couple of hours of OoT (ie from just before the last dungeon to the first boss, Ganondorf, and that's it) and for a bit longer in WW, but her strong roles in the rest of those games makes up for that, I felt... and I was hoping/expecting something similar from TP, just with hopefully an even stronger role.

Instead, they went the exact opposite direction. Zelda does almost nothing in the game. So she surrenders to the bad guy. Then what? She's locked up. She sits there, feeling sorry for herself, for the rest of the game (or at least until a certain cutscene well into the game, upon which point she vanishes until near the end). You don't ever see her except for three or four cutscenes and the final moments. Midna has a huge role, and a mostly decent one, but Zelda? Really, she feels kind of tossed in because they felt that Zelda had to be in the game, not because they actually had a relevant role in mind for her. They'd have been better off just not including her, MM/LA style... and the same goes for Ganondorf, as you suggest. His role in TP is equally shoehorned into a game where he really doesn't belong or have a real role in... "We need Ganondorf, so force him in! Who cares if it makes no sense and hurts the character? If we're doing it to Zelda too why not spread it around..."

It didn't have to be that way, of course. If Link and Midna could get in to see Zelda, there's no reason why they couldn't have taken her out... I still don't know why they (Nintendo) didn't do that. I guess that they didn't want to include her as a major character. If she's the nominal leader of Hyrule, shouldn't she be doing something to organize an opposition or see what's left of the kingdom or something, and perhaps also fighting? Sitting depressed in that tower does nothing!

On the subject of Phantom Hourglass, absolutely agreed! If TP's plot and role for Zelda disappointed me greatly (and it really did), what I've heard of Phantom Hourglass is perhaps even worse. Here it's a Zelda that has previously HAD an active role, reduced to "damsel in distress"? What the heck is wrong with Nintendo... :(

TSA said:
Anyone who came out of Twilight Princess thinking Princess Zelda was the "biggest" Princess in that game needs their head examined. Her role of a princess was to 1) abdicate her thrown to save her people (in which they were still doomed to death anyway as the Shadow Beasts were sent to kill them all in the Twilight areas) and 2) Give her life force/Triforce Piece/whatever to Midna to allow her to survive in the "Light World" of Hyrule without hiding in the shadows. As a plot device, she was mainly there for exposition and as a deus es machina (Oh nos! Midna is going to die, and she somohow, without explanation, could save her. Then she could magically warp her and Link to some void as Ganondorf was about to maul them with his horse and ghost riders). The story was driven completely by Midna's backstory and the character Midna, and Zelda was reduced to what I said above, Link was almost reduced to the "co-star". And you-know-who was thrown in as a complete fan service, but you could have totally replaced him with anyone and the story would have been the same. Plus, his existance greatly diminished the role of Zant, who inexplicably goes mad near the end in the most poorly developed character change (and no, he began going mad before his link with you-know-who was severed/weakened/whatever) ever.

Again, agreed. I just don't see at all where the "TP Zelda had an important role" people are coming from... from my perspective the EXACT OPPOSITE thing happened: Zelda is relegated to "damsel in distress and no more" again, like LttP! Her role is the worst it's been in any Zelda game since LttP, and that's not good... I mean, LA and MM didn't have a 'rescue Zelda' plot. WW and OoT I discussed -- she has an active role to mitigate the small 'rescue' plots. OoT Zelda particularly has an active role... best in the series really, I think. Oracles Zelda doesn't do much, and does need to be rescued several times, but you spend most of the game trying to rescue other (female) characters, not Zelda... not much better, really, but for some reason I didn't care. The plot's not all that important in Oracles... Four Swords/etc don't have Zelda or rescue plots as far as I know... though I didn't play FSA as much as I'd like. Haven't played Minish Cap.

Anyway, of those three points where she had a 'role' in TP, as you say it wasn't much of one. In the first choice she really had no choice at all -- surrender and have the kingdom be slowly be destroyed, or don't surrender and have the kingdom be destroyed slightly faster. In the second one she just acts as a plot point to keep the focus on Midna, and then is dispensed with until the end, when they throw in a
'Zelda with a bow' scene that does not make up for what they did to her for the entire game before that point.
. Midna is really the only thing that almost saves TP's plot from being bad... but because of all the problems brought in by their efforts to include characters that should either not have been in the game or should have been given good, strong roles (one or the other! NOT the bad half-effort we ended up with!), I can't quite say that TP's plot ended up being anything other than poor.

There are, of course, plenty of nice sidequests/moments along the way, as there are in every Zelda game since LttP, but this is about the overall plot, not any of that stuff.

Lobster

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I hope the crossbow game "patches" TP with a new dungeon for the crossbow.
[/believe]

Oh man. All that talk about adding dungeons into Zelda through Wii connect 24 before the game was released makes me so dissapointed :(

Ramenman

Hmm, didn't give a shit about this game apart from the joke, but :

TSA said:
Every area from the game is in it...

Snowpeak Ruins.
Hyrule Field (Bridge of Eldin is in this part).
Ordon Village.
The Lost Woods.
Kakariko Village.
Hidden Village.
Lake Hylia.
Gerudo Desert.
Zora's River.
Death Mountain.
Hyrule Castle.

This next part is not confirmed, but potentially some of the "temples" will be featured in it, and some of the ranger stages will have boss battles. The game takes place in Twilight Princess' world, though I am not being told if it is "during" the game (alternate universe type thing) or after the game's events.

Wowow so basically it's like they made a game out of the Third Person Shooter Western-like sequence from TP Wii ?

And from the PR :

defending a supply wagon from onrushing hordes of enemies.

Hmmm I wonder why this remind me of something... Let me see...

Bow shooting was awesome in Wii version. If they're telling me I can play a dumbed down version of TP turned into a pointer awesomefest, I'm totally in.

CTLance

Lobster said:
Do we really have to spoiler TP? Its almost been out for a year...
I have the Wii version, got my Wii (and Zelda) at launch. I still haven't beaten it yet. This is partly the fault of the game (the "water" temple just bores me to tears for some reason, I've restarted that piece of excrement an ungodly amount of times now) and partly due to my severely limited videogame time.

So please, don't spoil any games that aren't at the very least a few years old. Thanks. :D

Lobster

Banned
CTLance said:
I have the Wii version, got my Wii (and Zelda) at launch. I still haven't beaten it yet. This is partly the fault of the game (the "water" temple just bores me to tears for some reason, I've restarted that piece of excrement an ungodly amount of times now) and partly due to my severely limited videogame time.

So please, don't spoil any games that aren't at the very least a few years old. Thanks. :D

Atleast the water temples boss is cool. You'll forgive it because of the boss even if it is a tad easy.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I wonder if Nintendo it's going to try to fit this game in the Zelda chronology. I would like to have and Spin off like that were i can enjoy all the beauty of the twilight Princess world with new side stories and a new background story, like in a real Zelda.

that would be awesome!

1-D_FTW

I for one approve of this game.

Nintendo only has the money to approve a limited amount of game releases a year, so I approve of originality over something like a Wii Sports 2 sequel. I'm with you, Iwata. Well done, sir. Innovation over boring sequels.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
tanasten said:
I wonder if Nintendo it's going to try to fit this game in the Zelda chronology. I would like to have and Spin off like that were i can enjoy all the beauty of the twilight Princess world with new side stories and a new background story, like in a real Zelda.

that would be awesome!
I wouldn't expect neither cutscenes nor any backstory.

ksamedi

These kind of games don't take away resources from Nintendo and enables them to create more games. How many programmers are they likely to use with this one? The graphics engine is probably already there, they have made many shooting games or minigames so the experience is there and its not a big scale project. I'd say 4 guys from the Zelda team was probably enough to make this game.

tanasten said:

that would be awesome!

Nintendo doesn't care about fitting things into the chronology... they don't really HAVE a chronology. They just make the games and then maybe think about how they fit together later... direct sequels excepted, generally.

But yes, I doubt it'll have much of a plot.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
DavidDayton said:
Wha?

Why in the WORLD would they make Link RIGHT HANDED? There's no reason for it that I can see, ESPECIALLY with the "Zapper" being a dual-hand device.

There's no reason why he shouldn't be right handed. Just because he has always held the sword in his left hand doesn't matter. It's not like him being a leftie has any importance to the character or the story.

jts

...hate me...
Dunno if someone already pointed it out, but the Zapper is no more dual-handed than the Wiimote + Nunchuck, and yet in Twilight Princess Wii you know the rest...

Banned
Ranger: In ranger rounds, players can move throughout the level using the control stick and aim anywhere they want by aiming the Wii Zapper wherever they want to look. In these missions, Link storms enemy encampments, fights his way through a forest and seeks out his foes while exploring the environments.

That almost sounds... awesome!

TSA said:
This game is going to have a huge competition factor. Nintendo should have put a WiiConnect24 option to allow a leaderboard option since this is a score based game.

So true... It's heartbreaking to watch Nintendo just laugh in the face of it's own possible excellence. Leaderboards/Friend leaderboards on games are so simple, yet would be so good.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it. Nintendo should have at least utilized the Wii hardware at least a little bit for this.

Top Bottom