• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"To Begin With? Everything." The Official ROCK BAND Thread (M3wThr33: WE HATE YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm sure this has been discussed extensively through out this thread but it is ENORMOUS. I'm going to buy Rock Band but I've heard nothing but bad things about the guitar. I was planning on buying the Rock Band game by itself and also picking up Guitar Hero 3 mainly for the guitar but also to get another game in the process. I'm not as interested in the drums but I do plan on picking the drum set up eventually.

So tell me, how bad is this guitar? Is my plan harebrained? Should I just pick up the bundle and be done with it?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
The guitar is awesome and once you get adjusted its more fun to play with than the GH guitar because it gives you more options while playing.

BobsRevenge said:
The guitar is awesome and once you get adjusted its more fun to play with than the GH guitar because it gives you more options while playing.

What do you mean by "get adjusted"? What is the difference that causes some to hate it and others to love it?

BobsRevenge

Felix Lighter said:
What do you mean by "get adjusted"? What is the difference that causes some to hate it and others to love it?
The strumbar doesn't click and feels mushy, the buttons are a lot different and do click, and it is larger. Once you get used to it the buttons are actually easier to use. The strumbar is easier to grip, but its still a little harder to get the rhythm without the clicks that the GH guitars have. Other than that it only adds things. 5-way effects switch, larger whammy bar, and 5 extra buttons close to the body of the guitar for when you really have to melt faces.

BobsRevenge said:
The strumbar doesn't click and feels mushy, the buttons are a lot different and do click, and it is larger. Once you get used to it the buttons are actually easier to use. The strumbar is easier to grip, but its still a little harder to get the rhythm without the clicks that the GH guitars have. Other than that it only adds things. 5-way effects switch, larger whammy bar, and 5 extra buttons close to the body of the guitar for when you really have to melt faces.

Thanks for the explanation. The mushy part is a little concerning to me. Any chance of a redesigned guitar that will add the clicking? Damn why does there always have to be trade offs?

I really wish I could play with a Rock Band guitar, just to know for sure if I'll like it. At the minute I imagine myself using a Les Paul, and switching at super hard Green Grass level solos just for the 5 top buttons.

Felix Lighter said:
Thanks for the explanation. The mushy part is a little concerning to me. Any chance of a redesigned guitar that will add the clicking? Damn why does there always have to be trade offs?
I wouldn't hold your breath for a redesign... the click-less strum bar is an intentional design decision, and there are many people who prefer it that way. Harmonix has reworked the internals of the guitar a few times already, and they've always stuck with the click-less approach.

I wouldn't worry about it too much -- the issue is really overblown on the internet anyway. Most of my friends IRL prefer the Rock Band guitar, but even the ones who don't can still use it fine after a song or two of warm-up. If you're getting GH3 also, you shouldn't have any problems using your less-liked guitar as a bass.

TheExodu5

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I really wish I could play with a Rock Band guitar, just to know for sure if I'll like it. At the minute I imagine myself using a Les Paul, and switching at super hard Green Grass level solos just for the 5 top buttons.

Use the Les Paul if you can. The Strat really sucks for anything with fast strumming. I, unfortunately, do not have to opportunity to use anything but the Strat on the PS3 :(.

TheGreatDave said:

Yeah I wish I could try it just to get a feel if it will work for me. I would much rather just buy the bundle but if I have to fight with the guitar, it just won't work.

rohlfinator said:
I wouldn't hold your breath for a redesign... the click-less strum bar is an intentional design decision, and there are many people who prefer it that way. Harmonix has reworked the internals of the guitar a few times already, and they've always stuck with the click-less approach.

I wouldn't worry about it too much -- the issue is really overblown on the internet anyway. Most of my friends IRL prefer the Rock Band guitar, but even the ones who don't can still use it fine after a song or two of warm-up. If you're getting GH3 also, you shouldn't have any problems using your less-liked guitar as a bass.

Well I thought about buying the bundle and GH3 but that is quite the investment. There is a good deal on Amazon right now but my mind isn't made up yet.

TheExodu5

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Yeah I wish I could try it just to get a feel if it will work for me. I would much rather just buy the bundle but if I have to fight with the guitar, it just won't work.

Well it basically depends on the difficulty you're playing on, IMO. The guitar is fine for anything up to expert. The problem come expert, is that you can't hear your clicks, so:

a) You can't count the amount of times you're strumming
b) You can't perfectly synchronize is with double-strumming segments due to not hearing the sound.

TheExodu5 said:
a) You can't count the amount of times you're strumming

Which is why I'm worried. When I play these games I'm basically counting to 4 in my head the whole time, and making as much noise with the strum bar as possible.

It really sounds like a preference thing. Neither is necessarily better than the other. It's all about which guitar you prefer. I really want to try the Rock Band guitar before buying.

TheExodu5

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Untrue.

As evidence: Thrasher. The fastest strumming in the game and the Strat can handle it perfectly fine.

Ask any top-tier Expert player. The Les Paul is much better than the Strat.

Proof you ask?

Check scorehero for Thrasher. Highest score on the PS3 is 82%. And that's by a player that's FC'ed a huge portion of the songs. Highest score on the 360 is 95%. There would not normally be a divide near that high just because of platforms.

bounchfx

TheExodu5 said:
Ask any top-tier Expert player. The Les Paul is much better than the Strat.

Proof you ask?

Check scorehero for Thrasher. Highest score on the PS3 is 82%. And that's by a player that's FC'ed a huge portion of the songs. Highest score on the 360 is 95%. There would not normally be a divide near that high just because of platforms.

the strat is much more comfortable than the les paul.
I can play thrasher just fine and just as good if not better on the strat vs the les paul.

fuck, the les paul is just so damn uncomfortable nowadays after playing with the strat that it's annoying as hell to use and I would be fine never touching it again.

it's OPINION.

edit: and reading your other posts it just seems like you suck with the strat so you try to preach to everyone not to use it. It's fine for fast strumming. if you can't count without hearing a click then I'm sorry...?

TheExodu5 said:

And you think that's because the people playing with the Strat simply could not strum as fast?
Bullshit.

It's because there are significantly less PS3 Rock Band players than 360, and all of the top-tier players are on 360 and just so happen to use the guitar that they're used to(IE either the Xplorer, or the Les Paul) It has nothing to do with whether or not the Strat is not capable.

I can't get through Thrasher, but it's not because the Strat is incapable of it. I get passed the strumming and fail on the solo's because I am not capable. If I used the Les Paul or the Xplorer, I would not magically pass the song.

TheExodu5

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
And you think that's because the people playing with the Strat simply could not strum as fast?
Bullshit.

It's because there are significantly less PS3 Rock Band players than 360, and all of the top-tier players are on 360 and just so happen to use the guitar that they're used to(IE either the Xplorer, or the Les Paul) It has nothing to do with whether or not the Strat is not capable.

I can't get through Thrasher, but it's not because the Strat is incapable of it. I get passed the strumming and fail on the solo's because I am not capable. If I used the Les Paul or the Xplorer, I would not magically pass the song.

It's not because the Strat can't strum fast, it's because you can't precisely count the clicks to match up with the extremely fast start-stop rythm.

Keep in mind, there are a few expert GH players like popemobile and k3v227 (who's FC'ed Jordan), and they stopped playing guitar on the PS3 in favor of the drums. The Strat is terrible for expert level players.

TheExodu5 said:
It's not because the Strat can't strum fast, it's because you can't precisely count the clicks to match up with the extremely fast start-stop rythm.

Keep in mind, there are a few expert GH players like popemobile and kev (who's FC'ed Jordan), and they stopped playing guitar on the PS3 in favor of the drums. The Strat is terrible for expert level players.

So because it doesn't click, it's impossible to know how many times you strum? Yeah, that's bullshit as well.

And I'll keep that little fact in mind, but I will say that it has nothing to do with what you think. It entirely has to do with the people not wanting to use a different guitar then what they're used to.

TheExodu5

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
So because it doesn't click, it's impossible to know how many times you strum? Yeah, that's bullshit as well.

And I'll keep that little fact in mind, but I will say that it has nothing to do with what you think. It entirely has to do with the people not wanting to use a different guitar then what they're used to.

I've tried. Pope has tried. K3v has tried. It's just not a good guitar. If you're not of the caliber to beat thrasher, you hardly have any authority to judge the matter properly.

TheGreatDave said:
I can't beat some songs with the X-Plorer any more. People just get used to things and find it hard to change, I think.
I love the X-Plorer.

Too bad my friend sorta fucked up the strum bar, but I feel compelled to go buy a new one.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
TheExodu5 said:
I've tried. Pope has tried. K3v has tried. It's just not a good guitar. If you're not of the caliber to beat thrasher, you hardly have any authority to judge the matter properly.

Now THAT is bullshit. The reason the top players use the guitar hero guitars is because they are used to them. If they were to dedicate time to learning to play with the strat they would perform just as well.

LakeEarth

duderon said:
Now THAT is bullshit. The reason the top players use the guitar hero guitars is because they are used to them. If they were to dedicate time to learning to play with the strat they would perform just as well.
We really won't know until some professional players switch to the strat and kick ass with it. Until then, its all personal preference.

I personally think the click is extremely important for fast note stretches. When you play the guitar, you feel the string on your pick, which the 'click' kind of represents. The strat's strum is all mushy so you don't get that feel to it. At least to me.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LakeEarth said:
We really won't know until some professional players switch to the strat and kick ass with it. Until then, its all personal preference.

I personally think the click is extremely important for fast note stretches. When you play the guitar, you feel the string on your pick, which the 'click' kind of represents. The strat's strum is all mushy so you don't get that feel to it. At least to me.

I agree that makes it easier, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to do long note stretches with the strat. It's just an adjustment that a player has to make if they decide to play with the new guitar. I find myself listening to the guitar track more intently when I'm playing and focusing my up and down strums on that when playing fast sections of notes.

bounchfx

TheExodu5 said:

ok, again, wow.

I'm 'of the calibur' to beat thrasher and once again, it's preference. Hell, I could even say I have an easier time beating it with the Strat, because (once again) IT'S ALL A MATTER OF PREFERENCE. if they were more used to using the strat for the past few years you better believe they would be using those instead.

I can beat thrasher and every other song on expert without any problems with the stratocaster. and guess what, here's a secret
the solo buttons are awesome, and actually make solo runs not only easier (than the standard strat buttons), but fun
. I have *gasp* a harder time with some of the songs using the GH3 guitar, why? because I haven't used it regularly in a while so I'm not as good as I used to be with it. That must mean the Les Paul sucks. Right? Right?

While the Strat is being brought up, do the higher buttons work as normal buttons? As in, if a solo has a note you need to strum a few times, you can hold down the button and strum as normal, then tap for the other notes?

TheGreatDave said:
While the Strat is being brought up, do the higher buttons work as normal buttons? As in, if a solo has a note you need to strum a few times, you can hold down the button and strum as normal, then tap for the other notes?
Yes. You could primarily use the solo buttons if you so chose.

koam

Foreplay/Long time is no where near on the top with all instruments, wtf people? Do you play alone or something. The singer has nothing to do for the first 25% of the song. As for "won't get fooled again" there's a 20-30 second gap near the end where nothing is happening.

koam

ascii42 said:
Really, for me all the Bass pedal stuff makes it interesting.

I love the song but the last 2 minutes are the same thing over and over on drums. I have to agree with the other person.

BobsRevenge

TheExodu5 said:

Keep in mind, there are a few expert GH players like popemobile and k3v227 (who's FC'ed Jordan), and they stopped playing guitar on the PS3 in favor of the drums. The Strat is terrible for expert level players.
Dude, no. There is no way I could beat Green Grass and High Tides, Thrasher, or Blackened as consistently as I do with a Les Paul on expert. I have to rely on my solo-ing buttons to carry me through those.

And I am an expert level player. When I played GH3 online in my prime I rarely lost on the PS3 (maybe 1 out of every 15 games) and lost about 1/4th of my 360 online games (a testament to how much better 360 gamers are at it). I've gold starred the majority of the songs in Rock Band.

GhaleonEB

Does the drum kit come with a copy of the game? The EB.com listing doesn't specify. I've got ~$80 in store credit, and since I have a GHIII guitar from a demo kit I was sent, I'd like to just get the drums and call it good.

LakeEarth

I could never really use the solo buttons that well. I only use them for solo section where normal and ho/po notes get jumbled in my eyes. Switching to the solo buttons and back usually end up with me missing a few notes so I avoid them. Good for getting tons of notes during the "jamming" sections at the end of some songs.

BobsRevenge

LakeEarth said:
I could never really use the solo buttons that well. I only use them for solo section where normal and ho/po notes get jumbled in my head.
Yeah, they are tricky. A good way to get better is to just use them for entire songs for a while.

TheExodu5

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Dude, no. There is no way I could beat Green Grass and High Tides, Thrasher, or Blackened as consistently as I do with a Les Paul on expert. I have to rely on my solo-ing buttons to carry me through those.

And I am an expert level player. When I played GH3 online in my prime I rarely lost on the PS3 (maybe 1 out of every 15 games) and lost about 1/4th of my 360 online games (a testament to how much better 360 gamers are at it). I've gold starred the majority of the songs in Rock Band.

Ummm...you're agreeing with what I said. I said the Strat is shit for expert level play. You proceeded to say the Les Paul is good for expert level play. Then we are in agreement.

koam

Has anyone here beaten the Endless set on expert? I almost did it on hard but we stopped with 10 songs left cause it was 5:30am.

koam

GhaleonEB said:
0_0

So it's $140 for the drums and game? Fuck that.

(thanks)

Edit: so for $30 more you get the entire kit, with mic and guitar? WTF.

Just buy the full game and you'll have every instrument and 2 guitars.

BobsRevenge

TheExodu5 said:
Ummm...you're agreeing with what I said. I said the Strat is shit for expert level play. You proceeded to say the Les Paul is good for expert level play. Then we are in agreement.
I said I was good with the Les Paul and am also good with the Strat. I guess we are in agreement over the quality of the Les Paul for expert play, but I use the Strat just as well and prefer it.

Like I said in my post (which you may have read wrong as it could have been worded better), I seriously doubt I could beat GGaHT, Thrasher, or Blackened consistently with a Les Paul. For the end of GGaHT I have to use the solo buttons and the normal buttons at the same time to get through the constant triple note things because I don't have the coordination to strum for the first note and pull off twice over and over again for so long at that speed. Its much easier for me to get one note out of the way by just pressing it and then pulling just one finger off on the normal buttons. Plus its awesome and fun. Just can't do that kind of a shit with a les paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom