• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Kumiko Nikaido
Vindication...sweet.
(11-11-2007, 06:59 AM)


Irem's ship-shooter turned strategy game for the PSP based on the R-Type universe, R-Type Tactics, looks to becoming stateside early next year.

Retitled R-Type Command for the U.S., the tentative date is March 4th, 2008. Pricing is to be $39.99.

Released a couple of months ago in Japan, R-Type Tactics is a turn-based, hex-grid stategy game. Use a variety of R-Type ships in your squadron through an assortment of missions and take on the Bydo Empire.
john tv
minna ni naisho dayo
(11-11-2007, 07:00 AM)
john tv's Avatar
You forgot the most important piece of info -- who is bringing it there? :p

BTW, R-Type Tactics isn't very good. :(
ethelred
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:06 AM)
ethelred's Avatar

Originally Posted by john tv

You forgot the most important piece of info -- who is bringing it there? :p

BTW, R-Type Tactics isn't very good. :(

It's not? How come? :(
marwan
Banned
(11-11-2007, 07:07 AM)
turn-based? screw it! gimme a new Gradius on the PSP.
sixteen-bit
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:09 AM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar
I know The game's been panned but I'd like to try this first hand.

I recall there being a demo somewhere out there, right?
GhostSeed
(11-11-2007, 07:11 AM)
GhostSeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by john tv

You forgot the most important piece of info -- who is bringing it there? :p

BTW, R-Type Tactics isn't very good. :(

It looks like a slow SRW in game play vids. :(
Kumiko Nikaido
Vindication...sweet.
(11-11-2007, 07:13 AM)

Originally Posted by john tv

You forgot the most important piece of info -- who is bringing it there? :p

BTW, R-Type Tactics isn't very good. :(

Uncertain on the publisher at this time. Maybe Atlus? Or even Irem themselves? :)
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(11-11-2007, 07:14 AM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kumiko Nikaido

Uncertain on the publisher at this time. Maybe Atlus? Or even Irem themselves? :)

Huh? You know when it's coming out, under what title, for what price, but not who's publishing it? Come on. :P
DECK'ARD
The Amiga Brotherhood
(11-11-2007, 07:15 AM)
DECK'ARD's Avatar
It was meant to be a bit rubbish wasn't it?

Good idea, but just didn't work in practise?
ZealousD
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:17 AM)
ZealousD's Avatar
Why did they retitle it? Do they believe that Americans are tired of "Tactics" games?
ethelred
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:17 AM)
ethelred's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nash

It was meant to be a bit rubbish wasn't it?

Err... no, I don't think it was meant to be.
HyperZone<3
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:46 AM)
when I type "R-Type Command" into google, the fist response (and the only pertinent one) is this very thread. So Kumiko Nikado seems to have gotten a scoop. Alright.

Hey, Irem gets monies, isn't that what we all should be happy about, right?
MoxManiac
Member
(11-11-2007, 07:50 AM)
MoxManiac's Avatar

Originally Posted by HyperZone&lt

when I type "R-Type Command" into google, the fist response (and the only pertinent one) is this very thread. So Kumiko Nikado seems to have gotten a scoop. Alright.

Hey, Irem gets monies, isn't that what we all should be happy about, right?

Hey, if they want monies they need to get The Guardian Legend up on VC :D
HyperZone<3
Member
(11-11-2007, 08:03 AM)

Originally Posted by MoxManiac

Hey, if they want monies they need to get The Guardian Legend up on VC :D

Compile did that, not Irem.

When Compile went under, all their IP were bought by another company (D4 Enterprises), that same company is a VC producer. So its quite possible that The Guardian Legend, and GunNac, and Zanac, and all those other nifty games could be re-released someday in the future.
MoxManiac
Member
(11-11-2007, 08:07 AM)
MoxManiac's Avatar

Originally Posted by HyperZone&lt

Compile did that, not Irem.

When Compile went under, all their IP were bought by another company (D4 Enterprises), that same company is a VC producer. So its quite possible that The Guardian Legend, and GunNac, and Zanac, and all those other nifty games could be re-released someday in the future.

Did Irem publish it in Japan then? I remember their name being attached to it somewhere.

That's great news though. I'll bet we'll see TGL (and those other games you mentioned) on VC eventually; I mean, D4 released freakin' Lunar Pool there for god sakes.
Kumiko Nikaido
Vindication...sweet.
(11-13-2007, 04:19 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

Huh? You know when it's coming out, under what title, for what price, but not who's publishing it? Come on. :P

Looks like Atlus will be doing the publishing duties for Irem. Go Atlus! :)
MrDaravon
Member
(11-13-2007, 04:35 AM)
MrDaravon's Avatar
The Guardian Legend being released on VC would possibly be the best day of my life. That's the only NES game I still own, complete and all.
djtiesto
is beloved, despite what anyone might say
(11-13-2007, 04:07 PM)
djtiesto's Avatar
Surprised not to see Drinky turn up in this thread... what happened with the game that it's not supposed to be very good? :(
Saitou
Banned
(11-13-2007, 04:09 PM)
I have hopes that whoever publishes this in the west will speed shit up a little.

Let's hope they don't fuck over something else, though.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(11-13-2007, 04:10 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kumiko Nikaido

Looks like Atlus will be doing the publishing duties for Irem. Go Atlus! :)

Cool. :)
chespace
It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
(11-13-2007, 04:38 PM)
chespace's Avatar
Not sure what John hates about it, but I couldn't make heads or tails of the Japanese menus when I checked out the game.

It seemed pretty much what you'd expect when you put R-Type and tactics gameplay together though. Not too exciting but if you love the Bydo empire theme and R-Type mechanical designs, it's like a dream come true.

The whole game is about scale, I suppose, with supporting ships and all sorts of R fighters and capital ships -- that's something we never really had with R-Type the shooters.

Day 1 for me. Or at least.... month 1. Or uh... I'll pick it up if I remember to.
camineet
Banned
(01-02-2008, 10:46 PM)
holy crap, I missed this, I had NO idea R-Type Tactics is coming to the U.S. O_o

John TV: you said it's not very good.

well, I am going to assume it's still better than Neo-Nectaris on PC-Engine Super CD-ROM2.

(aka would've been Military Madness 2 had it been released here)


RT is turn-based, is hex-based (unlike AW) and it's Japanese, how bad can it be?
It's gotta be at least half way decent.
Drinky Crow
Banned
(01-02-2008, 10:47 PM)
Drinky Crow's Avatar
japanese version seemed pretty good, although i oddly wound up preferring wild arms xf.
camineet
Banned
(01-02-2008, 11:34 PM)
given that there's no new Nectaris games on DS or PSP, R-Type Command will have to fill that empty space for a current-gen, Japanese-made, hexagonal turn-based strategy game.

Game of the Forever coming to the United States FTW
KyanMehwulfe
Member
(01-03-2008, 12:11 AM)
KyanMehwulfe's Avatar

Originally Posted by chespace

The whole game is about scale, I suppose, with supporting ships and all sorts of R fighters and capital ships -- that's something we never really had with R-Type the shooters.

Is it more micro tactical in that you basically have ships that fit basic archtypes? (damage, tank, healer/repair, etc)

Or macro strategic in that you must carefully plan out an outline (an armada if you will) before each scenario?

I love my classic rts and srpgs, but I yearn for more titles that really going into strategic management more. Curious if that's what you were getting at with "scale".
camineet
Banned
(01-03-2008, 07:25 AM)
I'm so glad I won't have to import R-Type Tactics. not that it would be that hard to play it with Japanese text, but an English release in the form of R-Type Command is a beam-weapon blast of awesome news.
camineet
Banned
(01-03-2008, 09:28 PM)
besides this thread, is there any confirmation about R-Type 'Command' and a U.S. release?

I googled, I see it listed on Gamestop, Gamefaqs and others, but nothing on IGN.
camineet
Banned
(01-05-2008, 02:25 AM)
bump. don't leave me hangin, NeoGAF!
Chris_C
Member
(01-05-2008, 02:30 AM)
Chris_C's Avatar
Should be on the PC Store at a reasonable price or it'll bomb. C'mon Sony!
Diablos
(01-05-2008, 02:38 AM)
Diablos's Avatar
When is that Wild Arms XF game coming? Looks pretty hot.
Himuro
Banned
(01-05-2008, 06:29 AM)
Damn, psp is going to kick ass in 08.
B.K.
Member
(01-05-2008, 06:32 AM)
B.K.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Diablos

When is that Wild Arms XF game coming? Looks pretty hot.

March.
JeremyR
Member
(01-05-2008, 06:44 AM)

Originally Posted by camineet

besides this thread, is there any confirmation about R-Type 'Command' and a U.S. release?

I googled, I see it listed on Gamestop, Gamefaqs and others, but nothing on IGN.

Good question. Atlus has announced a whole slew of games since this post here. Baroque, Drone Tactics, Spectral Force 3, Operation Darkness. Some of which have release dates later than R-Type Command was supposed to.

Maybe it hit a snag or something?
madhtr
Member
(02-13-2008, 06:27 PM)
madhtr's Avatar
ATLUS WAGES INTERSTELLAR TACTICAL WAR WITH R-TYPE(R) COMMAND FOR PLAYSTATION(R) PORTABLE

The Legendary Franchise is Reborn this May 6th

IRVINE, CA - FEBRUARY 13, 2008 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced that R-Type Command, a bold new turn-based strategy entry in the long-celebrated series of side-scrolling shooters, is coming exclusively to the PlayStation Portable. R-Type Command hits store shelves May 6th with an MSRP of $39.99.

For more on R-Type Command, please visit the official website: http://www.atlus.com/r-type/

About R-Type Command
In a desperate war against the mysterious alien race known as the Bydo, humanity sends wave after wave of fighters into Bydo space -- none of which are ever heard from again. Mankind's main hope now resides with a lone commander, sent to lead a small armada on a perilous mission into the heart of the Bydo Empire. Low on fuel and forced to scavenge resources and equipment from his surroundings, the commander must use all his cunning and wits if he hopes to succeed, let alone make it home alive.

Key Features:
- R-Type reborn - The highly acclaimed franchise moves into the strategy genre with exciting tactical gameplay!
- Control the Bydo forces - For the first time in the series, take command of the Bydo forces as they launch their assault on Earth!
- Intense strategy gameplay - With nearly 100 different units at your disposal, it's up to you to choose the best fleet for battle. Upgrade your existing units or purchase new ones!
- Head-to-head local multiplayer - With the PSP wireless communication feature, play against a friend in Wireless Ad Hoc mode for a one-on-one strategy battle!

R-Type Command has been rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) with Animated Blood and Mild Fantasy Violence by the ESRB.
Grimmy
Banned
(02-13-2008, 06:38 PM)
Grimmy's Avatar
Great - now bring out Yggdra Union PSP Atlus!
Enron
King of Twin-Tails
(02-13-2008, 06:47 PM)
Enron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grimmy

Great - now bring out Yggdra Union PSP Atlus!

Noooooo I just bought yggdra union for GBA!
Mr_Furious
Member
(02-13-2008, 11:03 PM)
I'm there!
Mamesj
Banned
(03-22-2008, 05:17 PM)
So the general consensus is that this sucks?

I saw at the GS website for $30
Iron_Scimitar
Banned
(03-22-2008, 05:19 PM)
Iron_Scimitar's Avatar
That box art is totally relevent to the game.
jooey
The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
(03-22-2008, 05:43 PM)
jooey's Avatar
great bumps guys, totally worth it
Mamesj
Banned
(03-22-2008, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by jooey

great bumps guys, totally worth it


asking if a game is good as it gets closer to its release isn't worth it?

great post, totally worth it :-P
DMPrince
Member
(03-22-2008, 06:09 PM)
DMPrince's Avatar
it's so sexy. i'll get it in May.
Peronthious
Member
(03-22-2008, 06:12 PM)
Heh, I forgot to glance at the OP date and was thrown off for a few seconds. Definitely keeping an eye on this game; can never get enough portable shmup action.
Mamesj
Banned
(03-22-2008, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Peronthious

Heh, I forgot to glance at the OP date and was thrown off for a few seconds. Definitely keeping an eye on this game; can never get enough portable shmup action.


it's a tactics game.
Peronthious
Member
(03-22-2008, 09:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Mamesj

it's a tactics game.

I gathered that much, but I assumed that inside of the tactics stages there would be shmup stages of sorts. Probably mistaken; didn't look that much into it.
jjasper
Member
(03-28-2008, 03:58 PM)
jjasper's Avatar
I tried the demo last night not really sure what I thought about it. Seems ok. Anyone else tried the demo?
bigmit3737
Member
(03-28-2008, 05:13 PM)
bigmit3737's Avatar
Wondering about impressions from the demo...
DrXym
Member
(03-28-2008, 06:14 PM)
Handheld games that use the word "Tactics" fill me with dread.
PhlivoSong
Member
(03-28-2008, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by jjasper

I tried the demo last night not really sure what I thought about it. Seems ok. Anyone else tried the demo?

Well... I would say it's a game that doesn't demo really well. There is a lot of information to take in, and just to learn the demo it felt like a hell of a lot to handle. I played it for about 45 minutes, got smoked, and I'm still not quite sure what happened. Some things went unexplained, like the energy bar thingy... and two of the vehicles I didn't even know what they were used for.

A lot of people seem to have liked the game, I think it was just a bit too hardcore for me.
jjasper
Member
(03-28-2008, 07:26 PM)
jjasper's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhlivoSong

Well... I would say it's a game that doesn't demo really well. There is a lot of information to take in, and just to learn the demo it felt like a hell of a lot to handle. I played it for about 45 minutes, got smoked, and I'm still not quite sure what happened. Some things went unexplained, like the energy bar thingy... and two of the vehicles I didn't even know what they were used for.

A lot of people seem to have liked the game, I think it was just a bit too hardcore for me.

Yeah I kinda felt like I had no idea what was going on. In the demo I was getting killed but saw that you could make decoys of certain things and explode them near enemies and take them out.

Thread Tools