• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iowa 2008 Caucus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow.

If you're in Iowa VOTE. If not we can discuss here about how great and/or stupid Iowans are.

kbear

This is some really exciting stuff. I'm being totally genuine... this is politics at its finest.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mii said:
Predictions?

Dems: Obama
GOPs: Huckaboom

Clearly going out on a limb there.

I'll predict:

Obama \ Romney (I know, I'm playing it rather safe too)

I have a feeling the polls aren't telling the full story.

kbear

Mii said:
Predictions?

Dems: Obama
GOPs: Huckaboom
1. Obama
2. Edwards
3. Hillary

1. Romney
2. Huckabee
3. McCain

I just can't believe Mike Huckabee has a good chance to represent the Republican party for President. If he wins the nomination, it'll be the biggest massacre in the history of the Presidential elections. Huckabee = glass jaw. There's just so much stuff the Dems can rip him for it's overwhelming.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
hope mah boi Romney takes it and keeps running afterwords in the other primaries. Go Edwards, too. At least if he gets elected, I won't be completely pissed.

thefro

Dems:
Obama (turnout will be huge, possible side-deals with Biden/Richardson)
Edwards (leads in second choices)
Clinton

Reps:
Romney (Spending all that money on organization will pull him through)
Huckabee (not organized enough to win)
Paul (They're crazy organized)
McCain (not enough organization to beat Ron Paul)
Thompson (zzzz)
Rudy

Wooo, predictions!

D
1. Clinton
2. Obama (will be fucking CLOSE though)
3. Edwards

R
1. Huckabee
2. Romney
3. McCain

Current candidate preference (Top Five):
1. Obama
2. Clinton (but my top 2 flip-flop regularly)
3. Romney
4. McCain
5. Edwards

Pretty stoked! Going to be a hell of a race; I'm glad it is beginning in earnest. :D

DEM
1) Obama
2) Clinton
3) Edwards

Obama's margin of victory will be too small to be of any significance.

REP
1) Huckabee
2) Romney
3) McCain

Romney's defeat sets the stage for a nasty weekend of campaigning in New Hampshire.

Fuck, too bad the cable is out. I kinda want to head to Buffalo Wild Wings and ask them to turn to MSNBC

1) Hillary
2) Edwards
3) Obamaowned

1) Romney
2) Huck
3) McCain
<15% Ron Paul

Gruco

Banned
Alright, you want my prediction? here's my prediction:

Tomorrow, a minority of people from the fine state of Iowa, itself a small, unrepresentative state, will go and vote. After having forced the candidates to spend a ridiculous amount of time campaigning in their state (instead of, you know, governing, legislating, etc) and pretending that their parochial interests are far more import than they actually are, these people will exercise a hugely disproportionate influence on the process. It’s not really clear why this is the case, but one has to assume it’s because people from Iowa are really fucking awesome. Or something.

The Democrat will either win because we recognize her last name (how’d that turn out last time, America?) or because he makes really pretty speeches about unity.

The Republican will either win because he has a lot of money, because he was mayor of a city that got attacked by terrorists, or because he’s an unknown governor from a small state with previously unknown public profile.

Whoever it is, we’ll be blessed with a ton of stories about how they positioned themselves, about how their personal background helped them win, and about how they’re set up for the rest of the horse race. We might get a couple about what positions they’ve taken, but almost none of these will be a reasonable, intelligent analysis (that is, more horse race implications!)

Cokie Roberts will probably lead the charge, and some DC schmuck who takes the Metro in to work at 10:00 because he has a sweet government contract and doesn’t need to work very hard might even listen and, if he’s dumb enough, find it interesting.

Regardless, whoever wins will have an enormous advantage. Maybe the subsequent states will decide to think for themselves, more likely they’ll just play along, but either way politicians will be running around, kissing ass, and spending ridiculous amounts of money to look and act like a robot in order to convince people that they’re a leader.

Then people drop out, then somebody wins, and that’s when the fun starts.

That’s when we get the months of the gotchas, the Wolf Blitzer special on historical debate faux pas, countless stories on he said this, no I didn’t, well I didn’t mean it that was in 1893 anyways, fuck you. While we’re running this very important, very interesting news segment, nobody will take the motherfucking time to look through the countless academic studies that might have been published on a subject, or to make a note of facts tending to tip the scales in one direction or another. After all, we don’t want to alienate people, and it’s so much easier to say “well, on the one hand” followed by “but on the other!” and then shrug and go back to checking your hair and your perfect news man voice.

So anyways, we put up with this shit for months, and some people get really passionate about it and even yell at each other. Nobody talks about social security because they don’t want to piss off the old people who nothing to do with their free time but vote. Nobody talks about cutting the military budget because they don’t want to look like a pussy. Yet they still insist that we can all get puppies and rainbows. And then somebody wins, and if we’re really lucky, it’s because a majority of Americans wanted them to.

So the new guy takes the office, and his supporters are really optimistic about everything he can accomplish. This lasts for approximately one day. Soon enough, the rabid parochial nature of the congress will turn the plan for comprehensive energy reform (if it even existed) into the “Free money for people who grow corn” bill. The education and health care bills probably barely get off the ground. But that’s not such a bad deal, because let’s be honest – if somebody had education and health care reform plans and actually won, they were probably pretty stupid plans anyways.

So maybe we leave Iraq, maybe we don’t. Either way, we sure as fuck aren’t investing in development in Africa. And by virtue of not running any stories about the federal budget, people tend to think we already spend 60% of federal revenues feeding starving children or some other hippie ass shit.

So maybe terrorists find a new base. Or Pakistan blows up. Or robots conquer the earth. Or glaciers melt the fuck out all over everything. Either way, all that exciting ("exciting") domestic reform has to get put to the side for a while, everything goes to hell, lather, rinse, repeat.

So, I guess what I am saying is, I disagree. This is not politics at its best.

…

Yeah, sorry about that. I think everything that I’ve bottled up since I was old enough to vote just broke out.

Juice

Better the weather, better Obama does. Worse the weather, better Edwards does.

Weather.com said:
Sunny / Wind High
30°F

Precip
0%

Wind: S 22 mph
Max. Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 2 Low
Sunrise: 7:42 AM CT
Avg. High: 29°F
Record High: 60°F (1880)

weather-aside predictions:

Dems:
1. Obama
2. Edwards
3. Clinton

Reps:
1. Huckaboo
2. Ron Paul (later recalled because some "poll-terrorist" will be found out stuffing straws)
3. Romney

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Dems:
1. Edwards
2. Clinton
3. Obama

Reps:
1. Huckabee
2. Romney
3. McCain
This is how I see it panning out as well.

I was born and raised in Iowa, lived there until exactly four years ago. So strange to see my home state in the spotlight from a distance.

Phoenix

Gruco said:
Alright, you want my prediction? here's my prediction:

Tomorrow, a minority of people from the fine state of Iowa, itself a small, unrepresentative state, will go and vote. After having forced the candidates to spend a ridiculous amount of time campaigning in their state (instead of, you know, governing, legislating, etc) and pretending that their parochial interests are far more import than they actually are, these people will exercise a hugely disproportionate influence on the process. It’s not really clear why this is the case, but one has to assume it’s because people from Iowa are really fucking awesome. Or something.

The Democrat will either win because we recognize her last name (how’d that turn out last time, America?) or because he makes really pretty speeches about unity.

The Republican will either win because he has a lot of money, because he was mayor of a city that got attacked by terrorists, or because he’s an unknown governor from a small state with previously unknown public profile.

Whoever it is, we’ll be blessed with a ton of stories about how they positioned themselves, about how their personal background helped them win, and about how they’re set up for the rest of the horse race. We might get a couple about what positions they’ve taken, but almost none of these will be a reasonable, intelligent analysis (that is, more horse race implications!)

Cokie Roberts will probably lead the charge, and some DC schmuck who takes the Metro in to work at 10:00 because he has a sweet government contract and doesn’t need to work very hard might even listen and, if he’s dumb enough, find it interesting.

Regardless, whoever wins will have an enormous advantage. Maybe the subsequent states will decide to think for themselves, more likely they’ll just play along, but either way politicians will be running around, kissing ass, and spending ridiculous amounts of money to look and act like a robot in order to convince people that they’re a leader.

Then people drop out, then somebody wins, and that’s when the fun starts.

That’s when we get the months of the gotchas, the Wolf Blitzer special on historical debate faux pas, countless stories on he said this, no I didn’t, well I didn’t mean it that was in 1893 anyways, fuck you. While we’re running this very important, very interesting news segment, nobody will take the motherfucking time to look through the countless academic studies that might have been published on a subject, or to make a note of facts tending to tip the scales in one direction or another. After all, we don’t want to alienate people, and it’s so much easier to say “well, on the one hand” followed by “but on the other!” and then shrug and go back to checking your hair and your perfect news man voice.

So anyways, we put up with this shit for months, and some people get really passionate about it and even yell at each other. Nobody talks about social security because they don’t want to piss off the old people who nothing to do with their free time but vote. Nobody talks about cutting the military budget because they don’t want to look like a pussy. Yet they still insist that we can all get puppies and rainbows. And then somebody wins, and if we’re really lucky, it’s because a majority of Americans wanted them to.

So the new guy takes the office, and his supporters are really optimistic about everything he can accomplish. This lasts for approximately one day. Soon enough, the rabid parochial nature of the congress will turn the plan for comprehensive energy reform (if it even existed) into the “Free money for people who grow corn” bill. The education and health care bills probably barely get off the ground. But that’s not such a bad deal, because let’s be honest – if somebody had education and health care reform plans and actually won, they were probably pretty stupid plans anyways.

So maybe we leave Iraq, maybe we don’t. Either way, we sure as fuck aren’t investing in development in Africa. And by virtue of not running any stories about the federal budget, people tend to think we already spend 60% of federal revenues feeding starving children or some other hippie ass shit.

So maybe terrorists find a new base. Or Pakistan blows up. Or robots conquer the earth. Or glaciers melt the fuck out all over everything. Either way, all that exciting ("exciting") domestic reform has to get put to the side for a while, everything goes to hell, lather, rinse, repeat.

So, I guess what I am saying is, I disagree. This is not politics at its best.

…

Yeah, sorry about that. I think everything that I’ve bottled up since I was old enough to vote just broke out.

I wish there was a way that I could notify the forum to alert me to your posts because that was a good one.

For me, the only person in this entire campaign that I TRUST, that I genuinely believe actually BELIEVES can bring about change is Obama. Not really because of what he has said thus far, but from what I have been able to research into the things that he has believed in, and actually fought for. I know that that one thing that America simply doesn't need right now is another damned politician. We need 4 solid years of a visionary trying to move America in the right direction and someone willing to call out the people roadblocking the process on BOTH sides of the political fence.

I'm hoping Obama is that person. I am 110% certain Clinton is not that person.

Juice

Phoenix said:
I wish there was a way that I could notify the forum to alert me to your posts because that was a good one.

For me, the only person in this entire campaign that I TRUST, that I genuinely believe actually BELIEVES can bring about change is Obama. Not really because of what he has said thus far, but from what I have been able to research into the things that he has believed in, and actually fought for. I know that that one thing that America simply doesn't need right now is another damned politician. We need 4 solid years of a visionary trying to move America in the right direction and someone willing to call out the people roadblocking the process on BOTH sides of the political fence.

I agree, Gruco's post was awesome. I think you've also articulated well why I like Obama.

xabre

Banned
Why does this nomination thing only happen in a few states instead of all of them?

I'm not fond of the actual American political system itself because there seems to be very little debate of the sort you would see in the British Westminster system. I do however like the nomination process as it provides many candidates holding a number of wide ranging views the opportunity to become elected.

Gruco

Banned
Heh, thanks.

You don't want to read my posts though. At this point, 98% of them are just me rambling in the mlb thread anyways.

Phoenix said:

Ultimately the balance between the different branches of government is far more important than who is president.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Democrats:
Obama
Clinton
Edwards

Republicans:
Romney
Huckabee
Paul

Huckabee is a sham. His social conservatism covers up the fact he taxes through the roof, and has a terrible plan for illegal immigration. He even supported state funded tuition for illegals. He is decent on defense issues, but his stance on illegal immigration alone, means he gets no vote from me(and many others who find it to be the most important issue).

Iowa means nothing IMO, other then a little bit of momentum however. If Romney can pull both Iowa and NH he has a good shot at beating Giuliani.

ronito

Kastrioti said:
Iowa means nothing IMO, other then a little bit of momentum however. If Romney can pull both Iowa and NH he has a good shot at beating Giuliani.
True Iowa means nothing. But Iowa and NH means a whole lot.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
ronito said:
True Iowa means nothing. But Iowa and NH means a whole lot.

Yeah I agree, and Obama could get an even bigger snowball of momentum if he can take Iowa, NH and South Carolina. I think Hillary will take NH, but it should be intresting.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I would be okay with voting for either Obama or Edwards over whoever the GOP trots out (from the current field, none of whom elicit much in the way of positive vibes from me) this time. If they seriously run Hilldawg I will not know what to do, because no matter who wins at that point, I won't be happy.

For Obama to get any momentum out of Iowa, he's gotta win by a large margin. Squeaking by Clinton with a 35-30-25 margin doesn't do anything for him.

IMO, Clinton could lose Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina and still come back to smash Obama on February 5th. I've said before that I think a Clinton resurgency on Super Duper Tuesday could be the story of the primary.

Tamanon

Banned
In the name of Gruco, I dedicate this song to the election:

Out of Hand by
Bad Religion

Don't wanna have to take your shit anymore
i finally concluded that life is way to short
the ticking of the hourglass,
the tiny grains of sand
it beckons me like gravity,
like signposts on the land
and you got what you wanted
without force or reprimand
the seconds are all running out,
this burdens out of hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SgnhDZp7qg

Phoenix

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Ultimately the balance between the different branches of government is far more important than who is president.

Well I don't think we have a large risk of the legislative, executive, or judicial branches truly being "out of balance".

predictions:

REP
1. Romney
2. Huckabee
3. Ron Paul
4. John Mccain
5. Thompson

DEM
1. Obama
2. Edwards
3. Clinton
4. Richardson
5. Biden

opinion:

as a ron paul/barack obama fan, the best possible scenario tomorrow is for obama to get 1st (which i think will happen) and for ron paul to get 3rd (i dont think hes fairly represented in polls, but a close 3rd is the best he could pull off.) if ron paul getting third in iowa doesnt put him in the media spotlight (like mccain's "surge" is doing for him,) then his supporters are gonna go batshit insane. cant wait.

thefro

Surely we've got at least a few Gaffers in Iowa... where are they and why aren't they caucusing for anyone but Clinton?

Obama 35%+
Clinton 29%+
Edwards 27%+

Obama seals the nomination. New Hampshire is virtually tied and the bounce from Iowa will be the nail in the coffin.

On the Republican side, I see Huckabee barely scraping it out over Romney. No way McCain finishes third. I think that's a battle between Paul and Thompson with Paul eeking it out.

As an aside, has anyone else been watching CSPAN's Road to the White House coverage these past few days? Good, good stuff.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=24241

The most likely outcome appears to be:

1st Place: Mitt Romney
2nd Place: Mike Huckabee
3rd Place: Fred Thompson
4th Place: John McCain

The Democratic field looks to shake out this way:

1st Place: Barack Obama
2nd Place: John Edwards
3rd Place: Hillary Clinton
4th Place: Bill Richardson

I don't know. Some of his analysis seems to be flawed, imo. Clinton a stronger organization than Obama? Simply not true. Comparing Obama to Dean? That's a big stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom