• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

$299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day, go on sale Monday

We were glad to bring you the news of the $299 Playstation 3 yesterday when it was still very much under wraps. We have told you yesterday that there will be a new Playstation 3 model. This is partly true. The changes to the new Playstation 3 model are only aesthetic. The new Playstation 3 model for the United States is the exact same one that launched in Japan a couple months ago. The specifications are identical to that of the regular 40GB Playstation 3 available today in the US. Sadly this new 40GB Playstation 3 will have the same shortcomings as its older counterpart in the respect that it will be missing backwards compatibility and will have no memory-card readers.

The new Playstation 3's will be shipping to US retailers any day. From what we heard, the new consoles will be arriving to retailers Friday night this week, and will go on sale Monday. Demand is expected to be very high, but Sony is supposedly cutting down on supply of the new console.

The regular 40GB Playstation 3 will also be dropping in price to match its counterpart at $299, but sadly the 80GB Playstation 3 will only be benefiting from a $50 price-drop, to $449.99

As of Monday, January 28, 2008 there will be 3 Playstation 3 SKU's available in the US market.

40GB White Playstation 3 - $299.99 (missing B/C, 2 USB ports, and memory-card readers)
40GB Black Playstation 3 - $299.99 (missing B/C, 2 USB ports, and memory-card readers)
80GB Black Playstation 3 - $449.99 (software based B/C, 4 USB pots, has memory card readers)

No news on a 80GB Ceramic White Playstation 3 as of right now, but Sony is staying open to the idea. Their game plan as of right now is to move as many Playstation 3 units by March, 31, 2008 as possible, this has to do something with Warner's exclusivity deal, we'll get back to you on this as soon as we learn more.

Source: http://gamerumor.blogspot.com/2008/01/299-ceramic-white-playstation-3.html

Opinions?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The best thing to come from this rumor is that it is so specific that it should die fast once the day passes.

Kyoufu

straydog1980 said:
lol @ making it cheaper and white to pick up the "OOPS I MEANT TO GET TEH WII" sales.

lol yeah because people can't tell the difference between an ipod and a grill amirite?

I hope this is true if only for the GAF meltdown. And to quiet the retards who think the PS3 will destroy the world if it was only under $300.

GhaleonEB

I get a kick out of all the new details in this one. It's either true (hahaha.....ha?) or a rumor that's taken on a life of its own. Either way it's specific enough that it will die on Monday.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
YES! I am sooo playing Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 on day one if this turns out to be true.

Firewire

Banned
This is kind of interesting about a Best Buy store....:lol

"A guy was just at the sterling, VA store and they had about two pallets of the 40gb ps3 version in the first isle at a manager's special of $299.

The sign said this store only.

He has left all the stores information so you can contact them.

Store#: 146
zip: 20165
phone: 703-430-2150

PStriple703 has since called the store:

"the customer service rep said they stopped it cause they got in trouble for it..."

I won't link it as I don't want to promote the site I saw it on.

ith3r

Banned
Can we start banning unsourced "rumors" like this please?

If it comes from a proven insider or a games journo I could see the merit in discussing it, but the source is just some backyard piece of shit blogspot hosted blog...

I should register consolemegatons.blogspot.com, start making outrageous shit up and then rack in the adsense dolars from credulous fanboys everywhere.

carlosp

Banned
Ranger X said:
I don't see the business sense in all this.

variety :D

sony_pink_ps2_bg.jpg

5810_large_ps2_white_angled-alt.jpg

ps2.jpg

slimps22011.jpg

FordStang

m tired of hearing about this rumor. And if it stands to be true, I'm going to be pissed...since I bought my PS3 a month and a half ago

Nolan.

Kyoufu said:
lol yeah because people can't tell the difference between an ipod and a grill amirite?

Lol probably hoping for really silly parents or adults that would probably go ''Ah this is white and has motion sensing''

Mrbob

A price drop so soon after Xmas seems odd though.

Of course, perhaps Sony isn't happy with how PS3 sales have been in non holiday season so perhaps they are trying to get a kickstart to keep things rolling and not go back to 100K sold a month.

Only a 50 dollar price drop on the 80GB model is strange.

Somnia

I'd be interested to see if demand of the 40gig goes up if this rumor actually becomes true...because as of right now everyone wants the 80gig when they come into mystore. I always ask them if PS2 backwards comp. means anything to them...if not I sell them on the 40gig because most people think the graphics and stuff are probably better on the 80gig...oh the general public :lol

Firewire

Banned
Its all bogus BS guys. It would be the stupidest thing in the world for Sony to do a price cut now, the only believable thing about it is that the white PS3 is coming to N.A.

Mrbob

The last part of the Warner section is interesting.

Perhaps they put an ultimatum on Sony to start selling more PS3s if they were to go Blu Ray exclusive. I have a hard time believing this but who knows.

Oni Jazar

January & Febuary are the two slowest months of retail.

No way in hell would they drop the price so much at this point.

Top Bottom