• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

gcubed

Mrbob said:
A price drop so soon after Xmas seems odd though.

Of course, perhaps Sony isn't happy with how PS3 sales have been in non holiday season so perhaps they are trying to get a kickstart to keep things rolling and not go back to 100K sold a month.

Only a 50 dollar price drop on the 80GB model is strange.

no matter what hapens with this rumor, i dont see the 80GB staying around for long. If its not available ANYWHERE else, i dont see it staying available only in the us. Having to run a seperate line to produce a handful of consoles? Waste of money.

Dave Long

Banned
The only good thing about this rumor is that if it is true, I should be able to recoup $100 from my investment in PS3 a week and a half ago at Best Buy. :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mrbob said:
A price drop so soon after Xmas seems odd though.

Of course, perhaps Sony isn't happy with how PS3 sales have been in non holiday season so perhaps they are trying to get a kickstart to keep things rolling and not go back to 100K sold a month.

Only a 50 dollar price drop on the 80GB model is strange.

No it isn't the profitable model, and at the very least it would subsidize the $300 which would lose so much money.

If I were sony I would price drop both SKU's by $50, then I would lower the 40 gig model to $300 once GTA comes out.

NekoFever

DevilWillcry said:
Sony is racist?
0db1831ebfd1ae3a6c2782b6e3b1e084.jpg

Madman

Firewire said:
Its all bogus BS guys. It would be the stupidest thing in the world for Sony to do a price cut now, the only believable thing about it is that the white PS3 is coming to N.A.
What would be bad about a price drop? Especially one that hits the 299 price point.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I could see a white 40GB, but a $100 price drop 3-4 months after the last one? I doubt we will see anything until X-mas 08.

rs7k

Called the 703 number... apparently they had a sale three weeks ago for 40 GB PS3s at $299. Nothing else in the pipeline.

I hope I can get a price match for the difference if this is true. Bought my 40gb PS3 in middle of dec @ best buy. I seriously doubt this rumor though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
gcubed said:
no matter what hapens with this rumor, i dont see the 80GB staying around for long. If its not available ANYWHERE else, i dont see it staying available only in the us. Having to run a seperate line to produce a handful of consoles? Waste of money.

Consdiering that it is probably the most profitable one, I could see them continue the 80 gig model.

With some backwards compatibility, but essentially the same Motherboard as the 40 gig.

No6

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I hope I can get a price match for the difference if this is true. Bought my 40gb PS3 in middle of dec @ best buy. I seriously doubt this rumor though.
I thought products bought at stores like BB/CC had an extended return window if bought during Nov-Dec. Either way, at a minimum this would mean that almost everyone who bought a system a few days after xmas would instantly be able to pricematch, and if the extension holds just about everyone who bought a system since November would get money back. There is zero chance that BB/CC is going to like that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
maybe big Sony have another 500 million US dollar but they don't want to give it to Some hollywood studio to moneyhat them ( since format war is over now ) and decided give it to their baby sister SCE to make a 100$ cut on PS3 without losing so much ?

Riddick

NOT AGAIN!

First it was the 299$ rumor, then it was the Ninja Gaiden 2 rumor then the Splintel Cell rumor and now again the 299$ rumor. We've made a full circle in 1 day!

Why don't the mods lock this crap?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
This is such BS. The funny thing about a rumor like this is some people will actually hold off on buying a PS3 because of it and then January's NPDs am rosebudded.

RBH

Riddick said:
NOT AGAIN!

First it was the 299$ rumor, then it was the Ninja Gaiden 2 rumor then the Splintel Cell rumor and now again the 299$ rumor. We've made a full circle in 1 day!

Why don't the mods lock this crap?

botticus

No6 said:
I thought products bought at stores like BB/CC had an extended return window if bought during Nov-Dec. Either way, at a minimum this would mean that almost everyone who bought a system a few days after xmas would instantly be able to pricematch, and if the extension holds just about everyone who bought a system since November would get money back. There is zero chance that BB/CC is going to like that.
Holiday return policies generally extend to January 31. However, I don't know if that applies to pricematching. Assuming it happened on Monday, and you acted immediately, you'd get your money back one way or the other, but it might be as annoying as returning your system and buying a new one cheaper if it was more than 30 days ago. Needless to say, new customers and store employees would not be happy.

Elios83

Definetly BS :p
But I'm sure that we're going to have a few announcements about new SKUs, price cuts and bundles in April when Sony's fiscal year 08 begins and GTA4 and MGS4 will be on the starting line.

Mrbob

The more I think about it, the more this does make sense.

PS3 coming off a lukewarm holiday. Blu Ray just won. Sony needs to stimulate PS3 sales some more. A $299.99 PS3 would change everything. This would be a massive kickoff for PS3 sales in 2008 with momentum which could carry them a long time. It would also show SCEA is dedicated to be in it to win it, and not just linger around in 3rd place. Looking at Nov/Dec hardware sales, it is obvious the PS3 is still priced a bit high for the market at the moment. Do they really want to wait another 7 months with 100-150K monthly sales per month before dropping the price? This would also be a preemptive strike at boosting hardware sales before GTA4 is out. With Blu Ray winning they need to show studios they can get more PS3s in home to sell more Blu Ray movies.

It almost makes too much sense to market a $299.99 model now. This is why I don't think it will happen.

Firewire

Banned
Madman said:
What would be bad about a price drop? Especially one that hits the 299 price point.

Doing it after you're biggest selling season of the year makes no sense, and pisses off people who purchased them around x-mass. Also there is no incentive to do it now, if Sony were to do this, doing it around a big exclusive game like MGS4 or GT5 would make it better received.

Personally I don't think there will be a price drop in '08 from either MS or Sony, unless one of them decides to up the other & then the other will have to respond. Both consoles are still loosing money from a hardware perspective, and both would like to improve that situation before another price cut is announced.

Just my 2 cents.

No6 said:

Yeah, I cant see BB or CC etc refunding all that money.

btrboyev

another price drop so soon would piss a lot of buyers off...they just dropped in nov/dec. Secondly it would look bad to have a 3rd price drop in a 6 month span.

Best Buy Offering The First $299 40Gb PS3 Anego Montoya FTMFW - contributor - Tipsed by: jujunogo
Published: 3 hours ago | News | PlayStation 3 | Gaming | Industry News | Tech Info Report

A guy was just at the sterling, VA store and they had about two pallets of the 40gb ps3 version in the first isle at a manager's special of $299.

The sign said this store only.

He has left all the stores information so you can contact them.

Store#: 146
zip: 20165
phone: 703-430-2150

PStriple703 has since called the store:

"the customer service rep said they stopped it cause they got in trouble for it..."

Updates:
Maddens Raiders`s:

"Just called my Best Buy. -
They said that the 40GB is $299, but you have to buy a $999.00 TV. I asked them for how long it's good for and they said until Saturday night at Midnight. I asked her when it will be made $299 w/o the telly purchase and she said she couldn't tell me that."

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-103197.aspx

100 pages coming up.

LiveWire

Man, if this is true, fuck, I'll be burned twice in a year. First iPhone, and now this! I just bought one Sony, you fuckers! :shakes fist:

rothbart

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah, I cant see BB or CC etc refunding all that money.

I'm pretty sure it's just 30 days... can anyone confirm or deny that? :lol

BTW, as much as I'd like to see the prices down now, I can't see such an aggressive move as this coming right now. I mean I'd like to, but these things don't happen like this...

SRG01

If this happens, I'm selling my 60GB to my friend and picking up one of these babies IMMEDIATELY.

Screw BC, I'm making a profit! :lol

edit: Wait, no mention of a DS3? :(

Dever

Banned
I'll be the blind optimist here and say that it might happen. I'm such a fucking fanboy... :p

If it doesn't happen, oh well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Firewire said:
Doing it after you're biggest selling season of the year makes no sense, and pisses off people who purchased them around x-mass. Also there is no incentive to do it now, if Sony were to do this, doing it around a big exclusive game like MGS4 or GT5 would make it better received.

Just my 2 cents.

i know it's not true , but this is good time for price cut for PS3

The Show ,Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ( NA ver ) hot Shot golf 5 , Singstar , DMC4 , GTA4 , Lost planet , condemned 2 ..ect ( plus japanese title region free ) and all the new blu-ray releases ..

it's good time ..but it it wont happen

Dever

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Wasn't this already debunked by Kaz yesterday?

Was it? That would put a pretty big dent to this rumor. But we really can't know for sure until the 28th. Companies always deny things that haven't been announced yet...

Core407 said:
The blog is looking for hits

Yup. They don't even have their own domain, which is laughable. This crap got debunked yesterday. There is absolutely no credence to this coming up a second time.

Rapping Granny said:

Updates:
Maddens Raiders`s:

"Just called my Best Buy. -
They said that the 40GB is $299, but you have to buy a $999.00 TV. I asked them for how long it's good for and they said until Saturday night at Midnight. I asked her when it will be made $299 w/o the telly purchase and she said she couldn't tell me that."

Oh well in that case the 40GB PS3 is FREE* in the UK!

*not free

Top Bottom