• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

Seriously I'm really shocked about how many people want this to be false, take it easy, PS3 sales are not going to increase dramatically if it is true :lol

In my opinion, releasing a non-backwards compatible system for $200 less was a rumour much more unbelievable than simply lowering the prices $100 after christmas...

jts

...hate me...
mio said:
Europe is getting a new Starter Pack by Jan 30. PS3 40GB + 2 games + 2 sixaxis = €500.

IF it was 400 or even 450, i guess that a new standalone price was in the making. But it's 500, and knowing that a new SKU will last for at least a while, AND prices in europe tend to be similar to america's (you know, ignoring the exchange rates) i think that it's safe to bet a testicle that a $300 PS3 won't happen so soon.
oh and btw, since everybody likes pics

c711719930754.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fuzzy said:
Sony's clearing stock so it can start including the DS3 in all models worldwide.

I'm trying to remember if they did a similar thing when transitioning from the PS1 controller to the original DualShock.

mio said:
Europe is getting a new Starter Pack by Jan 30. PS3 40GB + 2 games + 2 sixaxis = €500.

Isn't that what the old 60GB starter pack retailed for as well? So if you consider just hardware features, it's a worse deal now than it was then.

Raist

Banned
Worm_Buffet said:
Isn't that what the old 60GB starter pack retailed for as well?

Yep.

In Europe we went from 599€ PS3 (60GB) to 599€ Starter pack (june) to 499€ starter pack (sept). And then the 40GB was released in october.

kikonawa

Worm_Buffet said:
Isn't that what the old 60GB starter pack retailed for as well? So if you consider just hardware features, it's a worse deal now than it was then.
i dunno, comparing 2 1st gen launchgames to uncharted and ratchet? doesnt make much sense since you can buy motorstorm and resistance for less than half price secondhand everywhere

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Faceless Master said:
so they give you two controllers ... and uncharted ... and ratchet ... uhh
In the age of wireless controllers, it's always good to have a spare controller charging/charged.

jts

...hate me...
That €500 60GB starter pack really was a steal. One could argue that the 40GB had an inferior price point by €100, but it wasn't hard to sell the extra stuff by that much or even more and keep the superior hardware console.

So yeah, keeping the starter pack price with a cheaper console doesn't seem right, but lets face it: it's not bad considering the standalone price.

carlosp

Banned
this a damn good deal for a starter pack. You get to blockbuster games, plus an extra controller.

PS3 = 399
Uncharted= 69
Ratchet = 69
Sixaxis = 50
-------------------

587 €

you save 87 euro

carlosp said:
this a damn good deal for a starter pack. You get to blockbuster games, plus an extra controller.

"Blockbuster"? two good games certainly, great possibly, but blockbuster implies a level of sales that those titles dont have ( pre bundling anyway).

kikonawa said:
i dunno, comparing 2 1st gen launchgames to uncharted and ratchet? doesnt make much sense since you can buy motorstorm and resistance for less than half price secondhand everywhere

I recognize that, and that's why I said "if you consider just hardware features". In Switzerland, the old starter pack came with Motorstorm and F1 so this is definitely an improvement.

Amusingly, this starter pack comes with two controllers, but none of the included games actually support two-player? That is sloppy of Sony and won't make much sense to the average consumer.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wait...

DS3s still aren't out in the wild yet (US)? The fuck is wrong w/ Sony?

That Starter Pack is a scam...its the same price as the 60GB Starter Pack had. I wonder if they will ever include the Dual Shock 3 in the box someday...

I'm starting to see PS2 BC really going away. Its not a good view.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It should've been included in 4th quarter shipments IMO. Rumble, or lack thereof was not a good look. It's been damn near a year since they said they'd include it. The 'Duke' controller on the OG XBOX was phased out ASAP. This should not have been any different.

Are most games coding in rumble support now?

So what happening? is this true or what, quite frankly this thread is the only thing stopping me from getting a PS3 right now.

Recent history shows me that rumours like this normally end up being true sooner or later.

Burai

shitonmychest57
DaCocoBrova said:
Wait...

DS3s still aren't out in the wild yet (US)? The fuck is wrong w/ Sony?

They are still pretty supply constrained in Japan at the moment.

They could launch in the US, but they'd have nothing to sell.

It would be a no-brainer to assume that a "new" version of the PS3 will have rumble-enabled, Dual Shock 3's, right?

Seems insane if this is not the case.

jts

...hate me...
awesomeapproved said:
It would be a no-brainer to assume that a "new" version of the PS3 will have rumble-enabled, Dual Shock 3's, right?

Seems insane if this is not the case.
What i don't believe is that they'll ever make Sixaxis in white, it's just such a waste.

So there won't be a White PS3 without DS3. I could bet my other testicle on it.

mio said:
What i don't believe is that they'll ever make Sixaxis in white, it's just such a waste.

Save your testicle for another time. The white PS3s in Asia already come with a white Sixaxis. Doesn't really make any sense, I know.

jts

...hate me...
Worm_Buffet said:
Save your testicle for another time. The white PS3s in Asia already come with a white Sixaxis. Doesn't really make any sense, I know.
Wow, Sony really needs to get their shit together. Nothing makes sense anymore.

spwolf

mio said:

doesnt White PS3 have white sixaxis?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
This rumor sounds completely fake but then again I thought the same when the 40GB rumor came about.

I think a $50 drop would be ok for GTA release.

$349.99 - 40G white/black with DS3 advertised with demos preinstalled on the harddrive and HOME.
$399.99 - to clear the 80Gs out of the channel. I am sure sony has no intent to keep this sku alive for too long.

Top Bottom