• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Rand al Thor 19 said:
Wouldn't Sony you know... want to start making some money of the PS3???

I think they're making enough money off of the phenomenal PS2 sales to balance things out. Coupled with what looks like a Blu-ray win, I expect them to show more aggression than usual. They've always been about momentum, but they have a lot of lost ground to make up for this year.

I'm not saying the price is going to drop next week, y'know. I'm just sayin'. ;)

here's a deal: lets keep this until monday. if it happens, props to the site, if it doesn't, just ban the site and we will never hear anything out of gamerumor something again.

i know there's 99% chance this won't happen, but what do we know about warner/other blu ray studios and blu ray players intalled base? anything on an agreement or the last part of that article just BS?

gkryhewy

I don't get why people are so sensitive about this rumor/thread staying alive, especially those who think it's a result of MS FUD. The rumor has a specific date attached to it. Do you really think MS is that desperate for Sony to sell 40k PS3s in the US this week rather than 50k?

Draft

genjiZERO said:
so the base line PS3s only have 2 USB slots? How are you supposed to play multiplayer games (ahem Rockband) that use multiple slots?
Assuming they are just regular USB ports like you would find on a PC, you can plug a hub in.

X26

Banned
...7 pages?

I mean...what? How can people possibly put any stock into this rumour and drive a 300+ post discussion?

dolemite

X26 said:
...7 pages?

I mean...what? How can people possibly put any stock into this rumour and drive a 300+ post discussion?
Well, it's January and no good games released over the past two weeks.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Tom Penny said:
I think they will do whatever it takes to make blu-ray successful. The gaming part is secondary to them.

The PS3 has done its job in the HDM war it is over. Now for blu to take off it will be up to stand alone players. A price drop now just cuts off the legs of every blu CE not named sony. Until standalone player sales over take the PS3 blu will just be a side note.

I'd love to believe this but it is too hard to believe.

An awesome side-effect would be that MS would have to drop their price too.

And then GTA would be released. Ooooooh sales-age.

Skenzin

Banned
Scariest part of this rumor is how many gaffers want it not to be true.

Humanity doesn't deserve a $299 ps3.

Personally heres my thoughts on ps3 pricing.

$599 - never
$499 - might as well be $599
$399 - Premium price for 3rd place experience.
$299 - sure, why not. Ill bite. Whats this uncharted thing all about.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Skenzin said:
Scariest part of this rumor is how many gaffers want it not to be true.
January 28th is more than 30 days after Christmas so they can't price match their month old PS3. :D

pilonv1 said:
Which is why it makes zero sense. You don't drop US$100 a month after Xmas and piss off everyone who bought one before. And if they can cut $100 now they should have taken the hit before Xmas for the extra sales.

Why would Nintendo announce a new game boy in January when they had record GBA sales the month before?

GBA SP

genjiZERO

Draft said:
Assuming they are just regular USB ports like you would find on a PC, you can plug a hub in.

IC - that sux though - it's not like the USB slot really adds that much to the cost of each unit. Glad I got a 60gig when they were 'cheap'

dolemite

I decided to scavenge the BB site (in a false hope of finding a 299$ PS3) and bumped into this:
ac1.jpg
:D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
oneHeero said:
Next-gen topic means next-gen games.

I'm serious

Dead serious

Yes, because all PS3 owners are ignorant people who live in their PS3 shaped little bubbles.

Puh-leeze, good gamers should like good games, no matter what console it is on

koam

oneHeero said:
Next-gen topic means next-gen games.

I'm serious

Dead serious

You're also an idiot.

God i really want the PS3 to drop to $299 so i can buy it. It's just too expensive right now since the only game i want is rockband at the moment.

xaosslug said:
so... real, fake- WTF? WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ACTIVE/OPEN?!? :lol
this rumor must have hit retail, because the electronics dude mentioned the white PS3 and it would sell for less then the current PS3. If this is true, it's mine.

raYne said:
Yes, doitdoit.gif!

If you think everyone cares about B/C, you're mistaken. I've never purchased a system in my life with any intention to play old games on it.. and I know I'm not alone.

That said, it isn't like it'd be the only sku.
word , word, i so agree. im tired of all the babies complaining WAH WAH I WAN MA BAKWADS COMPABABIWITY. sonys plan is to move us forward, not back. most ps2 ers player socom mostly, and confrentation will put a sock in the babies mouth

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
If they want a good chance of really making a huge impact this year, a price drop to $299 would be fantastic for everyone and Sony would without doubt see a massive increase in sales. Coupled with a much better line up of games this year, if this is what Sony is doing, then I believe it would be very, very smart.

Considering the fear of the fanboys in this thread, I think that's just added proof.

We'll see soon enough what's going on.

Zeke

Bearillusion said:
Why not just ignore the next thread that someone starts about them instead?
because that would be too smart and people would miss the opportunity to bitch about something.

The Ceramic White PS3 is believable. The price drop, not so much...

But I DO know a mass of people that would pick one up if the price drop were true.

Yoboman said:
Too many price drops. It reeks of desperation if they're dropping the price again IMO

Do you think the core consumer really notices desperation with things like this? And if so, does it really matter? It's all business.

$299 white PS3 and I am IN.

Top Bottom