• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

GhaleonEB said:
But they mean it this time!

How about SCEA spokeswoman Kimberly Otzman with these comments 5 months before the first price drop:

Although analysts say price reductions would benefit PS3 sales, Sony isn't likely to make any price cuts for at least another two years, said Kimberly Otzman, a spokeswoman for Sony Computer Entertainment America. She noted a similar time frame for lowered prices for the PS2. "We probably expect the same for PS3," Otzman said, adding that while the console's price is higher than competitors', it comes completely packaged so consumers don't have to buy extra equipment or attachments." Meanwhile, Sony has said it is looking into expanding into music and movie downloads via the PS3, which comes equipped with the new high-definition DVD format - called Blu-ray.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sony-ps3-price-cut-not-likely-for-two-years-239816.php

GhaleonEB

OldJadedGamer said:
How about SCEA spokeswoman Kimberly Otzman with these comments 5 months before the first price drop:

Although analysts say price reductions would benefit PS3 sales, Sony isn't likely to make any price cuts for at least another two years, said Kimberly Otzman, a spokeswoman for Sony Computer Entertainment America. She noted a similar time frame for lowered prices for the PS2. "We probably expect the same for PS3," Otzman said, adding that while the console's price is higher than competitors', it comes completely packaged so consumers don't have to buy extra equipment or attachments." Meanwhile, Sony has said it is looking into expanding into music and movie downloads via the PS3, which comes equipped with the new high-definition DVD format - called Blu-ray.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/sony-ps3-price-cut-not-likely-for-two-years-239816.php
Important caveat.

Rand al Thor 19

Wouldn't Sony you know... want to start making some money of the PS3??? Two $100 price drops two months apart can't be good for Sony's bottom line even if production costs have fallen drasticly. Anyways, I don't believe the rumor. And even if the PS3 did drop the price, I wouldn't buy one. I'd just wait till March and by the PS3 when its $199. :D

botticus

Okay... if the ads for the week mentioned in this rumor weren't enough, the Circuit City ad for the next week (2/3-2/9):

PS3 40 GB Game System >>>> $399.99 w/Free Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray
Disc + Free Remote Control

dolemite

Sony is denying the rumor, but then they denied the 40GB rumor as well:
Despite online reports suggesting others, SCEA says a $299 PS3 is nothing more than wishful thinking.

"We have no plans for any pricing announcements on PS3," a Sony representative told GamePro in an email on Tuesday. "What you are hearing is purely rumor and speculation."

Rumors of a PS3 price drop to $299 surfaced on Monday in connection with the newly confirmed white PS3.

According to multiple (and some hokey) reports, the $299 PS3 news stems from "several posters at SlickDeals.net," something a website administrator later clarified to just one vague and dated reference on an unrelated thread.
http://ps3gangsta.com/blog/15.html

Draft

I still want to believe. I have been juggling between a PSP and an 8800GT for a while now, and a $300 PS3 would quite easily come in there and bitch smack both of them out of contention.

Rolf NB

botticus said:
Okay... if the ads for the week mentioned in this rumor weren't enough, the Circuit City ad for the next week (2/3-2/9):
PS3 40 GB Game System >>>> $399.99 w/Free Spider-man 3 Blu-Ray
Disc + Free Remote Control
Oh god better buy PS3s now because the price is going to go back up to 399$ very soon!

x3sphere

I dunno... seems too early for Sony to cut the price right now. Especially by $100. I think Kaz is telling the truth here.

It'd be more realistic to expect a price cut in Q2 2008.

dolemite said:
Sony is denying the rumor, but then they denied the 40GB rumor as well:

This brings up an interesting point. When has Sony ever *not* denied a price cut when it was rumored to go down?

Like I linked above, they even denied a week before they dropped it back at E3. Can company representatives (from any company actually) really be a trusted source to say it's not true since even when it is true, they lie about it.

Tideas

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
This brings up an interesting point. When has Sony ever *not* denied a price cut when it was rumored to go down?

Like I linked above, they even denied a week before they dropped it back at E3. Can company representatives (from any company actually) really be a trusted source to say it's not true since even when it is true, they lie about it.

no, but plausible commonality and common sense can be trusted. There's no reason to drop it unless they've managed to lower the cost of the PS3 down to $300

Draft

Maybe Sony is overnighting "$299" stickers for in-store displays and flyers to all American retailers as I type.

Tideas said:
no, but plausible commonality and common sense can be trusted. There's no reason to drop it unless they've managed to lower the cost of the PS3 down to $300

While I would normally agree, they did do two different price drops just three months apart.

Tideas

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
While I would normally agree, they did do two different price drops just three months apart.

that's because the ps3 was doing poorly then. Now, not so much. Worldwide sales, it must be keeping up with the pack. This is from a common sense of view.

But from a gamer's view, a drop to $300 would totally rock. It's finally in the "affordable" price range, where the 360 has always been, and is $50 within the Wii.

If you ask a kid would he get a Wii or a PS3 for $50, I'm gonna say he'd be more inclined at the PS3, especially if he has a ps2 before.

a drop to 300 would just totally swing momentum to the PS3's way worldwide.

But back to common sense, this aint happening until at least Sept or even January of next year

Rolf NB

OldJadedGamer said:

Let me get a clear reading here: are you just now saying that this has become more likely to happen because they are denying it?

bcn-ron said:
Let me get a clear reading here: are you just now saying that this has become more likely to happen because they are denying it?

:lol :lol

Now they are pretty much saying, there is still a chance..Sony am liars..

I am going to wait out..I hope sales slow down so there are price cuts.

bcn-ron said:

No, what I'm saying is that when has Sony ever *not* denied a price drop rumor. It was mostly a comment for the guys who say the thread should close just because Kaz denied it.

bcn-ron said:

no, he's saying that it doesn't matter what Sony says, since PR mouthpieces will NEVER confirm these things in advance, no matter what. If it was hitting stores tomorrow morning, they STILL probably wouldn't tell you.

If it is true, then it will show a massive level of desperation for Sony. Even so, I doubt it will help it take on the Wii, other than seeing a decent spike for a month or two. And more than ever, it will be bought primarily as a Blu Ray player. Either way, game sales are going to continue to be devastatingly low. From a $600 top sku down to a $300 sku in 1 year and two months? It would be desperation on the level of what Toshiba is doing with their stand-alone HD-DVD players. Sony's third party support for the system can be equated to Toshiba's support as well, in relation to Blu Ray, because it's a fact that both the Wii and 360 have far more third party games in development.

What will be funny, though, is to see the $250 Wii still continue to dominate the $300 PS3 :lol

teh price advantage!!

Rolf NB

OldJadedGamer said:
No, what I'm saying is that when has Sony ever *not* denied a price drop rumor. It was mostly a comment for the guys who say the thread should close just because Kaz denied it.
So you're just fueling the fires, gotcha.
This crock of shit should die because it already did that yesterday, and there is no way to debunk it without waiting it out, which is of course what all this was designed to achieve in the first place.

jts

...hate me...
Europe is getting a new Starter Pack by Jan 30. PS3 40GB + 2 games + 2 sixaxis = €500.

IF it was 400 or even 450, i guess that a new standalone price was in the making. But it's 500, and knowing that a new SKU will last for at least a while, AND prices in europe tend to be similar to america's (you know, ignoring the exchange rates) i think that it's safe to bet a testicle that a $300 PS3 won't happen so soon.

dolemite

cortland_andrus said:
What will be funny, though, is to see the $250 Wii still continue to dominate the $300 PS3 :lol

teh price advantage!!
Well, a used Wii is priced higher than a used 40 GB, so it's not just the price that's driving the Wii sales.

Odrion

Banned
Manmademan said:
no, he's saying that it doesn't matter what Sony says, since PR mouthpieces will NEVER confirm these things in advance, no matter what. If it was hitting stores tomorrow morning, they STILL probably wouldn't tell you.
Ceramic white PS3 hitting stores tomorrow confirmed.

genjiZERO

so the base line PS3s only have 2 USB slots? How are you supposed to play multiplayer games (ahem Rockband) that use multiple slots?

tino

Banned
Look, this is the PS3 price shcedule, why is it so hard to understand:

Late 2006: 599/499
Mid 2007: 499/399 (60GB was quickly replaced by the 80GB bindle)
Late 2007: 399 only
Late 2008: 299 (with a new 399 bundle),
Late 2009: 299 with better bundles
mid/E3 2010: 199, again with a more expensive bundle
mid/E3 2011: 179
mid/E3 2012:149
mid/E3 2014:129
ride it out till the end of the 10-year cycle

Just check the PS2 price history on wikipedia, its very easy to predict Sony's pricing history. They have only dropped 30 bux for the PSP in 2 years! They are not going to drop the PS3 price so soon.

edit:
here I get the PS2 price history for you:
============================================
* US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, release date) (CAD$449.99)
* US$199.99 (May 14, 2002) (CAD$299.99)
* US$179.99 (May 13, 2003, "temporary" pricing) (CAD$249.99)[32]
* US$179.99 (August 18, 2003, official pricing)[33]
* US$149.99 (May 11, 2004) (CAD$179.99)
* US$129.99 (April 20, 2006) (CAD$139.99)
============================================

Guy Legend

Dr_Cogent said:
The thought of a $299 PS3 is great even if it isn't true. We don't know anything for sure.

Yes we do. A drop isn't happening to $299 anytime soon as this rumor was proven to be baseless (ie slickdeals admitted there was nothing behind this - this is where the rumor started).

End the thread.

Tom Penny

tino said:
Just check the PS2 price history on wikipedia, its very easy to predict Sony's pricing history. They have only dropped 30 bux for the PSP in 2 years! They are not going to drop the PS3 price so soon.

I think they will do whatever it takes to make blu-ray successful. The gaming part is secondary to them.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bcn-ron said:
So you're just fueling the fires, gotcha.
This crock of shit should die because it already did that yesterday, and there is no way to debunk it without waiting it out, which is of course what all this was designed to achieve in the first place.
So, in other words, Bump.

Top Bottom