• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: $299 Ceramic White Playstation 3 shipping to retailers any day

xaosslug

carlosp said:
sony_pink_ps2_bg.jpg

5810_large_ps2_white_angled-alt.jpg

these are only in Euroland, right? Do want. :(

I thought this was the same thread we had yesterday, lo and behold someone created a new thread. Has anyone actually read the actual source of this news? A blog with three entries

Playstation 3 gets another Price Cut on 28th January

Scans of Final Fantasy XIII (not linking 'cuz i like it heres)

$299 white PS3 shipping Monday 28th

All blog posts made Monday and Tuesday of this week. Someone is after hits people, stop giving it to them!

I'm gonna go make my own blogger account, a google ad account, and then make up stuff about new Black Wii's hitting February 30th for $199. Watch those dollars just roll on in.

bumpkin

Hmm, wonder if I can get the $50 back on the 80GB I got for Christmas; my fiance paid $499 and it's still within the Christmas exchange window.

Burai

shitonmychest57
BelligerentOC said:
If you look at it from a Blu Ray perspective, its a potentially smart decision. Universal and Paramount are HDDVD exclusive. If I'm them, I know that switching to the other side ends the format war. The only benefit for them to switch is for Blu Ray because HD movies arent selling enough to be a major source of income. So what I'd try to do is wait and see if Blu Ray caves and offers money (hundreds of millions) to just switch to end the war.

If this is happening and I'm Sony, I dont want to pay all that. Instead we could lower the price of the PS3 and get even more blu ray players into even more houses, forcing Universal and Paramount over without blowing a ton of money in a payout. Plus you get more PS3s out into consumer's hands.

It might be possible... /conspiracy theory

by the way, a ton of assumptions were made in this post

The HD disc war is all over already. It's just a matter of the HD-DVD exclusivity deals expiring. Sony don't need to aggressively price the PS3 or give out moneyhats. The fact that HD-DVD player and software sales plummeted to almost nothing in the wake of Warner's announcement will be more than enough to get them across.

jjasper

Himuro said:
I've got 60 + psx games and 80-90 ps2 games. A ps3 without bc is useless to me!

Well if it makes you feel any better all of the PSX games will work and probably 64-72 of the PS2 ones.

Jtrizzy

I can't imagine going back and playing last gen games with everything thats come out over the last few months on PS3.

Crisis

Banned
LOLtastic Article said:
40GB Black Playstation 3 - $299.99 (missing B/C, 2 USB ports, and memory-card readers)

There is no way that they would release a PS3 without those. PS backwards compatibility is software anyway. That costs them nothing to produce and adds tons of value. If they released a PS3 without USB ports how would you charge your controller? This entire article is bullshit.

Rolf NB

kaching said:
Jesus, you guys seem to have gotten more pissy about rumors lately.
Instigating false rumors of price cuts coming "soon" is one of the most damaging things you can do to a competing brand, true or not (and they'd more often not be true, of course). Look at October 2007's NPDs to clear any doubts you may have about that. I'd go as far as suggest that the mods stick price-cut rumors onto the catalog of offenses.

Crisis said:
There is no way that they would release a PS3 without those. PS backwards compatibility is software anyway. That costs them nothing to produce and adds tons of value. If they released a PS3 without USB ports how would you charge your controller? This entire article is bullshit.

Where have you been?

Burai said:
The HD disc war is all over already. It's just a matter of the HD-DVD exclusivity deals expiring. Sony don't need to aggressively price the PS3 or give out moneyhats. The fact that HD-DVD player and software sales plummeted to almost nothing in the wake of Warner's announcement will be more than enough to get them across.

I realize the war is over, but if I'm Uni or Par I'd look out for one of those sweet moneyhat deals... They are going to go Blu Ray, thats a given anymore. Might as well try to get some money out of it...

Kyoufu

Crisis said:

Feels like I'm reading a post from back when the 40GB was in rumour circulation :lol

Busty

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Instigating false rumors of price cuts coming "soon" is one of the most damaging things you can do to a competing brand, true or not (and they'd more often not be true, of course). Look at October 2007's NPDs to clear any doubts you may have about that. I'd go as far as suggest that the mods stick price-cut rumors onto the catalog of offenses.

Agreed. This is rumour mongering of the worse kind. I would have thought that GAF would be above this kind of thing by now.

Especially when he have a thread on the first page asking the question, "Did Sony stuff the channels?".

Crisis said:

Since everyone else is giving you shit. It would still have 2 USB ports according to the rumor... the older models had 4 USB slots... OR that comma might cancel out the 'removed' portion, meaning more like 'in addition to the removal of BC'

Crisis said:
Avoiding the fanboy flame war that this thread surely generated.

Well as mentioned, the listing you're asking about is the same 40GB unit that's on sale now but allegedly marked down to $299. Missing 2 USB ports and PS2 BC from the 80GB unit, it's not missing more features from the current 40GB unit.

Crisis

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Well as mentioned, the listing you're asking about is the same 40GB unit that's on sale now but allegedly marked down to $299. Missing 2 USB ports and PS2 BC from the 80GB unit, it's not missing more features from the current 40GB unit.

Ah. Thanks for clearing it up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
It is? I was definitely on the FUD train about the $400 PS3 with no BC, and we all saw how that worked out. :lol

Substantial evidence arrived to support that, though. There's no evidence here. The ads due for the period the original article claims shows no $299 PS3. If it were really happening, on Monday, we'd have various leakages by now. This is just some no-name blog's claim, and it really doesn't make any sense.

They cut to $399 just a couple of months ago, it had to have been HUGELY painful to do that, and it did have a good response, they saw big growth in the last two months of the year. There's absolutely no reason to cut now, again, especially in January which is probably one of the worst months for sales in the year.

If people believe this, they'll believe anything.

laserbeam

Banned
Doesn't seem very likely as Major retailers would have this in their systems etc already and it would have leaked long ago with proof.

Just like the last 299 rumor that ended up being a special Sony Credit card deal only i don't buy it

Personally I think something is happening as Sony hasn't mentioned anything regarding the fact that there are new 80GB SKUs sitting out there right now without MotorStorm packed in. With the proof from the FCC that the White 40GB unit is pretty much ready for launch, I'm sure we'll hear from Sony about these two new SKUs, the phasing out of the 80GB/MotorStorm bundle, and a confirmation (not likely) or denial of the price drop in the next few days.

pilonv1

[Nintex] said:
They should have done this during the holidays.

Which is why it makes zero sense. You don't drop US$100 a month after Xmas and piss off everyone who bought one before. And if they can cut $100 now they should have taken the hit before Xmas for the extra sales.

lupinko

Danj said:
We have black, pink and silver PStwo over here in Euroland.. I think white is Japan only.

Silver and White slimline PS2s are in North America. The Ceramic White model came in as a Singstar bundle.

Danielsan

TheDuce22 said:
Why are people willing to pay 100 dollars more for backwards compatabilty when you can get a used ps2 for like 50 bucks.
Upscaling and the ability to but ye old ps2 in the closet.

pilonv1 said:
Which is why it makes zero sense. You don't drop US$100 a month after Xmas and piss off everyone who bought one before. And if they can cut $100 now they should have taken the hit before Xmas for the extra sales.

Pissing off three people is not that big a deal if you can turn around and sell to millions.

gofreak said:
They cut to $399 just a couple of months ago, it had to have been HUGELY painful to do that, and it did have a good response, they saw big growth in the last two months of the year. There's absolutely no reason to cut now, again, especially in January which is probably one of the worst months for sales in the year.

Didn't they have two price drops pretty much right in a row? The system went from $600 to $400 in a matter of a few months but it wasn't all at once. Why wouldn't they keep dropping it? Seems like they have established a trend with recent cuts.

pilonv1

Byakuya769 said:
Pissing off three people is not that big a deal if you can turn around and sell to millions.

So sell millions before Xmas. It's a really stupid time to drop the price, unless they are desperate to hit that 11m worldwide.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zzoram said:
If the White PS3 40gb + DS3 is in stores for $299, I might have to buy one.

:lol now it should come be with DS3 ?

well this is better for you , white PS3 60GB + DS3 with PSeye + 10 PSn games in the HDD + R:FOM /KZ2 demo + R2 Mp beta demo + Spiderman blu-ray + 2 cute sluts for $199

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OldJadedGamer said:
Didn't they have two price drops pretty much right in a row? The system went from $600 to $400 in a matter of a few months but it wasn't all at once. Why wouldn't they keep dropping it? Seems like they have established a trend with recent cuts.

Two cuts doesn't establish a trend. They were clearly trying to hit the right note for Xmas. There is no such motivator here, now, in the middle of Jan :lol

$299 in 2008 would not be shocking, but now? Yeah..no.

They must have gone to EXTRAORDINARY lengths to get to $399 in 07. Many of us thought it wouldn't happen until 08. I'm sure they are done, done, done for the time being.

Danielsan

pilonv1 said:
So sell millions before Xmas. It's a really stupid time to drop the price, unless they are desperate to hit that 11m worldwide.
They didn't know about the about Warner's lovely gift before christmas.

TheDuce22

Banned
Danielsan said:
Upscaling and the ability to but ye old ps2 in the closet.

Bleh. Its time to move on anyway. Sell your Ps2 games while they are still worth something people! Odds are youll never play them again. I have a closet full of worthless PSOne and N64 games reminding me of that fact.

Wollan

This thread isn't locked yet? Why are we aiding these troll bloggers? Sony have denied it apparantly, next weeks store mags are out with traditional pricing..etc.

[Nintex]

Didn't they sell the Cell plant a couple of months ago? Perhaps the transition is complete and it should be alot cheaper to buy chips instead of running a production facility.

pilonv1

Just to debunk this again, the new PS3 bundle for Australia seems to be a black 40gb PS3, an extra Sixaxis and a choice of Ratchet&Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword of NBA 08 for AUS$799. Bundle runs from Jan 28-Apr 26.

Top Bottom